Ex-UConn coach Edsall a national punching bag - CT Post | The Boneyard

Ex-UConn coach Edsall a national punching bag - CT Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i don't think we needed the CTPost to tell us that. regardless of his performance so far it's still a little ridiculous to say they should fire him now. even if you wanted to pay up $10 million to buy him out, what candidates are available this point in the season to bring in?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't think the post is all-in with their FUCRE obsession.

They need to marinate in here for a while

Reaction Score
Awesome idea.

Not even a hate Edall board, just a hate Edsall thread. That way, all of the jilted lover, obsessed Edsall Haters can have a pity party in a nice organized fashion.

Reaction Score
I still looking for Dracula with Edsalls head photo shopped into it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why not have a seperate hate Edsall board?

Why stop there? Why not a seperate board for the ball-suckers that are still in Edsall's thrall.

Reaction Score
Sorry all you haters out there, but Randy Edsall will ultimately prevail in this saga. He is doing what is necessary to clean up an out of control program and the team that remains will win -- this year! Then all the media bashers can eat his droppings.

Reaction Score
Sorry all you haters out there, but Randy Edsall will ultimately prevail in this saga. He is doing what is necessary to clean up an out of control program and the team that remains will win -- this year! Then all the media bashers can eat his droppings.
Time will tell now won't it? Hopefully he does have success. Hard to believe that all of the 24 players who have left so far are all undisciplined malcontents, including the kid who graduated in three years and was a freshman all american QB prior to RE's arrival, and yet all we hear that Randy's failure this past year was related to the "mess" he inherited and never that maybe he went down there and created a mess when there was no need for it. Nostical, you really think its necessary to demand that players enter the practice facility through certain doors only? You don't think that type of change could somehow contribute to the problems that have arisen there? Whatever, I hope he wins, otherwise those who worship will him blame the "haters" for his lack of success at UMD and never for one second admit that the man had some serious shortcomings as a coach that were never exposed at UConn by virtue of the fact that "he led us from the transition from FCS to FBS and won two BE titles, and went 5 Bowl games".

Reaction Score
Time will tell now won't it? Hopefully he does have success. Hard to believe that all of the 24 players who have left so far are all undisciplined malcontents, including the kid who graduated in three years and was a freshman all american QB prior to RE's arrival, and yet all we hear that Randy's failure this past year was related to the "mess" he inherited and never that maybe he went down there and created a mess when there was no need for it. Nostical, you really think its necessary to demand that players enter the practice facility through certain doors only? You don't think that type of change could somehow contribute to the problems that have arisen there? Whatever, I hope he wins, otherwise those who worship will him blame the "haters" for his lack of success at UMD and never for one second admit that the man had some serious shortcomings as a coach that were never exposed at UConn by virtue of the fact that "he led us from the transition from FCS to FBS and won two BE titles, and went 5 Bowl games".

Would it be acceptable if I didn't give a rat's a## about his shortcoming as they show up at Maryland because it's only important to me what he did while at UConn? Or is that not going to be allowed?

Reaction Score

When are you guys going to come to grips with the fact that us "Apologistas", as you've labeled us, have consistently acknowledged and criticized Edsall's shortcomings as coach here at UConn? It's a rhetorical question of course, because we all know the answer.

Reaction Score
Whatever, I hope he wins, otherwise those who worship will him blame the "haters" for his lack of success at UMD and never for one second admit that the man had some serious shortcomings as a coach that were never exposed at UConn by virtue of the fact that "he led us from the transition from FCS to FBS and won two BE titles, and went 5 Bowl games".

This is the problem with you guys.

NOBODY WORSHIPS HIM.

All of those who have shown support for what he did at UConn have admitted he has weaknesses and made mistakes. All of us. It's his haters that refuse to give him any credit at all for what went right. Find one poster who will say Edsall doesn't have weaknesses, please. Just one!

Any success we had must be marginalized. Failing that, it must be credited to "institutional and state support". If not them, then it was the assistants. Or "any coach" could have done what he did (coming off a 5-7 year with a coach with a much better resume this argument really takes the cake). If not them it was the players that came to UConn in spite of being recruited by a "ducking idiot" who didn't want to be at UConn anyway (ignoring the fact he had one of the longest tenures in the conference).

There is no middle ground with you guys. You can't appreciate what was done because you hate the man that was at the helm. You can't admit there was success, so you marginalize it. As if going from FCS to 2 BCS championships and 5 bowls in 10 years is easy! And you have to portray anyone who appreciates the strides the program made the last 10 years as someone who "worships" the former head coach. You're making a mockery of yourselves with this nonsense.

Reaction Score

Edsall is a great organizer and a brilliant evaluator of talent. Unfortunately, those are not the skills needed in TerpTown.

In fact, his glaring weakness, his lack of public relation skills, is paramount to the problems in his program. The black cloud that hangs over College Park has made his job much tougher than it needs to be. It has affected the locker room, the board room and recruiting. He is eviscerated daily on sports radio.

Winning would solve those problems. But winning is tough when you can't even sell your own team. When other voices are competing with yours because you ave pissed off the entire community.

Randy may eventually get the team over 500. But that will not be good enough. The program might have been out of control, but it won double digit games under his successor. The bar is set a little too high for Randy to clear. Don't expect him to ever get an extension.

Reaction Score

NOBODY WORSHIPS HIM.

All of those who have shown support for what he did at UConn have admitted he has weaknesses and made mistakes. All of us. It's his haters that refuse to give him any credit at all for what went right. Find one poster who will say Edsall doesn't have weaknesses, please. Just one!

Any success we had must be marginalized. Failing that, it must be credited to "institutional and state support". If not them, then it was the assistants. Or "any coach" could have done what he did (coming off a 5-7 year with a coach with a much better resume this argument really takes the cake). If not them it was the players that came to UConn in spite of being recruited by a "ducking idiot" who didn't want to be at UConn anyway (ignoring the fact he had one of the longest tenures in the conference).

There is no middle ground with you guys. You can't appreciate what was done because you hate the man that was at the helm. You can't admit there was success, so you marginalize it. As if going from FCS to 2 BCS championships and 5 bowls in 10 years is easy! And you have to portray anyone who appreciates the strides the program made the last 10 years as someone who "worships" the former head coach. You're making a mockery of yourselves with this nonsense.

That is said far better than I could have said it. The only thing I would add is that there are some who purport to see no difference whatsoever between starting a thread to say something about our former coach or responding to what you disagree with in a thread that someone else starts. Whether that failure to discern a difference is just an arguing tactic or not having a grip on reality I'll leave to others.

Reaction Score

NOBODY WORSHIPS HIM.

Wing speaking for me and me only. I don't discredit what he accomplished, just thought he was limited and the program had an artificial ceiling. I feel the apologist camp started parroting randy speak when they went on that UConn fans shouldn't have expectations because there was no history. While he was here, if anyone commented on something like our the inability to develop a passing game, they were shouted down, and called complainers, because we had an all world running game, randy is no idiot, yadayadayada. When he left we heard from more than one poster how he would win big at UMD and how we would see more of uconn's shortcomings.

Now after he falls on his face in one year, we hear about the mess he inherited as the reason. The same people that defend him knock P for our record this year, when he inherited a walk on qb as his best option at the most crucial position, and a 170lb, freshman tb, for an offense designed to be smash mouth. I apologize if I can't make my point more clearly from my phone and will check back tonight.

Reaction Score
Would it be acceptable if I didn't give a rat's a## about his shortcoming as they show up at Maryland because it's only important to me what he did while at UConn? Or is that not going to be allowed?

I don't tell people what's acceptable to post and what isn't. I always thought that was your job.

Reaction Score
Final thought. Given time I believe Edsall could win 7-8, games there yearly. I don't think he is hapless as a coach. He has proven otherwise. Expecting much more than that would be a problem.

Reaction Score
I don't tell people what's acceptable to post and what isn't. I always thought that was your job.

My point exactly. Any time I state I don't care about Edsall at Maryland, I get back a totally unrelated statement of anger. But thanks.

Reaction Score
Wing speaking for me and me only. I don't discredit what he accomplished, just thought he was limited and the program had an artificial ceiling. I feel the apologist camp started parroting randy speak when they went on that UConn fans shouldn't have expectations because there was no history. While he was here, if anyone commented on something like our the inability to develop a passing game, they were shouted down, and called complainers, because we had an all world running game, randy is no idiot, yadayadayada. When he left we heard from more than one poster how he would win big at UMD and how we would see more of uconn's shortcomings.

Now after he falls on his face in one year, we hear about the mess he inherited as the reason. The same people that defend him knock P for our record this year, when he inherited a walk on qb as his best option at the most crucial position, and a 170lb, freshman tb, for an offense designed to be smash mouth. I apologize if I can't make my point more clearly from my phone and will check back tonight.

When you get back to your computer tonight, make sure you leave the strawmen outside.

Reaction Score
Final thought. Given time I believe Edsall could win 7-8, games there yearly. I don't think he is hapless as a coach. He has proven otherwise. Expecting much more than that would be a problem.

Reaction Score
My point exactly. Any time I state I don't care about Edsall at Maryland, I get back a totally unrelated statement of anger. But thanks.

You interject your point when im clearly responding to someone telling us he will succeed at UMD. That person obviously cares how he does at UMD, but thanks for telling me you don't. I don't care if he does and responded. In hindsight, I wish I didn't say worship. No one worships the dude, but again the same folks who bury P ALWAYS defended Edsall.

Reaction Score

NOBODY WORSHIPS HIM.

I'll write the following again, just because.

Edsall was hired to do a job, and he did it damn well. He was hired, in the aftermath of Skip Holtz leaving after our most successful football season in a 100 years, right in the middle of beaurocratic mess, that was the process of trying to make the upgrade from 1-AA, to 1-A, possible, after it was finally approved by the BOT in 1997. Skip Holtz was the guy that was supposed to lead us to the promised land through the valley of the shadow of death. Randy was hired, among a group of candidates that included current and former NFL coordiantors and head coaches. It was a good hire, because he turned out to be the exact kind of bull mentality that we needed. His charge was to build a program that would be competitive at the 1-A level, as we transitioned, and then be competitive in the Big East conference by 2005. He also became closely involved in all the infrastructure changes, facilities, etc. The quality of the facilities we've got now, Edsall had a TON of input. Great job all around.

What's also clear, is that the x's and o's and philosophy of the football program he built to be competitive first at the 1-A level, was completely different than the x's and o's and philosophy of football and style of play that we had once we became a big east member.

I think it's pretty clear that it was a purposeful decision. Other's I"m sure will debate that. Our offense became progressively less risky, the importance of the QB position and attacking vertically down the field on offense became progressively less important, and we won with a conservative style of defense, an offense that was entirely based on field position, and strong special teams.

My opinion, is that although the formula was successful for competition in the Big East, it left us short with competition in the national scale, and it made it progressively harder to recruit skill positions on offense.

What is not up for debate, is that Edsall's initial charges, were completed by 2007 with the first big east title. It's no coincidence that he first started looking for work elsewhere at that time.

It's also clear, that he did not attempt to change his formula, which is why, in 2011, after another big east title, in the same season that we got creamed by Michigan and Oklahoma, we were left with a roster in the condition it was in.

I wish Randy well, he did a great job at UConn, but somebody should have told him that he needs a new plan.

Reaction Score
You interject your point when im clearly responding to someone telling us he will succeed at UMD. That person obviously cares how he does at UMD, but thanks for telling me you don't. I don't care if he does and responded. In hindsight, I wish I didn't say worship. No one worships the dude, but again the same folks who bury P ALWAYS defended Edsall.

Noey: I read your posts all the time and have nothing against you personally. You quoted my prior post and typed a message below it. You honestly believe it's unfair to assume that when you quote me that you're then responding to what you quoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom