Donyell Marshall joining Steve Pikiell's staff | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donyell Marshall joining Steve Pikiell's staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I disagree. Rutgers has big upside if they are patient and build the program the right way. There is so much talent within 3 hours of Rutgers that they could build a winning program with getting the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th best talents in 3 hot recruiting areas. Plus, the RAC would rock with a good team.

The key is university support. If Rutgers decides basketball is important, I think Rutgers can have a top 25 program.

I applaud your optimism
Can we look back at the last 30 years and see how many times Rutgers sniffed the top 25?
They haven't moved the campus so the pickings have been there.
They have had a bunch of coaches so you can't blame 1 or 2 regimes
If anybody bled scarlet it was E Jordan and what recruits did he get?
Has SP any experience landing even middle of the road players from this area?

Reaction Score
I applaud your optimism
Can we look back at the last 30 years and see how many times Rutgers sniffed the top 25?
They haven't moved the campus so the pickings have been there.
They have had a bunch of coaches so you can't blame 1 or 2 regimes
If anybody bled scarlet it was E Jordan and what recruits did he get?
Has SP any experience landing even middle of the road players from this area?

Obviously, you haven't followed Rutgers basketball. They have made poor coaching hires and anyone who thinks Eddie Jordan was a good hire/coach, well they don't know college basketball.

As I said, Rutgers needs patience and they COULD develop a top 25 program. The recruits are close by, they just need to show some victories and a LT vision with a good coach.

Reaction Score
I know this is going to be a disaster but I am going to try and have a conversation on the boneyard without resulting into schoolyard taunts. I didn't know that our best big man's coach was a relatively short guy. So maybe your right a small guy who is very perceptive could teach big man skills. I will admit you are more knowledgeable than me so why do you think or what is the prevailing opinion on why in recent years are big men are not improving? Question open to anyone with a theory.

No disaster, low skilled and low basketball IQ recruits are the only reasons. For KO he's had Phil, AB, Kentan, Deandre and Steve now as his bigs for the most part. Phil was limited as we all saw, AB is a shot blocker, KF is an athlete and Steve we will need to watch the next year or 2. Deandre did get better under KO's staffs involvement although I wouldn't consider him a big per se. Heck Niels played the big spot as well as most mentioned during the NC run just because he understood what he had to do in the short minutes he played there. They get these guys to do repetitive practice moves throughout their summers, then they get a couple hours per week prior to the official practices (I've seen these personally in Gampel) in which they work on their weaknesses to ensure that when they hit the court they are ready to be stronger in these areas. As you can see hardly a change in KF or AB in regard to offense. I will take that back, KF has shown the ability to offensive rebound and get into the lane and throw up a jump hook on occasion but no consistency. AB still has trouble getting square on the low block and getting a jump hook to the rim. You can see he knows what he wants to do with the ball but he just can't do it. That move is something they have worked with him on thousands of times alone with a defender with a broom or whatever, yet he is unable to after 3 years. It's not coaching I can promise that.

Steve seems to have skills offensively already but he needs to polish his footwork on the defensive end, we will see. Hope Diarra can learn as well as a healthy Durham, and the year after Brown seems to have some skills so they will have a chance to help him improve those immediately.

Hey I'm not saying that the guys on the staff are great "big man" coaches, maybe they aren't and maybe people have a bitch. But they don't need to be "big" to coach the skills into them. But the players need to have basketball acumen and some natural ability. All the improved over the years had that, Rod-Travis-Jake-Emeka-Josh-Hilton-Thabeet etc etc...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wouldn't you have to think that the problem is
a) Our bigs are poor students
b) Our coaches are poor teachers
c) both?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't you have to think that the problem is
a) Our bigs are poor students
b) Our coaches are poor teachers
c) both?

These guys have been coaching a long time, they know how to. Maybe they aren't Clyde or even George when it comes to it, but as far as "a)" goes here it takes to highest percentage of the blame for sure.

Reaction Score
Any new updates on Donyell? Haven't heard anything new about the CCSU opening or whether he'll join Pikiell's staff.

Reaction Score
He may good at teaching free throws but it doesn't surprise me he is a pg. But I have seen no evidence of his teaching big man specific skills. We need a big man to teach big men. Not saying miller is a bad coach in general just not good at teaching and developing skills that are specific to big men. Since he has been the big man coach I can't name one big man that has improved the way our guards have or the way previous big men have improved.
Who are the previous big men who have improved? There are a few, but they are mostly outliers, not the norm.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Donyell is going the exact opposite route of Gottlieb. He's paying his dues, making con ections, sponsoring AAU, etc.

Gottlieb says he can't afford an assistant coach's pay. No wonder he stole CC's. He must be a total suckass managing finances.

Gottlieb's a total suckass, period.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Rutgers is a sleeping basketball giant which Steve will awaken. He will restore the Scarlet Knights to the halcyon days of Bobby Lloyd, Phil Sellers and Bill Willoughby.

Good luck to you, Steve.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Rutgers has big upside if they are patient and build the program the right way. There is so much talent within 3 hours of Rutgers that they could build a winning program with getting the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th best talents in 3 hot recruiting areas. Plus, the RAC would rock with a good team.

The key is university support. If Rutgers decides basketball is important, I think Rutgers can have a top 25 program.

if my aunt had a dyck she'd be my uncle.

Reaction Score
I get the impression that Donyell gets the spot at Rutgers if he doesn't get the CCSU job.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
There are 351 schools in Division I basketball and they both end up at that chemically-polluted cesspool of failure.

blog.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have been there and the facilities did not look horrible to me. Now I have not been other places besides temple, Maryland, Georgetown and Uconn but I did not see anything that would rate Rutgers horrible compared to the others.
Then you didn't look particular hard.

The RAC is small, old and worn down. RU has no basketball training facility but they do have "a plan" so at least there's that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These guys have been coaching a long time, they know how to. Maybe they aren't Clyde or even George when it comes to it, but as far as "a)" goes here it takes to highest percentage of the blame for sure.
One year? Sure that could be the answer. Year after year? It's a coaching issue.

Reaction Score
One year? Sure that could be the answer. Year after year? It's a coaching issue.

year after year? With who the Same players?

Hmmmm, in this case it's the players. Again, none of the coaches are magicians and the guys we are giving them wouldn't be any better anywhere else, they are what they are. Coaches are at fault for not finding better, teachable players I agree there.

Now if Enoch isn't better by 3rd year like these guys, Houston we have a problem because he is someone they can work with.

Reaction Score
Has his name been tossed around for CCSU?
He interviewed for it last week.

Ken Davis ‏@Kendavis55 Mar 24Connecticut, USA
Source confirms ESPN report that former #UConn star Donyell Marshall interviewed for the @CCSUBlueDevils head coaching job Wed. night

Thanks didn't know that. Good for him, if he wants that I hope he gets a shot.

He's still in the running?

ManthonyCourant 4:31pm via Twitter Web Client
Donyell Marshall had 2nd interview with Central Connecticut yesterday. Jay Young on campus today for his 2nd interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom