2025 Recruiting: - Dwayne Aristode | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Dwayne Aristode

Status
Not open for further replies.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Bag of cash to Yale Payne Whitney Gymnasium over the summer. Big man problem solved…

IMG_7619.gif

Reaction Score
What's your question?

Things have changed with the transfer portal. We have the best backcourt in the country because of it.
I think you might be the only one in America who has noticed that.

Reaction Score
Is he really that far off from where Hilton Armstrong was when he made his jump?
Can’t tell if this is serious, but pretty clearly the exception, not the rule. Could Samson have a huge jump? Sure. Should Hurley count on it when assembling the team for next year? Absolutely not.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Is he really that far off from where Hilton Armstrong was when he made his jump?
Yes, absolutely. Armstrong could do some big man things at this point.

Samson almost exclusively runs and jumps right now.

As a go with your recruited guys advocate even I’m saying we’ll need to hit the portal here.

Reaction Score
i dont think that's necessarily news. there's thousands of high school players that want to play for UConn but they have to be good enough to be recruited in the first place.

having said that you gotta make time for recruits like aristode. Hurley cast too small a net in 2024 and we're gonna have to strike gold in the transfer portal for the 3rd time in 3 years to make up for it.
That’s a fair point, did we not want to appear to recruit over this year’s freshmen class? Did we maybe over evaluate Samson?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Can’t tell if this is serious, but pretty clearly the exception, not the rule. Could Samson have a huge jump? Sure. Should Hurley count on it when assembling the team for next year? Absolutely not.
Samson doesn’t have quite a long enough neck to go full hilton

Reaction Score
Why are people saying things have changed and that with 2024 recruiting we still have half the class open and/or uncommitted?

I just checked the top 100 for the first time and only 4 out of 100 players are uncommitted.
Because there's about to be 1000+ uncommitted kids available within the next month

Reaction Score
That’s a fair point, did we not want to appear to recruit over this year’s freshmen class? Did we maybe over evaluate Samson?
We can only go by what we see now. Those comments way back by Hurley or someone that said “wall potential” or to that effect sound pretty funny.
I will be excited to see who we get for a 5.

Reaction Score
There is no way anyone would predict a summer where Samson improves enough to handle a starting position. That rate of improvement would be unbelievable. At this point, we need to be wondering if Samson is even able to handle a bench big role. A quality big in the portal and a strong off-season from Singare need to be priorities.
Totally disagree that he can’t start next year. It’s not ideal, but looking at where our other freshmen will be next year, he fits right in. And he has started this year and has held his own. He definitely needs to improve but he’s more than capable. I too think we need a better big, but Samson isn’t like having only Singare, that would be bad.

Reaction Score
Seems like our biggest need is at the 5 and 4
Center, yes absolutely. But the 4 spot is locked down with Karaban and Stewart. Karaban's mom probably won't let him leave without a degree haha so I would bet he's back next season.

We need another high impact shooter like Hawkins or Spencer. That's the biggest role aside from Center that we'll need to fill

Reaction Score
We can only go by what we see now. Those comments way back by Hurley or someone that said “wall potential” or to that effect sound pretty funny.
I will be excited to see who we get for a 5.
For some of that time he was injuried, so difficult to evaluate. And was also part of a crowded practice position with Sanogo and Clingan. Other players raved about him as he does make highlight dunks. But, he needs more strength, post moves and an identity on defense.

Reaction Score
Because there's about to be 1000+ uncommitted kids available within the next month
Sorry, I thought we were talking about the Class of 2024, not UConn's recruiting class.

Mixed it up. Anytime I hear 2024 mentioned, I think "Class of" right now -- doing a lot of pre-college application stuff for my kid.

Reaction Score

Yes, he is very far off from where Hilton was. You're bringing up Hilton because his improvement is practically unheard of. Expecting that is nuts.

Hilton also had a better rebounding rate, lower foul rate, hit a better FT% on a higher rate, had a better block rate, and double the assist rate of SJ his junior year. The foundation was there for Hilton to turn himself into a legit big (however rare the improvement) because he was a baller, not just an athlete.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree that he can’t start next year. It’s not ideal, but looking at where our other freshmen will be next year, he fits right in. And he has started this year and has held his own. He definitely needs to improve but he’s more than capable. I too think we need a better big, but Samson isn’t like having only Singare, that would be bad.

If Samson is our starting big, we are not a top-25 team. He's fouling over 8x a game per 40-minutes in conference play, doesn't draw fouls, can't make them when he does draw them, his rebounding rate is embarassing, and despite his length still doesn't block shots. He does nothing you need in a bench big, let alone a starting big.

Samson seems like an awesome kid and I hope he stays and gets his degree. He might have fit in during the KO era and backed up Amidah or something. We have moved on from his skill level.

Reaction Score
Yes, he is very far off from where Hilton was. You're bringing up Hilton because his improvement is practically unheard of. Expecting that is nuts.

Hilton also had a better rebounding rate, lower foul rate, hit a better FT% on a higher rate, had a better block rate, and double the assist rate of SJ his junior year. The foundation was there for Hilton to turn himself into a legit big (however rare the improvement) because he was a baller, not just an athlete.
^^^ this. Samson just doesn't seem to have the play-since-you-were-little skills. Also needs to be much stronger to hold that position. He gets moved out way too easy. Love his attitude and athleticism, but he needs more strength and skills.

Reaction Score
Samson is well-suited for the role he has. Perhaps Singare develops into a player who warrants 10ish minutes a game, but not holding my breath. He looks like a 4 year player to me, perhaps a candidate to transfer if he is dissatisfied with his role. Reliable big man is key for next year.

Reaction Score
^^^ this. Samson just doesn't seem to have the play-since-you-were-little skills. Also needs to be much stronger to hold that position. He gets moved out way too easy. Love his attitude and athleticism, but he needs more strength and skills.

Exactly. He should take some charges though because guys absolutely barrel into him and move him back. Might as well fall down.

I think if we had the experience of newton and Spencer he would be fine starting for us next season but without that we need to get an experienced and talented 5 and hope Samson provides a valuable bench role again.

Reaction Score
If Samson is our starting big, we are not a top-25 team. He's fouling over 8x a game per 40-minutes in conference play, doesn't draw fouls, can't make them when he does draw them, his rebounding rate is embarassing, and despite his length still doesn't block shots. He does nothing you need in a bench big, let alone a starting big.

Samson seems like an awesome kid and I hope he stays and gets his degree. He might have fit in during the KO era and backed up Amidah or something. We have moved on from his skill level.
I’m not claiming to know what he will look like next year, but players improve one year to next, usually and I expect him to. He is perfect for his role now, I agree, but I don’t expect us to be a top 25 team next year anyways, Hurley is the man but he can’t keep us in the top 25 every year. I expect next year to be more about our young players getting better and becoming studs so that the following year we can plug the holes and be at or in the top ten the following year. That’s why having Samson start and develop won’t be a stretch. Now if Hurley can plug all the holes next year and build a contender, then no he shouldn’t be a starter if we have solid pieces elsewhere, I just don’t think next year will be that kind of year.

Reaction Score
I hypothesized in my last post maybe he thought cooper and pat were the only freshmen he’d rather have than transfers. Do you buy that?
This is exactly what he said. I believe he said it at a clinic or something right after they both committed. Paraphrased "we only thought that there were a couple frosh that fit what we're trying to do. We went hard after them, but it didn't work out, so we'll go with transfers instead".

I dont remember the article, but it was within 2 weeks of the commitments.

Reaction Score

To be fair....Hilton also played more...this is SJ first season playing

Reaction Score
Karaban's mom probably won't let him leave without a degree haha so I would bet he's back next season.

I have no idea what his plans are....but I'll post my previous .02. He got here a semester early, and he's been taking summer classes for 2 years and a full course load...my guess is he's close to graduating this semester, or maybe a few online classes away. If he comes back, I doubt it's because of a degree

Reaction Score
To be fair....Hilton also played more...this is SJ first season playing

After his junior season, Hilton had played about 1000 minutes.

Samson will have played 700+ by the end of this season if we make a decent run. I get what you're saying, but he's had more than enough run this year to have shown improvement, but all we've seen is the same mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom