East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 12 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This article is a really nice summary. I think they are being a little optimistic on the cost but otherwise it’s pretty good.

It still think the Separatist Tract is the best site. It is right in the Athletic Quarter. There is room. Parking lots could be used to support baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. Weekdays, it could support student parking.

View attachment 79169

It does seem odd they included depot campus and Insdustrial Tract but not Separatist tract.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Interesting things at UCLA. We should absolutely take this chance to build an on campus stadium. Will be a game changer for both the campus and team. 30k - 40k seats?

Interesting things at UCLA? Yeah, they just made it into the Big 10. Clearly an on-campus stadium was irrelevant. And what chance to build an on campus stadium are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Interesting things at UCLA? Yeah, they just made it into the Big 10. Clearly an on-campus stadium was irrelevant. And what chance to build an on campus stadium are you talking about?

Interesting things at UCLA. We should absolutely take this chance to build an on campus stadium. Will be a game changer for both the campus and team. 30k - 40k seats

Attendance was worse at the BC - Maine game Saturday night, and that stadium, if you can call it that, is shoe-harned into the campus.

Reaction Score
Attendance was worse at the BC - Maine game Saturday night, and that stadium, if you can call it that, is shoe-harned into the campus.
It was reported as almost 35k. I didn’t see the game - how did the stands look?

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
We need to look 5-10 years down the road. The SEC/Big Ten (or some version of such) will hoover up all the semi-pro teams that are playing now (maybe 40 or so), tell the NCAA to stuff it, and begin their own league. Everyone else will be left playing in regional leagues, the way it should be for real college sports, with commensurate revenue. Anyone who thinks UConn football will be in a better place in that time frame is drinking or smoking something that I need some of!

Reaction Score
It was reported as almost 35k. I didn’t see the game - how did the stands look?
Nowhere near that. At the beginning of the 4th quarter there couldn’t have been 4,000 people left. The game was more competitive than the final score.

Reaction Score
There is a large open area off Rt 195 at the top of the hill coming into campus. It is behind the old bulding that was the police HQ. That is where I would put it. Basically north of the water towers.

Reaction Score
The chance to fix a mistake that is obviously upon us. All I'm saying is there should be a serious conversation at the highest levels about our options before sinking in 63 million dollars - thats simply doing your due diligence. I am absolutely convinced the game-day experience and student attendance would improve. Having the stadium in Hartford was one of the dumbest things that UConn ever did.

It’s honestly shocking how many people (you) get so vexed whenever the idea is brought up.

Reaction Score
OK, long time viewer, 1st post.
BS 1983, MBA 1986, so getting to be an Old Timer.
Loved my Saturdays at Memorial Stadium, both during Undergrad & Grad school (Still have one of those White Plastic Beer Cups from the "Huskies Spirit Tent LOL)
I was there "When The Lights Went On" vs. New Hampshire , 1st Night Home Huskie Football Game Ever.
Charter Season Ticket Holder at The Rent, held them until my children were born, and I couldn't dedicate all week any longer for the big east deciding what game of the week our game was going to be.
Loved The Rent, Big Upgrade over Memorial, Amazing experiences, Beating Syracuse in a monsoon, and Louisville (Where that Kick Return really looked like the Huskie signaled for a fair catch)
Well... Great Memories, and now we are where we are.
Despite what happens to UConn Football in the future, (Independence, Little 3, 1AA), it is time to abandon The Rent and bring Uconn Football Back to Storrs.
We have a Governor that is behind the program, now is the time.
Build a 50,000 potential expandable stadium on Campus, let's not stumble bum it like we did for Gampel for years, Let's just Get er DONE.

Reaction Score
For the love,,,, just build that!!!! It will fit where the current Sherman Family field is and can hold upwards of 40,000 seats. No way that costs over $350,000,000 considering the field is already there! If they can fit that in Boone, they can fit that in Storrs!

download.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It’s honestly shocking how many people (you) get so vexed whenever the idea is brought up.
Because it's such a waste of time. There is no enthusiam statewide to give UConn FB any more money. None. Except for a handful of you guys on this board. There is even less enthusiasm for casual fans to drive to Storrs. UConn can't even sell out hoop on-campus. It's maddening how clueless you all are.

Reaction Score
Because it's such a waste of time. There is no enthusiam statewide to give UConn FB any more money. None. Except for a handful of you guys on this board. There is even less enthusiasm for casual fans to drive to Storrs. UConn can't even sell out hoop on-campus. It's maddening how clueless you all are.
It's also shocking how many people want to kick the dead horse on this topic without any semblance of state support for a new stadium, not to mention local opposition. Apparently you can sprinkle fairy dust on these issues and they will miraculously go away.

In a perfect world we'd all love to see an on-campus stadium, but locale wise, Storrs is a very inconvenient location for most of the state.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And you know that because you pulled everyone in state and polled every “casual football fan”. Is that correct?

Speaking for myself, I strongly doubt that we are going to build a new football stadium in Storrs In the immediate future. The question that’s being talked about here is the weather it makes sense to invest $64 million in our 20 year old stadium in East Hartford. From my perspective, the state should make the investments necessary to maintain the property but hold off on any additional investment in the near term.

The basketball comparison seems a little disingenuous given that no one is tailgating before the basketball games in the middle of winter. But in autumn, for six dates a year, going back on campus may be more appealing than going to East Hartford.

Reaction Score
People act as if $63 million over 5 years is a big investment. I pointed out earlier in the thread that the depreciation on the Rent is probably about $3 to $4 million per year so the reality is that the state should have been accruing ~$3 million per yer (plus inflation) to maintain the Rent. If you build a facility, it depreciates over time and needs maintenance and replacements/upgrades.

Honestly, the repairs/maintenance noted and the cost should not be a surprise to anyone. The bottom line is that politicians get recognition for new buildings or services but not maintenance of them so they don't plan for the future costs.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
right now, this very moment, many States of, let's say, similar leadership
culture,
are going quickly backward in their budgets.
heck, we can't even figger out how to appropriately fund our low income heating support account, much less even bring it to last year's level.

nobody around these parts is even remotely considering expanding our state football spending, other than fixing some stuff that should be done. mebbe some of that 'infrastructure' cash might be used for a study.

im kinda sick of 'studies.' eg route 11. what's that, like 50 years already?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And you know that because you pulled everyone in state and polled every “casual football fan”. Is that correct?
I used sampling. Zero support from any non-UConn fan expressed ever. How many non-UConn fans do you know that want the state to buy UConn an on-campus stadium? I was going to add "be honest" but lol.

Reaction Score
The chance to fix a mistake that is obviously upon us. All I'm saying is there should be a serious conversation at the highest levels about our options before sinking in 63 million dollars - thats simply doing your due diligence. I am absolutely convinced the game-day experience and student attendance would improve. Having the stadium in Hartford was one of the dumbest things that UConn ever did.

So building the stadium in East Hartford was a mistake? So I guess you would say that moving to FBS was also a mistake because it wouldn't have happened without the stadium. The vast majority of UConn fans were happy to get a new stadium period. It still serves its purpose and needs to be kept up to date and in good repair.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I used sampling. Zero support from any non-UConn fan expressed ever. How many non-UConn fans do you know that want the state to buy UConn an on-campus stadium? I was going to add "be honest" but lol.
LOL, and how big a sample size was that? And did you directly ask these non-fans whether they would support a stadium or is it just everyone in Connecticut you’ve ever met who has never talked about it? Because if it’s the latter, then your comments seemed to be in bad faith.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Connecticut just isn't a football culture state like all these other states around the country. There would obviously be more fans and excitement if there was a winner but we're also culturally different than these other states when it comes to driving. Growing up in CT. people I knew people who thought a half hour drive was a lot and many people I knew rarely if ever made the trip 2 hours to NYC or Boston because it was too far. Living in the Midwest a 2 hour drive is nothing. People have no problem driving 6 hours to games.
It's true. I still recall the Nebraska fans rolling into Lawrence on Saturday mornings, it was impressive. But people came from other schools too...and those were road games. KU was good then, and yes that mattered, alumni would drive from KC and elsewhere. They may sell out this week vs. Duke. Culturally for students though, it's just really different to walk to the stadium, or to rented houses near a stadium (the case in Lawrence) and partake in BBQ, and other pre-game festivities. It becomes a ritual, as it is across the south and midwest.

The Rent allowed UConn to go FBS, but it didn't do anything to build a football culture for the students. That was a missed opportunity, because a student who buys in to that culture becomes one of those fans that is willing to drive to games later on.

Reaction Score
Endless loop. Awful stadium means weak recruiting, bad performance, then Mora leaves and we get some joker as a coach. Only way it could work is with substantial funding from wealthy donors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
On campus stadium could be used for many other functions besides football; concerts, graduations, Freshman orientation etc....
Doubtful it will ever happen.

Reaction Score
Not to start a Peeing contest, but the decision to build a New On Campus Football Stadium in Storrs, CT. has absolutely NOTHING to do with what the Connecticut residents at large want. I'm quite certain they would not have approved a brand new Athletic Facility at SCSU 4 years ago, nor would residents without college aged Children / Grand Children support SCSU's new Business School scheduled to open this fall, nor the Brand New Art department they are about to break ground on.
My point here is that these projects are deemed to be in the best interest of the whole state of Connecticut, not the at large residents that don't want the state to spend anything that doesn't enhance their specific lives.
If The University President, Board of Regents, and Athletic Director start the ball rolling, it could in fact happen.
No one should worry about traffic 6 afternoons out of the year. Those that are worried about that, I personally invite you to share my experience driving from Trumbull to Stamford every day for work.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
On campus stadium could be used for many other functions besides football; concerts, graduations, Freshman orientation etc....
Doubtful it will ever happen.
We used to do that with Memorial. I remember some great spring weekend concerts. But it was also in a great location.

Reaction Score
Played golf with a UConn grad who basically said going to football games was a pain. He didn’t like going to Hartford for basketball either… he and his friends didn’t go to either.

Just not enough support to do things right.

How big is the new hockey facility on campus going to be? Oh yeah, play important games in stinking Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom