Duke in freefall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke in freefall

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The biased commentators said this may just be mcallies best coaching job under these circumstances! That got quite a chuckle in my house but goes to show the blue colored glasses are in full effect.
What circumstances were they referring to? The fact that their star PG disliked Duke so much she chose to transfer out? The exodus of players over the past 5 years? The inability to coach anything but a zone defense for the entire game?

I feel badly for our Duke friends. I really do root for them.

Reaction Score
From JPM post-game interview:

"It's very disappointing that we've got people with zero assists playing 30 minutes."

"It's amazing to me how easily we've been taken out of things."

"We're not focused....Some people are focused on themselves instead of what they can do for the team."

"It's really disappointing to not do what we're capable of doing. Our leadership has been very poor."

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=3742244

Reaction Score
For me it would be Jeff walz, then Doug bruno and if not them it gets tricky. Lots of young good coaches I've never heard of but I'm also talking to Kara Lawson.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For me it would be Jeff walz, then Doug bruno and if not them it gets tricky. Lots of young good coaches I've never heard of but I'm also talking to Kara Lawson.

Don't see Walz leaving or Bruno. Not sure Lawson wants to be a coach.

Agreed that for Duke's sake, JPM has to go. But is the administration that concerned over what is happening?

Reaction Score

"It's very disappointing that we've got people with zero assists playing 30 minutes."

"We're not focused....Some people are focused on themselves instead of what they can do for the team."

"It's really disappointing to not do what we're capable of doing. Our leadership has been very poor."

How about a lack of leadership at the top, starting with the head coach!

Reaction Score
Every team in the world would Walz if they had an opening, but why would he ever leave Louisville? I think Ivey might be a good pick.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey would be a great coach for Duke or any high profile program. IMHO its no coincidence that with Ivey's arrival at ND, their recruiting is significantly improved and now the second best program in all of WBB.

Reaction Score
I don't think JPM is a very good coach, but their biggest problem can be described in 2 words: Alexis Jones. Duke has very weak guard play. If Alexis were still there, healthy, and motivated to play for JPM, the Dukies would have 3-4 losses, not 9.
That seems to be the problem across the board with them. You can only kick 20 year olds when they are down so many times, before they either give up on you or turn on you...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Als0 -

Poor leadership - two seniors on bench in foul trouble

Not looking forward to Sunday game vs UNC due to poor effort this game

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I wonder if the transfer bug will strike again after the season concludes for the Blue Devils? Shame to think that way really but who wants to play in that situation.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Im sure this would be devastating for the Duke fans, but I would love to see the kids approach the administration en masse, it is either her or us. I say devastating to the fans because I still am not sure the Administration would make the right decision.
I feel so terrible for these young women (and for the fans of Duke), they deserve so much better.

I saw on the The Devils Den that a meeting was held to talk to, get feedback from, fans who were not renewing their season tickets. I wonder what the outcome of that was. My optimistic, glass half full self, wonders if Duke is gaining documentation for cause of termination, so they do not have to pay out her contract. Again though, given the appearance of lack of interest in the WBB program, I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gosh, its too easy to pick on Coach P these days..........Where is the AD? or the school President?...........Getting boo'd at home is bad...........

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

The leadership starts with her; my guess is she probably hasn't thought one bit about that though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gosh, its too easy to pick on Coach P these days.....Where is the AD? or the school President?......Getting boo'd at home is bad......
High speculation on my part here, but I actually wonder if JPM fate at Duke has not already been decided by the administration and will be announced post season. I just don’t see how this recent relentless attacks on her own players could be ignored by the administration. The current players going to the administration may have very little effect because there is a built in penalty for a current student of having to sit out a year after transferring and let’s face it unless a Duke player transfers to Stanford they are going to be taking a step down in terms of the academic reputation of the school to which they transfer. Duke 2015 incoming class is quite a haul. It includes 5 players. The lowest rankedaccording to ESPN is Haley Gorecki- yes same Haley who had an offer from UCONN. Top of the Duke class is Salavadores. 3 (Lambert, Suggs, Primm) excellent players in between. If the administration makes a change before those players arrive on campus you might see some defections. Duke Administration can still play hardball and refuse to release them from NLI.

Reaction Score
Look to Oregon State to see what happens when a good coach follows a poor one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In the loss prior to this one to the Wolfpack I saw a demotivated Duke team, which is perfectly understandable. One of the Devil's Den regulars calls McCallie a narcissistic personality and she sure seems to fit the part of the definition about not caring about the feelings of others together with an inflated sense of one's own worth. She's cancerous but there is nothing but pessimism at the DD about her being given the boot.

Reaction Score
Personally, I categorically do NOT indulge in any schadenfreude over the Duke situation. Unlike many others, I neither like nor dislike Coach P as a human being. I just think that she has proved herself, again and again, to be manifestly incompetent insofar as the development of talent is concerned. Clearly, she can recruit good players, although I think she is helped disproportionately in that effort by the name, the institution, the campus, etc. But still, pretty impressive talent lands on her doorstep, whatever the reason, and I'm sure she deserves a lot of the credit. Yet, from the time the players arrive until the time they graduate (or transfer out) it's virtually impossible to point to anything about her abilities as a head coach of a major program about which to be very laudatory...and failures in player development constitute only part of the story. She is one of the worst in-game coaches I've ever observed. Her stubborn refusal to make appropriate in-game adjustments, or, maybe more accurately, her inability to do so would frustrate me beyond measure if I were a Duke fan. All this makes her refusal to accept personal responsibility for her multiple failures especially galling. Duke will continue to be one of the "better" programs in WCBB because of its own allure for prospective players, but it ain't ever gettin' to the promised land with this woman as coach!

Reaction Score
Forget Waltz he is not leaving Louisville and will be back in the final 4 in the next 2 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom