Doris Burke bids farewell to WCBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Doris Burke bids farewell to WCBB

Reaction Score
Looks like she's not going to be calling games any longer...

Doris Burke bids farewell to women's basketball assignments - ESPN Front Row

I suspected something like that might be coming. I figured that's why Kara was working with Doris and Dave this year; I couldn't see any other reason to bring her out of the studio where I think we'd all agree she was a favorite, and put her into a three-man team when all the other teams were duos.

The good news then would be that Dave and Kara would probably be the new #1 team. I'll miss Doris though; she could get preachy and go far off topic, I liked her; I thought she was as knowledgeable as anybody and worked very well with Dave. Strangely while I love all three (Dave, Doris, and Kara) I didn't think the three worked together as well as they did in regular duos...maybe too much of an opportunity to get lost in chat and not stay close enough to the action. But I'll,remember that in her last Connecticut game, she and Kara both got the calls on Gabby's fourth (non) foul and the flagrant against Katie Lou correct, and that they were decisive about it. If Kara is the new #1 analyst, we're in good hands.

Unfortunately that would also mean that Kara won't return to the studio...which leaves Maria...and Rebecca...and Andy? I know Andy is at best an acquired taste here, but now for those that don't like him, the best alternative is gone....

Until,Sue Bird retires.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
At a time when broadcasters are confused for circus clowns and vice versa, Doris brought a generous level of professionalism to her WCBB work. She can be verbose, but she's not alone in that. She sincerely believes in the value of women's sports and gender equity for athletes, and she has been unafraid to say so.

Personally, I feel that her best work has been done on the NBA games, where she is more technical and less anecdotal. I am not surprised that she will focus more on that venue.

I wish her the best.

Reaction Score
I'll miss Doris Burke during the WCBB telecasts for her knowledge, passion for the game, and belief of calling it as she saw it!
Trying to be all things to all people takes it's toll on the family and I guess her missing her daughter's game was the straw that broke the camel's back!
Best wishes to a great lady!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1117-drake-getty-3.jpg

Reaction Score
Great news, good by Doris and don't let the door hit you in the Buttocks on the way out.

Reaction Score
At a time when broadcasters are confused for circus clowns and vice versa, Doris brought a generous level of professionalism to her WCBB work. She can be verbose, but she's not alone in that. She sincerely believes in the value of women's sports and gender equity for athletes, and she has been unafraid to say so.

Personally, I feel that her best work has been done on the NBA games, where she is more technical and less anecdotal. I am not surprised that she will focus more on that venue.

I wish her the best.
It is an interesting comment--Broadcaster being confused with clowns and visa versa---two clowns became broadcasters ---at least two I know, maybe more---George Hershman (harrisonburg, va, Harrisburg, Pa broadcaster) Willard (NBC weatherman prior to Al Roker

Reaction Score
saw the other day that ESPN is cutting another 100 (I think) employees. Since the younger folks have figured out how to liberate themselves from subscription cable and get ESPN otherways, ESPN has been the biggest loser, by far. Don't know if she's a casualty of that (as Chris Berman is)....
Not to worry millineals (sp) will at some point have to pay for what they now get free--and pay a tax on it to boot. Any way of making money or any means of collecting taxes shall always be investigated ---are you paying your breathing tax yet??
A few old sayings come to mind: There is no such thing as a FREE lunch. The best things in life used to be FREE.

Reaction Score
I like Doris Burke. She wanted to play for Geno. I enjoyed her comments and wish her the best in whatever she does or wants to do.

Reaction Score
saw the other day that ESPN is cutting another 100 (I think) employees. Since the younger folks have figured out how to liberate themselves from subscription cable and get ESPN otherways, ESPN has been the biggest loser, by far. Don't know if she's a casualty of that (as Chris Berman is)....
If anyone is getting ESPN, they are paying for it somehow.

Reaction Score
Familiarity often breeds contempt and that seems to have happened in some corners for Doris. I'm not as fond of Doris's WCBB work as I once was although I'm not a hater, but today I'll remember my admiration for her for most of her career. Her sideline reporting was very solid at the beginning of her career, and when she transitioned into color commentating she absolutely was the best of the color commentators on WCBB national TV games. I'm happy that Doris received the opportunity to work men's games and now Kara Lawson is falling her footsteps. Doris was absolutely the right person to be the one to cross that barrier.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think like most people who set the bar in their chosen endeavor they won'the truly be missed until others who follow her fail to live up to those standards. Yes Doris sure had her faults, many of which were clearly on display during that MSS/UCONN game. But just remember, when she failed she failed in comparison to her best moments, and those moments my friends IMO were truly grand.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yes Doris sure had her faults...But just remember, when she failed she failed in comparison to her best moments, and those moments my friends IMO were truly grand.

In the finals versus ND, her "class at the top of the game" comment was amazing. A rebuff to Muffet without getting nasty, her remarks were on target 100 percent.

I only wish I had ever been as good on the air.

Reaction Score
My problem with her is actually my problem with me. I've heard her say the same thing so many times, because I watch a lot of games that she announces. That's not her fault. She thinks she's talking to a new audience. She's got real soul, I'll certainly give her that.

Reaction Score
I bet she's going to concentrate on her lingerie line. I think she owns a business.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She claims to be continuing with her increased assignments in both men's college and the NBA. My wife saw this coming, not related to ESPN's issues, although, as someone else noted, she may be cheaper than some of the other talent calling Men's College and NBA games.

Reaction Score
Despite her flaws, she certainly will be sorely missed on WCBB coverage. It had to be a burdensome grind traveling coast to coast to cover three different versions of the same sport. And she's a UCONN fan.
Bull , She was terrible. Biggest mouth on TV. Now i can watch the games and not have to mute the tv.

Reaction Score
An absolute sports icon. I'm stunned by this. A broadcaster who you could take seriously. Too few of 'em these days.
OMG.. I can't believe what you said, are you serious? It has got to be a joke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom