Do you remember when? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do you remember when?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember being down by 12 to Albany -in the second half- in the first round (2006). I was convinced we were doomed. They were totally outplaying us. We won by 13.

I think about that game when we get in trouble in the first round. It calms me down. We never let the Iona game get away from us. I just knew they couldn't beat us.
That game was just an introduction to the team not really caring enough that tournament. They continually acted like all they needed to do was show up for a few minutes here and there and everything would work out.

That game, the Kentucky game, the Washington game all were a lot closer and far more stressful than they should have been. The games being close had little to do with the opponent, we were just begging for someone to come along and knock us off, up until GM took us up on it.

Reaction Score
I must say honestly this was the most stress free tourney ive experience in the 30 years ive been a fan. I had absolutely ZERO DOUBT we would beat IONA. Oh how cute, we`re tied at the half. We`re one run away from putting this away. Thats what i was thinking at the half. After that it was cruise control. We never really trailed and when we did i just waited for the inevitable big run.
30 years? Rookie!

Reaction Score
I must say honestly this was the most stress free tourney ive experience in the 30 years ive been a fan. I had absolutely ZERO DOUBT we would beat IONA. Oh how cute, we`re tied at the half. We`re one run away from putting this away. Thats what i was thinking at the half. After that it was cruise control. We never really trailed and when we did i just waited for the inevitable big run.
First half had me saying how is this happening again? When Hawkins hit that three on the set play coming out of the half the game was over. St. Mary's played us tough early but it was clear they didn't have the horses to keep up and then it really turned into the UConn Invitational.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen that. I think most people on the board have St. John's near middle of the pack at 5th in the conference after UConn, Marquette, Creighton, Nova and about 25th in the country. That seems to be where the people who make the preseason polls have them too.
I believe that last year, we proved that preseason polls are based on the thoughts and imaginary insights of the clueless.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Remember that thread someone posted demanding to fire Hurley after the first half of Iona?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I have $100 that says we'll see another one of these threads by mid February.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
The response:
"This is going to end poorly."
Is just ambiguous enough.
Not sure if either ended "poorly." The season was a success and the thread an unqualified dumpster fire that provides endless entertainment (That's Entertainment?!).

Reaction Score
Although, of all the games….I found myself stressing out more during the Iona game more than any other during the tournament run.

Reaction Score
No reason to be offended, I certainly don't keep track.
I wasn't worried. It was pretty clear that they wouldn't be able to hang with us for a full 40 minutes. It also was clear that we were playing too tense early on and once that was worked out a blowout was inevitable.
Anyone who says that they weren't worried after that first half , looking back on the previous 2 tournament loses is just doing revisionist history. Worry time was real and that was reality
The good thing is that we would overcome that obstacle and move on.

Reaction Score
I do remember when I was just glad we were relevant with Dan. It is insane how fast we went to the top from where we were. It is INSANE.

Reaction Score
Saint Mary's looked like they matched up well and would give us trouble. Then they lost a key piece to injury and it was OVER. At that point I thought, looks like things are breaking our way.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Anyone who says that they weren't worried after that first half , looking back on the previous 2 tournament loses is just doing revisionist history. Worry time was real and that was reality
The good thing is that we would overcome that obstacle and move on.
Speak for yourself. The only time I was concerned at all during any of the tournament games was early against St Mary's.

I will state without question that I had a minor panic attack shortly before tipoff when against Miami when I got a phone call from a buddy who was so convinced we would destroy them (and continually repeated that to the point where I stopped yelling at him to shut up and hung up on him) that I thought he jinxed us but once Adama sank the early threes all was well.

Reaction Score
I just didn't think Sanogo was going to let us lose again, not in the first round
I’ve been rewatching the tournament games AGAIN this past week and Adama was magnificent. Like Superman. Alex also stood out as an absolute rock. I never got nervous when any particular player was handling the ball.

Reaction Score
Yes I do. I am thrilled they won. Hurley’s record in post season play prior to this season speaks for itself. Having said that his
record this past season also speaks for itself. He got the monkey off his back in a big way.
No way uconn was losing to iona. I was in vegas and bet 10k on the ml. Easy money

Reaction Score
Seth Davis is an idiot
The only way we lose a first round game is if the opponents took the air out of the ball. Iona pretty much plays a style we like with less talent and would’ve needed a miracle . They played their hearts out for a half . But for them any 2 minute dry spell and it was game over. When you play the 1st half as well a you able and it’s tied , your screwed .
Maybe the kids didn’t know but Rick knew it was over at half time
San Diago and St Mary’s were the two teams that worried me the most
I hate Rock fights . .
Funny that Iona was the only game we were down at half, then St Mary’s we were only up by 1 at half. Then as we just slapped around the big boy programs

Pitino is a serious coach. If it weren’t for his multiple scandals at Louisville, that program would probably still quite be something in the ACC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Speak for yourself. I felt the same way as Pitino at halftime. I've put "DOOOMED" in my RVM for good and am better off for it.
That's probably what made it close at the half. Fortunately the rest of us had your back and we pulled away.

You're welcome.

CL82

Reaction Score
I wasn't worried. It was pretty clear that they wouldn't be able to hang with us for a full 40 minutes. It also was clear that we were playing too tense early on and once that was worked out a blowout was inevitable.
I wasn't worried, per se, but I was concerned. I did think the laws of averages would even out there shooting in the second half.

CL82

Reaction Score
Remember that thread someone posted demanding to fire Hurley after the first half of Iona?
In my opinion, that "suicide" took the place of a hanging last year. Sometimes, the mojo provides.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
In my opinion, that "suicide" took the place of a hanging last year. Sometimes, the mojo provides.
Yeah, at one point during the tournament I was worried that we were somehow able to summon too much mojo. At the time I posted that I thought we were about to break the damned tournament as I never envisioned us making Arkansas and Gonzaga look like NEC schools.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I was nervous, mostly because of the ghosts of the Maryland and New Mexico State games. Was able to apply logic at halftime to settle down a bit, we weren't shooting well, they were hitting mid range jumpers left and right. Once Hawk hit his first 3 point attempt in the 2nd half I knew it was over.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What I most remember is that in each Tournament game there was the moment I txted my sister, either with anxious hope beforehand, or with confidence once 'the shift' happened & the dam-breaking, margin-building magic was kicking in, "It all starts with defense."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom