Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
Those schools you mentioned have a lot of alumni scattered all over the country.
That's a lot of eyes on UConn that would be unbelievable national exposure that they will never get staying in the Big East
We haveva segment of the fanbase that thinks any boost to football comes at the expense of basketball. They hate FB, but will instead say "I'm fine with FB", but in reality they're fine with FB remaining on the same level of UMass FB. Something that that even back in 1990 they would NEVER say about BB. Remaining on the level of UMass for BB was never palatable. It shouldn't for FB either.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
How many games each? One of those may be closed to maxed out. The other is no where close. Think
I can’t even begin to describe how stupid posting those attendance numbers with zero additional detail is.

The implication in his post is that there is no overlap in either of the populations of fans attending both of these sets of games as if it’s some sort of unique vote for which sport they support more. I attended both UConn football and UConn basketball games this year- probably because I’m a UConn fan!

Reaction Score
1st of all I don’t think it is coming, 2nd of all if it ever did it wouldn’t be a P5 offer, it would be some kind of cut rate deal. We were stuck in a purgatory with Houston UCF and Cincinnati, now we want to go back to it and take Less money than them ? Screw that. Without Texas and Oklahoma and god knows who gets picked off next. And then not get paid as much as Cincinnati to land in that mess? No thanks. I’m content to watch it from the BigEast until something real comes along.
The one thing the Big 12 has going for them is that there's 10+ teams outside of the Big 12 who will be picked up by the Power 2 before they even look at any Big 12 schools.

It's why the Big 12 could remain the really unattractive sister power conference if things somehow stay a power 3 instead of just a power 2.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FWIW the opposite may be true. I haven't quite made up my mind on this issue, but my wife (a prof) says the B12 on average is leagues worse than what we're pulling in now--especially with Texas gone. We would probably lose much more than the 30 million in research funding.
This has me very curious. Are we currently receiving research funds due to our membership in the BE? If we are, what is the source of these funds?

Reaction Score
Idk how you take one big revenue sport and leave the others in the NCAA. I think it would be a messy split.
When they leave they're not going to be bogged down by ncaa limits intemded to level the playing field

Reaction Score
I can’t even begin to describe how stupid posting those attendance numbers with zero additional detail is.

The implication in his post is that there is no overlap in either of the populations of fans attending both of these sets of games as if it’s some sort of unique vote for which sport they support more. I attended both UConn football and UConn basketball games this year- probably because I’m a UConn fan!
Ill say may be it was a brain fart. I have them too.

Reaction Score
Those schools you mentioned have a lot of alumni scattered all over the country.
That's a lot of eyes on UConn that would be unbelievable national exposure that they will never get staying in the Big East
We’d be happy to join the BigTen. Make that happen!

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Research funding and academic rankings in the B12 are not where UConn aims to be. I believe we would be the best ranked school in the conference. Research $ is the part of conference affiliation that we as fans don't often think about, but is really important when these decisions come to a vote.
Who is the highest ranked in the current BE?

At the moment, we are #1 in the BE at #88, Georgetown is #2 at #92 and Marquette #228 is the only other BE school in the top 250. Cincinnati is #51, Kansas is #72 and Iowa St is #77, all ahead of us. Central Florida, West Virginia and Texas Tech are all in the top 150 and Baylor #207 and BYU #219 are ahead of the BE's third ranked research school.

If research dollars are that important and affiliation is what matters here, we should jump at the B-12 even of it were a loss in other areas.

Reaction Score
Who is the highest ranked in the current BE?

At the moment, we are #1 in the BE at #88, Georgetown is #2 at #92 and Marquette #228 is the only other BE school in the top 250. Cincinnati is #51, Kansas is #72 and Iowa St is #77, all ahead of us. Central Florida, West Virginia and Texas Tech are all in the top 150 and Baylor #207 and BYU #219 are ahead of the BE's third ranked research school.

If research dollars are that important and affiliation is what matters here, we should jump at the B-12 even of it were a loss in other areas.
Admittedly i haven't been on campus in a LONG time. Last time i was there cows on campus. I bet there are cows on some Big12 campuses!

Reaction Score
The one thing the Big 12 has going for them is that there's 10+ teams outside of the Big 12 who will be picked up by the Power 2 before they even look at any Big 12 schools.

It's why the Big 12 could remain the really unattractive sister power conference if things somehow stay a power 3 instead of just a power 2.
Likely true. I think between the programs currently in the Big 12, PAC and ACC with some eventually going to the B1G and SEC, it could very likely be the Power 2 and the Other 2, with the Big 12 being one of the Other 2. That's good enough for me!

Reaction Score
Idk man, ask the B1G.

The only way for UCONN to get a B1G invite is to get UCONN football firing on all cylinders. Joining the B12 would accomplish that mi$$ion. Mora combined with the B12 will bring football recruiting and football success to a level we have never seen before. THEN and ONLY THEN do we become attractive to the B1G.

Alternatively, turn down a B12 offer and Mora probably bolts for greener pastures as I'm sure he would not tolerate such a loser mentality from the school. Lose Mora and we are right back to one win football seasons. No B1G offer will ever come under those circumstances.

Reaction Score

This appears to be where it is headed. And wouldn't we like to be there already, when SU, Pitt, Ville and BC are looking for a life raft?

Reaction Score
2022-23 Home Attendance:

Men’s Basketball = 194,600
Football ======== 132,500
FB attendance would be significantly higher with BIG 12 schedule plus if I understand correctly, don't we get a piece of the ticket sales? If so, that as well as Bowl game and March Madness conference cuts would be additional money on top of the #s listed. We can always play OOC regional teams too,

Would be alot of new money for the state and businesses (ie, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.)

If, I misunderstand that--I apologize ahead of time but I also believe there is alot more behind the scenes than fans truly know. LOOPHOLES.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This appears to be where it is headed. And wouldn't we like to be there already, when SU, Pitt, Ville and BC are looking for a life raft?
Yes. That’s my entire rationale for why I am pro B12. I want us to be in the drivers seat when the ACC blows up. If we’re already in the B12, we will be the ones deciding on other schools futures, not the other way around. And if those schools say, hey we would rather merge with the BE and separate football? We’ll be in position to do that as well.

If we are sitting in the Big East, and in 2036 the ACC blows up, do we really want to be fighting against Cuse, Pitt, UofL, NC State, Vtech, Miami, GTech, etc for a seat at the table? The last time we went head to head with those schools, we lost and ended up in the American.

Reaction Score
Yes. That’s my entire rationale for why I am pro B12. I want us to be in the drivers seat when the ACC blows up. If we’re already in the B12, we will be the ones deciding on other schools futures, not the other way around. And if those schools say, hey we would rather merge with the BE and separate football? We’ll be in position to do that as well.

If we are sitting in the Big East, and in 2036 the ACC blows up, do we really want to be fighting against Cuse, Pitt, UofL, NC State, Vtech, Miami, GTech, etc for a seat at the table? The last time we went head to head with those schools, we lost and ended up in the American.
I've always told everyone here, aburks41 is probably the smartest poster on this board. This post only reaffirms my belief!

We could sit here and ask, what do you guys really bring to the table?

Reaction Score
I love the Big East. I also think we can and will compete in men’s and women’s basketball on the court and financially in the Big East (basketball budgets show this). However, the rest of our sports will struggle to compete financially.

If we join the Big 12, baseball and football are the two big winners. We also put ourselves in position to be a candidate if the Big 10 ever expands to 24.

My only fear is the Big 10 and SEC leaving the NCAA with their 40-48 schools and UConn is not part of that crew. If we stay in the Big East, we have no shot to be one of the final 48.

If we join the Big 12, we have a legitimate chance to be in the club.
Yes baseball and football are two big winners and our bread and butter basketball team loses. What killed us in the AAC and what makes us thrive in the Big East is geographical and cultural fit. We are a northeast basketball powerhouse. I don't care that we would play Kansas every year, this will be the end of the our dominance in MBB.

I get why UConn would have to join the big 12 if offered but understand we will become like Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC.

As a fan, I am not willing to sacrifice one of the greatest basketball programs in college history to get a check and act like we belong in football.I. would rather drop the football team entirely than be Syracuse or Pitt basketball. I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes baseball and football are two big winners and our bread and butter basketball team loses. What killed us in the AAC and what makes us thrive in the Big East is geographical and cultural fit. We are a northeast basketball powerhouse. I don't care that we would play Kansas every year, this will be the end of the our dominance in MBB.

I get why UConn would have to join the big 12 if offered but understand we will become like Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC.
Not necessarily. Those programs can't carry UConn's jock strap on MBB or WBB. UConn MBB has won a national title in every conference they been in. Those others? Pfft.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Those programs can't carry UConn's jock strap on MBB or WBB. UConn MBB has won a national title in every conference they been in. Those others? Pfft.
Your acting like winning our first year in the AAC negates the rest that followed

Again we've seen this before, geography and culture matter. Joining the big 12 will be the AAC 2.0 on the court but with bigger checks

Reaction Score
Your acting like winning our first year in the AAC negates the rest that followed

Again we've seen this before, geography and culture matter. Joining the big 12 will be the AAC 2.0 on the court but with bigger checks
What came next, was in large part because they gave Ollie a raise they couldn't afford, and then even worse, they couldn't afford to fire him. So they "invented" cause and tried to not pay him. It blew up in their face. You know what helps with avoiding disasters like that? Additional revenue.

Reaction Score
geography and culture matter.

How come all of our losses last season came inside the Big East? So much for conference culture.

It seems to me the "culture" is to have the refs screw UCONN so the Catholic schools can improve their tournament resumes. We know where the real power resides in the Big East and it isn't with UCONN.

and the B12 has an outstanding basketball culture, they completely outclass the Big East in rankings and putting players in the NBA.

Reaction Score
What came next, was in large part because they gave Ollie a raise they couldn't afford, and then even worse, they couldn't afford to fire him. So they "invented" cause and tried to not pay him. It blew up in their face. You know what helps with avoiding disasters like that? Additional revenue.
Let's be honest, Ollie had his failings (many of them) but to act like he was the only issue with our bball team is disengenious.

18-21/22 year Olds traveling all over the country to play many of the same teams that are currently in the big 12 takes a toll. Versus pitching to recruits we play the best conference tourney at the world's greatest area a mere 2 hours away from campus with a rabid fan base that floods the arena.

You can justify why the big 12 is the right move for the AD all you want, just understand it's a death blow to what we currently enjoy in hoops.

Cutting costs, particularly the albatross around necks, also helps avoid those disasters

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom