Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In this world it us difficult to discern whether a few different sources mentioning the same piece of information is corroborating evidence or merely repeating comments from the same source.

It has been mentioned a few times about UConn being viewed as a P-5 addition if added (I only remember seeing SDSU mentioned once) but there is no guarantee that this will be the case if we do get the offer. One item most have overlooked (and is the reason media partners don't give blanket pro-rata shares for additional schools) is that with this, a conference could just add members at will, diluting the quality of the product without any financial ramifications.

My guess is that if we or SDSU are coupled with a current P-5 then there will be a pro-rata share but if it is only a pair of G-5 additions there will be a lesser share.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It has been mentioned a few times about UConn being viewed as a P-5 addition if added (I only remember seeing SDSU mentioned once) but there is no guarantee that this will be the case if we do get the offer.
I agree. There also is no guarantee that we would actually get the full value of a pro rata share. It's possible that the big 12 might sprinkle some of that money around to the other members. Even if it does not, our share will be reduced by our buy in, witch, intern, could be sprinkled among the other members.

Reaction Score
True, but with the Big East media contract coming up for renegotiation, Fox may see value in taking their highest value property out of that Conference and ESPN may see value in regaining control of our games.
Or fox could see the value in keeping us in the big east and paying us 1/4 of what they would be paying us in the new league. ESPN hasn’t seemed to respect us in the past maybe the latest title has changed that….if that was the case though and espn did value us wouldn’t they want us in the acc which they control for a longer time at a better rate

Reaction Score
The current TV money UConn receives for football is bottom of the barrel G5. I don't like it but that's what it is. It's a lousy deal.
That was a tradeoff for not having all your games behind a paywall and basically having all your games televised. CBS sports does a nice job with theri quality/production. That one game against FIU on + was seizure inducing.

CL82

Reaction Score
Or fox could see the value in keeping us in the big east and paying us 1/4 of what they would be paying us in the new league. ESPN hasn’t seemed to respect us in the past maybe the latest title has changed that….if that was the case though and espn did value us wouldn’t they want us in the acc which they control for a longer time at a better rate
Yes, for fox the analysis would be can our paying 33%, theoretically, of UConn's big 12 pro rata share ($10M, roughly) be offset by the fact that the value of the big east conference drops if Connecticut is not a part of it? So right now Fox pays us roughly $4 million per year. The difference between what they pay for us now and what they would for pay us as a full share member of the big 12 is roughly $6 million ($10M-&4M). I think the answer to that is, probably.

Say conference rights for the big east with us in the conference is worth $8 million per team, but without us is worth $7 million per team, then it is more profitable for Fox to pay us their portion of a full share in the big 12 then to pay a premium for the entire big east conference in the next media deal. Also keep in mind that they also would have access to our football games, if they want them, which they don't currently have.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, for fox the analysis would be can our paying 33%, theoretically, of UConn's big 12 pro rata share ($10M, roughly) be offset by the fact that the value of the big east conference drops if Connecticut is not a part of it? So right now Fox pays us roughly $4 million per year. The difference between what they pay for us now and what they would for pay us as a full share member of the big 12 is roughly $6 million ($10M-&4M). I think the answer to that is, probably.

Say conference rights for the big east with us in the conference is worth $8 million per team, but without us is worth $7 million per team, then it is more profitable for Fox to pay us their portion of a full share in the big 12 then to pay a premium for the entire big east conference in the next media deal. Also keep in mind that they also would have access to our football games, if they want them, which they don't currently have.
I get all this, but I don't think the math works that way. You could do this with Houston, Cinci, BYU and UCF and you couldn't make the math work. The real question is: can this school, if added to a P5 conference, step up and become a more reliable draw on TV. For basketball, UConn is there. Football, based on name recognition from basketball, maybe? I think they see the huge alumni base at UCF and are gambling that they can step up. Cinci football is very good, and Ohio loves football. Houston is a huge school like UCF, and has some history of success in both sports. BYU has it's own built in fan base nationally, and history on the football side (and some history at basketball).

For example, you simply can't project UMass making that leap. Temple has shown it can't do it. UConn was given a shot and briefly did it. Pac is looking at SMU because they were bigtime in football, it's a rich school with good academics, and even basketball was good at one time. So they project as possibly making the leap.

CL82

Reaction Score
I get all this, but I don't think the math works that way. You could do this with Houston, Cinci, BYU and UCF and you couldn't make the math work.
That's a simplified example, obviously, but I think it works. What's giving you pause about it? I'm just curious if you're seeing something that I'm not.

The real question is: can this school, if added to a P5 conference, step up and become a more reliable draw on TV.
Sort of. The real question is do ESPN and Fox believe it brings added value, for whatever reason. That could be ratings, it could be brand awareness, it could be devaluation of the Big East. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the big 12 network partners are willing to pay a full pro rata share for us. Apparently, they are.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's a simplified example, obviously, but I think it works. What's giving you pause about it? I'm just curious if you're seeing something that I'm not.

Sort of. The real question is do ESPN and Fox believe it brings added value, for whatever reason. That could be ratings, it could be brand awareness, it could be devaluation of the Big East. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the big 12 network partners are willing to pay a full pro rata share for us. Apparently, they are.
I don't think we're disagreeing here. Take Miss State out of the SEC and are they independently valuable enough to be added to the SEC? No. Not even closer. Teams playing a P5 slate of games are going to get more attention, generate more fans, and grow their ratings numbers and fanbase. So I don't think Fox or ESPN are running the numbers based on the Big East payout. It's more: UConn basketball blew up when in a top league, can football do that? Now it's Fox has UConn hoop. B12 would be ESPN and Fox share UConn hoops and football, each of which could be boosted by presence in the league.

I do think they run that straight "we have those rights" numbers for a school like FSU or Clemson. Because it's pure ESPN on both the SEC and ACC (minus CBS), so ESPN would likely not want to pay up for something they have 100% of now. It's the biggest flaw in the whole "ACC is doomed" argument.

Reaction Score

Well thought out except for the fact that it’s reported fox doesn’t want to pay the full share

CL82

Reaction Score
Well thought out except for the fact that it’s reported fox doesn’t want to pay the full share
Not according to the two articles in the tweet I posted earlier. Here let me put it here as well:

Reaction Score
Not according to the two articles in the tweet I posted earlier. Here let me put it here as well:

I must be reading it wrong, I took that to mean Espn has agreed to the clause where UConn could get a full share and fox would not give full shares. Lol am I way off?

CL82

Reaction Score
I must be reading it wrong, I took that to mean Espn has agreed to the clause where UConn could get a full share and fox would not give full shares. Lol am I way off?
D9D1B497-F8FA-4099-93C1-D525BF5C7C1F.jpeg

So this says that the contract gives full shares for P5 members. Yormark has said that you can is treated as a P5 member for the purposes of the contract.

Reaction Score
View attachment 89064
So this says that the contract gives full shares for P5 members. Yormark has said that you can is treated as a P5 member for the purposes of the contract.
They may have intentionally added Uconn and a handful of others into the contract at the time it was agreed to. That would’ve been smart for the Big 12 to do knowing that they would likely expand with certain AAC or independent schools. They also did due diligence on UConn a few years ago, and the results of their findings were mostly positive from what we’ve heard.

Reaction Score
S
View attachment 89064
So the previous tweet stating espn has agreed to the clause and fox hasn’t doesn’t that mean fox would not want to give us the full share we would need for acceptance?

Reaction Score
Under any scenario you can come up with, the B12 is a much better long term play over the NEWBIE. Far superior for football and baseball. Better for Womens basketball and even better for mens basketball. And the best part is we never have to pretend that DePaul and Butler matter.

CL82

Reaction Score
S

So the previous tweet stating espn has agreed to the clause and fox hasn’t doesn’t that mean fox would not want to give us the full share we would need for acceptance?
I mean if you want to talk about specific tweets do what I do just put them in the post, and I'm happy to do so. My understanding is that the current interpretation is that Connecticut gets a full share. But I'm happy to discuss as many different tweets as you feel like posting in here. But I am not gonna keep going to search for them. Sound fair?

Reaction Score
Under any scenario you can come up with, the B12 is a much better long term play over the NEWBIE. Far superior for football and baseball. Better for Womens basketball and even better for mens basketball. And the best part is we never have to pretend that DePaul and Butler matter.
way to close

Reaction Score
But the teams sure will miss those bus trips to Newark....

Reaction Score
I mean if you want to talk about specific tweets do what I do just put them in the post, and I'm happy to do so. My understanding is that the current interpretation is that Connecticut gets a full share. But I'm happy to discuss as many different tweets as you feel like posting in here. But I am not gonna keep going to search for them. Sound fair?
Sorry I was commenting on your tweet from Jim Williams, I’m interpreting what he says differently than you….fox not agreeing to the pro rata clause means they won’t give the full share, like I said I could be interpreting it wrong..

Reaction Score
All you need is an invitation!

Reaction Score
Sorry I was commenting on your tweet from Jim Williams, I’m interpreting what he says differently than you….fox not agreeing to the pro rata clause means they won’t give the full share, like I said I could be interpreting it wrong..
You're entirely missing his point. He's posting the reply to the Jim Williams tweet with the snippets from the articles showing why he's wrong. According to CBS and The Oklahoman all P5 teams will get the full share from both Fox and ESPN, and Brett Yormark has stated UConn will be treated the same as a P5 addition

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
For many years we were kicked to the curb in this realignment in favor of schools like BC, Rutgers, Syracuse.

But, now frankly, most conferences would be lucky to have us right now. National champions in BB with a historic run in tourney, a respectable bowl and great game vs Marshall and nothing but sunny days on the horizon. Women’s basketball stands alone for perennial Final 8/4/NC.

When you look at the train wreck some of these teams we were passed over for - and what they have become (BC etc.) frankly the ACC or Big 12 would be fortunate to have us. We are growing in all the right ways and like Hurley said “better catch us now.”
The Big 12 is the wrong move if UConn is truly interested in being what they say in their mission statement. It’s a move downward. Geographically, it blows. If the goal is being in a P5, UConn needs to be in the Big 10. You are who you hang out with. We are a positive and powerful addition to any conference. We fit. Big 10 has the most top 20 academic schools in the country (I’m not sure if the Big 12 has any). It’s the best athletic conference. We are a NYC market. We’ll make money for them.

University of Connecticut Office of the President | Mission

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is the wrong move if UConn is truly interested in being what they say in their mission statement. It’s a move downward. That’s why UConn needs to be in the Big 10. You are who you hang out with. We would be a positive addition. We fit. Big 10 has the most top 20 academic schools in the country. It’s the best athletic conference. We are a NYC market. We’ll make a ton of money for them.

University of Connecticut Office of the President | Mission

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

That's so cute. You actually think this has something to do with academics......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom