EJ Barthel to Nebraska | Page 4 | The Boneyard

EJ Barthel to Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That Furman team has been trucking people this year. Even ran for 125 at Clemson.

How much of the running game performance in game is the RB coach and how much of that is the play calling of the OC and the performance of the OLine?

I'd think position coach effectiveness can be seen by improvements in fundamentals for players in that position. For RB's, it's protecting the ball, knowing how to hit the hole, improvement in visualizing how the hole changes depending on surge by OLine and any stunts by the D. Show me RB's with good hands and footwork in the pass catching, good technique identifying and picking up blitzes.

In one of the last couple of games the color analyst noted one of the UConn coaches was practicing with the RB's and throwing them passes in the flat. The analyst noted the coach was intnentionally throwing every pass offline forcing the RB's to better track the ball and make the catch. Not sure which coach it was, but that is definitely a characteristic of a good position coach.

And then there's the additional duties such as recruiting and whatever administrative tasks they are given by Mora.

All in all, I'm grateful for what we had for on field talent development but I think that can be replaced. The fit with the existing coaches and recruiting is what will make or break this hire.

Reaction Score
This hurts. Running was our strength. We need to figure out how we incentivize retention when particularly effective position guys are found. on the flip side, I despise these guys who hang for a year and jump ship when the first shiny object is dangled in front of their face. They preach family, brotherhood, commitment but don’t walk the walk. I guess that goes with the territory these days.

Reaction Score
This hurts. Running was our strength. We need to figure out how we incentivize retention when particularly effective position guys are found. on the flip side, I despise these guys who hang for a year and jump ship when the first shiny object is dangled in front of their face. They preach family, brotherhood, commitment but don’t walk the walk. I guess that goes with the territory these days.
He didn’t leave for just a shiny object he left to be with a coach he was close to

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am not saying it's true here...and I think Nebraska recruits different kids than us...but I am sure there is overlap...I hope EJ doesn't start recruiting NE kids for Nebraska that he was recruiting for UConn.

I guess we should expect this to happen because he brings this knowledge to his new job, but I hope he respects Mora enough to not hurt UConn's recruiting in the NE.

Reaction Score
I am not saying it's true here...and I think Nebraska recruits different kids than us...but I am sure there is overlap...I hope EJ doesn't start recruiting NE kids for Nebraska that he was recruiting for UConn.

I guess we should expect this to happen because he brings this knowledge to his new job, but I hope he respects Mora enough to not hurt UConn's recruiting in the NE.

Stop. If Barthel is a good enough coach and person that it’s worth worrying about losing him, he will do the best he can for his no employer without worrying about how it effects his prior employer. If we had wanted him signed to a 20 year contract where he’d never work for anyone else, we could have paid him to agree to that.

Reaction Score

Alliegro is a national recruit @ LB. His offers just keep coming. Believe John Marinelli is his UConn contact.

That said… Nebraska is going to have almost a completely new staff - I’m sure there will be a boatload of offers going out from the new staff and I imagine there will be a boatload of offers going out to kids that have current Nebraska offers. Is what it is.

I’m more worried about losing/replacing Barthel’s NJ/PA recruiting contacts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This hurts. Running was our strength. We need to figure out how we incentivize retention when particularly effective position guys are found. on the flip side, I despise these guys who hang for a year and jump ship when the first shiny object is dangled in front of their face. They preach family, brotherhood, commitment but don’t walk the walk. I guess that goes with the territory these problem.
I hope you are consistent with this attitude if the new RB coach is poached off another team's staff.

Reaction Score
If position coaches are getting P5 opportunities after 1 year and leaving, that's going to significantly increase the pool of replacement options. That's a good thing

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Football may not be for you if this is a sticking point.

Reaction Score

So nobody is allowed to advance their career?

Reaction Score
Coach Mora mentioned "... next man up..." even with Barthel departing... same analogy as us losing players to injury... Do you think he's giving Grad Assistant to RBs Drew McClure a dry run interview this month?

1669923073952.png

Reaction Score
Try and build some thicker skin.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Here’s potential positive of Barthel going to Nebraska. Maybe, he will point some kids our way when he is out recruiting. Kids that aren’t a fit for Nebraska, but would be a fit at UConn.

Reaction Score
I hope you are consistent with this attitude if the new RB coach is poached off another team's staff.
Hell no. Ergo my point that we need to step up the retention incentives.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hell no. Ergo my point that we need to step up the retention incentives.
Let's be realistic. We will never win an arms race with the Big 10. It's foolish to try. But there are other fish in the sea. As good as EJ was for us, there are other's who can be just as good and I trust the HC to find them.

Reaction Score
Let's be realistic. We will never win an arms race with the Big 10. It's foolish to try. But there are other fish in the sea. As good as EJ was for us, there are other's who can be just as good and I trust the HC to find them.
Yeah, there are times where yes you would need to step up to retain but against a Big10 team and one who has a coach the individual is close to is one where there is nothing you can do. If an assistant leaves the program to take another job going to a P5 job is good for the program because if they leave it should be for a higher job.

Reaction Score
Do you know how you make five running backs look good to very good?

You hire a good OL coach.

EJ needs to buy our OL coach a very expensive gift, a Rolex would probably do it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here’s potential positive of Barthel going to Nebraska. Maybe, he will point some kids our way when he is out recruiting. Kids that aren’t a fit for Nebraska, but would be a fit at UConn.
I don’t see that ever happening, but I could see him making Jim aware of a Nebraska player entering the portal

Reaction Score
I would be very happy to have Nebraska and UConn actually competing for the same high school running backs (not just both giving the kids an offer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom