"Dream Team" matchup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Dream Team" matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wade is a nice player but could do little to nothing vs Michael and Scottie..........And Howard? Man he is a man no doubt but against the elite centers of the past he's nothing, strong and can dunk - zero other game and easy to guard for Ewing or any C's of the past......this really wouldn't matter........

+1

Reaction Score
I keep hearing people in the media saying the 2012 team doesn't have Wade, Howard and Rose. Who cares the Dream Team didn't have Isiah Thomas, Nique, Shaq

Also, a big one: Hakeem the Dream.

Reaction Score
I have always said the 2012 team could compete with the Dream Team IF they had a healthy Howard and a healthy Wade. But they don't, so this debate isn't really one.

However, the problem with having the debate right now is we already know where the Dream Teamers rank in a historical context. Aside from Kobe, we don't for any of the 2012ers.

For instance, Kevin Love is 23 and just finished a season where he averaged 26 points, 13 rebounds, and shot 37% from 3 (on 5 attempts per game). Those numbers are right there with what Malone and Barkley were putting up at similar stages in their careers. That doesn't mean Love will be as good as them (although it's a possibility), but we just have no idea.

Same goes for Kevin Durant and LeBron James - we know they're terrific players. We don't know if that means top 20 all time, or top 5. Either is a possibility, but there's so much that needs to happen that we're years away from having this debate. One thing I do know for certain, though: Chris Paul would make it over Stockton. He's the most complete, pure point guard since Isiah, and has a chance to finish as one of the 3-5 best ever.

All that said, why are we still debating this? If 2012 had Howard it'd be one thing, but Chandler would get absolutely dominated by the Dream Team's big men. The matchup problems inside would be a far bigger advantage than the 2012 team's speed on the perimeter. I say '92 wins a 7-game series 4-1 (I'm being generous there, too).

I agree, we have to revisit this 20 years from now. My bet though, is on the Dream Team. There is a reason why they are called the Dream Team.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
They aren't stopping Jordan either.

If there's anyone in the NBA that I could see stopping MJ it would be LeBron. He's an elite defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
If there's anyone in the NBA that I could see stopping MJ it would be LeBron. He's an elite defender.

I thought Dean Smith was the only man able to stop Michael Jordan.

Reaction Score
Actually Hakeem wanted to be on the Dream Team but he hadn't gotten his citizenship yet at that point. Hakeem still seems underrated to ms, amazing player.

Reaction Score
Wade is a nice player but could do little to nothing vs Michael and Scottie..........And Howard? Man he is a man no doubt but against the elite centers of the past he's nothing, strong and can dunk - zero other game and easy to guard for Ewing or any C's of the past......this really wouldn't matter........
Wade couldn't score against MJ, no. But aside from LeBron (who you'd want defending Magic primarily), he's the only one who could make it somewhat difficult for MJ to score.

Likewise for Howard - he may not score a point against Robinson/Ewing, but he would make it extremely difficult for Robinson/Ewing to score on him. And on a team with the likes of Durant, Kobe, LeBron, and Paul, all Howard would have to do is defend the paint and rebound...which just so happen to be his two biggest strengths.

Again, I will never pick against the Dream Team, but do people really think a lineup of...
PG - LeBron
SG - Wade/Kobe
SF - Durant
PF - Love
C - Howard

...couldn't steal a couple games from '92 in a series? At the very least, most/all of the games are competitive.

Reaction Score
The 2012 team needs a 2008 Kobe and a better front court to beat the 92 team in any type of series. Who knows what might happen in one game, especially with the international 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Whats your guys take on this debate? I know its impossible to say, but what else is there to talk about right now. Personally, Id take 92, but Im an MJ homer. I think he does have a point that their team was older and they knew how to play the game, where as this team is a lot younger and gets by on freakish athleticism. Would be an interesting matchup, but in the end MJ drops 55 while also guarding LBJ and Kobe at the same time and holding them both scoreless. Real Dream Team by 10.
Not even close, 92'

C

Chief00

I agree the center position is a huge overmatch, both defensively and offensively.

Reaction Score

Jordan put up his numbers in an age when you could do anything short of grabbing a chair from the bench and smashing it over a guy's head WWE style and not have a foul called. In international play, LeBron isn't going to bother Jordan.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Jordan put up his numbers in an age when you could do anything short of grabbing a chair from the bench and smashing it over a guy's head WWE style and not have a foul called. In international play, LeBron isn't going to bother Jordan.

Jordan never went up against a player like LeBron James. I've only followed the NBA since 92, but I've never seen anyone at 6'8 260 as fast, strong and intelligent as LeBron. Jordan was quick and could blow by his first and second defender to get to the rim. I just can't see him blowing by or getting up his jumpshot as succesfully as he normally would with LeBron on him.

Reaction Score
Wade couldn't score against MJ, no. But aside from LeBron (who you'd want defending Magic primarily), he's the only one who could make it somewhat difficult for MJ to score.

Likewise for Howard - he may not score a point against Robinson/Ewing, but he would make it extremely difficult for Robinson/Ewing to score on him. And on a team with the likes of Durant, Kobe, LeBron, and Paul, all Howard would have to do is defend the paint and rebound...which just so happen to be his two biggest strengths.

Again, I will never pick against the Dream Team, but do people really think a lineup of...
PG - LeBron
SG - Wade/Kobe
SF - Durant
PF - Love
C - Howard

...couldn't steal a couple games from '92 in a series? At the very least, most/all of the games are competitive.
It's not the starting five vs. starting five. Love/Howard might be able to not be embarrassed against Barkley and Ewing, but are this team's backups going to be able to handle Malone and Robinson? And if we're just taking the best players regardless of if they made the team or not, how about adding in Hakeem or Shaq to the 92 group.

Reaction Score
Jordan never went up against a player like LeBron James. I've only followed the NBA since 92, but I've never seen anyone at 6'8 260 as fast, strong and intelligent as LeBron. Jordan was quick and could blow by his first and second defender to get to the rim. I just can't see him blowing by or getting up his jumpshot as succesfully as he normally would with LeBron on him.

You and I have been following the NBA for the same amount of time. On offense and defense, Jordan is 1a, LeBron, 1b. The difference is how big James is. He's certainly amazing. But Jordan was one of the fiercest competitors and wouldn't let anyone beat him.

Reaction Score
Jordan was pretty good size himself at 6'6". He was known as a freak in terms of strength for his size and his body control is unrivaled by anyone ever to play the game. Jordan averaged 30ppg for his career in the the hand checking era. Basketball without hand checking is a whole different animal. Jordan might have averaged 40 without hand checking.

LBJ is amazing but he isn't MJ. Imo, he isn't any better than Kobe in his prime, though I agree one coud argue that.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
You and I have been following the NBA for the same amount of time. On offense and defense, Jordan is 1a, LeBron, 1b. The difference is how big James is. He's certainly amazing. But Jordan was one of the fiercest competitors and wouldn't let anyone beat him.

I remember Jordan, trust me. I just think it might have been different going against someone as big, quick and smart of a player as LeBron. As great as these two are in their primes, I couldn't see Jordan checking LeBron on defense. I didn't see the game but I heard that when Jordan won his first ring, he couldn't check Magic because of his size and Pippen had to handle guarding him. If that's true I just can't see how he could guard James.

Reaction Score
I remember Jordan, trust me. I just think it might have been different going against someone as big, quick and smart of a player as LeBron. As great as these two are in their primes, I couldn't see Jordan checking LeBron on defense. I didn't see the game but I heard that when Jordan won his first ring, he couldn't check Magic because of his size and Pippen had to handle guarding him. If that's true I just can't see how he could guard James.

Good points. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Reaction Score
It's not the starting five vs. starting five. Love/Howard might be able to not be embarrassed against Barkley and Ewing, but are this team's backups going to be able to handle Malone and Robinson? And if we're just taking the best players regardless of if they made the team or not, how about adding in Hakeem or Shaq to the 92 group.
Would Stockton and co. have been able to handle the likes of Westbrook/Rose/Williams? Don't get me wrong, the Dream Team's size would be a bigger mismatch than the 2012 team's speed, but the matchup problems go both ways.

And I'm not talking about just adding the best players - I'm talking about adding players who WOULD have been on the 2012 team had they been healthy...which Wade and Howard certainly would have been. As far as I can remember, injuries weren't the reason Hakeem and Shaq didn't make the '92 team (although I could be wrong).

Reaction Score
Yea I find it kind of odd that everyone is keeps comparing the frontcourts, which the 92 team did have a decided advantage in, but completely ignoring the backcourt and perimeter situations. The 92 team had 2 elite perimeter defenders, Pippen & Jordan, they wouldn't be able to guard everyone at the same time. Stockton was a good defender in his day but he would not be able to handle today's elite athleticism at PG, Rose, Westbrook, and CP3 would blow by him with ease, and really he was a bit player on that 92 team.

Would Stockton and co. have been able to handle the likes of Westbrook/Rose/Williams? Don't get me wrong, the Dream Team's size would be a bigger mismatch than the 2012 team's speed, but the matchup problems go both ways.

And I'm not talking about just adding the best players - I'm talking about adding players who WOULD have been on the 2012 team had they been healthy...which Wade and Howard certainly would have been. As far as I can remember, injuries weren't the reason Hakeem and Shaq didn't make the '92 team (although I could be wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom