Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
We went to a FB conference!
Come on August. That was a cobbled up POS where everyone was looking to get out from day 1. For whatever reason, Cincinnati and UH were willing to pay for way better coaches than UConn was in FB.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Come on August. That was a cobbled up POS where everyone was looking to get out from day 1. For whatever reason, Cincinnati and UH were willing to pay for way better coaches than UConn was in FB.
Those schools you mentioned plus UCF USF Tulane, blah blah blah were football!

Reaction Score
Those schools you mentioned plus UCF USF Tulane, blah blah blah were football!
You seem to be forgetting that the Big East urged UConn to upgrade in football and the FB schools bounced and the BB schools said they were done with FB. They left UConn holding the bag.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And now we can play most of them in the New Big 12 too! Don’t forget TCU and BYU!

I hope in Year 2 we add Tulsa and Tulane, good academics! Big markets! Yes!

Reaction Score
The only way you could sell me on the Big 12 would be if some combination of Cuse, BC, and Pitt (heck, even Temple) were also joining. Otherwise, you are right back to being a geographical outlier in a league comprised of schools you share little in common with.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they’d surpass that in 2 games. Football only plays 6 games at home
I mean we will never be Michigan or Ohio State in Football so we shouldn't try to be Minnesota or Purdue either. BB has spoiled this fanbase. If you're not at the tippity top of the sport you shouldn't try. In its first ever game at The Rent this program pimp smacked Indiana.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I mean we will never be Michigan or Ohio State in Football so we shouldn't try to be Minnesota or Purdue either. BB has spoiled this fanbase. If you're not at the tippity top of the sport you shouldn't try. In its first ever game at The Rent this program pimp smacked Indiana.
I remember vividly hearing people say we could never be Georgetown or St John's in basketball. They said that a realistic goal would be more seasons over .500 than sub .500 (all games, not BE), maybe a couple tournament appearances each decade and a stray run to the top half of the BE.

August_West

Reaction Score
You seem to be forgetting that the Big East urged UConn to upgrade in football and the FB schools bounced and the BB schools said they were done with FB. They left UConn holding the bag.
I remember all the FB schools that meant a crap getting life rafts for a decade straight. Not all at once. Should’ve seen the writing then. Maybe go check the years.

Reaction Score
I remember vividly hearing people say we could never be Georgetown or St John's in basketball. They said that a realistic goal would be more seasons over .500 than sub .500 (all games, not BE), maybe a couple tournament appearances each decade and a stray run to the top half of the BE.
Before my time, but I remember how giddy the state was during the Dream Season and before that, one of my teachers at school telling the whole class how unbelievable tiny little UConn winning the NIT was. Literally writing down how improbable it was on the chalk board. We got what 7 seasons in the BE as FB member? Maybe less before we got rug pulled and half the fanbase thinks that was enough.

August_West

Reaction Score
I remember vividly hearing people say we could never be Georgetown or St John's in basketball.
Lol making that equivocation. I already outlined why that doesn’t wash.

Reaction Score
I remember all the FB schools that meant a crap getting life rafts for a decade straight. Not all at once. Should’ve seen the writing then.
So the school must have a had reason for not poleaxing the program then. I am sure it wasn't so we could languish along with UMass as New England independents.

August_West

Reaction Score
So the school must have a had reason for not poleaxing the program then. I am sure it wasn't so we could languish along with UMass as New England independents.
Nope. They tried to set us up for something bigger. We blew it. Some of it due to us, some of it beyond our control. That’s life.

Reaction Score
Nope. They tried to set us up for something bigger. We blew it. Some of it due to us, some of it beyond our control. That’s life.
What is something bigger and how did we blow it? They got played time and again by the ACC. The something bigger may or may not be a Big12 invite. Crazy to think that the FB program was give 6 or 7 seasons as BE/BCS participant, had the rug pulled on them, and that is it. The state invested hundreds of millions in upgrading FB for a possible P5 invite but its not the one you want so we should just quit and go home? I'll say again. If that happens they will likely be joined by SU, Pitt, and BC in less time than the time in between our last 2 men's national titles.

August_West

Reaction Score
What is something bigger and how did we blow it? They got played time and again by the ACC. The something bigger may or may not be a Big12 invite. Crazy to think that the FB program was give 6 or 7 seasons as BE/BCS participant, had the rug pulled on them, and that is it. The state invested hundreds of millions in upgrading FB for a possible P5 invite but it’s not the one you want so we should just quit and go home? I'll say again. If that happens they will likely be joined by SU, Pitt, and BC in less time than the time in between our last 2 men's national titles.
How does 2002-2013 = 6 or 7 years? And then another 6 in a football league? Yeah we got played by ACC , we also got played by Big12 WAY more recently, or don’t you remember?

Reaction Score
Tell me what our football ceiling is, jimmy the Greek.

Under the right circumstances there is no reason UCONN cannot accomplish what Cincy accomplished last year and Tulane accomplished this year out of the AAC no less. If we were to join the B12 the goal would be the conference title which would put us in the playoffs. Give Jim Mora a QB on Orlovsky's level with B12 recruiting and it could happen.

The transfer portal funnels talent to the P5, join that club and recruiting will take off.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Under the right circumstances there is no reason UCONN cannot accomplish what Cincy accomplished last year out of the AAC no less. If we were to join the B12 the goal would be the conference title which would put us in the playoffs.
You seem like a big football fan and a big UConn fan. I respect both. But jeez I don’t know much about football but know why cinci could do that. I bet noey does too

Reaction Score
Thanks for you honesty, yeah you made my case. I’m not torpedoing our basketball program for THAT. :)
B12 is the premier BB league. We just have to beat Pitt, SU and BC there 1st. The ceiling I thinks is what they were in the Big East 8-4, 9-3.

Reaction Score
BB has spoiled this fanbase. If you're not at the tippity top of the sport you shouldn't try.

While I wholeheartedly agree, I will defend the fanbase in this sense: UConn's situation - because of how late we were to football, and how badly we got screwed in realignment - is very unique. Time may very well prove that the interests of basketball are tethered, but the perception, at least in the short-term, is going to be that one comes at the expense of the other. It sucks, but as you've pointed out, this sort of infighting is what happens when you're pinched financially.

August_West

Reaction Score
B12 is the premier BB league. We just have to beat Pitt, SU and BC there 1st. The ceiling I thinks is what they were in the Big East 8-4, 9-3.
You do know that it will be 13 years before your proposal can happen, right? And if that’s not the case the whole system of college athletics was set aflame and it won’t matter where ANY team not in B1G or SEC is. Seriously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom