DJ Harvey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DJ Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll be ecstatic if we can land 2 of Diallo/Harvey/MAL. Kind of setting the bar high but I see no reason we can't do that
a back court with 2 out of any of those 3 would be scary athletic

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This kid clearly doesn't have a great be rocket or much length, but he's skilled. He can shoot fairly well and seems to have a good touch. I would love to have him, but not everyone is the second coming.

Reaction Score
The first time I saw DJ Harvey was at Hoophall in Jan 2015 when he was a soph. I included him in my post at that time as a player I noticed and liked. His game at Hoophall was much different than the beginning of this mix tape which focuses on athletic open court play. At Hoophall I saw a really poised and polished mid range game with a high percentage 12-15 ft pull up jumper, (a la Richard Hamilton). He has filled out and appears much stronger. When we have posted about Hamidou Diallo what stands out is incredible highlight film athleticism, finishing, but missing shots. DJ to me was all about a poised quick 2 dribble move with a pull up jumper that was money. The tape shows that his physical growth has added more strength to the rim. As a highlight film with oohs and aahs Hamidou is your player, but for basketball skills I think DJ might be better, or at least more efficient.
To get either would be a real coup.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This kid clearly doesn't have a great be rocket or much length, but he's skilled. He can shoot fairly well and seems to have a good touch. I would love to have him, but not everyone is the second coming.

247 says DJ is 6'6", he slams them home with ease, and blocks lots of shots above the rim. The kid looks very athletic on the video-- could the video be deceiving? I remember how HDiallo looked good shooting jumpers on the highlight videos and it turned out to not be a real good sample of his ability. Am I missing something here?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
247 says DJ is 6'6", he slams them home with ease, and blocks lots of shots above the rim. The kid looks very athletic on the video-- could the video be deceiving? I remember how HDiallo looked good shooting jumpers on the highlight videos and it turned out to not be a real good sample of his ability. Am I missing something here?
In that video, his vertical does not look good IMO. Nothing close to Diallo. He's not going to be finishing over defenders. He's more of a skill-based player. Nothing wrong with that. But I think him not making the final 18 for U18 is probably the right call. I don't think he's a top 20 player in his class. Still would love him here, but just my evaluation.

Reaction Score
The first time I saw DJ Harvey was at Hoophall in Jan 2015 when he was a soph. I included him in my post at that time as a player I noticed and liked. His game at Hoophall was much different than the beginning of this mix tape which focuses on athletic open court play. At Hoophall I saw a really poised and polished mid range game with a high percentage 12-15 ft pull up jumper, (a la Richard Hamilton). He has filled out and appears much stronger. When we have posted about Hamidou Diallo what stands out is incredible highlight film athleticism, finishing, but missing shots. DJ to me was all about a poised quick 2 dribble move with a pull up jumper that was money. The tape shows that his physical growth has added more strength to the rim. As a highlight film with oohs and aahs Hamidou is your player, but for basketball skills I think DJ might be better, or at least more efficient.
To get either would be a real coup.
Ricker, post more. Like all the time. Every day.

Reaction Score
I saw Harvey at Hoophall also. Didn't play with flash like a lot of the highly rated kids. Didn't see any weaknesses. HighIQ.

Have seen Diallo 3X. While more athletic, was also inconsistent. Granted, Putnam played about 15 kids and it might be tough getting into s rhythm.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
In that video, his vertical does not look good IMO. Nothing close to Diallo. He's not going to be finishing over defenders. He's more of a skill-based player.
This is probably true. Diallo's the best, most freakishly athletic guard in the class, and is a probable one-and-done b/c of it (like Wiggins). Harvey's athleticism is instead considered "above average" -- enough to make him an NBA target, but not so much that he'll be drafted no matter what. There's also a slight length differential, as Harvey measures 6-foot-6 with a 6-foot-9 wingspan, while Diallo is 6-foot-5/6-foot-11.

That said, Harvey's generated a lot of talk over the last 6 months about how much more skilled he's become at the rim. He's probably the best in his class at finishing with either hand, and as @Ricker said he's an absolute murderer in mid-range. He's also a reliable 3-point shooter in rhythm, though he still has to improve his footwork in order to become a better spot-up shooter (you can see that pretty clearly from the highlight reel).

Either one would be a fantastic recruit for us. I think Diallo's going to make hundreds of millions of dollars in the NBA, and having guys like that in the league over the next decade+ is huge for the program (every time Andre's name is mentioned, it helps our recruiting). Harvey is less of a sure thing, but I think he'll actually help the team more in college because he's likely to stay at least two years, maybe even three or four.

Reaction Score

We seem to be leading for this kid based upon info from our insiders & his own words, but there's not as much buzz in the fanbase as there should be. Harvey looks like a really, really good prospect.

Can't help but get a little giddy watching this kid play... He's the missing piece on our squad... runs the floor, finishes well on BOTH ends.. How can you knot like him? Heck, how could you not fall in love with him... He's a slasher with size (length)... You add that with our perimeter play offensively??? Yikes!!! Perfect fit for UCONN MBB... Hope we got the full court press on this young man... Bring ALL the former greats back to campus to get this kid on our side...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When asked about what he's looking for in a school he said:
1) Family feel
2) History of winning

If that's truly the case, I think we stand a great shot if KO can get him in on campus for a visit. Family feel and history of winning is UConn in a nutshell. So, despite what any 'experts' say about this kid... I think we stand a chance. Especially since KO has been on a recruiting TEAR over the past year.
Touring the word class practice facility and oh what's this? KO is playing horse with good friends Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton?

Reaction Score
DJ Harvey EYBL stats:

11.1 PPG, 41.3% FG, 65.5% FT, 30.5% 3P, 6.7 REB

The rebounding numbers are very solid for a wing, and while the shooting numbers aren't awe inspiring, it's important to remember that he is playing against the top players in the 2016 class, not just 2017. I've seen a lot of great players do a lot worse in their junior year EYBL session.

Matrim55

Reaction Score

God I love this kid's game -- he's like a cross between Rip & Denham. I don't care that he's fallen from like 15th to 35th in the composite rankings, I want this kid to be a Husky.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
He has a very nice jumper right now. He could be really good, it seems to me.

Reaction Score

God I love this kid's game -- he's like a cross between Rip & Denham. I don't care that he's fallen from like 15th to 35th in the composite rankings, I want this kid to be a Husky.

Denham Brown is a great comp, as is the mix with Rip. I think that hits it right on the head.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Denham Brown is a great comp, as is the mix with Rip. I think that hits it right on the head.
If we sign him I hope he spends the next 15 months studying old tape Rip's footwork coming off of screens. Kid has a nice, high & quick release and good balance, but his feet are a mess when he's moving.

That's not the type of thing that's taught in AAU, unfortunately. Perhaps at DeMatha, which has a good rep, he'll get real instruction.

Reaction Score
I love this shooters and thats what this guy is, plus his athleticism doesnt fall behind any. Sign me up

Reaction Score
Just saw on Twitter Harvey set visits for Louisville. Texas, and someone else who isn't us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom