ESPN's image killing agenda | The Boneyard

ESPN's image killing agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many have remarked , or suggested, how ESPN may be going "out of its way" not to help UConn.

Saw their ESPN College football preview in which they suggest UConn's chances of winning AAC title is less than 1%.

The chances of beating any of our opponents, outside of Villanova, is less than 30%, and some odds are far worse than that.

Of course UConn has no one worth mentioning among elite AAC players.

I don't see why our Governor goes out of his way monetarily to keep them in the state, when in return ESPN basically "spits" on the State's most valuable commodity.

Don't want to upset any one, but I've become very........to put it in politically correct language, annoyed.

Reaction Score
Well we have heard of FedEx promising to fund Memphis' passage to the Big12. Why can't ESPN support the flagship university of the state of its residence? It's not like we're an invaluable program. And I'm not saying they should fund us like FedEx would supposedly do but they don't have to spit in our faces either.

Reaction Score
Folks, I hate break it to you, but based on our on filed performance the past two seasons UCONN is and is perceived as a bad football program.

I sincerely hope that starts to change this season, but given the schedule a 2-3 win season is squarely on the table. The odds of Jennifer Anniston calling me up begging for sex and UCONN winning the conference are about the same.

Reaction Score
Just so I understand your point..the Governor of Connecticut should put political pressure on an employer so they present the UCONN football program in a better light?
Why not. They strong arm everyone else. ESPN has done more damage to UConn through its influencing conference realignment , than Hathaway ever could have taken credit for. What once was an amazing network that put the BE on the map is now taking demise.

Reaction Score
ESPN will toot UConn's horn loud and clear when they deserve it but you got to win a few that your not supposed to. That gets attention. That gets you on Sports Center, not losing to USF, SMU and Army. Beat BYU and Mizzou. That's a guaranteed ticket to Sports Center.

Reaction Score
Just so I understand your point..the Governor of Connecticut should put political pressure on an employer so they present the UCONN football program in a better light?

I don't see why they'd put political pressure on an employer. It's more like, the state gives them all sorts of subsidies to build out. Just say, hey there ESPN, good job building this $500m Sportscenter set with our help. It's beautiful. Look at that 3D screen. When I saw the UConn Huskies highlights in 3D on that giant screen, my heart skipped a few beats, not only because we helped you build this studio, but because we are all huge UConn Husky fans!!!!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I believe that FedEx's interesting in promoting Memphis lies with their professional affiliation with the university as the holder of naming rights to their arena. With a move to a P5 conference, FedEx itself stands to get increased exposure and therefore more $$$. It has nothing to do with them being a "local" company, per se.

As far as ESPN goes:
  • They have no vested financial interest in UConn being in a P5 conference.
  • Although it would be wonderful if they could be our version of the Korean Central News Agency, that wouldn't be realistic for a company that markets itself as a news source (please, spare me the "but they do it for Duke and UK" comments). People complain vocally about ESPN, but they still read their articles because there's really no other agency that provides in-depth, nationwide coverage like they do.
But sure, keep wearing your tinfoil hats and flailing around.

Reaction Score
QUOTE="tduconn, post: 1381213, member: 1299"]Many have remarked , or suggested, how ESPN may be going "out of its way" not to help UConn.

Saw their ESPN College football preview in which they suggest UConn's chances of winning AAC title is less than 1%.

The chances of beating any of our opponents, outside of Villanova, is less than 30%, and some odds are far worse than that.

I don't see why our Governor goes out of his way monetarily to keep them in the state, when in return ESPN basically "spits" on the State's most valuable commodity.

Don't want to upset any one, but I've become very...to put it in politically correct language, annoyed.[/QUOTE]

Why not. They strong arm everyone else. ESPN has done more damage to UConn through its influencing conference realignment , than Hathaway ever could have taken credit for. What once was an amazing network that put the BE on the map is now taking demise.

Like wow man... Tdu, check with the city of Bristol and surrounding communities on how happy the over 4,000 employees are. Check on the property taxes paid etc. Check on what everyone that comes through there pays a state income tax on. I think with some real research you may find ESPN is one of the states most valuable commodities. You are obsessed with the talking head and taking it out on ESPN. Any other network with any sense would predict the same thing! Heck as a die hard fan I predict the same thing but I am not going to blame ESPN.

Blue Dog...We all have a few and expound here but you really should do some homework and realize if you think ESPN has done more harm to UCONN than Hathaway, you should seek help. ESPN did not put The Big East on the map, teams beating the Big and the ACC while winning championships did that. The BE was a basketball conference to start, have you missed that? ESPN is not in the least to blame for where we are.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Well we have heard of FedEx promising to fund Memphis' passage to the Big12. Why can't ESPN support the flagship university of the state of its residence? It's not like we're an invaluable program. And I'm not saying they should fund us like FedEx would supposedly do but they don't have to spit in our faces either.

Just like FedEx would fund Memphis in the AAC and being the Liberty Bowl on board? Memphis blows a lot of smoke.

Reaction Score
Folks, I hate break it to you, but based on our on filed performance the past two seasons UCONN is and is perceived as a bad football program.

I sincerely hope that starts to change this season, but given the schedule a 2-3 win season is squarely on the table. The odds of Jennifer Anniston calling me up begging for sex and UCONN winning the conference are about the same.
I'm pretty sure that Businesslawyer has claimed Jennifer Aniston as his girlfriend! I had to do a doubletake when I saw Jenny brought up in this blog and it was not BL.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

No they aren't. Your JA odds are a mere fraction of UConn's odds for winning the conference... and I really don't disagree with ESPN at all.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

ESPN unfairly trashed Big East/UConn FB from about 2005 (when Miami, BC, & VT left) until the Big East broke up. Since then, ESPN just ignores us.

Winning will help, but as long as we're in the AAC we won't get much love. And I don't expect ESPN to ever help us get into the P5. They just don't like us.

Reaction Score
No they aren't. Your JA odds are a mere fraction of UConn's odds for winning the conference... and I really don't disagree with ESPN at all.

Can't an old man have a fantasy?

Reaction Score
Many have remarked , or suggested, how ESPN may be going "out of its way" not to help UConn.

Don't want to upset any one, but I've become very...to put it in politically correct language, annoyed.
They are not alone is predicting UConn to be at the bottom of the AAC again. Other college football reviewers in print and on line all say the same thing. Remember how bad it was to watch UConn football last year? Who could predict that this will turn around in one season? Can't blame them on this. Blame them for not aiding in CR? Yes.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's what other governor's of other sates do. The legislature of Virginia put pressure on UVA and the ACC to get VT in the ACC.

It is ordinary business in other states to have state companies help state institutions.

The mystery why folks in Connecticut don't get it.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's what other governor's of other sates do. The legislature of Virginia put pressure on UVA and the ACC to get VT in the ACC.

It is ordinary business in other states to have state companies help state institutions.

The mystery why folks in Connecticut don't get it.
Stupidest post ever. You are actually comparing a state pressuring its own state institutions to a state pressuring corporations in the state?

Reaction Score
When we win, ESPN will showcase us. Frankly, with how bad things have been over the past few years, one could argue that ESPN is helping us by not focusing too much attention on our program.

Reaction Score
Stupidest post ever. You are actually comparing a state pressuring its own state institutions to a state pressuring corporations in the state?

True. College Presidents serve at the pleasure of a State's Politicians. Management of Companies like ESPN (Disney) serve at the pleasure of shareholders. Based on Market Cap, "influence" (51%) will cost us upwards of $100.0 Billion. Even poor Politicians can pressure a University President. Our leverage with ESPN is insufficient.

Reaction Score
It is very common. I thought you were "business" lawyer. Governmental agencies cajole, pressure, and sometimes downright extort local companies to help its institutions.

I even gave you an example. Good grief, wake up and smell the real world.

And if you think that is the stupidest post ever on the BY, you need to read more posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom