Doris Burke bids farewell to WCBB | The Boneyard

Doris Burke bids farewell to WCBB

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Despite her flaws, she certainly will be sorely missed on WCBB coverage. It had to be a burdensome grind traveling coast to coast to cover three different versions of the same sport. And she's a UCONN fan.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Doris Burke calling games especially of late. I noticed that she started to give her opinions on the ref's calls during games which I appreciated. I could only speculate that she is stepping down after her emotional discussion on TV about missing her daughter's special event to cover a WCBB game.

Thanks Doris for your support for WCBB throughout the years.

Reaction Score
Best wishes to DB as she moves on in her career. She annoyed some of us at times, but no one can question her expertise on or her commitment to WCBB. Her presence on NBA broadcasts will be another step in increasing respect for women's basketball, directly or indirectly.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WOW - this was unexpected.

I will miss Doris teamed with Dave. Yea, Doris could get a little chatty but she understood the fine details of the game and what makes great basketball.

The best to her in her future career.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've said this before. DB is very knowledgeable and a great supporter of WBB in general and UConn in particular, but she is very distracting as a color commentator when she makes one of her many long-winded comments while the game is going on.

In contrast, Kara Lawson does her homework and makes insightful and concise comments that fit in with the flow of the game.

I wish DB well, but I'm ecstatic if that means we get a steady dose of Kara Lawson doing color commentary for WBB.

Reaction Score
This absolutely freaking sucks. Whatever her flaws (and she certainly has fewer than me), I love Doris Burke. She has a great sense of the dramatic in WBB, is as familiar with its history as anyone, loves the game, and loves the women. She is an ambassador for the sport. And I like her style. She will be sorely missed.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I've always enjoyed listening to her. She wouldn't be having the opportunity to call NBA games if she wasn't very knowledgeable about the sport of basketball, and able to convey that on television.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really didn't care for the version of Doris over the last 5 years say, but there was no denying either her experience with the women's game more her wealth of knowledge - my issue was with delivery and an overabundance of non-relevant verbiage during game broadcasts.
I hope she sticks around with some columns and studio work from time to time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Best of luck to her with the NBA and MCBB.

image.jpg

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting when they had a 3-person crew and wondered if Kara was on the verge of taking over.
ESPN has been hemorrhaging $ubscribers and Disney continues to trim the fat. Although Doris is staying with ESPN, it may be that the 3 member team of her, Kara and O'Brien was a transitional plan and thinning of the herd. Kara and Becca are the future of ESPN WCBB programming and with a corporate reorg coming, the future likely just got fast-forwarded.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Not sure if it was regional finals and don't think it was semis, but at one point, DB got very emotional during a shout out to someone, maybe her daughter, who was participating in some sort of competition for Seton Hall. No idea if an athlete, coach, as details of her personal life are a bit vague online. Perhaps she's had enough of trying to do it all.

Reaction Score
saw the other day that ESPN is cutting another 100 (I think) employees. Since the younger folks have figured out how to liberate themselves from subscription cable and get ESPN otherways, ESPN has been the biggest loser, by far. Don't know if she's a casualty of that (as Chris Berman is)....

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was regional finals and don't think it was semis, but at one point, DB got very emotional during a shout out to someone, maybe her daughter, who was participating in some sort of competition for Seton Hall. No idea if an athlete, coach, as details of her personal life are a bit vague online. Perhaps she's had enough of trying to do it all.

Her daughter made it to the D2 finals

Reaction Score
saw the other day that ESPN is cutting another 100 (I think) employees. Since the younger folks have figured out how to liberate themselves from subscription cable and get ESPN otherways, ESPN has been the biggest loser, by far. Don't know if she's a casualty of that (as Chris Berman is)....

She's not leaving espn.
Nor do i suspect she's highly paid enough to be a casualty.
If ánything she could be a beneficiary of older male analysts getting shown the door.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom