Duke nabs Lynee Belton; now #1 class? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Duke nabs Lynee Belton; now #1 class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree that Uconn will still be the top dog in college basketball for the next couple of years so as long as Stewart is in uniform. Going forward, if they don't land any quality bigs they will have problems. Uconn also needs to land Asia Durr. Word is she may stay south.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm likin' Wilson and Westbeld.
I think (think) I would have preferred Wilson and Belton, but Wilson and Westbeld will be fine.

Wish we were still in for Drummer. She hasn't committed anywhere yet.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Uconn has so far #7, #8 and #39. I am not ready to concede the top class to Duke, based on 11, 15, 25, and 77. That dog doesn't hunt.
Those are composite Duke numbers. UCONN composite numbers are #8, #13 and#16. (not sure about that dog)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree that Uconn will still be the top dog in college basketball for the next couple of years so as long as Stewart is in uniform. Going forward, if they don't land any quality bigs they will have problems.
I agree. UCONN is good to go for the next couple of years, but we'll need some players (bigs) in the 2014 or 2015 class.

Uconn also needs to land Asia Durr. Word is she may stay south.
Don't know if we "need" her, but would be fantastic to get her. She is gonna be the next "1 to see".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Lot of kids seem to want to stay south in your opinion, Hoopsking, but name the last team out of the southeast to win it all. Duke is putting the talent together and so is UNC but neither has any proof in their pudding. Tennessee, Texas schools aren't southeast.

Maryland which is leaving the ACC for the B1G had a fluke and before that it was 94 and UNC.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im sure Geno and the coaches will present to the new recruits the OOC schedule. Yes the conference is weak. The OOC is very strong. Stronger then any ACC or other conference schedule. So the selling point is do you want to play the top 10 teams on TV or play in a conference that has 2-3 good teams? UConn has it all and will competeing for NCs for the new 3 years. No other team can say that because they haven't done it yet. On paper they may look great but the only 2 teams have shown they can consistently do it. Stanford and UConn. So lets see what happens over the next couple of years. Yes UConn needs Wilson and some bigs. Right now the future looks great with Stef 1 yr Kiah 2 years, Tuck and Stewart 3 years. We will get our players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tony, I am not sure that is what is ringing in the ears of recruits right now when they look at the AAC.

I will say that the staff's focus on the Olympics a year ago may have impacted recruiting in Saniya's class.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Duke gettin' it done. I have Duke at # 2 in the nation this upcoming season. Looks like they will be number 2 for the next few years also.;)
With 8 power forward/center types and 3 guards? Who will handle the ball? Who will shoot from the perimeter? ND will kill that team.

Reaction Score
With 8 power forward/center types and 3 guards? Who will handle the ball? Who will shoot from the perimeter? ND will kill that team.

Well....don't know but that wasn't my point anyway (although I do think Duke is #2). It's that Duke, even with the pickups, will win the # 2 slot behind UConn who will still be # 1....hence the ;).

btw....I have ND at number 3. I know one thing.....If ND plays at Duke I'm gonna do my best to be there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
True...I forgot about ND......but that wasn't my point anyway (although I do think Duke is #2). It's that Duke, even with the pickups, will win the # 2 slot behind UConn who will still be # 1....hence the ;).
I understand what you're saying. The players are all highly regarded and, on paper, Duke should be loaded. I would just be concerned that the lack of depth at the guard position will leave Duke vulnerable on the perimeter. The Blue Devils will be fine againt most teams but against a team like ND, with its wonderful guards, makes me wonder how easily Duke will score if the guards are having trouble getting the ball into its post players. Even a great player can't score if she doesn't have the ball in her hands. And Duke had offensive woes even with a complete roster of talented guards.

Reaction Score
Adrianna Hahn, (2015) 5'7" PG from Ursuline Academy in DE (ring a bell?) was the best player on Belton's AAU Team (Team Takeover); although always recruited is now getting high level offers from ACC and interest from Stanford and other BCS..Coach is EDD's trainer..(John Noonan)..top 25 player..lot's of PGs but not many with the same IQ and 3 ball range

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would just be concerned that the lack of depth at the guard position will leave Duke vulnerable on the perimeter. The Blue Devils will be fine againt most teams but against a team like ND, with its wonderful guards, makes me wonder how easily Duke will score if the guards are having trouble getting the ball into its post players.
Well Duke's perimeter depth could be a problem (just like UCONN's front court depth could be a problem in a couple years), but with Gray and Jones they are going to have one of the best starting backcourts in the country.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
JPM is working her butt off knowing she needs to match up with Coach DeShields team at UNC.

I like that formulation, has a nice ring to it: Coach DeShields.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Duke has a huge roster. A full 15. There will be lots of players riding the pine.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Gray, Jones, Wells, Holland (freshman), Liston and Greenwell (expected back sometime this year) are listed as guards.

Jackson, Peters and Johnson are listed as G/F.

That's 9 players leaving only 6 power forward/center types.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Gray, Jones, Wells, Holland (freshman), Liston and Greenwell (expected back sometime this year) are listed as guards.

Jackson, Peters and Johnson are listed as G/F.

That's 9 players leaving only 6 power forward/center types.
Duke should be OK this year, but next year the closest thing to a guard that they're bringing in is Sierra Calhoun, who is really a wing. And they lose Gray, Jackson and Wells. That leaves them dangerously thin at guard (Jones, Johnson and Holland), unless Greenwell and Calhoun, 2 purported wings, play at the 2. They also will have a senior walk-on guard. Seems like Sierra Calhoun will be playing guard, as coach P suggested.

Here are their F/P next season (2014-5):

Williams
Henson
Heckman
Chidom
Cooper
Mathias
Belton
Stephens

Wings/Guards for 2014-5

Greenwell (W)
Calhoun (W)
Johnson (G/F)
Jones (G)
Holland (G)
Frush (G, walk-on)

Reaction Score
Lets look at this class in 3 or 4 years.......How many years did PHS have the #1 and count not get out of their own way.....I still like UCONN...........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke should be OK this year, but next year the closest thing to a guard that they're bringing in is Sierra Calhoun, who is really a wing. And they lose Gray, Jackson and Wells. That leaves them dangerously thin at guard (Jones, Johnson and Holland), unless Greenwell and Calhoun, 2 purported wings, play at the 2. They also will have a senior walk-on guard. Seems like Sierra Calhoun will be playing guard, as coach P suggested.

I've always seen Greenwell listed as a SG...... and Calhoun as a Swing(wo)man..... in my book... those are guards.... I would have liked for Duke to sign a combo-guard for 2014..... ... maybe there is still time..

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Here are their F/P next season (2014-5):

Williams
Henson
Heckman
Chidom
Cooper
Mathias
Belton
Stephens

Wings/Guards for 2014-5

Greenwell (W)
Calhoun (W)
Johnson (G/F)
Jones (G)
Holland (G)
Frush (G, walk-on)

Yeah, if Nan meant 2014, I apoligize. I was thinking this season.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I've always seen Greenwell listed as a SG...... and Calhoun as a Swing(wo)man..... in my book... those are guards.... I would have liked for Duke to sign a combo-guard for 2014..... ... maybe there is still time..
You're right triad. I read somewhere where Greenwell was a W, but after your post, I checked multiple sites and saw G's almost everywhere. So you're right, she is classified as a SG, not a W. Calhoun is listed as a W (according to Prospects Nation and Hoopsgurlz), a natural SF who's listed as a guard (Fullcourt), a G/F on Blue Star, and a SG on All Star Girls Report. So she is her position is less clear than Greenwell's, but it seems safe classifying her a SG.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In a variety of offenses 2s and 3s can be refered to as wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom