Empty Seats | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Empty Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For years UConn tokk loyal fans and slowly pushed them up into the corners as well-healed donors took the seats they had sat in for years. THATs the sort of loyalty UConn gave them. This went on in the mens as well as the womens games. You don't act like that and then expect people to rush back just because they are needed now. Loyalty is a 2 way street. I'd like some of the media who also wonder why people stay home to go watch a game from the bleacher seats and the 300 level seats at the XL and then explain why someone would rather sit there than in front of a HD picture. When a team puts a turnstile up it's a business. Instead of begging for loyalty they should re-examine their marketing. UConn needs to decide if they want the corporate money and empty,unused seats, or if they want an enthusiastic and filled arena.

Reaction Score
Go to Gampel, buy the best available ticket, sit in the upper deck and look down upon all those empty seats right near the court. Quite annoying.

Perhaps the exposure created by SNY will increase the fan base and result in higher game turnout.

Reaction Score
... Were Tennessee, Notre Dame and Louisville's season-opening games shown on broadcast television? ...
OOPS! I guess at least 2 of the 3 were, but I'd like to point out that few Notre Dame fans joined the Navy just to get a good seat on that aircraft carrier!

LOL!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, the NY Giants as well as the Patriots were playing football for quite a while before The Year of Rebecca Lobo. On TV, too, I think. Didn't stop Husky fans back then, did it?
I have no idea. How many times did they play concurrently, and concurrently with UConn WBB, and concurrently with UConn playing a weak opponent?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
For the record, I bought XL season tickets early and donated nary a cent to UConn Club. I was given lower bowl seats (106, Row H).

I don't have Gampel season tix but will attend every game in Storrs where I have availability. This was not such a weekend.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Uconn is not the only team or sport suffering from hdtv-itis.

This is absolutely true. The large screen and HD make it an amazing experience to watch the game at home in today's world.

Reaction Score
I dont know, I think that the "hype" about this freshman class didn't mean anything until they started playing. I said to hubby during the exhibition games and the season opener, "this class will live up to the hype and the fans will come". Our teams have always had the best girls, but I feel a little more swag with this bunch, and fans love swag!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I dont know, I think that the "hype" about this freshman class didn't mean anything until they started playing. I said to hubby during the exhibition games and the season opener, "this class will live up to the hype and the fans will come". Our teams have always had the best girls, but I feel a little more swag with this bunch, and fans love swag!
I don't disagree. People who frequent this board have obviously known about how good the incoming class is for more than 18 months now, but not everyone follows recruiting.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
The tv makes a little difference, but not a lot for me. Atmosphere is atmosphere and tv still isnt there (although much better).

I too maybe a horrible fan in this way. I love UConn. The impact they and womens basketball have had on my entire life is unlike anything I ever would have guess back in 94.

I love the players and to watch their skill on the court. Yet i love to watch a good basketball game. A game with lead changes, were the last 3 minutes of the game really matters.

I do believe the drop off in attendance has much to do with the awesome talent we have year in, year out.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
These comments about not attending the Charleston game because it was a certain blowout and because some boneyarders feel the need to sip wine in front of their big screen TV are simply rationalizations for laziness and a lack of commitment to Uconn WBB. My spouse and I were at the game (I had to drive a WHOLE hour to get to Gampel - what an incredible burden) and I must tell you that watching this team live - particularly the Freshman phenoms - was tremendously exciting. There was an electricity in the air that you could not sense on a TV screen. And to those who could not be bothered to attend the game I ask: do you think that future recruits might be influenced by the fact that Uconn WBB fans apparently considered it a waste of time to attend the first game in which this spectacular recruiting class played? Do you think that Tennessee or Louisville or Notre Dame fans would be so blasé?

I don't know who you are and I don't care, but one thing you need to know as a newbie here. We don't insult and name call fellow posters on the Boneyard.
You don't have an clue about who I am and what my motivations are so where the hell do you get off calling me lazy?

Reaction Score
The ideal would be to attend the game while recording it on DVR. Recording has two purposes. The obvious is you can watch the game twice but also the cable company can collect hard statistics from the DVR when you record a program. Powerful ammo to attract advertisers. More convincing to advertisers than ratings obtained from surveys such as Neilsen.

I also wonder what benefit the school/team garners from someone watches at home. Yes, the bigger the audience, the better the deal they get e.g., SNY. Probably sell more hats and alumnai donations. Any other pros & cons of seeing it live vs. on tv?

Do the players picture the thousands that are enjoying them on TV and get some enjoyment from that? I'm sure the team hears from those who have watched on TV. I wonder what their viewpoint is?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't know who you are and I don't care, but one thing you need to know as a newbie here. We don't insult and name call fellow posters on the Boneyard.
You don't have an clue about who I am and what my motivations are so where the hell do you get off calling me lazy?
buckeroobonzai is not really a newbie.

Reaction Score
Takes me about an hour to get to Gampel. I am lucky enough to have season tickets in the lower bowl there (through a friend) and I do not miss a game if I can possibly help it. I also have season tickets at the XL Center, but the seats are not nearly as good and I don't miss a game there, either.

I don't understand all this talk about HDTV. I have one of those, and I don't care how big it is or how clear the high def is - you are at the mercy of what the camera shows you. To me, basketball is a sport in which there's nothing like being able to see the whole playing area, including the two benches. Of course, you can't be looking at everything at the same time, but my friend and I constantly point out to each other interesting things that are going on all over the place, away from the ball. I love that aspect of actually being at the game (with the exception of the high 300's at the XL).

BTW, it does bother me to see the empty seats all around me at Gampel. I consider myself extremely lucky to have those seats, and I wish they were all filled with fans.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
It is a difficult and stressful time for many families and fans in a state which has a high cost of living and high taxes...the old double whammy. Let’s celebrate those fans who make it, as well as those who do not.

Reaction Score
Do people on here live in a bubble? This problem isn't unique to the UConn women's team - it's a problem throughout college basketball. For instance, I was watching the UNC men's home opener the other night, and there were scores of open seats.

Although a number of factors (the economy, poor treatment of long-time season ticket holders, etc.) have led to continuously declining attendance, I think the invention of HD has played the biggest role. Basketball, probably more than any other sport, has been hurt by HD TVs and channels.

For me personally, while I try to make a game or two a year, I would much rather stay home and watch than make the long drive to sit in crappy seats.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
buckeroobonzai is not really a newbie.

I saw the low post count and went off from there. ;) I'm still trying to figure out why he would want to post something like that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Takes me about an hour to get to Gampel. I am lucky enough to have season tickets in the lower bowl there (through a friend) and I do not miss a game if I can possibly help it. I also have season tickets at the XL Center, but the seats are not nearly as good and I don't miss a game there, either.

I don't understand all this talk about HDTV. I have one of those, and I don't care how big it is or how clear the high def is - you are at the mercy of what the camera shows you. To me, basketball is a sport in which there's nothing like being able to see the whole playing area, including the two benches. Of course, you can't be looking at everything at the same time, but my friend and I constantly point out to each other interesting things that are going on all over the place, away from the ball. I love that aspect of actually being at the game (with the exception of the high 300's at the XL).

BTW, it does bother me to see the empty seats all around me at Gampel. I consider myself extremely lucky to have those seats, and I wish they were all filled with fans.

There are pros and cons regarding home and HDTV vs live at the game. Comfort, hassle, cost etc. all play a part. The biggest pro for being there is the crowd when the joint is jumping. Unfortunately, the team is soooo good that probably only occurs a few times a year. The biggest pro for HDTV are the closeups and the replays.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
These comments about not attending the Charleston game because it was a certain blowout and because some boneyarders feel the need to sip wine in front of their big screen TV are simply rationalizations for laziness and a lack of commitment to Uconn WBB. My spouse and I were at the game (I had to drive a WHOLE hour to get to Gampel - what an incredible burden) and I must tell you that watching this team live - particularly the Freshman phenoms - was tremendously exciting. There was an electricity in the air that you could not sense on a TV screen. And to those who could not be bothered to attend the game I ask: do you think that future recruits might be influenced by the fact that Uconn WBB fans apparently considered it a waste of time to attend the first game in which this spectacular recruiting class played? Do you think that Tennessee or Louisville or Notre Dame fans would be so blasé?
LOL. I'm going to the Virgin Islands so I can see the team play three consecutive games PLUS get a chance to see Mel Thomas and her team. You?

All you holier-than-thous had better not live in glass houses. Passing judgement on others without regard to financial situations, physical conditions or, heck, just a hectic schedule with family & kids is, let's say, unkind.

Reaction Score
LOL. I'm going to the Virgin Islands so I can see the team play three consecutive games PLUS get a chance to see Mel Thomas and her team. You?

All you holier-than-thous had better not live in glass houses. Passing judgement on others without regard to financial situations, physical conditions or, heck, just a hectic schedule with family & kids is, let's say, unkind.

Ah, nothing like a good ad hominem criticism based on a misreading of my comment. And you fail to address the serious attendance issues that I raise. Oh well, enjoy your trip to the Virgin Islands - I guess your "passing judgment on others without regard to financial situations" criticism only applies to "others."

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I am one of the ones that did mention blowouts as being a reason why I do not attend as much. I hardly missed a game for about 9 years.

UConn is my favorite current team (most know my other one). It has 0 to do with a big screen (have had one since 93).

If I got paid 50% of minimum wage for every hour I put into what I have done on helping preserve and promote the history of this game we love, my house would be paid and I would be bringing my wife to Hawaii on the way to the Gallapagos Islands and Australia.

Pass judgement all you wish on me. I feel very good about my support of UConn and Women's Basketball. And quite frankly, so do many others I have worked with over the last 15 years.

Peace...

Reaction Score

Tell you what, Buckaroo. You don't assume that I and other fans who choose not to go to UConn games have no valid financial, physical, or other personal circumstances or reasons for doing so and are just being "lazy fans" and I won't assume you are one of the 1% who is out of touch with the struggles of many of the middle class residents of this state in times of high unemployment, dwindling 401Ks and upside down mortgages.

Sorry, I don't usually get so feisty. But I find these kinds of posts to be insulting to so many fans. Especially with the heavy sarcasm "I had to drive a WHOLE hour to get to Gampel - what an incredible burden", "to those who could not be bothered to attend the game". Gets my dander up...

Reaction Score
Buckaroo, your post is so solipsistic! Why are you so certain that your analysis of people's explanation of why they didn't attend the game is the correct one? How do you determine that the sensory perception of others is the same as yours? I wish you were seated next to me at the XLCenter last March 6th as Uconn played ND in the Big East final. I sorely needed advice on how to handle a situation I was faced with.

Two men and a woman were seated in front of me. At the tip-off, we all stood for a bit over two minutes until Bria Hartley made a layup that enabled us to take our seats. The first half was exciting and the crowd's adrenaline was pumping. We were having a great time. Then it happened.

The second half just started. Novosel canned 2 free throws to make the score 33-32 in Uconn's favor. I noticed the woman sitting in front of me was reading a book, unlike her two companions who were engrossed in the game. At the first time out, with ND now leading by 3, I glanced down - she was still reading! For the rest of the game and through the Uconn celebration at game's end, she continued to read, totally ignoring what was going on around her! It was the most disconcerting unobtrusiveness I'd ever encountered. So, Buckaroo, please advise: How would you have handled this upsetting situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom