Duke in freefall | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke in freefall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At a million a year, her buyout is very expensive. I think Duke is waiting a few years to reduce the $ liability.
They may try the relationship clause in her contract, but it may result in litigation. Feel sorry for the players.

Duke should offer JPM 70% of her contract to resign, or else ???? - Duke can afford $2.1 million dollars

A new coach can get the program back on track quickly .

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Many people were glad to see GG leave, saying she was someone who could not take Duke to the next level (deer in the headlights in big games, etc.)

Duke fans were NOT happy to see Gail leave.

The deer in headlights is simply not true (and is based on the 2003 UConn game). Gail went 2-2 against Geno, wining her two games in the State of Connecticut. She went 5-4 against Summitt, including 3-0 against the Hornbuckle/Anosik/Parker/Fuller recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Duke should hire a young, dynamic coach who has been successful and could build their program. A perfect fit would be Jen Rizzotti if she was willing to move from Hartford. Shea Ralph at UConn and Niele Ivey at Notre Dame are assistant coaches who are ready to run a top program. Personally, I would pick Shea Ralph who has 10 years of experience and is driven to be successful and knows the North Carolina area. Her teams are going to search for perfection much as they do at UConn.

I don't see Jen Rizzotti leaving Hartford - I think she could be successful, but it appears to me that she's made the choice to stay at the level she's at and not take on the larger burdens at a higher pressure situation. I would look at some of the really talented young coaches out there (e.g. Raegan Pebley, Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, etc.).

Reaction Score
The thing I don't get is that the AD and administration was not pleased Gail did not win the NC (she'd still be there if they'd beaten Maryland in the NC game), and pretty much treated her like crap till she left (or did they ask her to resign). Point is, she did more with less than Joanne McCallie. And WTF is the reason behind her being called "Joanne P McCallie"? and she goes by the initials of JPM... ugh...
Some interesting parallels with Thibault getting sacked from the Sun.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
GG coached out her contract as I remember and was offered a lot of money to coach at TX. As I recall Duke was given a chance to match by GG and they didn't.

Was never a big fan of hers, but compared to JPM and her '#14 really lit us up' press conferences and the 'bus' issue, she was a great coach.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
I think she was told her scholarship would be honored, but she was told she would never play. Thus she de-committed and wound up at Vanderbilt and then UC Santa Barbara. More on the Duke drama here: LINK.

Thanks. Just looked her up to see how she was faring at UCSB. Whoa. What the heck has happened at that school under Mitchell? One win all season? Wow.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thanks. Just looked her up to see how she was faring at UCSB. Whoa. What the heck has happened at that school under Mitchell? One win all season? Wow.
Are you kidding? I'm amazed that in a Santa Barbara paradise they can even get kids into the gym to practice. "Um, coach can we cut this practice short? There's some nice waves out there and were partying on the beach tonight."

But yeah, saw the stats on Watkins and #341 of 349 UCSB, and it's a far cry from the team that gave UConn such a scare in the 2004 Sweet 16.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Are you kidding? I'm amazed that in a Santa Barbara paradise they can even get kids into the gym to practice. "Um, coach can we cut this practice short? There's some nice waves out there and were partying on the beach tonight."

But yeah, saw the stats on Watkins and #341 of 349 UCSB, and it's a far cry from the team that gave UConn such a scare in the 2004 Sweet 16.
We saw them play at AZ during OOC and, yikes. Spoke briefly to Carlene who commented regarding the game we had watched that they just "couldn't shoot". That appears to have plagued them a lot. Speculation at one point on the RU board centered around possible difficulties recruiting talent that could execute schemes. No real idea. Strong speculation that a coaching change is imminent.

Tomorrow is Senior Day here at AZ. While I like her and wish her well, I can only hope we are saying farewell to Coach Butts, who has been very unsuccessful. Beating Stanford this year and ASU once last year (when it was our only PAC win) does not make up the disappointing seasons.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
The atmosphere on the Duke board has been steered by MoFANclub who also is a
Moderator and has had a 6 year relentless attack on coach P. It is very difficult to
have a basketball post that doesn't turn in to a bitching session. The following is
how another Moderator on the DBR views her conduct which has caused a lot
of posters to leave after 6 years of negativity.

I totally disagree with you. When you want and absolutely lust for finding an issue with something or someone, you are darn sure going to find it. There is nothing Coach P can do as a coach during a game, or say in a presser after a game, that is going to satisfy you. That's the reality and I am sorry if you can't see that. I have no emotional tie here and I am neither "all for" or "all against" Coach P, so its a bit easier for me to be objective. There were some in this thread that were anticipating bad commentary in the presser an hour before it even happened. It is not humanly possible to have that mindset and then objectively view the presser.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If Duke loses today at home, to UNC, is there still a bus to be thrown under? It's a home game and I dont think you need a bus. Can the coach throw the players under the UNC bus?

Reaction Score
Nice punch to the face of a UNC player by the Duke player today.:(

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
The atmosphere on the Duke board has been steered by MoFANclub who also is a
Moderator and has had a 6 year relentless attack on coach P. It is very difficult to
have a basketball post that doesn't turn in to a bitching session. The following is
how another Moderator on the DBR views her conduct which has caused a lot
of posters to leave after 6 years of negativity.

I totally disagree with you. When you want and absolutely lust for finding an issue with something or someone, you are darn sure going to find it. There is nothing Coach P can do as a coach during a game, or say in a presser after a game, that is going to satisfy you. That's the reality and I am sorry if you can't see that. I have no emotional tie here and I am neither "all for" or "all against" Coach P, so its a bit easier for me to be objective. There were some in this thread that were anticipating bad commentary in the presser an hour before it even happened. It is not humanly possible to have that mindset and then objectively view the presser.

As expected MoFANclub did not have any congratulations for the team after the win

and is on Rebkell's & DBR under other names. This makes her other teams best friend

in recruiting .

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Attention: wes33

First, your post about what MoFan said after the game is not accurate.

Second, your comment about MoFan as a moderator on The Devil's Den is not appropriate for the Boneyard.

Third, if you want to go there, I can share you (and your four different screen names) were banned from The Devil's Den for your repeated violations of the Terms of Service.

Fourth, your attacks on MoFan (on this board and others) and the statements you make about her are about as predictable as a Coach P press conference where numbers are used to identify players.

Reaction Score
If I'm Duke im giving Coach P one more year. Im one of the most non bias people on this site I just appreciate basketball so please bare with me... depending on matchups and seeding don't be surprised to see Duke in the final four... oh my

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If I'm Duke im giving Coach P one more year. Im one of the most non bias people on this site I just appreciate basketball so please bare with me... depending on matchups and seeding don't be surprised to see Duke in the final four... oh my
Yeah...Duke's not going to the Final Four. Sorry.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wish Duke well but I don't see them advancing very far without significant better guard play. Regardless of the bracket you put them in Duke would likely have to beat a 1 & 2 seed to make the final 4. Best shot for Duke would be a bracket with SC#1 and FSU#2. If the current brackets hold up first game away from Durham would be against Baylor... then ND to get to Final 4. In the current bracket even the second game vs. The Ohio State University is not a gimme. A poor showing in ACC tournament might cost Duke the first two games being at home, so then you are essentially playing a higher seeded team on thier home court. Not a very bright outlook.

Reaction Score
I wish Duke well but I don't see them advancing very far without significant better guard play. Regardless of the bracket you put them in Duke would likely have to beat a 1 & 2 seed to make the final 4. Best shot for Duke would be a bracket with SC#1 and FSU#2. If the current brackets hold up first game away from Durham would be against Baylor... then ND to get to Final 4. In the current bracket even the second game vs. The Ohio State University is not a gimme. A poor showing in ACC tournament might cost Duke the first two games being at home, so then you are essentially playing a higher seeded team on thier home court. Not a very bright outlook.
If that is indeed the case than you're right it's not a very bright outlook, but I expect us getting to the semifinals of the acc tournament against Notre Dame before we enter the NCAA tournament. I think this is the year we're not going to be included in Uconn bracket (thank god) so anything can happen. Also, I believe that our best shots is landing with Tenn, Maryland, Fsu, South Carolina, Baylor. Is Duke a final four team at this point of the season? No. Can it happen? Possibly. IF we can avoid Notre Dame/Uconn there will be some interesting games. Side note: Duke is literally 8-10 minutes of COACHING away from beating Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
You might want to rethink this - heh heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#