Did MD player Punch Whitmer on Fumble? | The Boneyard

Did MD player Punch Whitmer on Fumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

May or may not have been on purpose, but still probably didn't help Chandler

Reaction Score
I don't see a punch there. I see a linebacker making a great play.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you are seeing there. It's simple a guy reaching in grabbing the ball and pulling it out. Pretty text book strip

Reaction Score
look at his other hand, goes from Whitmers right shoulder, pulls back and impacts his head

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Nothing to see here

pj

Reaction Score
What bugs me on this play is Chandler is 2 yards past the 1st down marker when he is first touched and 7 yards past when he hits the ground. Great play Chandler, but don't get greedy! Head for the marker and go out of bounds, or slide once you have the first down!

Reaction Score
what bothered me on that play was that it looked like the kid who recovered it went out of bounds before he secured the ball. The replay on the video board looked as if his feet slid out before he recovered it. Didn't see a better view of it on the DVR last night.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Huh I didn't see that on Saturday but he absolutely punched him in the head.

Reaction Score
Calling that a punch in the head is like calling our offense potent.

Reaction Score
Huh I didn't see that on Saturday but he absolutely punched him in the head.
I think you are correct. Bulletin board material for next year's game vs Maryland!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

By any reasonable definition of the rules it was a personal foul. It wasn't Mike Tyson in his prime, but it slipped through the cracks. No excuse for fumbling, but he clearly hit him in the head.

Reaction Score
By any reasonable definition of the rules it was a personal foul. It wasn't Mike Tyson in his prime, but it slipped through the cracks. No excuse for fumbling, but he clearly hit him in the head.

Only in super slow motion could that be confused with something that even resembles a personal foul.

There was nothing wrong with that play other than Whitmer's failure to secure the ball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even through National Flag Blue glasses, I wouldn't call it a punch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I sometimes like Alanis Morrissette struggle with the definition of irony: Is it ironic that this board denies a blow to the head with video evidence, but because Steg's penalty isn't on tape it couldn't have happened?

Reaction Score
I sometimes like Alanis Morrissette struggle with the definition of irony: Is it ironic that this board denies a blow to the head with video evidence, but because Steg's penalty isn't on tape it couldn't have happened?

By definition Steg's penalty happened because they called it.

Where I find fault in calling this a "blow" to the head is that it takes super slow motion to see that contact was made. His head turns the same time as the defender's left arm was beginning to strip the ball out. The head turn could easily have been as much a response to the ball starting to come out as the hand making contact to the head.

Yes, his hand hit his helmet. Calling it a "punch" is just silly, IMHO.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By definition Steg's penalty happened because they called it.

Where I find fault in calling this a "blow" to the head is that it takes super slow motion to see that contact was made. His head turns the same time as the defender's left arm was beginning to strip the ball out. The head turn could easily have been as much a response to the ball starting to come out as the hand making contact to the head.

Yes, his hand hit his helmet. Calling it a "punch" is just silly, IMHO.

If you don't think its a penalty thats fine we can disagree but he turns his head because he got hit that is pretty obvious.

Reaction Score
If you don't think its a penalty thats fine we can disagree but he turns his head because he got hit that is pretty obvious.
Ok, I watched it 4 more times. Yes, the head turned because of the contact.

But he's not a QB in the pocket, and this isn't the NFL. He's a runner with the ball 10+ yards downfield. The defender didn't grab the facemask. So I still don't understand why this would be a personal foul. For what?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok, I watched it 4 more times. Yes, the head turned because of the contact.

But he's not a QB in the pocket, and this isn't the NFL. He's a runner with the ball 10+ yards downfield. The defender didn't grab the facemask. So I still don't understand why this would be a personal foul. For what?

Well you can't hit anyone in the head anywhere on the field. It's hard to tell the force in slow motion - but it looks to me like he got him pretty good - but it's hard in slow motion. It's not a big deal and he still should have held onto the ball - it looks like any one of a dozen calls missed in any game. Since Maryland threw a pick on the next play it's not like it mattered anyway.

Reaction Score
Well you can't hit anyone in the head anywhere on the field.

Happens every game, but unless you grab the facemask there's no flag. I've seen guys get clotheslined and/or tackled by the helmet and there's no flag. One of our gunners nearly took the head off a UMass return man the first game and there was no flag.

Maybe you're right according to the letter of the law, but guys get hit in the head all the time.

Reaction Score
I don't see anything wrong there at all, when going for the you are taught to secure the tackle at the same time that is what the MD guy is trying to do with his right hand. Once Whitmer had the FD I was yelling at the TV "Watch your back watch your back"

Reaction Score
While the MD player did make contact with Whitmer's helmet, I don't think there was enough there to call a penalty.

The audio on that clip was pretty cool. I kept thinking that if it played a little longer, we were going to get instructions on where to leave a dufflebag full of money.

Reaction Score

Great post. Really? This is generating controvery. Great hustle by Maryland player (made something happen). Might have been a big confidence boost for Whitmer. Needs to secure the football, but other than that a very promising improvisation that may be useful going forward.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think it was intentional. I don't know for sure that he was trying to punch/gouge Whitmer. It's probably one of those things that looks worse in slow motion. It clearly got Whitmer's attention...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom