EDD vs Stef Dolson | The Boneyard

EDD vs Stef Dolson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched a few of EDD’s games on TV and got to thinking about what having her as a Husky for 4 years would have meant to the program. We might have a couple more NC banners hanging from the walls if she stayed at UCONN.
But then I thought about what we would have missed watching Stef Dolson mature as a player and a person. I think it’s safe to say that nobody has worked harder at becoming a better player than Stef. And how can you not love the joy she brings to the game. She planned thru pain this year and kept that smile on her face - a smile that lights up a room. Even the “bunny earsgate” had to be seen for what it was- a light hearted moment in the career of a girl who enjoys life.
In the grand scheme of life, it really doesn’t matter if the Huskies already had 10 NC’s banners hanging from the walls. What really matters are the people who carry the legacy of what it means to have the heart of a Husky.
No offense to EDD but I think we, as fans, got the better end of the deal watching Stef for 4 years.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Are you assuming Stef would not have come to UConn if Elena had stayed here?
I don't know that. Stef is a more traditional center...albeit one with a solid mid-range face-up shot. EDD is quite different in her skills-set...my guess is that if Stef had come to UConn with EDD already here, somehow those two with the assistance of the best staff in the game would have co-existed to a faretheewell.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, I am happy that Elena got what she wanted in college. It would have been amazing to see what she did at UConn, though.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I agree with Blakeon18, even if EDD had stayed, Stef still would have come to UConn. They play different postions and wouldn't have impacted Stef's decision. Where it MIGHT have impacted, would Stef be the player she is today if EDD had stayed. There would have been less emphasis on scoring the center position as EDD would provide the points. By not having EDD, Stef was needed to provide scoring and she has improved her game to provide it. Since Kiah is the better defensive player, would her minutes have increased if EDD was on the roster.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the OP may be exactly correct. Not that Stef and EDD couldn't have played together but that Stef's development might have been obscurred or even dumb by playing with EDD.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Imagine if she had stayed at UConn and we wouldn't of had to deal with the 3 to see all year and forever. So for that I blame EDD.

Also, Dolson's development wouldn't have been as crucial. Not saying she wouldn't have improved but she realized how much she needed to work to improve herself and her team because she was going to help carry the team as far as she would take them.

Reaction Score
EDD right now is better. and it's not even close

EDD is better hands down. Really? Seriously? I would never have guess that.

My poimt wasn't who is better. Clearly EDD is a better overall palyer. My point was the Stef brought us a lot of joy over the last 3 years. That my not have happened if EDD was here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
EDD is better hands down. Really? Seriously? I would never have guess that.

My poimt wasn't who is better. Clearly EDD is a better overall palyer. My point was the Stef brought us a lot of joy over the last 3 years. That my not have happened if EDD was here.

i might of misinterpreted your intent from the title of the thread. but yes hands down.

Reaction Score
I don't see how one would affect the other. They are apples and oranges. EDD is essentially a perimeter player who can go inside. Dolson is a post. It would more likely affect anyone who played the 4, 3 or 2 spots. EDD is one of the best players in the world already. It has to be a very short list of players that she wouldn't bump down the food chain.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I see how one would have affected the other. Not only do they play different positions, but Chris would still have spent the same amount of tome working with Stef to develop her post game. Now if the OP is saying that Stef wouldn't have gotten the opportunities she's had on offense IF EDD had stayed, I can't say for sure either way, but KML is at least as good a shooter as EDD, if not better, and Stef still gets her shots. Bree is a better all around player than EDD was at the same time in their development and Stef still got her shots.

Point is we will never know. But I do think it's a fair question and an interesting one.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Imagine if she had stayed at UConn and we wouldn't of had to deal with the 3 to see all year and forever. So for that I blame EDD.

I agree - totally stinks, all the attention the "Three to See" campaign has brought to wcbb and the WNBA. Who wants that? What we want is all-UConn all the time!

Reaction Score
I don't think EDD impacted whether Dolson comes to UConn. However...I sure would have had joy watching EDD play and win NCs at UConn.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
We probably would have had "3 to See"....one of them would have just been a UConn player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We probably would have had "3 to See"....one of them would have just been a UConn player.
Last year all 3 would have been UCONN players. KML, Stewie and EDD would have been the "3 To See." Add Stef and it would have been really "4 Is More."

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Yes, EDD is an awesome player. But I am past the could/woulda/shoulda re: EDD & UConn. I enjoy watching her play. Enough said.

I love watching Stef and the rest of our team play. I enjoy the championships we have and hope we get more of them soon. And I think our USA basketball-tested kids are ready to make another run.

The new season can't come soon enough!

Reaction Score
EDD didn't want to be at UConn and left as quickly as you possible could so there is no what if's. She's in the category of a recruit we didn't land because she was gone before we even saw her. We won 3 titles IN 5 years after she left and went 90-0 for a stretch. A what if is 2001 and the Shea and Svet ACL's. 1997 is a what if with another Shea ACL. Heck in 2011 Samarie Walker is a bigger what if than EDD because if she just lasted the year instead of bailing mid season (which no UConn player has ever done) maybe Maya goes out a champion.

EDD played where she wanted to play and we survived and continue to. In the mean time, We still have 3 more years of Breanna Stewart and 2 more of KML. Not giving EDD much thought these days in relation to her impact on our program. We are doing just fine.

Reaction Score
I watched a few of EDD’s games on TV and got to thinking about what having her as a Husky for 4 years would have meant to the program. We might have a couple more NC banners hanging from the walls if she stayed at UCONN.
But then I thought about what we would have missed watching Stef Dolson mature as a player and a person. I think it’s safe to say that nobody has worked harder at becoming a better player than Stef. And how can you not love the joy she brings to the game. She planned thru pain this year and kept that smile on her face - a smile that lights up a room. Even the “bunny earsgate” had to be seen for what it was- a light hearted moment in the career of a girl who enjoys life.
In the grand scheme of life, it really doesn’t matter if the Huskies already had 10 NC’s banners hanging from the walls. What really matters are the people who carry the legacy of what it means to have the heart of a Husky.
No offense to EDD but I think we, as fans, got the better end of the deal watching Stef for 4 years.
I'm not sure if you're aware of it but EDD would never have been the challenger for minutes with Stephanie Dolson. They play two entirely different positions and there would have been no conflict. EDD probably would have been somewhere between a two and a three in the Huskie lineup.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you're aware of it but EDD would never have been the challenger for minutes with Stephanie Dolson. They play two entirely different positions and there would have been no conflict. EDD probably would have been somewhere between a two and a three in the Huskie lineup.

Yes, but EDD's presence and impact may well have affected Stef's development and minutes and other parts of her game.

Reaction Score

Also, Dolson's development wouldn't have been as crucial. Not saying she wouldn't have improved but she realized how much she needed to work to improve herself and her team because she was going to help carry the team as far as she would take them.
I personally think that Dolson would have seen the need to be what she is, more svelte, quicker, in better shape and her development would have been exactly the same. I don't think she would have thought, "I don't need to be as good an offensive player because we got EDD". That line of reasoning is not in Stef's mindset, as far as I'm concerned. Her ambition and desire is to be the best ballplayer she can be and the staff would have pursued the perfect "Stef" like they do for all their players and hence, she would have strived for AND ATTAINED what she has. At the end of every season the players are given goals to work for and on and obviously, she's done her homework, hence the Stef that we see today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom