Durham transferring | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Durham transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Serious question: do you truly believe we won't fill the roster with eligible players?
We just stumbled through a season using guys who wouldn't have gotten serious minutes except for the injuries. Now 3 of those players are out, the top recruit isn't coming, and there is nothing on the horizon. Ollie got a pass this year because of the injuries, now he gets a pass because he's "rebuilding." I don't like the idea that we no longer target kids that can stay and develop, instead we keep trying to grab transfers and 5th year seniors to instantly plug holes. It's not working so far.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
We just stumbled through a season using guys who wouldn't have gotten serious minutes except for the injuries. Now 3 of those players are out, the top recruit isn't coming, and there is nothing on the horizon. Ollie got a pass this year because of the injuries, now he gets a pass because he's "rebuilding." I don't like the idea that we no longer target kids that can stay and develop, instead we keep trying to grab transfers and 5th year seniors to instantly plug holes. It's not working so far.

You didn't answer my question. Do you truly believe we won't fill the roster with eligible players?

Reaction Score
Someone from the University (Benedict's job), has to hold a presser, because without it, every reason for what is happening is speculation, and the optics to commits for '17-18 are horrific. That has to change, because players still in the program, as well as those coming in, or those that may consider coming in, have to be speculating as well, and they will likely reach the wrong conclusion. Put yourself in that boat, your a current player, a recruited player, or potential added player, are you thinking bout jumping ship? I can only put myself in those shoes, and I'd stay far away, until someone can make a statement. STOP HIDING! STAND UP AND DO YOUR JOB!

Benedict comes in and immediately extends Diaco, and fires him less than 12 months later, now in the still of the night, on the sly extends Ollie. So if it is determined that Ollie is the problem, he can't be fired, because there is no money. Benedict has already cost Uconn millions, time to evaluate him as well.

We are becoming a laughing stock, it is like a comedy on the outside, and an epic tragedy on the inside.

Reaction Score
Someone from the University (Benedict's job), has to hold a presser, because without it, every reason for what is happening is speculation, and the optics to commits for '17-18 are horrific. That has to change, because players still in the program, as well as those coming in, or those that may consider coming in, have to be speculating as well, and they will likely reach the wrong conclusion. Put yourself in that boat, your a current player, a recruited player, or potential added player, are you thinking bout jumping ship? I can only put myself in those shoes, and I'd stay far away, until someone can make a statement. STOP HIDING! STAND UP AND DO YOUR JOB!

Benedict comes in and immediately extends Diaco, and fires him less than 12 months later, now in the still of the night, on the sly extends Ollie. So if it is determined that Ollie is the problem, he can't be fired, because there is no money. Benedict has already cost Uconn millions, time to evaluate him as well.

We are becoming a laughing stock, it is like a comedy on the outside, and an epic tragedy on the inside.

I don't want to be a dick here but what, exactly, do you expect someone at the University to say? The way I see it, they can go one of two ways: 1) Blah blah blah. Ten toes in. We UConn. OR 2) Here's all of the dirty laundry.

Either scenario doesn't seem terribly useful.

Reaction Score
What exactly is Benedict supposed to say?
"Effective immediately, Kevin Ollie has been relieved of his duties as the University of Connecticut's Men's Basketball Coach. The search for a replacement will commence immediately."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dude, the team returns 4 players who have played a minute of Division 1 college basketball.

Adams, Vital and then the 3 games we saw from Larrier and Gilbert.

That's not dysfunctional? Are you kidding me?
Dude?
OK Jr - the 3 that are gone - if it weren't for injuries would have seen how much playing time?
You can sit here and say the SE and JD were going to come back in September with SE picking up foot speed and defend at a high D1 level and JD would be 100% healthy in the knees and added 20 pounds of muscle
VJ was gone - plain and simple - you could read those teal leaves 1 million miles away
Try to look at things is a broader sense
I wouldn't had said it if I was kidding you

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think it's funny that you think you are being clever here or something.
I'll bet there are many who think the same thing about you

Reaction Score
I'm getting a really good laugh at anyone here who believes MAL de-committed to UConn because of Glen Miller.

A warning again for now and future posts of this nature, I do not have contacts into the program so what I hear is more from the player/AAU perspective. Now we know from the beat writers that MAL was promised minutes, we did not know how much or significant. From those I spoke to, it sounded as if the staff anticipated Jalen would be in the NBA next season and that was communicated to him in terms of how minutes would be doled out. Considering he de-committed on Friday and Jalen assured he was coming back Saturday maybe he knew (or maybe it was just fairly obvious).

Either way, as I speculated a couple days ago in the MAL thread, I think this is just more ammo to the argument Jalen was not supposed to be here next year and it was supposed to be Gilbert/MAL running the show. So I don't think @UConNation was wrong on this as much as Miller being fired may have just been the straw that broke the camels back on this issue. If Miller was his biggest advocate and now he's gone, what was he supposed to expect with Adams/Gilbert/Vital in the fold?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You didn't answer my question. Do you truly believe we won't fill the roster with eligible players?
Yes, and I am entitled to that opinion based on the tire fire we becoming. Happy to be wrong.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As if I am supposed to be upset by some snowflake putting me on ignore. This place gets better all the time.
1. I'm no snowflake - that's a DB statement
2. That's why I called you a DB
3. I don't care if get you upset or not

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I may have more once I actually absorb the thread, and I may not. The thing is, you've got to go to battle with the soldiers you have, not the ones you don't.

Yah, but you actually need some soldiers to do that. hahaha

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'd be okay with this if we had good recruits coming in to replace all the deification. The guys coming in(Polley, Carlton, Cobb) would normally not be expected to produce much as underclassmen. The one instant impact freshman we had, left. All our prospective recruits fall in the first group of guys I named. Good luck KO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't think they need to make a public statement, but they need to be in the ear of every potential UCONN recruit, handlers, and AAU connects and letting them know what's going on. I assume they are.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't want to be a dick here but what, exactly, do you expect someone at the University to say? The way I see it, they can go one of two ways: 1) Blah blah blah. Ten toes in. We UConn. OR 2) Here's all of the dirty laundry.

Either scenario doesn't seem terribly useful.
Anyone who starts of saying "I don't want to be" really wants to be. I gave you a like just because you were a DICK!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A warning again for now and future posts of this nature, I do not have contacts into the program so what I hear is more from the player/AAU perspective. Now we know from the beat writers that MAL was promised minutes, we did not know how much or significant. From those I spoke to, it sounded as if the staff anticipated Jalen would be in the NBA next season and that was communicated to him in terms of how minutes would be doled out. Considering he de-committed on Friday and Jalen assured he was coming back Saturday maybe he knew (or maybe it was just fairly obvious).

Either way, as I speculated a couple days ago in the MAL thread, I think this is just more ammo to the argument Jalen was not supposed to be here next year and it was supposed to be Gilbert/MAL running the show. So I don't think @UConNation was wrong on this as much as Miller being fired may have just been the straw that broke the camels back on this issue. If Miller was his biggest advocate and now he's gone, what was he supposed to expect with Adams/Gilbert/Vital in the fold?

You figure Jalen averaged 35 minutes on a team decimated by injuries, Vital around 30 and the the wildcard is Gilbert. Say he returns and plays 30 minutes a game.

If we're playing 3 guards on the court at all times, which given our roster construction, I don't see how we couldn't.

Adams 35 / 40
Vital 30 / 40
Gilbert 30 / 40

At minimum you're looking at 25 minutes per game and if MAL is as good as advertised, you think he would be worried about losing PT to Vital?

I don't doubt your post. I just think there are bigger issues on hand here than PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom