Do you remember when? | The Boneyard

Do you remember when?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This board was worried Dan Hurley couldn't win a tournament game?

And Seth Davis was all giddy and "wanted to hug the brackets" when he saw we were matched up with Iona? Hahaha

Seems like a lifetime ago

Back to back baby

Reaction Score

And Seth Davis was all giddy and "wanted to hug the brackets" when he saw we were matched up with Iona? Hahaha

Back to back baby
Seth Davis is an idiot
The only way we lose a first round game is if the opponents took the air out of the ball. Iona pretty much plays a style we like with less talent and would’ve needed a miracle . They played their hearts out for a half . But for them any 2 minute dry spell and it was game over. When you play the 1st half as well a you able and it’s tied , your screwed .
Maybe the kids didn’t know but Rick knew it was over at half time
San Diago and St Mary’s were the two teams that worried me the most
I hate Rock fights . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seth Davis is an idiot
The only way we lose a first round game is if the opponents took the air out of the ball. Iona pretty much plays a style we like with less talent and would’ve needed a miracle . They played their hearts out for a half . But for them any 2 minute dry spell and it was game over. When you play the 1st half as well a you able and it’s tied , your screwed .
Maybe the kids didn’t know but Rick knew it was over at half time
San Diago and St Mary’s were the two teams that worried me the most
I hate Rock fights . .

I like it when Hurley refers to Patino as “The Boogeyman”, that Patino’s aura is supposed to scare him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I like it when Hurley refers to Patino as “The Boogeyman”, that Patino’s aura is supposed to scare him.
We have a handful of posters ready to proclaim St John's as one of the top teams in hoops because of Pitino's presence. I prefer waiting and seeing some results before ordaining them. I believe Hurley is taking the same approach.

Reaction Score
We have a handful of posters ready to proclaim St John's as one of the top teams in hoops because of Pitino's presence. I prefer waiting and seeing some results before ordaining them. I believe Hurley is taking the same approach.

I agree whether SJU is a top team this year is an unanswered question. We won't know for a while. We do know that for all his flaws Pitino is an excellent coach. That's just reality. Should be interesting.

BTW, I also remember in 2011 John Feinstein picking #14 seed Bucknell to take us out in the first round. We beat them by 29.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I agree whether SJU is a top team this year is an unanswered question. We won't know for a while. We do know that for all his flaws Pitino is an excellent coach. That's just reality. Should be interesting.

BTW, I also remember in 2011 John Feinstein picking #14 seed Bucknell to take us out in the first round. We beat them by 29.
I remember Doug Gottlieb picking Bucknell to beat us (on Mike & Mike) a couple days before the tournament started. He claimed we'd be too exhausted from the BET and that their guard (I believe his name was Cohen) was too good of a defender for Kemba to do anything.

It was worth a laugh.

Reaction Score
Yes I do. I am thrilled they won. Hurley’s record in post season play prior to this season speaks for itself. Having said that his
record this past season also speaks for itself. He got the monkey off his back in a big way.
I am thrilled they won too, and by the big scoring margins.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

Back to back baby
I’m not gonna lie. I was scared at half during the Iona game. Anyone who wasn’t is lying.

Reaction Score

Was at that game. It was for all practical purposes over right from the start. Margin could have been whatever we wanted.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen that. I think most people on the board have St. John's near middle of the pack at 5th in the conference after UConn, Marquette, Creighton, Nova and about 25th in the country. That seems to be where the people who make the preseason polls have them too.

Reaction Score
The Committee was clearly intent on fabricating a Iona/Pitino matchup for us and ran roughshod over seeding principles to do so. It was a setup, and one that we overcame.

When they shot out of their minds in the first half, it felt like deja vu, but we kept our heads and the natural talent disparity prevailed in the second half.

Then St. Mary's and Arkansas also made tough shots (including 3s, which Arkansas was terrible at normally) in the first half, and we overcame that too.

Edit: don't forget assigning Jeff Anderson to our Final Four game, which was also done intentionally to stoke narratives.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’m not gonna lie. I was scared at half during the Iona game. Anyone who wasn’t is lying.
Speak for yourself. I felt the same way as Pitino at halftime. I've put "DOOOMED" in my RVM for good and am better off for it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I wasn't worried. It was pretty clear that they wouldn't be able to hang with us for a full 40 minutes. It also was clear that we were playing too tense early on and once that was worked out a blowout was inevitable.

Reaction Score
I wasn't worried. It was pretty clear that they wouldn't be able to hang with us for a full 40 minutes. It also was clear that we were playing too tense early on and once that was worked out a blowout was inevitable.
They were also shooting out of their minds (where have we seen that before), and it was likely, though not inevitable, that they would revert to the norm.

Reaction Score
The Committee was clearly intent on fabricating a Iona/Pitino matchup for us and ran roughshod over seeding principles to do so. It was a setup, and one that we overcame.

When they shot out of their minds in the first half, it felt like deja vu, but we kept our heads and the natural talent disparity prevailed in the second half.

Then St. Mary's and Arkansas also made tough shots (including 3s, which Arkansas was terrible at normally) in the first half, and we overcame that too.

Edit: don't forget assigning Jeff Anderson to our Final Four game, which was also done intentionally to stoke narratives.
Dude, get a grip.

Reaction Score
I must say honestly this was the most stress free tourney ive experience in the 30 years ive been a fan. I had absolutely ZERO DOUBT we would beat IONA. Oh how cute, we`re tied at the half. We`re one run away from putting this away. Thats what i was thinking at the half. After that it was cruise control. We never really trailed and when we did i just waited for the inevitable big run.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I must say honestly this was the most stress free tourney ive experience in the 30 years ive been a fan. I had absolutely ZERO DOUBT we would beat IONA. Oh how cute, we`re tied at the half. We`re one run away from putting this away. Thats what i was thinking at the half. After that it was cruise control. We never really trailed and when we did i just waited for the inevitable big run.

It was very low-stress, but the first half of the Iona game was not stress-free.

Reaction Score
I remember being down by 12 to Albany -in the second half- in the first round (2006). I was convinced we were doomed. They were totally outplaying us. We won by 13.

I think about that game when we get in trouble in the first round. It calms me down. We never let the Iona game get away from us. I just knew they couldn't beat us.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The only time I had any concern was the first 6+ minutes against St Mary's. Once we stabilized the game we were fine, then they lost a key player and it was history (even though we would have won regardless).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom