ESPN Running Scared ~ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN Running Scared ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't want ESPN to hang themselves. I just want them to stop trying to play the Big East for losers that they can get for bargain basement price and start respecting us for what we are... one of the best all around athletic conferences in the country.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't want ESPN to hang themselves. I just want them to stop trying to play the Big East for losers that they can get for bargain basement price and start respecting us for what we are... one of the best all around athletic conferences in the country.

This x 10,000! We are unarguably the sixth best and arguably the fifth best football conference in the land, that's true. But when you look at what we are in men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, women's soccer, track and field, and even baseball, we are an extremely powerful conference with a great deal of ability across almost every sport. We never seem to get the proper respect that we deserve, and I dare say that ESPN has at best not helped us and at worst has worked hard to hurt us and our image (and our membership)... :mad:

Reaction Score

ESPN.jpg

Reaction Score

Nah, hang themselves is the better (and only realistic) option.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Keep the respect - fear us and our soon to be new broadcast partners.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just another reason to be pissed our Tax money is going to ESPN courtesy of Malloy. Trying to get the names of a search for Conference commish to put them in the public domain, has this ever been done before by them? It's an invasion of the privacy of the individuals who wanted their name in the process, especially if it harmed their employment status with their present employers.

Malloy is an idiot.

Reaction Score
There is nothing unusual in a search taking unpredictable twists and turns. Yawn.

What is interesting is the search criteria that Reynods and the members agreed to, particularly in that they wanted a "servant" style of CEO. Which so directly contradicts what many on here for years have been arguing that a Big East Comm should be doing that I thought I'd point it out.

Reaction Score
There is nothing unusual in a search taking unpredictable twists and turns. Yawn.

What is interesting is the search criteria that Reynods and the members agreed to, particularly in that they wanted a "servant" style of CEO. Which so directly contradicts what many on here for years have been arguing that a Big East Comm should be doing that I thought I'd point it out.

I think it was implicit that "servant style" meant that the leader would be cognizant and diligent in maintaining a consistent approach to the best interests of ALL members of the conference, both individually and as a whole, and htat means that recognizing that football drives the bus, as the saying goes, but the basketball side of this conference is what makes the conference so very much more than just another football conference. IMO - That's something that's been missing for far too long, and in the past, there has been a clear skewed balance of power and interests in decision making based on teh interests of member institutions.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it was implicit that "servant style" meant that the leader would be cognizant and diligent in maintaining a consistent approach to the best interests of ALL members of the conference, both individually and as a whole, and htat means that recognizing that football drives the bus, as the saying goes, but the basketball side of this conference is what makes the conference so very much more than just another football conference. IMO - That's something that's been missing for far too long, and in the past, there has been a clear skewed balance of power and interests in decision making based on teh interests of member institutions.

I get the sense that, if the issue is critical, his "servant style" may have less servitude then the university presidents hope for. That's a good thing.

Agree that we should market what we are, not what we aren't. BE Football has been better than the WWL would you to believe, but BE basketball is second to none. Marketing the 5th (or 6th for you naysayers) best conference and the best basketball conference? Slam dunk.

Reaction Score
can anybody find this article on the espn.com college football page headlines? Less the 24 hours later? I can't. Weird.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
can anybody find this article on the espn.com college football page headlines? Less the 24 hours later? I can't. Weird.

I gave them a full day when I posted yesterday....looks like I was being generous with their time frame on how long it would take for them to pull the article.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Pull it for what? What was inaccurate in it? If you want to stupidly question the reasons for FOIAing it, that's one thing. But there was nothing inaccurate in it.

It was stellar reporting by a top-class reporter who this entire board has spent the last year singing the praises of. A reporter who is more tied into the Big East than any other reporter in the country. Hired by ESPN. Working for ESPN.

zls44

Reaction Score
Everyone seems to be thinking this is about ESPN trashing the BE... if I may put on the tinfoil hat for a second, it seems to be about ESPN trying to improve their negotiating position / strategy with the BE by gleaning some information from the BE's list of candidates. Or is that so simple, it's crazy?

Thank you for providing the sole piece of logical thought in this entire trainwreck of a thread.

zls44

Reaction Score
I get the sense that, if the issue is critical, his "servant style" may have less servitude then the university presidents hope for. That's a good thing.

Agree that we should market what we are, not what we aren't. BE Football has been better than the WWL would you to believe, but BE basketball is second to none. Marketing the 5th (or 6th for you naysayers) best conference and the best basketball conference? Slam dunk.

I don't but the servant thing at all. Everything this guy has shown from the start is that he is aggressively going to push the conference wherever he can. He has a great resume and I think will do a fantastic job pushing the conference forward.

And if a few people around the conference have a problem with that, I suggest they look at the conference's recent track record when taking their advice and re-think their own value.

Reaction Score
Thank you for providing the sole piece of logical thought in this entire trainwreck of a thread.

Nope, gleaning information and publishing that train wreck of an article yesterday have nothing in common with each other. How does publishing that piece of garbage help them glean information?

zls44

Reaction Score
Nope, gleaning information and publishing that train wreck of an article yesterday have nothing in common with each other. How does publishing that piece of garbage help them glean information?

Only thing that sounded like a train wreck in there was the interview process. Luckily they ended up with the best candidate of them all.

zls44

Reaction Score
I don't know............maybe they didn't like the audience reaction to it which seemed to be overwhelmingly negative toward ESPN.

They didn't pull it, though.

Reaction Score
Only thing that sounded like a train wreck in there was the interview process. Luckily they ended up with the best candidate of them all.

You didn't answer the question. How does publishing that article help them glean information?

Reaction Score
I have to say, this seems like nothing more than spite and nastiness. The true "victims" in this are the people who were named as being potentially interested in the position. How do those people talk to their respective organizations where they are showing up to work at on Monday? As a private individual interviewing for a position at a private organization, why the hell does this become public?

Those are the people whom should sue ESPN.

zls44

Reaction Score
You didn't answer the question. How does publishing that article help them glean information?

I don't think it does, I just like that someone was trying to make an argument other than ESPN IS CLEARLY CONSPIRING TO KILL TEH BIG EAST!!!!!!!!!!11111111

McMurphy answered a few tweets on the subject yesterday. He was working on this before he joined ESPN. McMurphy covers/has better sources with the Big East more intently than other conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom