EDD vs Stef Dolson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EDD vs Stef Dolson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you assuming Stef would not have come to UConn if Elena had stayed here?
I don't know that. Stef is a more traditional center...albeit one with a solid mid-range face-up shot. EDD is quite different in her skills-set...my guess is that if Stef had come to UConn with EDD already here, somehow those two with the assistance of the best staff in the game would have co-existed to a faretheewell.
EDD is more of a forward than a post in my opinion. Can you imagine what last year would have been like with Stewart and EDD? And she would've gotten to play with Maya and Tina as well early on.

Reaction Score
I agree - totally stinks, all the attention the "Three to See" campaign has brought to wcbb and the WNBA. Who wants that? What we want is all-UConn all the time!
I'm a fan of EDD and Griner, not so much of Skylar Diggins. Doesn't have to anything with her being at ND, she just strikes me as kind of a diva.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
TJI, not sure it brought a lot of attention to WCBB as much as it was someone's idea. Whether it worked is open to testing and debate.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you're aware of it but EDD would never have been the challenger for minutes with Stephanie Dolson. They play two entirely different positions and there would have been no conflict. EDD probably would have been somewhere between a two and a three in the Huskie lineup.

OK. Put EDD in the lineup the last 3 years and who sit? How many minutes does Stef get? Not many. She hit the wall in the Stanford game 3 years ago and it changed her whole outlook. How many minutes would she have played in that game if you add EDD to that roster?

Reaction Score
OK. Put EDD in the lineup the last 3 years and who sit? How many minutes does Stef get? Not many. She hit the wall in the Stanford game 3 years ago and it changed her whole outlook. How many minutes would she have played in that game if you add EDD to that roster?
She was awesome this year against them! :)

Reaction Score
I believe the difference with Dolson would have been negligible. In her frosh year - for example we can play "what-ifs" so whose to say that Walker wouldn't have left earlier? Frankly a lineup of Hartley (or Dixon), Hayes (or Faris), Maya, EDD and SD would be a beast lineup? SD is the only natural center. IMO she'd have gotten minutes. In her soph year she'd gotten huge minutes regardless. We had Kelly sometimes playing pf.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
EDD never would have played with Stewart, if she had stayed at UCONN she would have graduated with Tiffany Hayes (and Doty, had she not been injured).

Reaction Score
EDD never would have played with Stewart, if she had stayed at UCONN she would have graduated with Tiffany Hayes (and Doty, had she not been injured).
She didn't have a 5th year, she was still eligible when she left since she never actually played. She decided to come back this year even though she was eligible to go to the draft.

Reaction Score
EDD is better hands down. Really? Seriously? I would never have guess that.

My poimt wasn't who is better. Clearly EDD is a better overall palyer. My point was the Stef brought us a lot of joy over the last 3 years. That my not have happened if EDD was here.
After watching a few interviews with EDD, I am glad she didn't stay at UCONN. She needed to be with her family and I believe if she had stayed at UCONN it would have had tremendous negative effects on her and her sister. It just shows the quality of players that Geno recruits. And I am not talking about their BB skills.

Stef has become the backbone of the team and watching her flourish these last three years has been fun. I just watch her on the bench during the game singing and dancing in her seat and it makes me smile. I'm glad it turned out well for both of them.

Reaction Score
We won't ever know the kind of player she would have been at UConn. Clearly she has the basketball skills to compete at the highest level. On the other hand, we don't know enough about her mental makeup. Would those skills have translated into winning on the biggest stage? Nobody knows. EDD never gave us the chance.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I watched a few of EDD’s games on TV and got to thinking about what having her as a Husky for 4 years would have meant to the program. We might have a couple more NC banners hanging from the walls if she stayed at UCONN.
But then I thought about what we would have missed watching Stef Dolson mature as a player and a person. I think it’s safe to say that nobody has worked harder at becoming a better player than Stef. And how can you not love the joy she brings to the game. She planned thru pain this year and kept that smile on her face - a smile that lights up a room. Even the “bunny earsgate” had to be seen for what it was- a light hearted moment in the career of a girl who enjoys life.
In the grand scheme of life, it really doesn’t matter if the Huskies already had 10 NC’s banners hanging from the walls. What really matters are the people who carry the legacy of what it means to have the heart of a Husky.
No offense to EDD but I think we, as fans, got the better end of the deal watching Stef for 4 years.
That is a great post- Kudos!!!!! I'll 2nd your thoughts!!!! She is easy to love-and no one has done more work to improve their game!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
EDD right now is better. and it's not even close
I don't think that was the point pppggg was making. EDD may be one of the best players in the world. I've enjoyed Steph immensely and what she has transformed herself into to be a great player! Love the orig post!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
EDD didn't want to be at UConn and left as quickly as you possible could so there is no what if's. She's in the category of a recruit we didn't land because she was gone before we even saw her. We won 3 titles IN 5 years after she left and went 90-0 for a stretch. A what if is 2001 and the Shea and Svet ACL's. 1997 is a what if with another Shea ACL. Heck in 2011 Samarie Walker is a bigger what if than EDD because if she just lasted the year instead of bailing mid season (which no UConn player has ever done) maybe Maya goes out a champion.

EDD played where she wanted to play and we survived and continue to. In the mean time, We still have 3 more years of Breanna Stewart and 2 more of KML. Not giving EDD much thought these days in relation to her impact on our program. We are doing just fine.
When Samarie left- we had no back up to a tired freshman Dolson. And once Steph got in foul trouble vs Notre Dame early in semi's---- that game was over! Samarie kept BG off the boards in Htfd for about 25 minutes b fore fouling out in Htfd reg season game and gave us the opportunity to win that game!!! Caroline 2-threes late!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Imagine if she had stayed at UConn and we wouldn't of had to deal with the 3 to see all year and forever. So for that I blame EDD.

Also, Dolson's development wouldn't have been as crucial. Not saying she wouldn't have improved but she realized how much she needed to work to improve herself and her team because she was going to help carry the team as far as she would take them.

How silly - Someone was looking for a marketing tool and the "three to see" threesome was it - I don't believe it would have mattered for whom and where she (EDD) played.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
TJI, not sure it brought a lot of attention to WCBB as much as it was someone's idea. Whether it worked is open to testing and debate.

actually, I think that TJI's sarcasm meter was firmly buried in the red zone

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was hoping so but decided it wasn't.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
We won't ever know the kind of player she would have been at UConn. Clearly she has the basketball skills to compete at the highest level. On the other hand, we don't know enough about her mental makeup. Would those skills have translated into winning on the biggest stage? Nobody knows. EDD never gave us the chance.

She won on "the biggest stage"...the stage where she selected her own path in life. Now, that is "mental makeup".

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you're aware of it but EDD would never have been the challenger for minutes with Stephanie Dolson. They play two entirely different positions and there would have been no conflict. EDD probably would have been somewhere between a two and a three in the Huskie lineup.
Maybe between a 3 1/2 and a 4...no way a 2

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How silly - Someone was looking for a marketing tool and the "three to see" threesome was it - I don't believe it would have mattered for whom and where she (EDD) played.
Well she wouldn't have been a senior with Griner and Diggins. There would have only been 2 to see. Which of course does not rhyme, hence it would not have been used. So we would not have been subjected to the "3 (or 2) to see" campaign all year. (unless they would have found another senior to go along with Griner and Diggins)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well she wouldn't have been a senior with Griner and Diggins. There would have only been 2 to see. Which of course does not rhyme, hence it would not have been used. So we would not have been subjected to the "3 (or 2) to see" campaign all year. (unless they would have found another senior to go along with Griner and Diggins)

Gotcha - I didn't make that connection. My bad. I do think that Elena would have garnered a much greater profile and kudos on her own had she stayed with CT, but we will never know. She made the decision that UConn was not the place for her and transferred, which as we all know eventually led that marketing ploy of ESPN.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
you said that wasn't the point of OP. so i responded, whats the big deal?

Seriously, I could not connect the dots:

EDD right now is better. and it's not even close

wasn't the intent of the op..not even close

"No offense to EDD but I think we, as fans, got the better end of the deal watching Stef for 4 years." really?

especially since the majority of the OP contained what I thought to be the gist of pppggg's intent:

But then I thought about what we would have missed watching Stef Dolson mature as a player and a person. I think it’s safe to say that nobody has worked harder at becoming a better player than Stef. And how can you not love the joy she brings to the game. She planned thru pain this year and kept that smile on her face - a smile that lights up a room. Even the “bunny earsgate” had to be seen for what it was- a light hearted moment in the career of a girl who enjoys life.
In the grand scheme of life, it really doesn’t matter if the Huskies already had 10 NC’s banners hanging from the walls. What really matters are the people who carry the legacy of what it means to have the heart of a Husky.

which he clarified posting right after you:

EDD is better hands down. Really? Seriously? I would never have guess that.

My poimt wasn't who is better. Clearly EDD is a better overall palyer. My point was the Stef brought us a lot of joy over the last 3 years. That my not have happened if EDD was here.

I simply could not figure out how my thought connected to your thought and asked for clarification. No big deal, just a request for information.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gotcha - I didn't make that connection. My bad. I do think that Elena would have garnered a much greater profile and kudos on her own had she stayed with CT, but we will never know. She made the decision that UConn was not the place for her and transferred, which as we all know eventually led that marketing ploy of ESPN.
Yes, being as good as she was, playing on National TV at UCONN, she would have been a much bigger star. But it seemed to work out for her and her family. She would have helped out UCONN for sure, but we've done pretty well anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom