Don Brown and GDL's Coaching Styles | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Don Brown and GDL's Coaching Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you say so... but he has more cred, insight, and intel than 95% of the posters here...
His tweet is a non-sequiter. He says the DL is good year in and year out because Hughes preaches fundamentals and mentatlity. Then implies the OL is sucking this year because there's no leader on the OL. The first sentence has nothing to do with the second. If that's insight and intel, he's lacking. Even for the boneyard.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why take you best lineman and put him at three different positions? Why not leave him where's best at, so you know you've got some stability at one position on the line, and then you work to build around him. How do you develop continuity on the OL when you're constantly shuffling guys into different positions?

I asked that question after the UMass game. I was told because they were trying out different combinations and it proves the line has great flexibility. What a bunch of bunk that proved to be. Doesn't matter much now anyway. The team's best/most experienced O-lineman (who is quite possibly merely mediocre) is gone for the season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...I don't know if the system is flawed or not on offense. None of us do, unless you've seen the playbook, and can comprehend it...

The system is flawed because it fails the eye test of at least 30,000 people in the stands and 100,000s more who watch on tv. Heck, Coach Deleone has told us his goals, and they include not putting the defense in a bad position. Remember the below passage from after the Buffalo Game? Hey Coach, you are an offensive coach. Let Coach Brown worry about the D.

Desmond Connor: I wasn’t at the game but watched it and it looked to me like you got a little conservative with the 17-point lead and nursed it a little bit. Is that right or…

Coach Deleone: There’s no doubt about it. Why take unnecessary risks. We came off a game with six sacks. Why take that kind of chance. Now, with that said we weren’t just sitting on the ball all the time. At the end of the game we were but we didn’t convert enough third downs so the answer is, at the end of the game, yeah, I was not going to do anything to put our defense in jeopardy.

That may not be fan-friendly but it’s going to be a way to win a game in that situation. For us it’s about winning a game. We know our people better than anybody and we felt like to give our team the best chance to win I wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardize our defense – nothing.

Reaction Score
His tweet is a non-sequiter. He says the DL is good year in and year out because Hughes preaches fundamentals and mentatlity. Then implies the OL is sucking this year because there's no leader on the OL. The first sentence has nothing to do with the second. If that's insight and intel, he's lacking. Even for the boneyard.

It's Twitter - not the New York Times. Check his timeline... There where other tidbits.

Reaction Score
It's Twitter - not the New York Times. Check his timeline... There where other tidbits.

I have no interest in researching his timeline. I responded to what you quoted, if you think he's right, fine. I'm not going to try and change your mind.

I will continue, however, to question the logic behind constant shuffling on the OL. How do you know what works best if you're constantly shuffling? How does one unit get the chance to prove it's the best with the constant shuffling. It's irrelevant now, with Masters down, our best lineman is done, and I expect a terrible situation to get even worse.

For all the talk about players not performing on the OL, I seem to remember Foley taking lineman most of us had never heard of, guys with very few offers, and turning them into one of the best run blocking lines in the country for a few years. No, they couldn't pass protect then. But they can't do either now, and since GDL has taken over, there is no denying the OL has gotten worse.

Reaction Score
I don't know fellas, all I know is this system, if we're stuck with the same coaches, they better find players that can run it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Medic - I really don't have a clue as to where we are at with systems and personnel, but the problem we are at - has got to be a combination of the two. That's a really nice article though. Nice find, thanks for posting. The one thing I haven't seen, from us, which is a part of zone blocking, is the cut blocks. If we're going to do it, teach it properly, and go out and put the defense on the rug. Cut blocks don't have to be dangerous, as long as you teach it right.

Somebody somewhere asked - who else is running a pro-set offense wiht zone blocking in college ball - well - our league partner - is.

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with the talent. We have the best QB we have had in years. I-AA linemen would be able to block better for us in a different scheme. We have a running back who was pretty damn good last year.

GDL is running he same garbage that got P fired in Syracuse in addition to the Wildcat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom