EPL update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EPL update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going with my half glass full view. This draw could be a springboard for Spurs. When they beat Arsenal in this fixture last season to overtake them in the table (and Kane took his premature victory lap around WHL) they struggled from then on out and missed top 4. Hoping this keeps their focus even tighter. They have a few very winnable EPL matches coming up to right the ship.

Come on Watford!!!

Reaction Score
Going with my half glass full view. This draw could be a springboard for Spurs. When they beat Arsenal in this fixture last season to overtake them in the table (and Kane took his premature victory lap around WHL) they struggled from then on out and missed top 4. Hoping this keeps their focus even tighter. They have a few very winnable EPL matches coming up to right the ship.

Come on Watford!!!

In today's match at White Hart Lane, one could filled several LARGE glasses with the amount of rain that fell. Lovely English weather.

When I was at UConn, I caught a game in Storrs with the Huskies hosting Harvard, whose starting keeper was from my high school. It was an absolute downpour. I think UConn won 6 to 4 as neither keeper could hold on to the ball or even see the thing. I was glad that UConn won; but, sad that my old teammate go hammered. Talked to him after the game for a bit and made him laugh about games with played in similar conditions starting way back in forth grade.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know you folks are all concerned about the top but for us fans of non Power teams we look at the rest of the table, unfortunately :(

Swansea with another big win today against Norwich. This was the game they needed all 3 points from and they got it. I never got to get a jab at you Arsenal folks but while that match was a big blow to you, it was a HUGE help for us. We're now 9 points clear of the relegation zone with games against Bournemouth and Villa still to play. Things are finally looking up in terms of safety.

You may continue with your hopes of glory now :p

Reaction Score
Swansea with 6 big points the last 5 days. Villa has pretty much locked up 20th place, and the final 2 relegation spots is now a 3 team race between Sunderland, Newcastle, and Norwich.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I hope it's only those three for the final two spots.

The next two games for Swansea will either seal their safety or keep them in danger. Games against Bournemouth and Vila are MUST wins. After those two we have games vs Stoke, Chelsea, and Newcastle. I only see Newcastle as a game they can definitely get points from. Then they finish the season with games vs Leicester, Liverpool, West Ham, and Man City. I really don't want to see us needing points from those 4 matches to get safety. All 4 of those teams will likely still have a lot to play for come the end of the season with Liverpool and West Ham battling for the Europa spot and Man City and Leicester battling for the top spot.

Gonna be a crazy ride for us all as Arsenal and Tottenham are still in the thick of the race for the crown.

Reaction Score
I hope it's only those three for the final two spots.

The next two games for Swansea will either seal their safety or keep them in danger. Games against Bournemouth and Vila are MUST wins. After those two we have games vs Stoke, Chelsea, and Newcastle. I only see Newcastle as a game they can definitely get points from. Then they finish the season with games vs Leicester, Liverpool, West Ham, and Man City. I really don't want to see us needing points from those 4 matches to get safety. All 4 of those teams will likely still have a lot to play for come the end of the season with Liverpool and West Ham battling for the Europa spot and Man City and Leicester battling for the top spot.

Gonna be a crazy ride for us all as Arsenal and Tottenham are still in the thick of the race for the crown.

What happened to Newcastle? Before I got into EPL (going to an Arsenal match) about little less than 10 years ago, I remember playing FIFA and Newcastle was a solid, upper third team that I used often to win the whole thing (along with Portsmouth, LOL). They have the 4th largest EPL stadium behind Man U, Arsenal, and Man City, and a good fan base. But, for the last few seasons they have been on the edge of relegation.

By the way, Man U dropping to WBA really hurt their chances. Man U can't squander those type of games if they hope to be in the Champions (not going to happen) or Europa next season.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
What happened to Newcastle? Before I got into EPL (going to an Arsenal match) about little less than 10 years ago, I remember playing FIFA and Newcastle was a solid, upper third team that I used often to win the whole thing (along with Portsmouth, LOL). They have the 4th largest EPL stadium behind Man U, Arsenal, and Man City, and a good fan base. But, for the last few seasons they have been on the edge of relegation.

By the way, Man U dropping to WBA really hurt their chances. Man U can't squander those type of games if they hope to be in the Champions (not going to happen) or Europa next season.
I always feel like Newcastle has really good players too. I feel like they won't get relegated for that fact but it's crazy they are in this same relegation battle that they were facing last season. They have the 7th highest salary as well. Just insane that they perform so poorly. They were 7th last season as well and were in a fight for their life until the last week.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

Reaction Score
Newcastle did the yo-yo 6 or 7 years ago, it can certainly happen again. There is usually 1 team that seems safe with 10 left who drops back into it. Can not really see who that would be this year especially since Bournemouth seems to keep consistently plugging along.

This was a huge week for Leicester.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
It is difficult being a Newcastle fan. Although I have seen some good to great performances in the recent past - these past two seasons have been nothing short of disaster. I keep reading the English tabloids hoping to read that there Manager, McLaren, has been sacked. He has lost the locker room, which I can see from this side of the pond.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's been a great couple of weeks for West Brom. I'm no expert - but it seemed like the FA Cup was dragging them into the abyss - squad too thin to keep playing the replays. As soon as they got bounced the season went from relegation battle, to relegation safety, to fun to watch, to setting a club record in the Premier League for points.

It's brutal watching the fanbase from across the ocean complain about Pulis when he has done an absolute amazing job. Rondon looked like he would break through for months - and he finally has. It's too bad an academy product doesn't want to stick around but it looks like they will stick Spurs for 20+ million for him again this summer.

Sucks that Brunt will miss Euro 2016 - being a West Brom supporter almost forces you into rooting for Northern Ireland this summer... even if that makes no sense for your ethnicity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It has been interesting looking back on choosing a team three seasons ago. I had cut it down to 7 - thankfully I tossed Aston Villa and Newcastle out at that point. Of course when I took it down to the final two - I chose West Brom over Leicester...

Reaction Score
Well, Arsenal advanced in the FA Cup by wearing down Hull in the first half and then tacking on 3 more goals in the second half. Good to see Giroud net a brace (I hope the Frenhman sends a thank you card for the baby gift that Meyler gave to him on the first Arsenal goal). But, the team had to sub Mertesacker (concussion protocol anyone?), Gabriel, and Ramsey due to injuries and Monreal was limping at the end. With Barcelona on the 16th, which I can see them conceding to focus what's left on the Premiership title, I am wondering how many will be on the pitch this weekend to to play Watford in the next FA Cup leg. Can they call-up the entire U-19 team?

Reaction Score
Well, Arsenal advanced in the FA Cup by wearing down Hull in the first half and then tacking on 3 more goals in the second half. Good to see Giroud net a brace (I hope the Frenhman sends a thank you card for the baby gift that Meyler gave to him on the first Arsenal goal). But, the team had to sub Mertesacker (concussion protocol anyone?), Gabriel, and Ramsey due to injuries and Monreal was limping at the end. With Barcelona on the 16th, which I can see them conceding to focus what's left on the Premiership title, I am wondering how many will be on the pitch this weekend to to play Watford in the next FA Cup leg. Can they call-up the entire U-19 team?
Arsenal fans should be hoping they send their U21's to Barca to "take one for the team" and the U19's for FA Cup play. Get healthy and focus on the PL.
Other PL fans are hoping they put thier best foot forward in Spain and FA Cup, those are the real prizes.

Reaction Score
Did not catch the same as I was getting certified to be a soccer referee (USSF Grade 8); but, I saw that Arsenal called-up a 'varsity' team for their FA re-match with Watford and still fell 2 to 1. Looked like a half-heated attempt. Should have mixed in some U-21's and maybe U-19's in this match to give them some fire. While I am not one of those looking to fire Wenger after every match, questions do need to be raised regarding the direction of the team. Ownership also needs to open their wallet a bit to plug in the gaps (a proven center striker, better central defenders, some depth on the wings on defense and midfield)

In the bright side, Chelsea bombed out of the FA cup, too, and Costa is likely looking at another few days off the pitch due to his attempt to give Everton's Barry a hickey and for going after the referees. It amazes me that was his first Red Card in England.

Reaction Score
I only caught Spurs-Villa, and a few minutes of Chelsea-Everton on Saturday, but an interesting weekend with the mix of Cup and league play.
A combination of Guzan standing on his head, and the woodwork kept the Spurs game to only 2-0 (really could have been 6 or 7, Guzan made some big saves and Villa's back line has pretty much given up on the season.)
Didn't see a minute of Arsenal - Watford, wondering if the Gunners just ran out of steam after a pretty intense run of play the past 3 weeks, mostly against rivals or big name clubs? Doesn't get much easier for them either hte next 3-4 weeks... @ Barca, @ Everton, Watford, @ West Ham are their next 4. After that the only true test left is @ City.
Chelsea is an enigma of a team. They are going to look very different next season. Not just in style of play, but in the names on back of shirts. Expecting them to hit the reset button and sign big $$ players.
Glad that Man U and West Ham need a replay. Let's keep those two playing as many games as possible to interrupt their League play
City, City, City..... goal-less at Norwich? Really? Not only that, but Norwich's keeper only had to make something like 2 saves.

Interesting one this afternoon with Benitez coming to coach Newcastle @ Leicester. A match the Foxes should dominate, but Newcastle is battling to avoid relegation. I think I'd rather play those 8-14 placed teams who are safe from relegation, and not in the running for Tyler Phommachanh 4/5 than the 15-19 place teams who still have a shot to stay up.

Reaction Score
Chelsea is an enigma of a team. They are going to look very different next season. Not just in style of play, but in the names on back of shirts. Expecting them to hit the reset button and sign big $$ players.
Glad that Man U and West Ham need a replay. Let's keep those two playing as many games as possible to interrupt their League play
City, City, City..... goal-less at Norwich? Really? Not only that, but Norwich's keeper only had to make something like 2 saves.

Interesting one this afternoon with Benitez coming to coach Newcastle @ Leicester. A match the Foxes should dominate, but Newcastle is battling to avoid relegation. I think I'd rather play those 8-14 placed teams who are safe from relegation, and not in the running for Tyler Phommachanh 4/5 than the 15-19 place teams who still have a shot to stay up.

Agree on your last point, much rather play the middle of the table teams right now than the top, who are chasing the title and European Cup slots, and the bottom, who are fighting for their lives.

I think Chelsea will be one of many teams to look a lot different next season. Man U needs a lot of work. Man City may finally realize that just throwing random piles of cash here and there does not make a great team. If Wenger does leave Arsenal and/or and if ownership finally opens the vault there, the Gunners will look a lot different. Leicester is going to have to spend money to keep from getting raided by the big boys. I think there will be fewer changes at places like West Ham and Tottenham who look like they just need a extra player to two to fill in some gaps to be in the running for the top.

Reaction Score
Spurs only desperate need is a second true striker. Beyond that, more than anything they need more quality depth if they are going to play two games a week with Champions League, so that they don't throw out a B team like they did in Germany Thursday (more likely, or that the B team they do throw out isn't as far from their A team as that one was).

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Leicester City's number is probably 5 wins to the title. I think 5 out of 8 is doable.

Reaction Score
I'd be really surprised if Leicester doesn't win it at this point. Crazy.
Agreed, would be a major meltdown if Leicester doesn't win the league. They are sitting with a 5 point cushion with 8 games remaining. They will drop a coupe/few, but even still, Tottenham, Arsenal, and City have ZERO room for failure if they want to catch them. One of those three will almost need to win out, or maybe drop 3 points max along the way to even have a remote shot...and City plays Arsenal along the way. City has the toughest path left, and Arsenal the easiest (going solely off current points in the EPL), but Leicester has the fewest games remaining.

Leicester 63 pts, 8 remaining EPL games: @ Palace, Southampton, @Sunderland, West Ham, Swansea, @Man U, Everton, @Chelsea- avg points of remaining teams 38.6
Tottenham 58 pts, 8 remaining EPL games, and at least 1 Europa game: Dortmund (Europa), Bournemouth, @Liverpool, Man U, @ Stoke, WBA, @Chelsea, Southampton, @Newcastle - avg pts of opp. 39.9
Arsenal 52 pts, 9 remaining EPL games, and at least 1 UCL game: @ Barca (UCL), @Everton, Watford, @West Ham, Palace, @Sunderland, Norwich, WBA (date not set yet), @City, Villa - avg pts of opp. 34.8
City 51 pts, 9 remaining EPL games, at least 3 UCL games (assuming they keep their 3-1 aggregate lead over Kyiv at home today): Kyiv (UCL), Man U, @Bournemouth, WBA, @Chelsea, Stoke, @Southampton, @Newcastle (date not set yet), Arsenal, @ Swansea - avg pts of opp. 40.0

Reaction Score
Arsenal got a much needed win, 2-0, over Everton top keep their slim EPL title hopes alive. Leicester, though, is leading 1 to 0 over CP about 75 minutes into that match.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Swansea with a must win over Villa. Horrible game and I just want them to stay safe, which it's looking more and more likely they will, and just regroup next season. This season had such hope and promise and it's time to just get out safe and sound and start over next year!

Reaction Score
Huge 3 points for Swansea. They will be fine (not getting relegated), but they needed those 3 points with a pretty tough road ahead. Villa is done; one or both of Newcastle/Sunderland, and Palace should be concerned. Palace seems to be in a free fall right now in EPL They haven't won since December 19th, and only have gotten 3 draws in that time (they're unstoppable in FA Cup tho).

Arsenal owns Everton. They looked solid.

Leicester fans chanting "Barcelona, we're coming for you" (or something to that effect) is great. The Foxes are 16 points clear of 5th place, and West Ham can only get 24 points rest of the way with 4 of those 8 matches v teams in the top half of the table (Arsenal, @Leicester, Man U, and @ Stoke).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom