"Dream Team" matchup | The Boneyard

"Dream Team" matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whats your guys take on this debate? I know its impossible to say, but what else is there to talk about right now. Personally, Id take 92, but Im an MJ homer. I think he does have a point that their team was older and they knew how to play the game, where as this team is a lot younger and gets by on freakish athleticism. Would be an interesting matchup, but in the end MJ drops 55 while also guarding LBJ and Kobe at the same time and holding them both scoreless. Real Dream Team by 10.

Reaction Score
Ryan Russillo was right when he said the only people who think the 12 team could beat the 92 team are either on the 12 team or 12 years old.

I think Lebron, Durant and Kobe and maybe Chris Paul are the only ones on this team who would make the 92 team. Lebron, Durant and Kobe would replace Lattern, Mullins and Drexler or Pippen. Does Paul replace Stockton? Tough one. No one else on the 12 team is replacing anyone on the 92 team.

The 12 team will start Chandler at Center? Are you kidding me? Him matching up with David Robinson and Ewing?

Malone and Barkley compared to Blake Griffin and Kevin Love? Come on, Blake can dunk that's cool.......

Also Kobe would make the team but wouldnt start over Jordon. The only one who starts is Lebron over the Bird/Pippen combo the 92 team used. Thats because by 92 Bird was slowed down due to injury and ended up retiring after.

There is only 1 Dream Team and it was in 1992 and they would beat this 2012 team by 15+

Reaction Score
IMO the Redeem Team was better than this year's team. No idea why this '92 vs '12 debate started, just foolish stuff to fill the dull summer months.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The '12 team could beat the '92 team if they had Lil' Penny. Remember, he and the rest of the team of college players that scrimmaged against the Dream Team were the only team to beat them.

H

Husk-E

Apparently instead of practicing Kobe decides to say stuff like this during the summer to try and keep people entertained.

Reaction Score
The 2012 team would give the Dream Team a game.

For starters, the 2012 team would start two players on the 92 team, LeBron and Durant. Durant's better than any small forward on that roster, and LeBron is a better power forward than anybody on their roster. The 2012 team would obviously have trouble guarding the post, but you have to consider the mis-matches on the other end of the court, as well. Magic wasn't a good defender even when he was in his prime - by the time 1992 rolled around, he would have had a real hard time staying in front of Russel Westbrook and Chris Paul. Charles Barkley and Karl Malone would not have a lot of fun guarding LeBron James, and as good as Pippen is defensively, Durant cannot be guarded by himself one on one. The 1992 team may have had 11 Hall of Famers, but the 2012 team may wind up having three of the best ten players of all-time in Kobe, LeBron, and Durant when it's all set and done.

I think the Dream Team would win, but anybody who thinks the 2012 team is losing by 25 points is kidding themselves. Keep in mind, international competition in 1992 was far inferior to where it is now. This is almost a pride thing with the older generation - nobody can ever rival or compare to the way things were when I was a young lad. I get it, but just because you may remember the Dream Team more fondly doesn't necessarily mean they were far superior.

Reaction Score
The 1992 team would pack the paint to the extreme. I don't think Magic's individual D is an issue and CP3 and especially Westbrook wouldn't have that big of an impact. CP3 didn't even have a huge impact on the Redeem Team. Stockton was a tenacious and smart defender. There really aren't any elite shooters on the 2012 team. Especially if we're playing with 1992 officiating, the collapsing team defense would be very tough even for a team like the 2012 crew. Think of a better version of LeBron & Wade in MJ & Pippen while being backed by elite shot blockers.

The 1992 team had the three best non-centers of all time in Bird, MJ and Magic - though of course Bird & Magic were at the end of their career. Kobe is past his prime and Durant isn't there yet (true story, even with three consecutive scoring titles).

Pippen would give Durant plenty of issues. Pippen struggled with physical players (Rodman, Anthony Mason) but a player like Durant was the ideal match up for Pippen especially if he was allowed to play KD physically like you were allowed to in 1992. Even an ancient Stephen Jackson and Shane Battier gave Durant trouble this post season with ball-denials and getting up in his grill upon a catch - and they're a fraction of the defender Pippen was in his prime.

Calling LeBron a PF because he found a little semblance of a post game in the Finals is going overboard. Calling him a better PF than Barkley/Malone is insane. Is he a better player? Clearly, but a better PF? Not a chance. He's still a SF that initiates the offense and now posts up a little bit. He's not posting up and doing damage against a front line of Malone, Ewing and Robinson. His post game will continue to develop but at this point he's still awkward and hesitant, he just uses his physical gifts to do things in the post, he wouldn't have that advantage against the '92 team especially since they would never have to double team.

The front court advantage is gross. Every front line member on the 1992 team could spread the floor, shoot and pass a little bit. They were much more skilled than any big man in the NBA today outside of Pau. They would decimate a front line of Tyson Chandler, LeBron and Durant. Physically, on the glass, defensively when closing down the lane. Interior passing is a lost art in the NBA due to spread the floor drive-n-kick and pick-n-roll offenses. All the bigs on the 1992 team were good interior passers outside of Malone.

Oh, and the 1992 team had the best player in the history of the sport, in his prime. Plus I'm sure the chemistry and teamwork of the 2012 team will not be on par with the Dream Team. Would it be a 25 point blowout? Of course not, but I haven't heard anyone say that. Those who say the 1992 team would consistently win by double figures are dead on though.

Reaction Score
If you give me a natural poing guard, shooting guard, small forward, and center, who would you rather have filling the fifth spot, a natural power forward in Barkley or a better player in LeBron James who can take advantage of his matchup offensively and hold his own defensively?

The 1992 team doubtlessly had superior shooters and passers, but LeBron James is probably the second greatest point forward to play the game next to Magic Johnson, and although Jordan is the better player, the totality of the impact LeBron makes on an individual game may be in fact be greater, and Durant, CP3, Kobe, and Kevin Love are more than serviceable as outside threats. While LeBron's post game is far from polished, he dominates the paint for stretches, must like we saw throughout the playoffs. He's the ultimate pick your poison player - he can pick you apart by passing and scoring. Chris Paul isn't quite on the Magic Johnson or John Stockton level in regards to court vision, but he's pretty damn close. With him and LeBron hopefully using the ball more than any other players on the team, I don't think the 2012 team would be any slouches in terms of ball movement, even if their attack is more perimter oriented while the 92 team's approach would be primarily to pound the ball inside.

I don't doubt the fact that the Dream Team would win the battle of the boards, but I think some, not all, of the descripancy in size can be compensated for by the freakish athletes the 2012 team posseses.

Do I think the 2012 team is better? Of course not. But I could easily see the 2012 team winning on a given day where they're hot from beyond the arch. In a seven game series the 2012 team wins maybe 1.5 games IMO. Add Wade, Howard, Bosh, and Rose and it's a 4-3 type series in my estimation.

Reaction Score
The thing that people ignore is the depth of the 1992 team.

They focus on Lebron at PF and Durant being ungaurdable. The fact people think that the 2012 team can give them a game based on 2 players is so absurd.

How about when you have to put Igudola in? Or Blake Griffin? Or Harden? The 92 team was running out a 10 x all star and 5 x all NBA player in his prime off the bench in Drexler. They were also bringing in Mullins who joined Drexler on the 1992 1st team All NBA team. John Stockton could barely crack the lineup. Or how about arguably the best defensive small forward of all time in Pippen? Look up what Pippen did to Tony Kukoc, the best non-NBA player in the world at the time, in the 1992 Olympics when he wanted to make a point. You don't think he can slow down Durant? All these guys are HOF and members of the 50 anniversary team.

Sure Lebron and Durant will get theirs, but comeon the depth of the 1992 team combined with the actual starters on that team would make this a big mismatch.

Reaction Score
Or how about arguably the best defensive small forward of all time in Pippen? Look up what Pippen did to Tony Kukoc, the best non-NBA player in the world at the time, in the 1992 Olympics when he wanted to make a point. You don't think he can slow down Durant?

Great argument.

Reaction Score
The 2012 team would give the Dream Team a game.

For starters, the 2012 team would start two players on the 92 team, LeBron and Durant. Durant's better than any small forward on that roster, and LeBron is a better power forward than anybody on their roster. The 2012 team would obviously have trouble guarding the post, but you have to consider the mis-matches on the other end of the court, as well. Magic wasn't a good defender even when he was in his prime - by the time 1992 rolled around, he would have had a real hard time staying in front of Russel Westbrook and Chris Paul. Charles Barkley and Karl Malone would not have a lot of fun guarding LeBron James, and as good as Pippen is defensively, Durant cannot be guarded by himself one on one. The 1992 team may have had 11 Hall of Famers, but the 2012 team may wind up having three of the best ten players of all-time in Kobe, LeBron, and Durant when it's all set and done.

I think the Dream Team would win, but anybody who thinks the 2012 team is losing by 25 points is kidding themselves. Keep in mind, international competition in 1992 was far inferior to where it is now. This is almost a pride thing with the older generation - nobody can ever rival or compare to the way things were when I was a young lad. I get it, but just because you may remember the Dream Team more fondly doesn't necessarily mean they were far superior.

Perhaps. But he can be guarded by God. And we all know who God was. Just ask Larry Legend.....

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
For all the 2K fans you're in luck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345086219.720817.jpg

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/23424/ewing-dream-team-in-nba-2k13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
In a 7 game series i would pick Dream Team to win 4-3 due to post advantage. Now, if you add the players on this team that were missed (D-Wade, Howard, Rose, Bosh) i take the current team.

Reaction Score
The 12 team would win 1 or 2 in a 7 game series only because of what we saw in most recent games......they will catch a game or 2 where they make 3's.......but they would have to depend on that and that alone as the 92 team would tear them apart on the interior, no contest.........

Reaction Score
92 team were more mature players and men, stronger, bigger up front. I'll take 6-8 Magic anyday as a point. 12 team took alot of bad shots ala Kobe. never saw so much whining from a USA squad too. The 12 team played better comp.

Reaction Score
92 team were more mature players and men, stronger, bigger up front. I'll take 6-8 Magic anyday as a point. 12 team took alot of bad shots ala Kobe. never saw so much whining from a USA squad too. The 12 team played better comp.

The whining in the championship game was cimcal and it came form the team and that nose on the sideline.....it was embarrasing!

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
The whining in the championship game was cimcal and it came form the team and that nose on the sideline.....it was embarrasing!

Boo hoo.

Reaction Score
it boggles my mind that people actually believe the `12 team would beat the dream team. why ? because they have lebron and durant? they are the two best players in the world right now but so what? the dream team had ten of the greatest players EVER! ewing,robinson,barkley,malone,jordan,pippen,stockton and drexler all in their PRIMES!!! btw that team also left off isiah thomas, dominique wilkins and SHAQ!!! bron would not be able to drive the lane with robinson and/or ewing in the post and pippen in his face all game he would be relegated to taking alot of contested jumpshots and jordan wouldve been all over durant. kobe well kobe is just an old man talking out his arse right now.
this 12 team would not beat the dream team PERIOD! now if you had bosh,bynum,howard,wade and rose now you have an arguement.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
it boggles my mind that people actually believe the `12 team would beat the dream team. why ? because they have lebron and durant? they are the two best players in the world right now but so what? the dream team had ten of the greatest players EVER! ewing,robinson,barkley,malone,jordan,pippen,stockton and drexler all in their PRIMES!!! btw that team also left off isiah thomas, dominique wilkins and SHAQ!!! bron would not be able to drive the lane with robinson and/or ewing in the post and pippen in his face all game he would be relegated to taking alot of contested jumpshots and jordan wouldve been all over durant. kobe well kobe is just an old man talking out his arse right now.
this 12 team would not beat the dream team PERIOD! now if you had bosh,bynum,howard,wade and rose now you have an arguement.

Jordan isn't stopping Durant or LeBron.

Reaction Score
Ryan Russillo was right when he said the only people who think the 12 team could beat the 92 team are either on the 12 team or 12 years old.

I think Lebron, Durant and Kobe and maybe Chris Paul are the only ones on this team who would make the 92 team. Lebron, Durant and Kobe would replace Lattern, Mullins and Drexler or Pippen. Does Paul replace Stockton? Tough one. No one else on the 12 team is replacing anyone on the 92 team.

The 12 team will start Chandler at Center? Are you kidding me? Him matching up with David Robinson and Ewing?

Malone and Barkley compared to Blake Griffin and Kevin Love? Come on, Blake can dunk that's cool.......

Also Kobe would make the team but wouldnt start over Jordon. The only one who starts is Lebron over the Bird/Pippen combo the 92 team used. Thats because by 92 Bird was slowed down due to injury and ended up retiring after.

There is only 1 Dream Team and it was in 1992 and they would beat this 2012 team by 15+
I have always said the 2012 team could compete with the Dream Team IF they had a healthy Howard and a healthy Wade. But they don't, so this debate isn't really one.

However, the problem with having the debate right now is we already know where the Dream Teamers rank in a historical context. Aside from Kobe, we don't for any of the 2012ers.

For instance, Kevin Love is 23 and just finished a season where he averaged 26 points, 13 rebounds, and shot 37% from 3 (on 5 attempts per game). Those numbers are right there with what Malone and Barkley were putting up at similar stages in their careers. That doesn't mean Love will be as good as them (although it's a possibility), but we just have no idea.

Same goes for Kevin Durant and LeBron James - we know they're terrific players. We don't know if that means top 20 all time, or top 5. Either is a possibility, but there's so much that needs to happen that we're years away from having this debate. One thing I do know for certain, though: Chris Paul would make it over Stockton. He's the most complete, pure point guard since Isiah, and has a chance to finish as one of the 3-5 best ever.

All that said, why are we still debating this? If 2012 had Howard it'd be one thing, but Chandler would get absolutely dominated by the Dream Team's big men. The matchup problems inside would be a far bigger advantage than the 2012 team's speed on the perimeter. I say '92 wins a 7-game series 4-1 (I'm being generous there, too).

Reaction Score
The 2012 team's big men wouldn't have been able to stop Robinson and Malone, and those two were coming off the bench. That team had too much depth down low for this year's squad.

Reaction Score
Wade is a nice player but could do little to nothing vs Michael and Scottie..........And Howard? Man he is a man no doubt but against the elite centers of the past he's nothing, strong and can dunk - zero other game and easy to guard for Ewing or any C's of the past......this really wouldn't matter........

Reaction Score
I keep hearing people in the media saying the 2012 team doesn't have Wade, Howard and Rose. Who cares the Dream Team didn't have Isiah Thomas, Nique, Shaq and other greats. You play with what you have and it's a joke to think the 2012 team would beat the Dream Team. Dwight Howard is overrated, he feasts during a period in time where there is no other centers, he has a very undeveloped game. Athletic and strong as he'll but he would get worked over by the centers of 80's and 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom