Durham transferring | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Durham transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Dude, the team returns 4 players who have played a minute of Division 1 college basketball.

Adams, Vital and then the 3 games we saw from Larrier and Gilbert.

That's not dysfunctional? Are you kidding me?

Do you really think Enoch/Durham/VJ would make the team that much better? They can bring in players who will perform at a higher level then them.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd be more concerned if this was the stuff going on and Ollie wasn't literally doing the most painful thing possible - which is to gut the program of kids like this.

I've been a harsh Ollie critic - and yes - I think we can do better than him and I don't think if we let him go that we're going to plunge into the abyss. But it's not that i'm not rooting for him. The problem with rebuilds is that too often coaches and GM's don't go the full monty. To do it right, you have to literally rip the whole thing to shreds. Keep the guys who are there and want to be there, hopefully they've got some talent - and then recalibrate.

With what's out there and this group's ability to recruit - I think they can duct tape/patch work a decent season together next year. Hopefully they can get a recruiting class a little closer to home and there you go. But the deeper you're willing to strip your roster down, the faster you can get things turned around. So i'm fine with what he's doing.
Hopefully the NCAA allows our petition to play half-court, 3-on-3 only.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Do you really think Enoch/Durham/VJ would make the team that much better? They can bring in players who will perform at a higher level then them.

Yeah? Take a look at the Top 100 recruit list for this fall.

Let me know how many guys aren't committed at this point.*

*Keep in mind the one of the highest available just decommited from UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There's a decent pool of Grad Transfers, recent recommits, and Jucos. Let's see what happens.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score

Grad transfers. Even so, I personally believe Josh Carlton would have played more over Durham regardless.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We need eligible bodies for next season. We can't field a team with what we have now and potential transfers that have to sit a year.

Reaction Score
Alright, let me shed some light that will hopefully calm everyone down. As @fleudslipcon said, I've known this was coming for over a week, but because of speculation rules I couldn't say anything on the board. Here's some info from the same source that told me Juwan was leaving that I hope will calm everyone down.

1) There is no team chemistry/hate KO mentality in the locker room
2) Both Vance and Juwan leaving were PRIMARILY because of being homesick. I know that a lot of us don't want to believe that because of what VJ Sr was tweeting.
3) Admittedly, there was some griping by the players that left over playing time (more so by Enoch and some by Vance I would assume), but it was mostly playing time. I know I know I know - "but there was going to be so much time open." That's true, but between a perceived lack of 'proper use' and missing home, 2 of these guys wanted to head back closer to home for that 'home cooked meal.'
4) MAL leaving was primarily because of Miller being let go - not because he was nervous about stepping foot onto a sinking ship
5) This is it. There isn't anyone else leaving. If I end up being wrong on this, I'll take whatever heat you guys can throw at me.
6) Morale is VERY high with the players that are left

This isn't a great look for the UConn Men's BB program right now, but it's not nearly is chaotic up in Storrs as many seem to think it is. Ollie has not lost control of this team.

The nice thing about the "homesick" theory is that it will be either proven or debunked in short order when these guys announce where they're going.

Enoch still has zero excuse. I wonder if he's one of these guys who was told he had to work harder (e.g. on defense) and just didn't want to put in the effort.

MAL leaving because of a milquetoast, middle-aged assistant coach is some of the weakest sauce I've seen in recruiting.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How could morale be high amongst remaining players lol? If I saw half of my teammates take off I'd be a little worried.
Most likely because you aren't involved, don't know whats going on and why, so you don't get it

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I'd like eligible AND able players, not just bodies.

Again, who do you think we are going to bring in? And how do YOU know who is able? I'm more inclined to trust a staff who dedicates their time to reviewing possible players than some websites with rankings.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
We aren't linked with them yet so it is only theoretical at this point.

If we can't fill that, then sure, we have an issue. We also have a bunch of time to fill that hole. It's April.

Reaction Score
With five open scholies at this point we're in the tricky spot of reaching for 3-star guys who may not stick around very long (you know all the names from over the years - Garrison, Trice, Lubin, Bradley, etc), leaving scholies open for next year or going the grad transfer route. I think realistically we'd get two grad transfers like we had with Miller & Gibbs, two HS recruits (Diarra and Harris?) and probably pocket the last scholarship. What are the odds of finding three UConn-level HS recruits this late in the game? We want to stop this transfer-madness, I don't think we want to reach on kids who'll probably want out this time next year. At the same time, you know, we need players.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
First chance I get to check in, and this is what I find? Another transfer, and another 13 page thread to wade through? I protest!!

I may have more once I actually absorb the thread, and I may not. The thing is, you've got to go to battle with the soldiers you have, not the ones you don't. Let's see what the next 2-4 weeks brings. As the Sandro thread shows, there are some players out there who should be able to help. Let's get 'em in!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think you just confirmed what he's saying and contradicted yourself somewhat. It's a choice whether or not to make the effort to play defense. Not sure how you can "teach" that except by reinforcing that there are consequences for lack of effort, which I think KO tried to do, but was limited by the short bench.

The longer I am a parent, the more I am convinced that you can't teach "effort." It is something that gets learned--or not--when someone sees the results of effort reinforced. And learning it doesn't always mean that someone starts giving better effort immediately. Sometimes, especially with kids, they drop out for a while because they don't want to try that hard.
Glad you elaborated. But there are additional factors besides motivation. You need lateral quickness if you are a guard. If you are a big you need to have an innate ability to read how a ball bounces for rebounding. Not everyone has the same muscles to get off the ground higher or quicker. Peripheral vision is important in the game and some people have better peripheral vision than others. And so on. Not every player is gifted equally with the types of senses, physical attributes and mental skills to integrate what is taught.

Amida was instinctually a great blocker. He never could integrate when to block and when to rebound or when to slip from his player and when to stay on him. He had to think it through and most of the time he was either a bit slow or totally out of position. He was a savant blocker and it could be argued that this gift interfered with his ability to have a balanced game.

Defense is part motivation, part inherent attributes and part experience. And experience has subsets such as at what age a player is taught, who coached them and what and how things were taught. If kids learn bad habits early that can easily be as big a problem as taking an older person and trying to get them to play instinctively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom