EPL update | The Boneyard

EPL update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK, time to stop calling Leicester the underdogs and accept the league crown is theirs to win or lose. They are now 5 points ahead of Tottenham and 6 ahead of Man City after trashing on City at Etihad Stadium 3 to 1. Looking forward, their schedule also looks favorable as they do not have to deal with Champions (Arsenal & Man City) nor Europa matches (Tottenham & Man U) and their remaining EPL schedule only have 6 fixtures against top 10 teams - @ Arsenal, @ Watford, Southampton, West Ham, @ Man U , & Everton, plus @ Chelsea. Very manageable.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/leicester-city/375/fixtures

If Arsenal wants the title, they have to get all 3 points at Bournemouth tomorrow and take advantage of hosting Leicester next week at Emirates. Down the road, the Gunners also have to deal with FA Cup and Champions Cup (oh joy Barcelona) matches on top of a tougher EPL slate than Leicester - @ Man U, Tottenham, Everton, @ West Ham, @ Man City.

At least the Liverpool Red Sox, now sitting 18 points back, should not be an issue as they still can't solve their defensive woes.

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premier-league/match/422421/liverpool-sunderland/report

While it was not pretty, props to Tottenham in getting it done against Watford with a 1 to 0 win propelling them into second place. This is what Arsenal has failed to do over the last month.

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premier-league/match/422422/tottenham-hotspur-watford/report

Reaction Score
Moving my post from similar thread I stRted after this one (didn't show up on my feed for some reason)

Leicester just curb stomped City at the Ethiad. Did not see that coming. They are firmly in 1st place with a 5 point buffer. They're out of all Cup play so they can focus exclusively on EPL here on out. They have another big test next weekend at the Emirates, but they are playing out of their minds. Barring an epic meltdown they will finish top 4 at least, and if they can hold their mud they could win the league.

Spurs win over Watford was big. Historically this is a game Spurs has either lost or drawn (must win home game against lesser club, with 2nd place on the line). They reminded me of the USMNT last night. Dominated the play but couldn't finish until a 60th minute substitution changed the pace and flow of the game. Dells Alli is going to be a world class player when it is all said and done. Spurs get City at the Ethiad next week, HUGE match for both teams if they want to have a shot at winning the league.

Liverpool, WTF. 2 goal lead at home against a bottom 3 club and they blow it in the final 10 minutes. The fans all leaving at the 77th minute was pretty interesting (protesting the big increase in ticket prices, going to 77£'s per match. They left with a 2 goal lead, must have been going bananas at the Pubs with that meltdown.

Chelsea v United and Arsenal at Bournemouth tomorrow are nice pre games for the Super Bowl.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's crazy to me how Leicester City went from needing an insane run of wins last season to secure their spot this year and are now 5 points in the lead. Just insane and good for them! It's always good when one of the Big 4 don't finish first every season. Nice to see a new comer.

Also glad my Swans have seemed to slightly turn it around. Should have had 3 points from West Brom on Tuesday and blew it super late. Also could have had 3 today from Crystal Palace but I'll take draws. As long as the other teams around them continue to flounder. Unfortunately Villa and Newcastle won and Sunderland pulled a draw to all get points as well.

Reaction Score
Liverpool, WTF. 2 goal lead at home against a bottom 3 club and they blow it in the final 10 minutes. The fans all leaving at the 77th minute was pretty interesting (protesting the big increase in ticket prices, going to 77£'s per match. They left with a 2 goal lead, must have been going bananas at the Pubs with that meltdown

I would not want to have been a bouncer at a Liverpool pub or a Cop on street patrol after that meltdown. Cripes.

Reaction Score
A very welcome and much needed win for Arsenal. First goals in three league games, Ox's first away goal in a league game in 5 years, and a clean sheet (thanks to a sweet double save by Cech in stoppage time). Not the most fluid or pretty win but that doesn't matter. Finally a win and sets up a huge showdown versus Leicester City next weekend. I cannot wait for that. I certainly hope that Coquelin is 100% fit for the game and gets the start over Flamini.

Reaction Score
A very welcome and much needed win for Arsenal. First goals in three league games, Ox's first away goal in a league game in 5 years, and a clean sheet (thanks to a sweet double save by Cech in stoppage time). Not the most fluid or pretty win but that doesn't matter. Finally a win and sets up a huge showdown versus Leicester City next weekend. I cannot wait for that. I certainly hope that Coquelin is 100% fit for the game and gets the start over Flamini.

100% agree. Had to get those three points and shake-off some of the goal scoring cobwebs. Wasn't pretty; but, a step forward. Next week's match with Leicester is huge.

Reaction Score
Another big weekend coming up before the EPL takes a 2 week break from League play with Cup and European play sprinkled in. They will have their own Super Sunday on V-day as top 4 are all matched up against eachother.

Spurs @ City - de Bruyne out for City and not sure if Kompany will be back or not. This is a big one. Spurs have actually fared better on the road than home this season. Haven't lost on the road since opening day when they fell 1-0 @ Man U. They've won 6 and tied 5 since then. Would obviously love 3 points for Spurs, but would be satisfied with 1 point.

Arsenal v Leicester - The Gunners found the back of the net in league play so it will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure Leicester brings. Not sure what the over/under on goals is, but I'd take the over. I think this could be a track meet.

By the way.... 5 more matches and 3 more weeks until the North London Derby at White Hart Lane.

Reaction Score
Got my but up early on a Sunday to watch Arsenal and Leicester play. And as a FYI, it was -15 at my parents' lake house in NH this morning.

Arsenal was sloppy in the first half; but, the ref was worse. Missed a handball in the box (defender's arm was extended) at the 5 minute point and the PK that the Foxes scored on was weak (defender tried to pull back & the offensive play ran into it on purpose) should have never happened as Morgan jumped on the back of Ozil with elbows flying that sparked that push forward. The lack of calls on the Leicester in the first half made it very chippy. Vandy was a pain in the neck all game. The second yellow on Simpson was huge. I honestly thought that his second was not a yellow; but, has the impression Atkinson was making-up of the PK and several non-calls committed by Leicester that should have been cards. Arsenal seemed to get it in their head at that point that they had to win and set-up shop in the Foxes' box and carpet bombed Schmeichel, who played phenomenal, with two dozen shots as Walcott then Welbeck in injury time finally cashed in deservedly.

Big win for the Gunners as they are now only 2 points back. Tough loss for Leicester. The Man City and Tottenham match later today will also be huge. I think the title race is down to these 4 teams.

Reaction Score
Atkinson lost control of that game. He missed a lot of calls, and made some horrible calls as well. Schmeichel played out of his mind. Arsenal deserved the 3 points.

Spurs got a gift PK to go up 1-0 on City, and now City has picked up the pace. Should be a pretty eventful final 30+ minutes (first half was pretty uneventful). COYS!

Reaction Score
Atkinson lost control of that game. He missed a lot of calls, and made some horrible calls as well. Schmeichel played out of his mind. Arsenal deserved the 3 points.

Spurs got a gift PK to go up 1-0 on City, and now City has picked up the pace. Should be a pretty eventful final 30+ minutes (first half was pretty uneventful). COYS!

The PK was a gift; but, the Spurs deserved the win. Going to be an interesting race to the finish. Tottenham has a significant advantage over Arsenal on goal differential. Leicester has the advantage of just being able to focus on League play and not have to worry about any European tournaments.

Reaction Score
Spurs has been playing great, but I worry that they don't have the depth that City or the Gunners have to play FA Cup and Europe while trying to win the league. I wonder how much effort they put into the net three games while Leicester is resting.

Reaction Score
The Marcus Rashford era is off to a spectacular start. You couldn't have scripted it much better for him (and United) for his 1st 2 games.

Spurs quietly grinding out 3 points. Swansea's GK kept this from being a 5-1 route.

This will be a very entertaining stretch run for the likes of Leicester, Tottenham, Arsenal, City, United, and West Ham... all vying for top 4, and a few vying for the top spot.

Reaction Score
The Marcus Rashford era is off to a spectacular start. You couldn't have scripted it much better for him (and United) for his 1st 2 games.

Spurs quietly grinding out 3 points. Swansea's GK kept this from being a 5-1 route.

This will be a very entertaining stretch run for the likes of Leicester, Tottenham, Arsenal, City, United, and West Ham... all vying for top 4, and a few vying for the top spot.

Good for the kid, though I wished he saved that for his next game :mad:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Very impressed by Spurs. Haven't watched them play a game until now. They were in Swansea's half of the field the whole day. We got lucky to even get a goal.

It's funny because Swansea supporters are throwing a fit because Swansea, again, couldn't hold a lead. The whole, Championship here we come, talk continues. However, did they realistically believe we had a shot taking points today before the game even started? I would have been thrilled had we pulled out a single point but Spurs are Top 4 and we've struggled to beat low teams. Arsenal is on tap on Wednesday and there won't be any points there either. However, Norwich is up next and that's a game where all 3 points must be taken.

The bright side was that all the lower teams dropped all possible points with the exception of Newcastle who had their game postponed.

Fabianski was a beast today though.

Reaction Score
Spurs would have to be favorite to win the league at this point. Second best possible outcome to Leicester hanging on.

Reaction Score
We'll see how Spurs young guns do playing with that "potential favorite" weight on their shoulders the rest of the way. In the past they managed to spit the bit, but things do feel a little bit different this season.... so far.
All teams still in Europe have a tough stretch of 6 games over the next 19 days and before the international break end of March.

Spurs have back to back London derby's over 4 days - @West Ham on Wednesday and v. Arsenal on Saturday; then they are @ Dortmund next Thursday, @ Villa 3/13, Dortmund on 3/17, Bournemouth on 3/20. So 6 games over the next 19 days, 4 of which are against good to great teams. I'm hoping they are prioritizing EPL over Europa, but we'll find out next Thursday when they announce their starting lineup at Dortmund.

The good news is that Arsenal is in the same boat: v Swansea Wed, @ Spurs Sat, @ Hull 3/8 for FA Cup, WBA 3/12, @ Barca 3/16, and @ Everton 3/19.

Leicester has 4 in the same time frame, and much easier matches: WBA, @ Watford, Newcastle, and @ Palace.

March will be a huge month.

Reaction Score
Big matches today.
Spurs @ West Ham
Arsenal v Swansea
Liverpool v City
United v Watford

Leicester is still in 1st, but their draw v WBA yesterday gives Spurs a shot to take top spot if they can get the win at West Ham (tough place to get a W as of late). This is a game Tottenham has generally laid an egg in in years past (not even playing for 1st, but playing to get top 3 position at this point). Pochetino was quoted, after the Swansea win, that his team was starting to get tired and had concerns about the next 4-5 matches, whether they can hold up. Alli is going to be a late decision pending a fitness test this morning. COYS!

Reaction Score
Leicester draws yesterday while West Ham as usual slips by Tottenham, and Liverpool crushes Man City today. Great opportunity for Arsenal to make some serious headway. Instead, after scoring just 15 minutes into the match, they fall 2 to 1 versus Swansea. Son of a bloody...The magic they had earlier in the season is gone.

Reaction Score
Leicester draws yesterday while West Ham as usual slips by Tottenham, and Liverpool crushes Man City today. Great opportunity for Arsenal to make some serious headway. Instead, after scoring just 15 minutes into the match, they fall 2 to 1 versus Swansea. Son of a bloody...The magic they had earlier in the season is gone.
Yup, definitely an interesting afternoon in the EPL with Spurs, Gunners, and Citizens all losing.

Updated standings (top 6)
Leicester 57 pts, +20 gd next match @ Watford
Spurs 54 pts, +27 gd next match v Arsenal
Arsenal 51 pts, +16 gd next match @ Spurs
City 47 pts, +17 gd (they have played 1 less game) next match v Villa
United 47 pts, +11 gd next match @ WBA
West Ham 46 pts, +11 gd next match @ Everton

What I do know is Spurs will be 2nd place, at worst, after this weekend and Arsenal will be 3rd regardless of what happens. I know where I will be 7:45am Saturday.

Reaction Score
Arsenal were punished for not putting away Swansea in the first half after dominating them. Throughout the game, hitting the post and crossbar twice, unbelievable. The second half was so uninspiring. Swansea were pressing us and we had so much trouble controlling the ball. And we needed a goal and just completely sat off them. So frustrating! Also, Cech has been fantastic but he completely whiffed on Sigurdsson's cross. He wasn't helped by the defense letting Ashley Williams get goal side of them though.

Reaction Score
Arsenal were punished for not putting away Swansea in the first half after dominating them. Throughout the game, hitting the post and crossbar twice, unbelievable. The second half was so uninspiring. Swansea were pressing us and we had so much trouble controlling the ball. And we needed a goal and just completely sat off them. So frustrating! Also, Cech has been fantastic but he completely whiffed on Sigurdsson's cross. He wasn't helped by the defense letting Ashley Williams get goal side of them though.

And now add Cech and Koscielny to the growing injury list that added Oxlade-Chamberlain last week while Ramsey, Sanchez and Giroud all seem to be off form. Hoping that the old adage about a wounded animal being the most dangerous adversary hold true this weekend versus Tottenham.

Reaction Score
City are just so bad against top teams this year. Only Villa have been worse against the top 8. At least the CL might be fun if we can avoid PSG, Bayern, Barca, and Real in the quarters.

I honestly think Leicester will win the league. Even on a matchday where they drop points they still do better than the rest of the top 4. It just feels like their year, and they're not in any other competitions that they have to worry about.

Reaction Score
Arsenal wins 2-2 (just like their first game at the Emirates when Arsenal won 1-1). Crap result for Spurs. Ramsey's goal was a nice flick. Coquelin is not a smart player. Kane's goal was epic. Alexis goal was soft (Lloris should have made that save), but a good effort by Sanchez. Dier was lucky he didn't get the second yellow (he deserved it). Ospina with a few big saves, he was the best keeper in the field today. Spurs really missed Vertongen today.

Reaction Score
Arsenal wins 2-2 (just like their first game at the Emirates when Arsenal won 1-1). Crap result for Spurs. Ramsey's goal was a nice flick. Coquelin is not a smart player. Kane's goal was epic. Alexis goal was soft (Lloris should have made that save), but a good effort by Sanchez. Dier was lucky he didn't get the second yellow (he deserved it). Ospina with a few big saves, he was the best keeper in the field today. Spurs really missed Vertongen today.

Arsenal had a really bad 15 stretch when they seemed to lose their minds starting with Coquelin's second yellow and then the two Spurs' goals. Kane's strike was insane. Gunners somehow weathered, regained their composure and and converted their chance. Nice to see that Sanchez was finally able to find the back of the net. Not so negative on the Spurs' keeper there as the rain can ruin and keeper' s day with a wet ball not only hard to control; but, it acts squirrelly in that much water plus footing can be a major issue, too. Fully agree that Dyer should have been sent off with a second yellow card as he pulled a player back on an attacking opportunity. In the end, Arsenal may have won a moral victory earning a point on the road with 10 men; but, they really needed 3 points here to have shot at the title. This draw really helped Leicester the most.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a FYI, schedule for the top 3 teams the rest of the way...
  • Leicester: 1) @ Watford, 2) Newcastle, 3) @ Crystal Palace, 4) Southampton, 5) @ Sunderland, 6) West Ham, 7) Swansea, 8) @ Man U, 9) Everton, 10) @ Chelsea
  • Tottenham: 1) @ Dortmund (Europa), 2) @ Aston Villa, 3) Dortmund (Europa)*, 4) Bournemouth, 5) @ Liverpool, 6) Man U, 7) @ Stoke, 8) WBA, 9) @ Chelsea, 10) Southampton, 11) Newcastle
* Tottenham may have additional games if they advance past Dortmund​
  • Arsenal: 1) @ Hull (FA)*, 2) WBA, 3) @ Barcelona (CL)*, 4) @ Everton, 5) Watford, 6) @ West Ham, 7) Crystal Palace, 8) @ Sunderland, 9) Norwich, 10) @ Man City, 11) Aston Villa
* Arsenal may have additional games if the advance past Hull in the FA Cup and/or Barcelona in the Champions League (LOL).​

Currently (Leicester and Man City play later today), Leicster is on top with 57 points with Tottenham in second with 55, Arsenal in third with 52 and then Man U and Man city tied with 47 followed by Stoke in sixth with 46 points.

On paper, it looks like Arsenal has the easiest EPL schedule going forward with only 2 major challenges ahead - @ West Ham (always an issue for the Gunners) and @ Man City. That assumes, of course, they can take care of business where needed, which as everyone against Swansea, they don't always do. Their problem is that the also have to deal with Champions and FA matches, which is a concern considering their injury list. I wonder if Wegner may choose to throw in the towel in Champions play knowing that overcoming a 2 GA deficit Camp Nou is a tall task as that they need to stay health if they have any chance catching the Foxes.

Leicester has a harder schedule with Southampton and West Ham home and Man U and Chelsea away; but, they don't have worry about at least 2 additional matches like the other contenders to. The title is theirs to loose. Can they handle the pressure?

Tottenham, like Arsenal, has additional games to deal with in Europa play; but, they seem to be healthier than Arsenal. I would say their schedule is also 'easier' than the Foxes with home games with Man U and Southampton and away games at Stoke, Liverpool, and Chelsea to content with. That said, Tottenham is better than each of those teams this season and just need to take care of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom