Don Brown and GDL's Coaching Styles | The Boneyard

Don Brown and GDL's Coaching Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seen a couple of different articles and posts here about DeLeone's abrasive coaching style. There was the Courant's article about Ryan Griffin and Ryan being quoted about being George's whipping boy. And there was a post on here about DeLeone going on rants at camps and being a towards a coach at a team meet and greet. I'll take the anecdotes on the message board with a grain of salt, but it definitely seems like George has that mushroom cap streak in his coaching philosophy.

And that's a problem. If George is cussing and berating the players in practice, they'll tune him out real quick when things don't go right. I've yet to hear offensive players raving about playing for George or praising his coaching. Same goes for the media. I don't recall too many articles, blogs or tweets about George motivating his players or praising them.

There's a lot of different ways to motivate, drive and get improvement out of players. The barking style worked for Jim Calhoun, but he had a fucccckkktton of wins, championships and successful players to validate his style. Under DeLeone, the offense has gotten worse.

Also, GDL is breaking in a dramatically different blocking and running philosophy. A style that the upper classmen weren't recruited to play.

Good rule of thumb when you are re-inventing a corporate philosophy or coaching scheme. Berating the existing staff or players for not "getting" the new style rarely works. It's PP's and GDL's decision to implement a new style and the burden is on them to teach and train the existing personnel.

Conversely, the defensive players talk about how fun it is to play for Don Brown and how he allows them to play to their strengths and be aggressive. And the defense has improved under Don Brown.

Bigger picture is that there's a good possibility that during practices the offensive players are getting their collective assssseessss chewed while over on the other side the defense is yucking it up and bonding with the coaches.

I'm not trying to build up a strawman just to poke at PP. But what has been reported consistently for a year and a half now is that GDL has a much more abrasive style with his players than Don Brown has with his players. These kids aren't stupid. One group has responded and improved, one group has tuned out and regressed.

Something for Warde to look at as he evaluates PP's performance (And according to Warde it's more than wins and losses. It's in-game decisions, practices and overall team direction). As the head coach he has chosen to have two coordinators who communicate in drastically different philosophies. He should have to answer for that decision.

Reaction Score
I have been to three open practices the past two years. The most vocal coach by far at the practices was Brown, both in getting on his players when they made a mistake and offering praise when they did something right. Brown seemed to be a confident leader who loves his job because he seemed to be having fun out there.

Reaction Score
Understand the point you are trying to make but I think you need to re-read this as it pertains to GDL and Griffin: As you point out - nor different than Calhoun's or Geno's approach with certain players. They may be di*cks to certain players and ride them hard but certain players embrace it - seeems Ryan did. I'm sure Brown is the same way! Good coaches/managers adapt their to the players/employee.

"Sometimes I'll sit down and watch games from four years ago, like the Notre Dame game, and I look like a different tight end now," Griffin said. "And that's a credit to the coaches. You know, I just try to be coachable. They know what they're doing and it's working out for me; have to give it to the coaches. [Offensive coordinator and tight ends coach George] DeLeone helped me a lot. He's worked with some good coaches and some good players. Coach [Paul] Pasqualoni coached Jason Witten [with the Dallas Cowboys] so you have to listen to what they're telling you — and I've learned from my mistakes. "To be honest with you, my freshman year, I wasn't a very good player when I look at it now. Technically, I wasn't very sound; my stance was all messed up, a bunch of little things. In this game, you always try to get better every day and that's what I tried to do."

He had to get better mentally, too. That's where DeLeone came in. DeLeone, who likes to tweak players, took Griffin on early as a project. He didn't make it easy on him. He liked what he saw in Griffin when he arrived and tried to build up both Griffin and Delahunt. The proof is in their progress. Griffin is on the John Mackey Award watch list. The award goes to the nation's top tight end."Tweak, huh?" Griffin said, laughing. "That's a good word, 'tweaked.' At the time I didn't know it was for a reason. He can be a mean guy. Everyone knows that and I got the brunt of it a couple times. He means well. He really just wants to see players develop and you've got to love him for that.

http://articles.courant.com/2012-10...griffin-and-delahunt-pasqualoni-john-delahunt

Reaction Score
Coaches can be SOBs. Sure. But, to my eye, that OL is walking the fine line of giving up and I think it's because they don't understand what to do to be successful. And if that's correct, then it's on the coaches and being an SOB is the least of the problem.

Reaction Score
Coaches can be SOBs. Sure. But, to my eye, that OL is walking the fine line of giving up and I think it's because they don't understand what to do to be successful. And if that's correct, then it's on the coaches and being an SOB is the least of the problem.

plus 1000.

Reaction Score

Interesting comment yesterday on the subject:

TheFatWhiteGuy Oct 22, 7:52pm via Twitter for iPhone
DLine is good year in & out because Hughes is fundamentals and mentality. OLine needs leadership ON the line. Whos providing the "follow me"

Reaction Score
Interesting comment yesterday on the subject:

TheFatWhiteGuy Oct 22, 7:52pm via Twitter for iPhone
DLine is good year in & out because Hughes is fundamentals and mentality. OLine needs leadership ON the line. Whos providing the "follow me"

Nice find. Are we the only football team in the country college or pro who has their O-line coach up in the booth calling plays?

What a stupid self destructive move that turned out to be, and to make it even worse is the refusal to admit you were wrong during the season and correct your mistake while there is still time to win games. Foley is still on the sideline for crying out loud.

pj

Reaction Score
Coaches have to be able to get their players excited -- excited to come to the practice field, excited to give effort, believing that effort will pay off, excited to leave it all on the field during games. Brown does that. DeLeone doesn't seem to.

Maybe they system he's trying to build would work given time and the right players. But his track record of producing mediocre offenses from Syracuse on, and a clear failure this year, gives us little reason to give him time.

Reaction Score
Nice find. Are we the only football team in the country college or pro who has their O-line coach up in the booth calling plays?

What a stupid self destructive move that turned out to be, and to make it even worse is the refusal to admit you were wrong during the season and correct your mistake while there is still time to win games. Foley is still on the sideline for crying out loud.

I think you missed his point... "OLine needs leadership ON the line. Whos providing the "follow me" -- I read that as talking about the players, not the coaches. It didn't say ON the sidelines.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
On the comments about JC and other drill sergeant type coaches, while JC did lose a player here or there every so often, it is pretty safe to say that JC always had the kid's best interests at heart and the few who did not initially realize this were the players who departed.

As far as the love that players feel for Brown vs DeLeone, it id very safe to state that football players (who approach this level) by nature are aggressive and would normally prefer an attacking style of play allowing them to be physical and use their athleticism.

One (of many) areas where what GDL is doing would not garner praise is that he has changed the line's philosophy from an aggressive, physical style to a passive, reactive one. Instead of being able to deliver the blow, the linemen now are asked to receive it.

From what I understand where GDL has failed is that he is either unwilling or unable to fully communicate what he wants from the linemen and what their responsibilities are and becomes very condescending and demeaning when they appear to be poorly instructed. This and his (I'm guessing insecurity driven) dismissive manor towards other offensive assistants has me wondering if he fully understands the blocking schemes he wants to run.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think you missed his point... "OLine needs leadership ON the line. Whos providing the "follow me" -- I read that as talking about the players, not the coaches. It didn't say ON the sidelines.

How involved was Foley in recruiting lineman? If so, he did a crappy job.

Last year Foley was coaching the line and it wasn't very good. And the two best lineman graduated from a line he couldn't get to mediocre.

Reaction Score

I assumed the Hank Hughes reference meant he was talking about a coaching leader.

Reaction Score
On the comments about JC and other drill sergeant type coaches, while JC did lose a player here or there every so often, it is pretty safe to say that JC always had the kid's best interests at heart and the few who did not initially realize this were the players who departed.

As far as the love that players feel for Brown vs DeLeone, it id very safe to state that football players (who approach this level) by nature are aggressive and would normally prefer an attacking style of play allowing them to be physical and use their athleticism.

One (of many) areas where what GDL is doing would not garner praise is that he has changed the line's philosophy from an aggressive, physical style to a passive, reactive one. Instead of being able to deliver the blow, the linemen now are asked to receive it.

From what I understand where GDL has failed is that he is either unwilling or unable to fully communicate what he wants from the linemen and what their responsibilities are and becomes very condescending and demeaning when they appear to be poorly instructed. This and his (I'm guessing insecurity driven) dismissive manor towards other offensive assistants has me wondering if he fully understands the blocking schemes he wants to run.
The root of the problem is it's everyones fault but Deleones and Pasqualoni is afraid to address this. He's letting the old grouch screw up his team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The root of the problem is it's everyones fault but Deleones and Pasqualoni is afraid to address this. He's letting the old grouch screw up his team.
Bingo!

Reaction Score
Curious - Is this coming directly from a player?

pj

Reaction Score

Last year Foley was coaching the line and it wasn't very good. And the two best lineman graduated from a line he couldn't get to mediocre.

Foley was coaching, but they had adopted a zone blocking scheme at GDL's instruction. If the line wasn't good last year, the OC has to share the blame.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Foley was coaching, but they had adopted a zone blocking scheme at GDL's instruction. If the line wasn't good last year, the OC has to share the blame.

Ok. So Foley gets credit but no blame?

Or are you suggesting that zone blocking doesn't work?

pj

Reaction Score

No, but coaching is a team game and the guy at the top has ultimate responsibility.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Lots of good responses. I think FCF made my point more clearly and more succinctly in his last paragraph.

As for the comments about Foley. I don't know how well he picked out talent that is on the team, but any player that is playing on the line was recruited as a drive blocker, not a zone/read blocker.

And that's one of my beef's with what I've read and heard anecdotally. DeLeone needs to understand that the players were here first and were taught one type of blocking techniques. He, as is his right as the OC and OLine coach, chose to change the blocking techniques, but needs to have more of a guiding hand than a sledgehammer when teaching them.

When you are completely reversing learned behavior, positive reinforcement and instilling belief is paramount because the players are going to screw up while learning it.

Reaction Score

I believe you are being difficult on purpose. Anyone who has watched a Uconn game during Foley's tenure knows he can coach quality o-line play. And as for talent, he has one guy starting on each of last year's Super Bowl teams. His ability should not be in question.

Enter GDL and his zone-blocking. Season 1: Foley is in charge, but the unit struggles mightily even with two experienced leaders in Petrus and M Ryan. So maybe you can justify the removal of Foley by saying he is unable to teach GDL's zone schemes and techniques. Seems fair.
However, after an offseason and 8 rough performances (9 if you include the spring game where Wirth destroyed the O-line) with GDL in charge, Foley can no longer be the scapegoat. The O-line personal is largely the same. Yes, you lost Petrus and MRyan, but this is college football; everyone loses top O-lineman every year. It CANNOT be a valid excuse if every other team in the nation suffers the same losses you do each year.

That leaves one lonely option: GDL and his o-line blocking schemes are the problem. Either the schemes themselves are garbage or GDL is blatantly unable to teach them to Foley or the o-line (including smart, capable and experienced lineman like Petrus, MRyan, Masters, Friend, and Bennett). There is no way Foley and all those lineman all took part in some stupidity pact and communily drank Kool-Aid laced with high school level blocking ability and IQ. Yet suddenly, Petrus and MRyan lose all their All-BE talent and ability and the O-line, and now running game, is in the toilet. Nonsense!! We KNOW the talent and ability was/is there with Foley and the O-line. Uconn did not fall off some talent cliff! We also know zone-blocking can and does work. One possibility remains: GDL, with all his wallpaper, is the incredibly weak link.

Coach P says things along the lines of " work in progress", "execution"(Gasp!!), or "things are gonna get worse before they get better" and he could be right. Or he could be wrong and things only get worse.

So far, all signs point to the latter.

Reaction Score

The line was much better at the end of last year than it was in the beginning. Noticeably and unarguably better. Same thing in 2010. That is not happening this year. What's different?

Reaction Score

Syracuse boys BB play zone. Someone is responsible for picking players that fit into that scheme of defense. Assume an assistant coach is responsible for defense; new coach comes in and same players and says "we now press man to man full court"; think the old assistant coach is going to be very successful getting those back line 6'10" guys to press.
Not saying players and assistant won't try, learn all the footwork and moves, it's still just basketball defense - but if they are just not good at it all the studying, training, coaching isn't going to change that. Not that "press man to man" can't work, just that these guys can't do it.
Didn't Chargers have on of the lightest OL's when had Terrell Davis and good zone blocking team. If you are Alabama and get best of the best, probably are big, fast, agile and play whatever style blocking; get Uconn type talent and have to look at attributes you want most as aren't going to get a player with all the attributes as he's going to Alabama. If less agile but bigger guys better for drive blocking that's what you are going to get if that's the running style you want; new coach wants attributes better for zone blocking - good luck until your 4th year where your RS Sophomores are your guys that you picked for zone blocking (1st year recruiting class was fhcRE guys) 'cause your current OL just doesn't have attributes you need.

Reaction Score
Didn't we have a 1200 yard rusher last season? Was that ALL because of Petrus and Ryan? What is so dramatically different this season that we can't even get positive yards rushing?

Reaction Score

Didn't UConn have a 1,000 yard rusher last year? I think the line did a decent job in the run, not so much in the pass (also under the new GDL zone blocking scheme). This year they can't even get on the plus side in terms of yards rushing in some games. What has changed?......the person primarily responsible for the line coaching. Could be coincidence but I doubt it. I think it is a combination of some lesser talent and lesser coaching. Invariably there is at least one lineman going back to the huddle looking confused after a broken play / sack. Either they aren't getting the scheme or the scheme is way too complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom