East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 11 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, a former BC Captain very much inside the program. He told me BC is now "strongly" in favor of adding UConn to an expanded ACC. In fact he said it's going to happen whenever the opportunity arises and I pressed him on that statement. BC supports regional rivalries for their students and fans (easier access to games) and the synergies created among "local rivals" rather than trying to form them with "the Georgia and Virginia Techs". As I said before, my conversation wasn't at a car wash, it was at dinner--- and like most of you I still have a "show me" attitude toward any pronouncements--- but I'm going with it for now.

Here's the more important issue. We need to build momentum now for a campus stadium study and a serious move to make it happen. Let me put it this way, if the B1G or ACC ever called and said 'you guys are in-- but we need you to have an on campus stadium for 45,000', would we say "no, never mind, we have traffic issues near the campus and we love our students bussing to East Hartford. Oh, and BTW, we can fix the leaks in our old stadium for only $63M"?
Let's prepare to meet the moment.
The ACC wouldn’t care if the stadium was on campus or not. It’s the strength and added value of the program. The stadium would have to be in good repair. I haven’t even heard whispers of any public support for a new stadium anywhere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hartford Hank, the BC Crank. Again with his finger on the pulse.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's the more important issue. We need to build momentum now for a campus stadium study and a serious move to make it happen. Let me put it this way, if the B1G or ACC ever called and said 'you guys are in-- but we need you to have an on campus stadium for 45,000',
Then I can maybe see it happening. Until the call comes, let's fix The Rent.

Reaction Score
And so tell me which of the items in the existing proposal extends its life beyond 30 years. The caulk? Because I don’t think it’s the caulk. The fiber optic system, which is the big ticket item? Because I don’t think that’s gonna do it either. The new elevator? I mean maybe you can make an argument for repairing the roofs.
if they only used that asbestos strengthened pcb caulk. That stuff lasts much longer.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Schools with far lower profile athletic departments are jumping into D1 football head first. Football will be needed to retain the school's national status and its basketball programs. The loss of big time football would result in us becoming UNH or URI.
UConn hasn't had big time football since 2010. I would agree that successful football enhances the brand. But the opposite is also true. Chronically poor football degrades it. Which is what we have seen in the last decade plus.

The point being that the situation has fundamentally changed in a profound manner. Instead of being given a wink and a nod and encouragement by a new power conference, UConn now finds itself without a home, having to take payday games in lieu of decent TV revenue, and geographically disadvantaged. It is a good thing that UConn got HCJM, because if anyone can make the program competitive, he would be the guy. But if he fails after four or five more seasons, unless UConn gets a P5 invite, there will have to be a decision made. And why would they continue with a program that is dragging down the brand with little chance of a turnaround?

Reaction Score
Until the call comes, let's fix The Rent.
How about commission a study. Waiting implies a lack of confidence in our expectations. You tend to get what you expect. Let's expect to move to a P-5 and prepare for it with an on-campus stadium. Galvanize our donors and get them behind a "We're Coming Home" campaign. Do the work, raise the money, excite the fanbase and the students, make it a foregone conclusion. Get the train rolling down the track. (I can't think of any more clichés.) How about "Do it!"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How about commission a study. Waiting implies a lack of confidence in our expectations. You tend to get what you expect. Let's expect to move to a P-5 and prepare for it with an on-campus stadium. Galvanize our donors and get them behind a "We're Coming Home" campaign. Do the work, raise the money, excite the fanbase and the students, make it a foregone conclusion. Get the train rolling down the track. (I can't think of any more clichés.) How about "Do it!"
I remember when the "if you build it, the P-5 will come" mantra referred to another deck on The Rent. Good thing we didn't listen then either.

Reaction Score
Blowing up the big east was never long term wise for anybody but Miami and I predicted THAT way back when it happened still new to UConn as a graduate student. So far I've been more or less right that realignment has helped none of the northeast schools.

The Boston College people at the time were running off their own smug fumes that they thought that they were so special that they could thrive anywhere. NOPE!
The move the BIG has helped Rutgers a lot. If you are only talking football, you can argue the point. However, I would give Schiano 2-3 more years to see where the program is.

The rest of the Athletic Department is thriving. The school had its highest finish ever in the President's Cup (overall AD performance). Mens hoops (probably the worst P5 program of the last 30 years) has made back to back NCAA Tournaments and if not for Covid would be three straight. Women's Soccer and mens lacrosse made the FF last year. Field Hockey was the overall #1 seed for the NCAA, wrestling, women's lacrosse and crew were all top 15 programs. Baseball won a school record 45 games and "should" have made the NCAA. The BIG has been great for RU overall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The move the BIG has helped Rutgers a lot. If you are only talking football, you can argue the point. However, I would give Schiano 2-3 more years to see where the program is.

The rest of the Athletic Department is thriving. The school had its highest finish ever in the President's Cup (overall AD performance). Women's Soccer and mens lacrosse made the FF last year. Field Hockey was the overall #1 seed for the NCAA, wrestling, women's lacrosse and crew were all top 15 programs. Baseball won a school record 45 games and "should" have made the NCAA. The BIG has been great for RU overall.
As I had previously stated, Rutgers has won the CR lottery, no doubt about it.

Reaction Score
There were several reasons originally against an on campus stadium, most of which still apply. The gift of the East Hartford site sealed the deal. One argument favoring East Hartford was that down staters were more likely to travel there than to Storrs. Probably true and for now at least definitely true due to how bad the teams have been. At the time The Rent was approved, UConn was already starting Big East membership and game day at Storrs was done pretty well. Would enough people travel to Storrs to a D1 stadium (a lot of formerly buildable land has now been used for other things including sports venues) if UConn were competitive? I visited VTech several times when my son was at grad school there and the big stadium was packed on game day. Blacksburg is way more isolated from population centers than Storrs.
Connecticut just isn't a football culture state like all these other states around the country. There would obviously be more fans and excitement if there was a winner but we're also culturally different than these other states when it comes to driving. Growing up in CT. people I knew people who thought a half hour drive was a lot and many people I knew rarely if ever made the trip 2 hours to NYC or Boston because it was too far. Living in the Midwest a 2 hour drive is nothing. People have no problem driving 6 hours to games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember when the "if you build it, the P-5 will come" mantra referred to another deck on The Rent. Good thing we didn't listen then either.
Well there was an implied if you build it and you don’t suck, they will come. I’m not sure that would’ve end up being correct, but our trend line at the end of Randy Edsall‘s first tenure looked pretty damn good.

CL82

Reaction Score

The rest of the Athletic Department is thriving. The school had its highest finish ever in the President's Cup (overall AD performance). Mens hoops (probably the worst P5 program of the last 30 years) has made back to back NCAA Tournaments and if not for Covid would be three straight. Women's Soccer and mens lacrosse made the FF last year. Field Hockey was the overall #1 seed for the NCAA, wrestling, women's lacrosse and crew were all top 15 programs. Baseball won a school record 45 games and "should" have made the NCAA. The BIG has been great for RU overall.
I am inclined to agree. It also gave it a higher presence in New Jersey, although it’s nothing compared to the UConn fanaticism that you see in Connecticut.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn should have moved the whole school to Hartford 30 years ago. UConn needed a huge overhaul in the early 90's and that was the time to write off Storrs and move the school to Hartford. It would have been expensive, but better for UConn and Hartford in the long run. They didn't do it, and now we have a big school in the middle of nowhere Connecticut that is not convenient to get to for 90% of the state and the locals hate that the school is there anyway.

Stuff like the XL Center and Rentschler are going to be problems for UConn as long as we are D1 in athletics because the school is in a remote section of the state that no one wants to go to. The stadium being in East Hartford hurts the football program because it is away from campus, but building a new stadium in Storrs is cost prohibitive for something that would be an hour and a half to two hours away from over half the population of the state (New Haven and Fairfield counties). All the choices are bad.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Connecticut just isn't a football culture state like all these other states around the country. There would obviously be more fans and excitement if there was a winner but we're also culturally different than these other states when it comes to driving. Growing up in CT. people I knew people who thought a half hour drive was a lot and many people I knew rarely if ever made the trip 2 hours to NYC or Boston because it was too far. Living in the Midwest a 2 hour drive is nothing. People have no problem driving 6 hours to games.
Agree on the drive culture. But in general UConn fans tend to be fair weather fans. While UConn is more of a hoops school, attendance dropped even during Calhoun years in seasons where expectations weren’t met. A product of being a big winner. Football the same, with, as you said, football not being the same attraction to begin with. But having great seats since day 1 of The Rent, I can testify there is nothing like a fall off from winning to get people unwilling to drive even a half hour.

Reaction Score
UConn should have moved the whole school to Hartford 30 years ago. UConn needed a huge overhaul in the early 90's and that was the time to write off Storrs and move the school to Hartford. It would have been expensive, but better for UConn and Hartford in the long run. They didn't do it, and now we have a big school in the middle of nowhere Connecticut that is not convenient to get to for 90% of the state and the locals hate that the school is there anyway.

Stuff like the XL Center and Rentschler are going to be problems for UConn as long as we are D1 in athletics because the school is in a remote section of the state that no one wants to go to. The stadium being in East Hartford hurts the football program because it is away from campus, but building a new stadium in Storrs is cost prohibitive for something that would be an hour and a half to two hours away from over half the population of the state (New Haven and Fairfield counties). All the choices are bad.
If you want a state university with more of a Hartford area presence adequately fund Central CT. There is nothing wrong with a major university being located in a rural region. Look at Dartmouth. UConn needs to make research and P5 sports priorities. That can happen where ever the campus is located.

Reaction Score

If we're playing this imaginary game... UConn should be in Stamford

Reaction Score
More spitballing… (and I think the “cost is not an issue”/cost projection is very understated IMO) but a good recap here:

-> … Additionally, finding a site on or near campus to build the stadium will be hard. The campus is pretty crowded as it is and would likely require either conservation land, which is tricky to re-zone, or creative use of certain spaces. Here are some options:

Depot Campus

While not perfect, Depot Campus is two miles from the rest of the main campus, most of the buildings are uninhabited and with nearly 250 acres in space, building a large facility with ample parking makes this the most realistic on-campus option. UConn shuttle buses already run there regularly, which would make student travel much easier than the 35-minute bus drive and rental that they currently undertake. However, part of the campus is on the National Register of Historic Places, which limits and complicates the development of the site.

Industrial Tract

Using a portion of Industrial Tract on the west side of Discovery Drive between the Industrial Partnership Building and US 44 is probably the most geographically ideal location, but it also comes with issues. As conservation land, it would likely require approval from the town of Mansfield, a legislative jurisdiction that is famously unwilling to make anything regarding UConn expansion easy. It comes with lots of parking nearby, including C, J, and K lots, and easy access to US 44, but the size of the space and distance from homes on Grandview Cr. could also pose an issue.

Other sites where a stadium could possibly work include the former Mansfield Apartments and Moss Sanctuary on S. Eagleville Rd. <-

Reaction Score
I mean this as a very legitimate question:

What part of the Depot Campus and why the depot campus is considered to be on the National Register of Historical Places?

Reaction Score

Interesting things at UCLA. We should absolutely take this chance to build an on campus stadium. Will be a game changer for both the campus and team. 30k - 40k seats?

CL82

Reaction Score
More spitballing… (and I think the “cost is not an issue”/cost projection is very understated IMO) but a good recap here:

-> … Additionally, finding a site on or near campus to build the stadium will be hard. The campus is pretty crowded as it is and would likely require either conservation land, which is tricky to re-zone, or creative use of certain spaces. Here are some options:

Depot Campus

While not perfect, Depot Campus is two miles from the rest of the main campus, most of the buildings are uninhabited and with nearly 250 acres in space, building a large facility with ample parking makes this the most realistic on-campus option. UConn shuttle buses already run there regularly, which would make student travel much easier than the 35-minute bus drive and rental that they currently undertake. However, part of the campus is on the National Register of Historic Places, which limits and complicates the development of the site.

Industrial Tract

Using a portion of Industrial Tract on the west side of Discovery Drive between the Industrial Partnership Building and US 44 is probably the most geographically ideal location, but it also comes with issues. As conservation land, it would likely require approval from the town of Mansfield, a legislative jurisdiction that is famously unwilling to make anything regarding UConn expansion easy. It comes with lots of parking nearby, including C, J, and K lots, and easy access to US 44, but the size of the space and distance from homes on Grandview Cr. could also pose an issue.

Other sites where a stadium could possibly work include the former Mansfield Apartments and Moss Sanctuary on S. Eagleville Rd. <-

This article is a really nice summary. I think they are being a little optimistic on the cost but otherwise it’s pretty good.

It still think the Separatist Tract is the best site. It is right in the Athletic Quarter. There is room. Parking lots could be used to support baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. Weekdays, it could support student parking.

76E70A39-0387-4178-B45D-4BCDE9A6A8C2.jpeg

Reaction Score
We're also culturally different than these other states when it comes to driving.
Look, if you don't believe our football program has a sufficient future to even consider an alternative to fixing The Rent, then stop reading now.
But if you do, if you think Mora's leadership and the real possibility of a conference affiliation seem attainable, then consider this fact: cultures are capable of changing. I've always believed that it's rarely "the cost" or "the time" that deters people from going to an event. It's all about 'the desire". Think about it in your own experience. If you really wanted to attend something---a game, a concert, whatever---you made the time and found the money--and endured the drive and the parking hassles. So let's stop dithering about this. It's impractical to spend $63+M on the leaky Rent. I say put it up for rent! --or demolition for a major commercial development. It's time to commission a study, announce its intentions, show drawings of stadiums at possible venues on or near the campus. Create some excitement, build momentum, and let the people see and feel (via great videos) what the experience would look and feel like on a fall football day in Storrs. Change the culture? Build the desire. Just do it. I'm exhausted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom