Dog Days of Summer | The Boneyard

Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is the worst time of year. Nothing but a few camps over the next 8 weeks until fall practice starts.

About the only thing left to do is enjoy the a burger from the best burger joint anywhere Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Nothing beats the fresh patties grilled in front of you with cool toppings and those delicious fries cooked in peanut oil covered with a touch of vinegar.

Reaction Score
Thank you for making my lunch decision for me...Bacon Cheeseburger, here I come

Reaction Score
Prime 16 in New Haven has the best burgers anywhere. The amazing beers (half-price during happy hour) probably don't hurt, either. ;)

Reaction Score
My wife cooked up burgers with chopped up roasted sandwich peppers (the wet kind) and a little garlic. LandOLakes Cheese and regular fixins. Wowza.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Totally disagree. Plan B beats 5 Guys hands down.
Oh yah. Different styles of burgers, but no doubt (I love em both for what they are). Unfortunately I don't think Chin is local, and therefore not familiar with the amazingness of Plan B!

What beers are people drinking this summer? Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat is my "go to"... though I'm glad that Sam Adams seems to have fixed whatever threw off last year's summer brew. And I love me a good Hooker now and then...

Reaction Score
Whatever you CT guys do....if anyone recommends Ted's (not the campus Ted's) Steamed Cheeseburgers........punch them directly in the mouth. What garbage.

Plan B is the best local burger joint I've been to, but Five Guys is pretty good.

For brews.....I'm a pretty consisent Bass, Newcastle, Yeung Ling guy, but am more than willing to try anything somebody gives me for free.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Whatever you CT guys do....if anyone recommends Ted's (not the campus Ted's) Steamed Cheeseburgers........punch them directly in the mouth. What garbage.

Plan B is the best local burger joint I've been to, but Five Guys is pretty good.

For brews.....I'm a pretty consisent Bass, Newcastle, Yeung Ling guy, but am more than willing to try anything somebody gives me for free.
LOL... there is nothing glamorous about it, but damned if a cheeseburger sub from Ted's (on campus) after drinking isn't one of the finest culinary experiences in the world.

Best that I can say about Ted's (in Meriden) is that it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't seek it out (other than to say you've tried it).

By the way, the way you feel about Ted's is how I feel about Louis' Lunch. Anyone who consider that a good burger is blinded by nostalgia. Thanks Mr. Louis for inventing one of best sandwiches on earth, but you've long since been surpassed.

Reaction Score
LOL... there is nothing glamorous about it, but damned if a cheeseburger sub from Ted's (on campus) after drinking isn't one of the finest culinary experiences in the world.

Best that I can say about Ted's (in Meriden) is that it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't seek it out (other than to say you've tried it).

By the way, the way you feel about Ted's is how I feel about Louis' Lunch. Anyone who consider that a good burger is blinded by nostalgia. Thanks Mr. Louis for inventing one of best sandwiches on earth, but you've long since been surpassed.

100% agree with your first and last paragraphs. When were you at UConn? Because among my buddies, a stop at Ted's for a cheeseburger sub after a night of sloppy drinking at the Upper Deck was the proper way to deal with striking out with the gals.

Reaction Score
Oh yah. Different styles of burgers, but no doubt (I love em both for what they are). Unfortunately I don't think Chin is local, and therefore not familiar with the amazingness of Plan B!

What beers are people drinking this summer? Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat is my "go to"... though I'm glad that Sam Adams seems to have fixed whatever threw off last year's summer brew. And I love me a good Hooker now and then...

Any summer beer sounds good to me. Sam ,Harpoon, Brooklyn are all good. Newcastle Summer was not that great though. I discovered a great store in West Hartford last week called Harvest Wine & Spirits that has an amazing selection of Micro-Brews. Picked up RJ Rockers - Son of a Peach Ale and it is fantastic.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
100% agree with your first and last paragraphs. When were you at UConn? Because among my buddies, a stop at Ted's for a cheeseburger sub after a night of sloppy drinking at the Upper Deck was the proper way to deal with striking out with the gals.
Not long enough, unfortunately. I did Lehigh U. from 96-98, "Husky High" in West Hartford for 98-99, and Storrs for 99-01. When I was there the Upper Deck was the Civic Pub... I much preferred the Pub and Ted's to Slutskies (though I worked my way through enough Huskies happy hours - "Strike Three with Curley Fries" and a pitcher of beer).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think Plan B can be overrated. Top notch beer selection but the burgers are not the best burger in town (west hartford anyway). I'd put Max Burger above them and believe it or not, Beachland Tavern on New Britain ave in Elmwood has a seriously good burger and good reasonable food in general.

5 Guys is not in this league.

Reaction Score

In our day instead of Ted's we used go to Irma's grease truck for her cheeseburger grinders, she was parked in the lot across from Material Science, its now a parking garage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For the summer I definitely like the German wietbiers. Hacker Pschorr or Franziskaner go good with any summer activity.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For the summer I definitely like the German wietbiers. Hacker Pschorr or Franziskaner go good with any summer activity.
I plan on having 2 liters of Hacker Pschorr this Friday at East Side Restaurant in New Britain.

Reaction Score
The Groggy Frog on Center St. in Southington has fantastic burgers. Beers of Choice:Harpoon, Bass Ale, Otter Creek, Magic Hat, & lately, Beaver Beer out of Holyoke (Which I tried at the Rent at a beer tasting to benefit the Arthritis Foundation)

Reaction Score
Thought for comical purposes some folks would enjoy this read. If you can knife your way through the horrid writing it's some funny stuff. The title alone was enough to make me spit out my water.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I may have read it a tad quickly but surely I missed the section on championships?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
To circle back on burgers and beer...

OakaForPrez, not gonna knock ya for picking Max Burger over Plan B. I'd go the other way with it, but Max Burger is mighty fine.

Mooyah - why does this place exist? To me it's a less tasty spin on 5 Guys.

Anyone try Burger Baby in Hartford or BGR yet?

The Counter... severely overpriced, just okay. Overwhelming number of options.

Goldburgers in Newington... awesome. Corey's Ketchup and Mustard in Manchester is also quite good. Doogies, Augie & Rays - stick to the hot dogs.

I need to add a few new brews to my rotation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To circle back on burgers and beer...

OakaForPrez, not gonna knock ya for picking Max Burger over Plan B. I'd go the other way with it, but Max Burger is mighty fine.

Mooyah - why does this place exist? To me it's a less tasty spin on 5 Guys.

Anyone try Burger Baby in Hartford or BGR yet?

The Counter... severely overpriced, just okay. Overwhelming number of options.

Goldburgers in Newington... awesome. Corey's Ketchup and Mustard in Manchester is also quite good. Doogies, Augie & Rays - stick to the hot dogs.

The BGR burger I had in Alexandria, Va a couple of years ago may be the best burger I've eaten. Bacon blue cheese burger. The sweet potato fries with fresh garlic and parmesan helped the cause. I've had a few others at BGR since then and they've been a bit inconistent.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

If you can find it, the "new" Naggy (yes, that Naggy) Summer Ale (in, gasp, CANS!) is really REALLY good. Trust me on this one.

Reaction Score
MooYah has good turkey burgers.

ShockTop and Leinenkugels both make a Summer Shandy that are great summer beers.

Hooker Blondes and Watermelons are always tasty on a hot summer day.

Reaction Score
If you can find it, the "new" Naggy (yes, that Naggy) Summer Ale (in, gasp, CANS!) is really REALLY good. Trust me on this one.

Speaking of canned beers.....if anyone likes a Belgian Ale try the 668 Neighbor of the Beast put out by New England Brewing.

But for God's sake, pour it into a frosty mug.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
MooYah has good turkey burgers.

ShockTop and Leinenkugels both make a Summer Shandy that are great summer beers.

Hooker Blondes and Watermelons are always tasty on a hot summer day.

I had some Leinenkugel summer shandy's a few weeks ago and I'm done for the summer. A few of my friends really like the shandy's and I always get suckered in to believing I like them more than I do. I drink a couple and quickly remember I'm not a big fan of them. 11 /12 months later I repeat the same process.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I like a shandy now and then. Can always do your own with a spoonful of frozen lemonade concentrate and the beer of your choice.

As much as I love everything about Hooker Beer, I find that I can really only do 1 sixpack of the watermelon for an entire summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom