Duke nabs Lynee Belton; now #1 class? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke nabs Lynee Belton; now #1 class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ekmark was before the conference change. Williams and Edwards were after.

May 30, 2012 - Ekmark commits.
March 8, 2013 - Catholic Seven split from Big East and take name.
March 20, 2013 - Edwards commits.
March 30, 2013 - Williams commits.
April 3, AAC name made public.

I'm sure they were paying attention to all the conference changes in the months leading up to their commitments.
As I said, "came to fruition". And I agree they probably were not paying attention to the all the conference stuff (they are 16-17 years old). Which just helps validate my point.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As I said, "came to fruition". And I agree they probably were not paying attention to the all the conference stuff (they are 16-17 years old). Which just helps validate my point.

Really? You don't think that the coaching staff at Uconn was reassuring the players that this will all work out?

Of course they knew. Their parents knew. Their HS coaches knew. Their AAU coaches knew.

Reaction Score
I didn't get the same count as you:

2014 seniors: GUARDS: Johnson, Frush POSTS/FORWARDS: Williams, Henson
2014 juniors: GUARDS: Jones POSTS/FORWARDS: Heckman (Note that W Sierra Moore transferred)
2014 sophomores: GUARDS: Greenwell (2-3), Holland (1) POSTS/FORWARDS: Cooper, Chidom
2014 freshman: GUARDS: Calhoun (2-3) POSTS/FORWARDS: Belton, Stevens, Mathias

So for the 2014-2015 season, I get 6 guards (1-3) and 8 F/P (4-5). Were you counting the wings as neither guards nor posts/forwards? And did you not count Jenna Frush?

Still, your point is a good one, as Duke has 6 players for 3 spots and 8 players for only 2 spots. Maybe coach P will have some big line-ups!

I do not consider Greenwell, and Calhoun guards, they are wings. Counting a walk-on is a stretch. I doubt you want Greenwell, and Calhoun bringing the ball up against pressure defense.

Also, Henson is not a 2014 Senior, she red-shirted. It may be moot, unless she gets healthy.

Reaction Score
Conference affiliation is a minor part of the decision making process. If you think it's a big enough reason to actually steer a recruit away from Uconn, you need to seriously reevaluate your thinking.

Read some of the media releases players have the typically go like this: It felt like family, want to play in X conference, I like their style of play, wanted a chance to play for a national championship or wanted a chance to build something special. Maybe it's a minor reason but it's listed as a reason.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ekmark was before the conference change. Williams and Edwards were after.

May 30, 2012 - Ekmark commits.
March 8, 2013 - Catholic Seven split from Big East and take name.
March 20, 2013 - Edwards commits.
March 30, 2013 - Williams commits.
April 3, AAC name made public.

I'm sure they were paying attention to all the conference changes in the months leading up to their commitments.
Thanks for taking the time to provide this info, DD. I for one appreciate your effort.

My two cents is this, as much as I love UConn basketball, from an objective and competitive standpoint, I dislike seeing ALL the top recruits going to one team. The fact that we are even considering going undefeated just highlights the lack of competitiveness. So, personally, I don't begrudge any top recruit choosing to go elsewhere, more power to them. Hopefully, Duke and N.C. will still be willing to play UConn during the regular season, and they will be exciting games.

Too many UConn fans appear to be anti-competition. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn -hard work, sweat, determination, in your face basketball, top coaching, results = 8 NC
Duke - Great line ups on paper, Great planning and anticipation by the coaches and fans, snide tweets = Paper Tigers

note: due to the nature of paper books diminishing in our electronics crazy world, an alternate name of Kindle Tigers is also acceptable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really? You don't think that the coaching staff at Uconn was reassuring the players that this will all work out?

Of course they knew. Their parents knew. Their HS coaches knew. Their AAU coaches knew.
Oh you were serious??? Wow, I thought you were being sarcastic. Umm, no I don't think those 3 thought too much about it. Calhoun and Belton? After the dust has settled, maybe some??

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Too many UConn fans appear to be anti-competition. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
I don't so much mind the competition, I just like to crush it. :D

Calhoun, IMO won't hurt us as much seeing as we have Ekmark, whom I think can/will play that 3 spot when KML leaves. She's a good shooter too. And with Jefferson, Chong, Williams, Edwards and Ekmark we can play a 3 guard offense.

But Belton hurts in that we still don't have any height in the 2013/2014 (hs) recruiting classes. We're looking at Stewart, Stokes and Tuck as the only 3 over 6-0.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't so much mind the competition, I just like to crush it. :D

Calhoun, IMO won't hurt us as much seeing as we have Ekmark, whom I think can/will play that 3 spot when KML leaves. She's a good shooter too. And with Jefferson, Chong, Williams, Edwards and Ekmark we can play a 3 guard offense.

But Belton hurts in that we still don't have any height in the 2013/2014 (hs) recruiting classes. We're looking at Stewart, Stokes and Tuck as the only 3 over 6-0.
A valid concern...

Reaction Score
All I care about is Wilson. She is big & strong and can play inside and out! Actually losing these two recruits to Duke may help Wilson actually decide there is room for her at UConn. Fingers still crossed.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Mojo blowing up all over the place.

It is all doggy's fault for messing w/ mojo forces....I repost this response to appease the mojo world...I'm prepared to go to human sacrifice if necessary....(not really) maybe a chicken...(not really)

"Mojo scares the heck out of me..... In order to balance out the mojo universe I predict the following. UConn will go winless, lose every game. KML and Stewie will not compete for POY. Geno will forget how to coach. CD will get thrown out of 7 games. No injured players will heal. Chong will make no impact. Nobody will visit the president next year. Boneyard posters will all stop loving this team and Wilson won't spend the next four winters in Storrs.... balance restored, I am off to see my gypsy voodoo lady to get my palm read and participate in a ritual cleansing..." :cool::rolleyes:

HGN

Reaction Score
Wow, I never thought that the move to the AAC would have effected UConn's program even a little bit. With all the positives going for it like national recognition, yearly tough out of conf. schedule, winning tradition, having all games televised, new basketball center/HOF, etc. I thought that UConn would be immune from the effects of playing in the AAC. However after watching recruit after recruit after recruit making decisions to pass on UConn makes me wonder if the being in the AAC is ALOT BIGGER factor than I first thought.
HuskyFan , I been thinking the same thing. I never thought playing in the AAC would have any effect. Not sure that it has yet. But it just might. Duke seems to be benefitting early.

But no matter which Conference UConn is in , this team will RISE to the top.

Reaction Score
It is all but certain there will be roster attrition at Duke over the next few years. Happens a lot of places anyway.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is all doggy's fault for messing w/ mojo forces....I repost this response to appease the mojo world...I'm prepared to go to human sacrifice if necessary....(not really) maybe a chicken...(not really)

"Mojo scares the heck out of me..... In order to balance out the mojo universe I predict the following. UConn will go winless, lose every game. KML and Stewie will not compete for POY. Geno will forget how to coach. CD will get thrown out of 7 games. No injured players will heal. Chong will make no impact. Nobody will visit the president next year. Boneyard posters will all stop loving this team and Wilson won't spend the next four winters in Storrs.... balance restored, I am off to see my gypsy voodoo lady to get my palm read and participate in a ritual cleansing..." :cool::rolleyes:

Worst of all, David, doggydaddy scoffed at mojo last week. :oops: That's like whistling past the graveyard.

Reaction Score
No they didn't want to sit on the bench for 3 years behind the #1, #2, and #5 players in the country in the previous recruiting class. If you don't think that playing in the AAC is "remotely" one of the reasons not to come to UConn then you need to seriously reevaluate your thinking.

So now, sitting on the bench is no longer a consideration but the AAC is?

Wow! I guess you see what you want to see.

Reaction Score
Conference affiliation is a minor part of the decision making process. If you think it's a big enough reason to actually steer a recruit away from Uconn, you need to seriously reevaluate your thinking.

Well said, Doggy!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All I care about is Wilson. She is big & strong and can play inside and out! Actually losing these two recruits to Duke may help Wilson actually decide there is room for her at UConn. Fingers still crossed.
Ah looking on the bright side. :cool:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
So now, sitting on the bench is no longer a consideration but the AAC is?

Wow! I guess you see what you want to see.
I don't believe that is what Huskyfan23 meant. I read the comment to mean that both sitting behind Stewart, Tuck, and MoJeff AND being in the AAC has hurt recruiting. In fact, I think the implication is that playing behind good players is MORE of a disincentive than playing in the AAC, but if one were to believe that the AAC is not a factor at all, then that person is incorrect (i.e., UConn's conference affiliation is not a remote cause, but rather a proximate cause (but not the most important factor)).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't believe that is what Huskyfan23 meant. I read the comment to mean that both sitting behind Stewart, Tuck, and MoJeff AND being in the AAC has hurt recruiting. In fact, I think the implication is that playing behind good players is MORE of a disincentive than playing in the AAC, but if one were to believe that the AAC is not a factor at all, then that person is incorrect (i.e., UConn's conference affiliation is not a remote cause, but rather a proximate cause (but not the most important factor).

I don't believe I have seen anyone say its no factor, just not the reason any recruit would not choose Uconn.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Coaching, playing time, chance of winning a championship, education, location, post college opportunities....conference????

Reaction Score
I don't believe that is what Huskyfan23 meant. I read the comment to mean that both sitting behind Stewart, Tuck, and MoJeff AND being in the AAC has hurt recruiting. In fact, I think the implication is that playing behind good players is MORE of a disincentive than playing in the AAC, but if one were to believe that the AAC is not a factor at all, then that person is incorrect (i.e., UConn's conference affiliation is not a remote cause, but rather a proximate cause (but not the most important factor).

Really? Can you point to one case ANYWHERE, where that, the conference was a factor?

Inquiring minds like to know. You are obviously privy to information that should be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom