Diamond's Mom Speaks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diamond's Mom Speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Kids transfer all the time, athletes or plain old hell-raising party animals and an occasional Rhodes scholar. It seems as if it's only the star athlete who people think needs to explain, and my guess is DD's mom is just trying to take the heat off of her daughter (maybe advised to do so by Muffett). A 19 year old is certainly an adult for many legal purposes, but college freshman, make that college students, are not widely know for making mature, adult, decisions. Betcha if she wants to transfer to UConn and GA is of a mind to take her, she will be viewed on this board as having finally come to an adult decision. Fact is, with the rise of the internet, we know way too much about these kids before they reach 11th grade and that is sort of creepy.

Agree with a bit of an edit. Your last line is spot on.

YOPB

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Agree with a bit of an edit. Your last line is spot on.

YOPB
The Muffett line was just poking fun at the recent MM vs GA nonsense. What really offends me is that with the exception of Maya Moore, nobody but Mickey Mantle deserves to be know simply as MM, with apologies to Marilyn Minroe and Mickey and Minnie.

Reaction Score
Marshall Mathers? Believe he may have Eminem copyrighted.

Oh, and Mars may want their M&Ms included.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
have any of you considered that maybe she is being intentionally vague to spare her daughter or Hatchell embarrassment? maybe she is doing a good thing but not getting specific. if you ask me, she has said all that she ever needs to say. her daughter was not happy with UNC and she wants a different environment. don't forget this is a mother with a hurting child who just made a really big decision. we aren't entitled to know everything. just my thoughts...certainly not the gospel. :)

I agree with you LV9. I was thinking that quite possibly she is trying to make the best of an unexpectedly bad situation she unexpectedly found herself in and is trying to avoid hurting someone else. But I doubt it would be Hatchell given her relative absence from the team during the year.

I remember that harsh reaction many on this board had about Delle Donne's decision, and when we understood what the true motivation was, I believe most of us were eventually supportive of her heading back to Delaware. It may very well be that if and when folks ever come to understand DeShield's reasons, we may have the same compassion.

Reaction Score
I agree with you LV9. I was thinking that quite possibly she is trying to make the best of an unexpectedly bad situation she unexpectedly found herself in and is trying to avoid hurting someone else. But I doubt it would be Hatchell given her relative absence from the team during the year.

I remember that harsh reaction many on this board had about Delle Donne's decision, and when we understood what the true motivation was, I believe most of us were eventually supportive of her heading back to Delaware. It may very well be that if and when folks ever come to understand DeShield's reasons, we may have the same compassion.

great example with EDD. there is always more to the story than we know. i just want these kids to be happy.

Reaction Score
I second your thoughts Doggy..Interesting article though. But I have a question. Does she have to name a school , attend that school , and then sit out a year ; or can she just sit out a year and make a final choice of school's the following year?

According to NCAA rules, a transferring student must spend a year "in residence" at the school she intends to play at. Simply sitting out a year does not meet this requirement and would result in the student/athlete having to "red-shirt" another year and lose a year of eligibility with regard to the five to play four alprovision. I suppose the student/athlete could petition the NCAA for a sixth year, but, absent a compelling reason, such as a significant health problem, I seriously doubt that would be successful.

Jim

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It could be DD cannot articulate the factors that constitute an unhappy stew for her and have her moving on. It does not feel right, she is moving on. That should be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
great example with EDD. there is always more to the story than we know. i just want these kids to be happy.
It's not even close to the same. EDD transferred without playing a minute for Uconn. She didn't recruit several other players to join her at Uconn.

We all knew how close she was/is to her sister. We have no idea why DD is leaving UNC.

I don't see any similarities.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Also EDD literally went home, a school in the town where her family lives.

Reaction Score
EDD and DD both left top programs after seeing the school wasn't for them. yes, how and when they are different but each player made a tough decision knowing their departure would be controversial. not to mention that they are both uber talented players which makes the issue even more noteworthy.

their exits have similarities but no they are not identical.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
EDD and DD both left top programs after seeing the school wasn't for them. yes, how and when they are different but each player made a tough decision knowing their departure would be controversial. not to mention that they are both uber talented players which makes the issue even more noteworthy.

I see zero similarities in their exits. One left after 48 hours, the other is leaving after 48 weeks. The reasons, as far as we know, do not appear to be remotely similar.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...there were non-basketball factors...I'm not convinced that the amorphous issues that she ran into won't recur elsewhere.
So, basically, you're saying, no matter where she runs, Morpheus will still find her?!?:eek:
matrix.jpg

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

No, no similarities. One was running to something (EDD's love of her physically and emotionally challenged sister), the other seems from reports to be leaving something. What is not clear and it is not our business.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The words "same" and "similar" versus "identical" are similar but not identical. Apples and oranges are the same in that they are both fruits but they aren't identical.

I would consider EDD's and DD's circumstances similar to the extent that both are heralded players who left major programs very abruptly.

But as Icebear and others have noted, the reasons behind this similarity appear to be divergent, and I like how he puts it - EDD running to something, DD appearinig to be leaving from something.

Jim

Reaction Score
Heck... after she torched Duke for 30 in Cameron..... I felt that her choice for UNC was the wrong one as well :oops:
Perhaps it is your choice of team for which to root is the wrong one.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Seems like the more we hear, the less we know. Mom assures us that there are compelling reasons for Diamond's transfer, but neither she nor anyone else has yet given a clue what they might be. Square pegs - round holes is kind of abstract. One certainly wishes this talented young woman and her family all the best, but so far this wcbb post-season seems like a pilot for "WCBB - The Soap Opera", a series made for ESPN.

Really! I'm rather enjoying every bit of this saga. To speak is above all to posess the political power to speak. We are (I am, that is) learning how to do things with words; how to speak about things, but never saying what others want you to say- giving anything away. Will we at some point have heard enough and scream 'no more, please'. Maybe at summer end when we have the father's rendition of the 'Event'.
Wouldn't it be interesting if we are witnessing another EDD happening. Why not pick a little unranked school in the AAC and make them a contender!

Reaction Score
Seems like the more we hear, the less we know. Mom assures us that there are compelling reasons for Diamond's transfer, but neither she nor anyone else has yet given a clue what they might be. Square pegs - round holes is kind of abstract. One certainly wishes this talented young woman and her family all the best, but so far this wcbb post-season seems like a pilot for "WCBB - The Soap Opera", a series made for ESPN.

Really! I'm rather enjoying every bit of this saga. To speak is above all to posess the political power to speak. We are (I am, that is) learning how to do things with words; how to speak about things, but never saying what others want you to say- giving anything away. Will we at some point have heard enough and scream 'no more, please'. Maybe at summer end when we have the father's rendition of the 'Event'.
Wouldn't it be interesting if we are witnessing another EDD happening. Why not pick a little unranked school in the AAC and make them a contender!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

DD doesn't strike me as the type to do that. It could be anything - a falling out with a teammate, a romance gone bad, a desire to attend school in a bigger city. Who knows?

Reaction Score
Nobody knows what she is feeling and maybe, she was trying to please too many people and not herself.....Hopefully, she finds peace with herself and an move on to a much better place.......God Bless her and give her strength...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Nobody knows what she is feeling and maybe, she was trying to please too many people and not herself.....Hopefully, she finds peace with herself and an move on to a much better place..God Bless her and give her strength...
When it's all said and done, if you don't make yourself happy, you won't make anyone else happy.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's a long thread (series of threads), has anyone considered that Diamond might have realized that for her to reach her true potential requires a level of coaching generally not considered available at NC.

In that case her choices come down to Louisville, ND, Stanford, UConn and a very few others.

I would not be surprised if that outcome materializes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom