Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry this is my first DC thread I've looked at so I never saw why. I'm just behind here in general. Never liked his tape to be honest so I never invested in this recruitment much. But we got him so lets get him right.
Here's the article where he explains why he's staying

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Thank for sharing this. That's a very noble decision of him in dedication to his mother. Really wishing him the best. If Dan can work his magic here we can have a beast down the line. Must be hard for Dad to manage that situation because I definitely understand trying to juggle the "head vs heart" battle.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Great article. I give Hurley and Moore so much credit for their years of work, but I’m also very glad we are in the Big East.

“Certainly, UConn’s move to the Big East a few months after they began recruiting Clingan made a huge difference, his father noted. It would be hard to imagine him turning down Big Ten schools to play in the American Athletic Conference.”

Reaction Score
who was the last top-50 CT kid we landed? Drummond?
Might have been Corny. Corny was top 10, a Parade AA first teamer, I remember Corny’s picture on the front of Parade’s Sunday Morning edition.

Reaction Score
Jordan Williams was much more developed (albeit no where near as tall) to make that impact. I was making the comparison because he doesn’t look as impressive as Jordan in high school. His tape just looks like a 7’1 kid playing against a bunch of guys who are like 6’3. When BC plays the East Catholic and Windsor’s of the division they lose. Hell they actually got blown out by New Britain. I don’t think there’s any way in hell DC is coming in averaging 10 and 9 because he has a lot of work to do.

Like I said before though at one point Andre Drummond was a HORRIBLE 6’10 center in CT in his early stages before he had a crazy body transformation to become one of the most athletically gifted high school players ever. Here’s to hoping DC can go through a similar body transformation because he doesn’t even physically dominate his HS comp. He’s just simply way taller than everyone else. He’s one of the most dominating guys in the CIAC cause he’s the tallest guy ever in the CIAC. Hell Andre got out early and went to a prep school which is really what DC should be doing.
DC led Bristol to wins over Northwest, Windsor, and East Catholic this past season. The year before bristol had trouble beating the better teams (when he was a sophomore with no help).

Reaction Score
Jordan Williams was much more developed (albeit no where near as tall) to make that impact. I was making the comparison because he doesn’t look as impressive as Jordan in high school. His tape just looks like a 7’1 kid playing against a bunch of guys who are like 6’3. When BC plays the East Catholic and Windsor’s of the division they lose. Hell they actually got blown out by New Britain. I don’t think there’s any way in hell DC is coming in averaging 10 and 9 because he has a lot of work to do.

Like I said before though at one point Andre Drummond was a HORRIBLE 6’10 center in CT in his early stages before he had a crazy body transformation to become one of the most athletically gifted high school players ever. Here’s to hoping DC can go through a similar body transformation because he doesn’t even physically dominate his HS comp. He’s just simply way taller than everyone else. He’s one of the most dominating guys in the CIAC cause he’s the tallest guy ever in the CIAC. Hell Andre got out early and went to a prep school which is really what DC should be doing.
They didn’t lose any games this past season, not sure where your getting your info

Reaction Score
Great article. I give Hurley and Moore so much credit for their years of work, but I’m also very glad we are in the Big East.

“Certainly, UConn’s move to the Big East a few months after they began recruiting Clingan made a huge difference, his father noted. It would be hard to imagine him turning down Big Ten schools to play in the American Athletic Conference.”
zOmBiE bIg EaSt

Reaction Score

But, but the Big East doesn’t help with recruiting. According to some on here. Calling rip7774. :)

Reaction Score

Great article. My wife worked in the Bristol school system, knew both Donovan's mother and grandmother and liked them very much. Quality family, quality kid. We're lucky.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
DC led Bristol to wins over Northwest, Windsor, and East Catholic this past season. The year before bristol had trouble beating the better teams (when he was a sophomore with no help).
Yeah I was looking at the year before my apologies. The competition is still lackluster for a kid his size and the tape is underwhelming going against it. Especially when you you compare it to his projection in Hunter Dickenson who was playing at Dematha in the WCAC. Again, noble decision to honor his mother, but I can feel for dad in this case.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah I was looking at the year before my apologies. The competition is still lackluster for a kid his size and the tape is underwhelming going against it. Especially when you you compare it to his projection in Hunter Dickenson who was playing at Dematha in the WCAC. Again, noble decision to honor his mother, but I can feel for dad in this case.
So what’s your deal on all this, you made whatever point you had easily a half dozen posts ago. Why are you so motivated the crap on this kid. It’s just odd.

Reaction Score
Again, noble decision to honor his mother, but I can feel for dad in this case.
His dad is fine and did his son well:

“Bill Clingan said he would have traveled to see his son play wherever he chose, and wanted to make sure it was strictly Donovan’s decision. Now that the process is over, Saturday morning found him a happy, but exhausted father. His son made the call for the right reasons.”

Reaction Score
I feel most coaching staffs have confidence enough in their coaching to be able to develop a 7’1 guy no matter how raw. Like we did with Javonte and Amida over the years except they were a little more athletic and neither were top 75 players. I’m not saying he won’t have an impact, but it certainly won’t be instantly.
DC's agility and ability to score at his size puts him in the top 50, not being a great passer, not just being 7'1".

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Why wait till tomorrow?
As promised. I even roped my Pitt fan buddy into a shot in Clingan’s honor
22F3BFE9-6C45-47D6-87F5-C71107F937B4.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
His dad is fine and did his son well:

“Bill Clingan said he would have traveled to see his son play wherever he chose, and wanted to make sure it was strictly Donovan’s decision. Now that the process is over, Saturday morning found him a happy, but exhausted father. His son made the call for the right reasons.”
In the article I just read Bill talks about how he was considering having Donovan go prep or play for a different AAU team to help him grow as a player. I'm not talking about his decision to go to UConn.

Bill Clingan, Donovan's father, receives calls from prep schools, academies and AAU programs all over New England and elsewhere, trying to persuade him to move his son from Bristol Central and the Boston Spartans AAU program so Donovan can play for their teams. A newly widowed father of two teenage children and a field engineering designer for local energy company Eversource, Bill is navigating this world largely on his own and trying to do what's best for Donovan and the family.

"I'm conflicted because I don't want to force him to do something he doesn't want to do," Bill said. "But at the same time, I want to see him grow more, and I want what's going to help him succeed in the future. So it's a battle that we have. He plays on a great AAU team now, and he's getting the right type of experience. It's just hard to know what's best."

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
DC's agility and ability to score at his size puts him in the top 50, not being a great passer, not just being 7'1".
Is there film of his ability to score against similar competition in AAU? Maybe I missed it like I looked at the wrong season on maxpreps, but I'd be interested in watching.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So what’s your deal on all this, you made whatever point you had easily a half dozen posts ago. Why are you so motivated the crap on this kid. It’s just odd.
He's our next #1 pick. Happy? If you don't like it you don't have to comment. If you want to discuss it or correct some things like others have feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom