"Discouraging" ND Injury News | The Boneyard

"Discouraging" ND Injury News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not my words, but those of the South Bend Tribune.

LINK

Key points:
Turner hurt her shoulder trying to block a shot, nearly blacked out from the pain.
Not yet known if she will have surgery.
Reimer felt a lot of pain in her Achilles after UCLA game.
Reimer is having an MRI to determine the extent of her injury.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UGH that's awful. The only silver lining - if it's season ending for either, red shirt would be available for them. I think they can play up to about 8 games and still redshirt?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UGH that's awful. The only silver lining - if it's season ending for either, red shirt would be available for them. I think they can play up to about 8 games and still redshirt?
Seem to remember it's 20% of the games played.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
Seem to remember it's 20% of the games played.

From the discussion of Morgan's injury not long ago, the newer threshold is 30% of regular season games which IIRC includes the first game of the conference tourney as well. (Stamfordhusky provided that info I think)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wonder if it's the same shoulder Turner hurt last year. I know from experience how painful a hurt shoulder can be. And the surgery recovery is extensive.

GG

Reaction Score
I hope that they are both okay.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I wonder if it's the same shoulder Turner hurt last year. I know from experience how painful a hurt shoulder can be. And the surgery recovery is extensive.

It is the same shoulder.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is the same shoulder.

I cannot imagine that she won't have surgery if it is a recurring problem. Otherwise this will probably plague her during her entire career.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine that she won't have surgery if it is a recurring problem. Otherwise this will probably plague her during her entire career.

I agree. At this point, I would be surprised if they don't shut her down and have the surgery done.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Apparently it's the same shoulder. I kind of hope they do the surgery and shut her down for the year - it seems like that shoulder has become susceptible as it is. Parker's shoulder was an issue as well and IIRC she ended up getting surgery after her time in Knoxville.

Turner is a rare talent as well and it maybe it would be for the best if she ends up getting the surgery and an extra year so that she could maximize her time in South Bend. They've got talent coming in so it's not like this season is make or break by any means. I wish her the best.

HGN

Reaction Score
News certainly doesn't sound too encouraging. It's so early in the season that playing Turner may be too risky for a long season. Maybe you risk it if it's NCAA Tournament time. But this early I don't know.:confused:

As for Reimer , Achilles are tricky . One wrong step or someone coming down on the back of your foot and it's lights out. Muffet's got a tough decision to make here. Do I play her or do I sit her until she heals ?

Reaction Score
Tina Charles had similar shoulder issues and had surgery right after her freshman year ended. She was in agony if she got hit...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not my words, but those of the South Bend Tribune.

LINK

Key points:
Turner hurt her shoulder trying to block a shot, nearly blacked out from the pain.
Not yet known if she will have surgery.
Reimer felt a lot of pain in her Achilles after UCLA game.
Reimer is having an MRI to determine the extent of her injury.

Thanks. I have been searching in vain for info and I'm truly sorry about this and hope both resolve and stay in the game, 'cuz they are "players" and we need you guys around. Let me say again, that really sucks.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That is very sad news
Takes some of the joy from our anticipated 30-point win (and I'm not being sarcastic).
Perhaps (in Turner's case) if she can play through pain, it won't make it worse.
Can't say the same for Reimer.
Wouldn't be surprised if they both made token appearances.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Notre Dame’s Brianna Turner talks to media during Notre Dame Women's Basketball Media Day on Monday, Oct. 12, 2015, inside the Purcell Pavilion at Notre Dame in South Bend. SBT Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN

Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:11 pm | Updated: 6:45 pm, Tue Dec 1, 2015. Ken Klimek Tribune Correspondent

SOUTH BEND — The Notre Dame women’s basketball team is not a victim of identity theft, but its identity surely will change.

The Irish may well be without two veteran post players, Brianna Turner and Taya Reimer, for an indefinite period of time. The status of starting post Brianna Turner, dealing with a shoulder injury, is not clearly defined, but she will not be playing Wednesday night when the Irish host No. 10 Ohio State, and likely won’t play in the immediate future — possibly the rest of the season.

Discouraging injury news for Notre Dame hoops' Turner, Reimer, South Bend Tribune

[Good folks, please don't post copyrighted material in its entirety. ~HuskyNan]

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sorry the kids are hurting - hope their injuries aren't serious.

I would rather that UConn faced a full-strength ND team. The Huskies need the competition.

UCONN's not at full strength.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Turner is my favorite "non-UConn" female basketball player. I was looking forward to watching her progress through this season. I'm not happy right now. :(

Reaction Score
There's been a lot of injuries to begin this season coupled with the vast amount of off season transfers, it feel a though there's no excitement around the women's game right now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sorry the kids are hurting - hope their injuries aren't serious.

I would rather that UConn faced a full-strength ND team. The Huskies need the competition.

With Reimer and Turner out, it removes some of the tension and anticipation from Saturday's game. At full strength, ND had a chance.

Without them, ND has no chance at all of winning this game. Perhaps their path's will cross again during the tournament, and like last year, ND will be a full strength.

Thoughts and prayers to both families.

Reaction Score
I have two wrecked shoulders, so I can empathize. It'd be far better to play ND at full strength.

Reaction Score
From the discussion of Morgan's injury not long ago, the newer threshold is 30% of regular season games which IIRC includes the first game of the conference tourney as well. (Stamfordhusky provided that info I think)

That is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman