Duke nabs Lynee Belton; now #1 class? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke nabs Lynee Belton; now #1 class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huskyfan23

So now, sitting on the bench is no longer a consideration but the AAC is?

Wow! I guess you see what you want to see.
What are you talking about? Anyone who can take the basic context out of a sentence can see that IMHO both playing time{sitting on the bench} and conference{AAC} both are a consideration for recruits.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Really? Can you point to one case ANYWHERE, where that, the conference was a factor?

Inquiring minds like to know. You are obviously privy to information that should be shared.
I believed you had misinterpreted huskyfan23's argument, so I clarified it as best I could. I actually never gave my opinion, nor did I imply I had inside information.

But now that you ask, it has already been discussed here on the Sierra Calhoun thread, that Kelly Kline of Full Court wrote "There was much speculation she would pick Connecticut where her brother Omar is a sophomore on the men's basketball team. However, Calhoun was swayed by the strength of the ACC and the vision of McCallie. "I believe in her and her vision for me," said Calhoun. "The program is knocking on the door of greatness." (LINK) Did Sierra actually assert that conference affiliation was an important determinant in selecting a college, or was that more Kline's interpretation of the situation after interviewing her (or simply reading her press release)?

Reaction Score
Uconn is Uconn no matter what conference they are in. The only ACC school that even comes close to playing any defense might be Maryland. Duke and North Carolina both have recently landed a lot of talent and we were expecting some of that talent to end up in Storrs. Now lets see what happens with that talent.
North Carolina-1994 national champs
Duke-0

So far I am not impressed and I hope Geno schedules North Carolina again, so we can mop them up like we usually do. We need Aja!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I believed you had misinterpreted huskyfan23's argument, so I clarified it as best I could. I actually never gave my opinion, nor did I imply I had inside information.

But now that you ask, it has already been discussed here on the Sierra Calhoun thread, that Kelly Kline of Full Court wrote "There was much speculation she would pick Connecticut where her brother Omar is a sophomore on the men's basketball team. However, Calhoun was swayed by the strength of the ACC and the vision of McCallie. "I believe in her and her vision for me," said Calhoun. "The program is knocking on the door of greatness." (LINK) Did Sierra actually assert that conference affiliation was an important determinant in selecting a college, or was that more Kline's interpretation of the situation after interviewing her (or simply reading her press release)?

As if often the case, there is more to Calhoun's decision than has been or will be written by recruiting publications. I don't think conference affiliation was that important a factor; it's more of an additional reason mentioned after the fact when really other factors were more important. To quote Bush 41, it was more "that vision (for me) thing."

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Uconn is Uconn no matter what conference they are in. The only ACC school that even comes close to playing any defense might be Maryland. Duke and North Carolina both have recently landed a lot of talent and we were expecting some of that talent to end up in Storrs. Now lets see what happens with that talent.
North Carolina-1994 national champs
Duke-0

So far I am not impressed and I hope Geno schedules North Carolina again, so we can mop them up like we usually do. We need Aja!
Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but Notre Dame is now in the ACC and they play pretty good defense.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
As if often the case, there is more to Calhoun's decision than has been or will be written by recruiting publications. I don't think conference affiliation was that important a factor; it's more of an additional reason mentioned after the fact when really other factors were more important. To quote Bush 41, it was more "that vision (for me) thing."
I look forward to hearing the real reasons for her choice, soon then, unless you would like to offer us a less cryptic teaser. Are you implying that McCallie is painting a more appealing scenario to recruits than Geno or Muffet? Becca Greenwell had narrowed her schools to Duke and ND last fall and eventually selected Duke, citing a better chance to win NC's. So maybe McCallie is a very good salesperson, as I'm not sure that Duke's odds of a NC are that much better than ND's (especially if Greenwell had chosen the Irish).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I look forward to hearing the real reasons for her choice, soon then, unless you would like to offer us a less cryptic teaser. Are you implying that McCallie is painting a more appealing scenario to recruits than Geno or Muffet? Becca Greenwell had narrowed her schools to Duke and ND last fall and eventually selected Duke, citing a better chance to win NC's. So maybe McCallie is a very good salesperson, as I'm not sure that Duke's odds of a NC are that much better than ND's (especially if Greenwell had chosen the Irish).

I have no idea why Calhoun or Greenwell chose Duke over ND. Maybe they preferred McCallie's personality. Calhoun said she really bonded with her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Won't discuss the "crypticness" of Cat's post, but I agree with her, and it's doubtful we ever hear all the reasons. Same with Deshields. Suffice to say that none of the heavy hitters for UCONN (Geno or CD) went to any of Sierra's games recently while both Joanna and Muffet did.

As for the odds of winning a NC... ND certainly has gotten some great talent - Diggins, Loyd, Turner, but they've not really had the plethora of top talent that Duke has had. I'm not necessarily sure that one school or the other has a "better" chance of a NC going forward - this year is Duke's best chance IMHO in a while, and they are the clear #2 team in the nation entering the season.

It seems to me that Duke has done less with more talent that ND. To me that means either Muffet is a better evaluator of potential, a better developer of talent, or a combo of both. Joanne is a better recruiter, or Duke a better destination in the eyes of recruits, or both. I know some Duke fans weren't keen on the hiring of McCallie, and after she lost her 2 top assistants in Stafford Odom and Williams, but her recruiting has continued to be top notch...

Reaction Score

I think you are quoting Kelly Kline's interpretation of what SC said, not what SC ACTUALLY said. I believe that Kelly Kline may believe that what conference a team is in is important. Actually, so do I, in some sports. If I were a star football player, I would absolutely want to be in the SEC. No place else would do. If I were a star basketball player, UConn is the school. Conference is unimportant. We play the best teams in every conference around the country.

And as for Duke" knocking at the door of greatness," the door they are knocking at belongs to UConn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If I were a star basketball player, UConn is the school. Conference is unimportant. We play the best teams in every conference around the country.

And as for Duke" knocking at the door of greatness," the door they are knocking at belongs to UConn.

But you're (I assume) not a 16-17 year old recruit. And even if you were, you're not this particular one.

I do like that statement though. Well played.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that for both Duke and Stanford, the school itself is a powerful recruiting magnet, independently of who is coaching there. If a recruit has a chance to attend either college, and if she cares at all about academics or prestige outside the world of basketball (not to mention a beautiful campus), then she is going to be very tempted to say yes. It helps that both schools are regularly in the Elite 8 so they have an adequate if not overwhelming level of basketball credibility as well.

When UConn goes up against either school in a recruiting battle, it will win only if: (a) the recruit does not qualify academically for Duke or Stanford (in which case the recruiting battle would never begin); or (b) the recruit is totally focused on a basketball career and is not particularly concerned about academics or the prestige of the degree; or (c) the recruit has a particular chemistry with Geno and the other UConn coaches and does not have the same rapport with the Duke or Stanford coaches; or (d) she favors UConn for reasons of playing time or family proximity.

Notre Dame has many of these same advantages (and a special appeal to students from Catholic backgrounds), although not nearly to the same degree -- but it has better basketball credentials for the reasons that other posters have cited.

What should surprise us is the number of excellent basketball players that Geno has been able to recruit who clearly had the academic qualifications to go to these schools but did not: Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird, Mel Thomas, Kelly Faris, Courtney Ekmark -- and Brittany Hunter after a costly one-year delay. But for such candidates, the odds are always going to favor the more academically prestigious schools.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's my fault she chose Duke....lol.

Whatever makes you all feel better.
Hey, it wasn't the rest of us who thumbed our nose in the face of mojo. a coincidence, I think not.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Won't discuss the "crypticness" of Cat's post, but I agree with her, and it's doubtful we ever hear all the reasons. Same with Deshields. Suffice to say that none of the heavy hitters for UCONN (Geno or CD) went to any of Sierra's games recently while both Joanna and Muffet did.

Non-verbal communication.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I do not consider Greenwell, and Calhoun guards, they are wings. Counting a walk-on is a stretch. I doubt you want Greenwell, and Calhoun bringing the ball up against pressure defense.

Also, Henson is not a 2014 Senior, she red-shirted. It may be moot, unless she gets healthy.

Recent report that Ohio's Makayla Waterman will visit Duke (and others) in the fall. I think she's another 6-2/3 forward. What does McCallie say to her?

Reaction Score

Now we understand McCallie's strategy against UConn after this year - surround Stewart with 7 freshmen.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Duke makes special consideration for their athletes in comparison with the General Student population. An athlete that qualifies for UConn will probably qualify to get into Duke. That's how their mens team are able to get the high number of McDonald's All Americans. Now ND and Stanford are different in that some athletes that qualify for UConn may not qualify for ND and Stanford.

Reaction Score
Recent report that Ohio's Makayla Waterman will visit Duke (and others) in the fall. I think she's another 6-2/3 forward. What does McCallie say to her?

McCallie withdraws the offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak