OT: - Diets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Diets

Reaction Score
I went vegetarian six months ago and it's been fantastic so far. I can't believe 1) how easy it is to lose weight 2) that I don't miss meat one bit 3) that eating a lower amount of protein has had no negative impact (I used to be all about protein powder and high-protein diets).

My diet primarily consists of veggies, fruits, nuts/nut butters, oats, rice and beans. I throw in some seitan a few times a week. Very little dairy, my wife cooks with cheese every now and then. No eggs. Hardly any booze but I haven't been much of a drinker in years. Virtually no added sugar. It's not rocket science - different diets will work but if you cut down on salt, sugar and alcohol - you're going to lose a bunch weight and lose it quickly.

I think one of the biggest benefits is that my salt intake plummeted. As a vegetarian it's damn near impossible to go overboard on salt. My BP dropped. My energy level is higher than it's been in 15 years. The best and biggest surprise was that so many small aches and pains that I had (back, knees, neck) all disappeared within 10 days of going vegetarian. My wind when I'm running or playing basketball improved dramatically almost immediately as well.

I've tried all the diets over the years - paleo (the absolute worst IMO), keto, etc. I couldn't stick to any of those and never felt great on them. Vegetarianism is a breeze. I'm probably eating more carbs then ever but I'm losing weight. I've never felt like it was hard work or a "diet" and the benefits are so good that I've never once thought of changing things up.

Reaction Score
I appreciate this post and how in depth it is. I can relate to pieces of it as well. I basically want to follow this low carb diet and lift until I can get my BF to low double digits, which is probably a month away.
You got it

I have been substituting Beyond Meat products instead of meat the past 2 weeks after eating some janky capicola and getting irked. I believe it is pea protein based. I initially heard of them because I saw it being mentioned in the same breath as Impossible Foods which you may have heard of being in the food scene on the West Coast. I don't think it warrants the praise I have seen but its pretty decent.
Beyond Meat is good; honestly the best options are always in Whole Foods. Their curry seitan strips are pretty awesome. Gardein products are very solid as well; love their "pork."

I have went vegetarian 2x in my life for over a year. The first was after reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I absolutely love bacon and burgers in general but the transition was pretty seamless. Not sure why I slipped off the wagon.
I am a highly Germanic young man who grew up in New Jersey eating the best pepperoni and sausage pizza on earth every week my entire childhood. I can't judge you for slipping, as I did myself several times.

I have this idea that I want to actually hunt and kill an animal if I am going to eat it but being a kid from Fairfield County who has never shot a gun, this seems pretty idealistic.
Meh, would it make you feel manly or something? Not judging if it does, but shooting a harmless deer from hundreds of yards away without it even knowing what happened, especially if you're going through all that for the justification of eating it, doesn't really appeal to me. But that's just me.
I was hiking in the woods and came across a freshly diseased deer and I was so disturbed by it.
This concept is one big reason I believe we are really herbivores by nature. A true carnivorous predator actively seeks out the injured, and/or diseased, and/or already dead and rotting. An omnivore? LOL it'll eat whatever it can get, however it comes. Humans? We are VERY particular with how we choose the produce we buy at the store. We value freshness and aesthetic. And you see that carry over with how we "prefer" meat. Not to mention the fact that we have to cook it to tolerate it, let alone use dried vegetables to season and enjoy it, our preferences are completely at odds with natural meat-eaters.

If something so natural grossed me out, I must be using some serious mental gymnastics to be ignoring the lives of the cattle and pigs I will willingly eat. I know I am sounding preachy.
Preach on to me, brother. Or if you want to PM that's cool too. We are dissenters here :eek:

This is a complex issue, for sure.
Personally, I don't find it very complex.

P1 Animals are sentient
P2 Animals feel suffering
P3 It is immoral to inflict superfluous suffering on sentient beings
C1 It is immoral to consume animals, or treat them the way in which the modern egg and dairy industry exploits them for their byproducts

Reaction Score
What worked for me. I bought a food scale(get one on amazon for under 25 dollars,restaurant use them regularly) and measured poritions. I increased my fiber (helped) and cut down on a few things like chips/beers after 8 and stupid carbs.
Adjusting portions is a great place to start

Reaction Score
I cut out most carbs and sugar and cut my drinking way last July. Hit boot camp 5 or 6 days a week and have lost 50lbs. A funky subway diet obviously isn't sustainable long term so I'd suggest something that is.

Not drinking isnt sustainable with this board

Reaction Score
I went vegetarian six months ago and it's been fantastic so far. I can't believe 1) how easy it is to lose weight 2) that I don't miss meat one bit 3) that eating a lower amount of protein has had no negative impact (I used to be all about protein powder and high-protein diets).
Protein powder farts... jesus, the flashbacks...

My diet primarily consists of veggies, fruits, nuts/nut butters, oats, rice and beans. I throw in some seitan a few times a week. Very little dairy, my wife cooks with cheese every now and then. No eggs. Hardly any booze but I haven't been much of a drinker in years. Virtually no added sugar. It's not rocket science - different diets will work but if you cut down on salt, sugar and alcohol - you're going to lose a bunch weight and lose it quickly.
As I said I am freakishly Germanic and, especially in San Diego, stand no chance with the beer scene I'm currently living in. It's the one thing I still have to cut out eventually.
I think one of the biggest benefits is that my salt intake plummeted. As a vegetarian it's damn near impossible to go overboard on salt. My BP dropped.
Oh I find a way every now and then hahahaha
My energy level is higher than it's been in 15 years.
Funny, the changes we feel when our primary energy source is all natural glycogen; just the way our bodies evolved.
The best and biggest surprise was that so many small aches and pains that I had (back, knees, neck) all disappeared within 10 days of going vegetarian.
One massive effect of intake of animal products is the systemic inflammatory reaction your body produces in response. Also, as below, better circulation. Many people's arthritis is completely cured by being plant-based.
My wind when I'm running or playing basketball improved dramatically almost immediately as well.
Your diet is reversing the atherosclerosis we all have to varying degrees from a life of consuming animal products. You're getting better circulation, leading to better oxygenation of your body's tissues. Your body feels deprived of oxygen that much later, and your heart is working less hard; thus you get short of breath that much later.
I've tried all the diets over the years - paleo (the absolute worst IMO), keto, etc. I couldn't stick to any of those and never felt great on them. Vegetarianism is a breeze. I'm probably eating more carbs then ever but I'm losing weight. I've never felt like it was hard work or a "diet" and the benefits are so good that I've never once thought of changing things up.
Awesome man.

Reaction Score
You got it

Beyond Meat is good; honestly the best options are always in Whole Foods. Their curry seitan strips are pretty awesome. Gardein products are very solid as well; love their "pork."

I am a highly Germanic young man who grew up in New Jersey eating the best pepperoni and sausage pizza on earth every week my entire childhood. I can't judge you for slipping, as I did myself several times.

Meh, would it make you feel manly or something? Not judging if it does, but shooting a harmless deer from hundreds of yards away without it even knowing what happened, especially if you're going through all that for the justification of eating it, doesn't really appeal to me. But that's just me.

This concept is one big reason I believe we are really herbivores by nature. A true carnivorous predator actively seeks out the injured, and/or diseased, and/or already dead and rotting. An omnivore? LOL it'll eat whatever it can get, however it comes. Humans? We are VERY particular with how we choose the produce we buy at the store. We value freshness and aesthetic. And you see that carry over with how we "prefer" meat. Not to mention the fact that we have to cook it to tolerate it, let alone use dried vegetables to season and enjoy it, our preferences are completely at odds with natural meat-eaters.

Preach on to me, brother. Or if you want to PM that's cool too. We are dissenters here :eek:

P1 Animals are sentient
C1 It is immoral to consume animals, or treat them the way in which the modern egg and dairy industry exploits them for their byproducts

The wanting to kill an animal to eat is premise isn't really based on me wanting to go hunting for sport. It has more to do with confronting the reality of the situation if I felt so compelled to actually eat meat. I do think eating meat you hunt for is morally superior to eating farm raised animals but that's not to say its a good thing. More of an indictment of the farm system.

It may not be complex in a vacuum but it is complex because of the way society views the issue. I have read a lot of thoughtful people argue that eating animals and especially raising livestock and especially factory farming may end up being looked at as one of the greatest moral blights of our time. But I'd imagine a majority of the population hasn't even considered the issue.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Great job. I've done pretty much the same since August and get 60 minutes of exercise six days a week and have lost 50.

I've been preaching to people about the nutritionist and it being covered by insurance. More people need to know. It's a lot cheaper and better than taking meds and seeing a cardiologist. I think @Dogbreath2U was the first one to tell me about it.

Bottom line: there's no getting around the fact that a balanced diet and regular exercise work. If you want them to work long term you have to find a way to make it something you can live with for the rest of your life. Nutritionists can help you come up with the roadmap that works for you and just as importantly help weed out the bunk.

Excellent for you and everyone else who's dropping a bunch of weight.

Nutritionist wasn't covered under my old plan. New one just started yesterday, so I'll have to check. But, using an app like MyFitnessPal gave me a ton of info on where I needed to change, which was mostly TV-watching snacks after dinner.

I'm taking a slow route, making lifestyle changes I hope will take for life, so I'm not looking to lose a whole lot in short period. Aiming for 4-5 lbs/month, and so far so good after 55 days. Any diet that wants me to eat boneless chicken breast meat and cauliflower is not something I can live with. Wife was getting pretty heavy, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, dropped most of her carbs, lost 60 lbs in under a year and has kept it off, which helps me as we don't cook nearly the amount of pasta and potatoes we used to.

I did have success with Atkins a few years ago, but it was only sustainable in summer when I was grilling everything, including produce. And some 40 years ago, I actually went from 238 to 178 with the cornerstone of my diet being half a Colony pizza 3-4x weekly.

Reaction Score

I think one of the biggest benefits is that my salt intake plummeted. As a vegetarian it's damn near impossible to go overboard on salt. My BP dropped. My energy level is higher than it's been in 15 years. The best and biggest surprise was that so many small aches and pains that I had (back, knees, neck) all disappeared within 10 days of going vegetarian. My wind when I'm running or playing basketball improved dramatically almost immediately as well.

Is it a coincidence that your Avatar shows a guy who's gone Vegan?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Excellent for you and everyone else who's dropping a bunch of weight.

Nutritionist wasn't covered under my old plan. New one just started yesterday, so I'll have to check. But, using an app like MyFitnessPal gave me a ton of info on where I needed to change, which was mostly TV-watching snacks after dinner.

I'm taking a slow route, making lifestyle changes I hope will take for life, so I'm not looking to lose a whole lot in short period. Aiming for 4-5 lbs/month, and so far so good after 55 days. Any diet that wants me to eat boneless chicken breast meat and cauliflower is not something I can live with. Wife was getting pretty heavy, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, dropped most of her carbs, lost 60 lbs in under a year and has kept it off, which helps me as we don't cook nearly the amount of pasta and potatoes we used to.

I did have success with Atkins a few years ago, but it was only sustainable in summer when I was grilling everything, including produce. And some 40 years ago, I actually went from 238 to 178 with the cornerstone of my diet being half a Colony pizza 3-4x weekly.

I'm using a similar approach. MyFitnessPal to track calories, targeting 2 pounds a week, but with some wiggle room on weekends. Working fairly well so far. Snacks watching TV and portion control at dinner are the keys, along with very little beer. Big weeeknd meals like pizza with a few beers blows through the calorie ceiling by a lot. Got to avoid those days. I need to add more excercise. I have 40-50 to lose.

Reaction Score
Best result I've experienced is an Atkins derivative. Lost 34 pounds in 7 weeks...limited carbs to 20 grams, ate as much protein as I wanted. After the induction phase (first two weeks) your body, digestive system and energy level are phenomenal. I always found diets to be restrictive...the textures and tastes you like need to be eliminated the most. Atkins or Atkins light allow you to eat the really good stuff that you like.
Have kept the weight off for almost ten years...honestly I eat what I want some good some bad from a carb standpoint however, when I notice more than a five pound increase I revert back to low card and it's gone. My health numbers all improved and have stayed that way. Better energy etc.
Good luck whichever plan you choose.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If I had to go without meat for more than 8 hours, I would probably stab myself. However, I have only drunk water for about six months with very few exceptions (teas once a month maybe). Not sure what effect it has but at least it cuts down sugar intake and calorie intake from beverages.

Reaction Score
I lost almost 80 pounds in the last 10 months. 268 to 189. (About) i tried similar diets and you just yo yo or go to jail( subway jared joke). Find a good nutritionist (certified) which your insurance will cover. Fad diets do not work for 99% of people like you are on. Most of my issues was based on portion control. Try myfitnesspal app to figure out your cal intake is a day.
That's amazing. I'm looking to drop around 50lbs myself. Any tips? What does your diet look like?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Yes the worst topic in the world:)
For two months I've been eating 3/4 of a veggie sub from Subway-- all veggies and I cut into 1/4 eating 3 a day. I add two egg whites to each one and have one bowl of oatmeal in the am with one small glass of ok then water all day I've lost 17 pounds in 9 weeks and it really doesn't feel like I'm deprived in anyway.

Spreading out your eating along with getting in good exercise is the key. I know I've posted about it before, but the Tony Horton workout videos, combined with proper dieting, completely transformed me. The last time I posted about it, I'd lost 86 lbs from where I was when I started, and now I'm down 111 and just about at my goal weight.

Combining a little protein in for extra energy (jerky is great for this - low calorie, lean, and delicious) will help you get more energy for working out and will also be less likely to leave you feeling hungry throughout the day.

I congratulate you on your success thus far and admire your self-discipline in sticking to your diet. I don't think I'd be able to keep on with the diet regimen you've described for very long.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes the worst topic in the world:)
For two months I've been eating 3/4 of a veggie sub from Subway-- all veggies and I cut into 1/4 eating 3 a day. I add two egg whites to each one and have one bowl of oatmeal in the am with one small glass of ok then water all day I've lost 17 pounds in 9 weeks and it really doesn't feel like I'm deprived in anyway.

Someone parse this for me.

He's eating 3/4ths of a veggie sub every day? What's he doing with the other quarter of a sub? That routine seems a little rough long term - you will eventually need protein and fat, my boy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good for you Scrappy. I need to do the same. 2 month sago my Doc labeled me Diabetic. My AC1 or 1AC (whatever) was 7.0 But the ceiling was 6.5. So exerciser and try to diet. Other than that see you in six months. NOW, the gurus in the sky decide to drop the tops to 5.8. Now all kinds of bells and whistles went off. Carbs, Carbs.Watch your carbs. Everything is good, liver, heart,kidneys, Cholesterol. All is great. One gal told me to deduct Dietary Fiber grams from Carb grams, and that will give you the correct carb intake. I don't know.I am getting tired of it. I asked.."okay I am diabetic, how am I supposed to feel. Faint? Throw up? Grow an additional toe? Nobody can explain it to me. So, I quit soft drinks. Used to drink V8 Veggie juice and 50 50 Orange juice. Nope all juice is sugar. Frankly I am very tied of this BS.

While I feel for you and your situation, your post cracked me up.

Man just wants to have a goshdarn soft drink.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

By nature? Dunno about that. Unless you are saying we have evolved into herbivores. I would say by nature we are indeed omnivores, but it's unlimited choice which allows us to have 'preferences'. The more options, the more picky. In the natural world, we'd take whatever the hell we could get.

P1 Animals are sentient

Outside of the 'immoral to consume animals', you are ok with small farm animal products (true free range/grass fed/hormone free)? Or people raising their own animals for consumption or product (egg/milk)?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd like to alter my diet to feel better. I still do a lot of sports (snowboard/surfing/soccer/hiking/etc), and want to recover quicker. Just have my joints feel better. More energy. That sort of thing.

There seems to be number of ways to make this happen. Go vege. No dairy. Paleo. Low Carb. I'm leary about the vegetarian thing, for a couple reasons.
  1. I've the opposite problem as most on here seem to have, trouble keeping on weight. If I didn't eat meat, I'd fade away. And the sheer amount of veges I'd need to sustain muscle mass is intimidating.
  2. I love meat. More of a moderation guy tho. I actually try to avoid eating meat all the time.
I'd love to be able to give up dairy, as I've heard a lot about that in regards to joint/muscle healing and swelling. But man, I love dairy. I love lattes. I love cheese. I love ice cream. I love desserts too. Strong dairy component there.

Reaction Score
Someone parse this for me.

He's eating 3/4ths of a veggie sub every day? What's he doing with the other quarter of a sub? That routine seems a little rough long term - you will eventually need protein and fat, my boy.

Was wondering the same

Reaction Score
By nature? Dunno about that. Unless you are saying we have evolved into herbivores.
Regardless of through evolution or not, the point is that we are herbivores. That's not the only piece of evidence. You look at human dentition, you look at our salivary and digestive enzymes... if anything we defied our nature by consuming animals out of desperation for calories. Imagine what they caught tasted like, cooked (if at all) with hunter-gatherer technology?
I would say by nature we are indeed omnivores, but it's unlimited choice which allows us to have 'preferences'. The more options, the more picky. In the natural world, we'd take whatever the hell we could get.
Is this supposed to be some justification for continued consumption in modern society?

Outside of the 'immoral to consume animals', you are ok with small farm animal products (true free range/grass fed/hormone free)?
Well that's what this all boils down to so I don't even know how to answer that question. Do you mean I think it makes it somehow feel less wrong if I know that that patty of ground up flesh came from a cow that lived a comfortable life? Not particularly, see below

Or people raising their own animals for consumption or product (egg/milk)?
Well on top of that, one could argue it's quite the betrayal to bring up a cow from an infant calf, showing it love and good treatment, all for you to slaughter and butcher and consume it. Wouldn't it feel like eating a pet to you?

Edit I guess harvesting milk/eggs from well-treated cows/chickens isn't the worst

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You need protein. Here's my favorite weight loss recipe. With the exception of the 4# chuck roast and my secret ingredient, it's basically just vegetable soup.

Ingredients
  • One 4-pound beef chuck roast
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for coating
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 3 stalks celery, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
  • 3 cloves garlic, mashed
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped
  • Secret ingredient: 1/4 cup ipecac syrup

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • Secret ingredient: 1/4 cup ipecac syrup

Bravo, Tom.

That was very funny.

Personally, though, I only consume ipecac as a mixer for my first drink on bachelor-party, heavy-drinking nights that are destined to end with me praying at the porcelain alter anyway—might as well start early and get it over with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom