Diaco | The Boneyard

Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is Diaco's game coaching suspect? Yes, of course, but I'll take a coach who can recruit well in state, teach, let's his players play, and prepare his team, over an "I'm right and everyone else is wrong, coaching tyrant" like PP, any day. I say give him a couple more years. That being said , at game time he should go sit in the stands. Next two weeks will be very telling, both in the final score and the way CBD handles himself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am a longtime lurker and I dont kill for saying this but Uconn football doesn't have a couple of years to straighten out! The direhearts are always going to go to the games,but it's the people like myself who are mostly basketball fans who want to be football fans who are just not moved to go watch this kind of football! They need to put fannies in the seats and this kind of play won't do it! I didn't go to school at Uconn but have been following them all my life!

Reaction Score
Is Diaco's game coaching suspect? Yes, of course, but I'll take a coach who can recruit well in state, teach, let's his players play, and prepare his team, over an "I'm right and everyone else is wrong, coaching tyrant" like PP, any day. I say give him a couple more years. That being said , at game time he should go sit in the stands. Next two weeks will be very telling, both in the final score and the way CBD handles himself.

He has done some very good things in the program. Discipline, emphasis on strength and conditioning is back. But in 2016, when you're trying to get fans in the stadium to impress P5 conferences to invite YOU, it is probably not a good idea to run an offense less exciting than watching paint dry.

The second thing he doesn't seem to be improving in end of half coaching decisions. He almost fubared the end of the 1st half with 35 seconds left, inside your own 15 yd line. This got overlooked, but it's telling about the guy. If your who schtick as a coach is to play conservative, close games and win close games, you CAN'T be a disaster in end of half situations. This needs to be fixed by next week.

Reaction Score

I get what you're saying. But I want a great coach. One who isn't afraid of an occasional TO. One who has a dynamic offense. One who can coach the team to return a punt. One who can read a clock. Diaco is coaching at a high school level. He needs to up his game.

Reaction Score
He has done some very good things in the program. Discipline, emphasis on strength and conditioning is back. But in 2016, when you're trying to get fans in the stadium to impress P5 conferences to invite YOU, it is probably not a good idea to run an offense less exciting than watching paint dry.

The second thing he doesn't seem to be improving in end of half coaching decisions. He almost fubared the end of the 1st half with 35 seconds left, inside your own 15 yd line. This got overlooked, but it's telling about the guy. If your who schtick as a coach is to play conservative, close games and win close games, you CAN'T be a disaster in end of half situations. This needs to be fixed by next week.
I agree in part , and maybe it's not by design on Diaco's part but I think it's great to have a QB who is a threat to run for big chunks of yardage and is not afraid to lower his shoulder for a couple more, and is a decent passer, those facts are going to help Newsome be a better back as well. Things like this never would happen under a control freak coach. Our offense has some excitement if they can get some blocking and protection. Plain and simple our offensive line needs to improve.

Reaction Score

This quote is one of the best appraisals of where the UConn football program is right now.

Reaction Score
I am a longtime lurker and I dont kill for saying this but Uconn football doesn't have a couple of years to straighten out! The direhearts are always going to go to the games,but it's the people like myself who are mostly basketball fans who want to be football fans who are just not moved to go watch this kind of football! They need to put fannies in the seats and this kind of play won't do it! I didn't go to school at Uconn but have been following them all my life!
You either support the program or you don't. His job is to win football games with the players he has. If he wins every game 3-0 so be it, he did his job.

Your stance is not uncommon and frankly probably in the majority, but unfortunately that stance is why we are where we are.

Reaction Score
You either support the program or you don't. His job is to win football games with the players he has. If he wins every game 3-0 so be it, he did his job.

Your stance is not uncommon and frankly probably in the majority, but unfortunately that stance is why we are where we are.
Wrong. It's entertainment. You root for your team no matter what but for 3.5 quarters yesterday I sat there incredibly frustrated. I bring my nephew to a game every year for his birthday. He remarked how much enthusiasm he saw from fans and how so many people wore blue, but how most of the game "was boring". He is not a huge sports fan. You know how you make new fans. Don't make it a boring experience. Not everyone at those games is a nuanced football purist. People want to be entertained.

When Dan Orlovsky is publicly questioning what the hell were doing on offense, you can sure as hell bet the problem isn't the fans.

Reaction Score
Another thing with 1.5 minutes left in the 1st half, the UVA qb was something like 14-23 passing. We were 3-5, in passing attempts. 5 frigging passing attempts in the 1st half. That is the epitome of boring, conservative,snooze fest football.

Reaction Score
Wrong. It's entertainment. You root for your team no matter what but for 3.5 quarters yesterday I sat there incredibly frustrated. I bring my nephew to a game every year for his birthday. He remarked how much enthusiasm he saw from fans and how so many people wore blue, but how most of the game "was boring". He is not a huge sports fan. You know how you make new fans. Don't make it a boring experience. Not everyone at those games is a nuanced football purist. People want to be entertained.

When Dan Orlovsky is publicly questioning what the hell were doing on offense, you can sure as hell bet the problem isn't the fans.
So you would rather he run a run and shoot offense with his terrible o line and average QB and so you can be entertained while you watch them get blown out and he gets fired?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless we are growing one behind Horsebarn Hill, I'm not so sure we can attract a better coach that wouldn't be a crap shoot at this particular moment. See our next two ACC opponents for reference. Money is going to be a problem. Conference is going to be a problem. I find Diaco's flaws as maddening as everyone else, but we could do (and have done) worse.

Reaction Score
So you would rather he run a run and shoot offense with his terrible o line and average QB and so you can be entertained while you watch them get blown out and he gets fired?
The OL is not as bad as you make it sound. No way Shirreffs has the 2nd half he did against Navy if it was. If you want to be honest, they've struggled more in straight ahead run blocking than pass blocking. The QB is looking to tuck and run before there is even pressure in many instances. That could be because our pass routes/design are too basic and the 1st 2 reads are covered off rip.

Bottom line is this, the MAC is filled with teams that put up plenty of offense. North Dakota State went on the road and beat 23th ranked Iowa.

We look the way we look by design. That is what Bob Diaco wants. He talked about loving Newsome's big plays but hating the fumble. He is risk averse by nature. He wants maximum results with minimal risks. Unless you have Alabama or Stanford or Michigan State top talent, that is a lot to ask.

Reaction Score
The OL is not as bad as you make it sound. No way Shirreffs has the 2nd half he did against Navy if it was. If you want to be honest, they've struggled more in straight ahead run blocking than pass blocking. The QB is looking to tuck and run before there is even pressure in many instances. That could be because our pass routes/design are too basic and the 1st 2 reads are covered off rip.

Bottom line is this, the MAC is filled with teams that put up plenty of offense. North Dakota State went on the road and beat 23th ranked Iowa.

We look the way we look by design. That is what Bob Diaco wants. He talked about loving Newsome's big plays but hating the fumble. He is risk averse by nature. He wants maximum results with minimal risks. Unless you have Alabama or Stanford or Michigan State top talent, that is a lot to ask.
No one is happy with the offense, I would love to open it up, but my original point was that it is not Diaco's job to run a scheme he believes will lead to failure so people can be entertained. His job is to win games, period.

Reaction Score
During last night's game with Michigan St.

Nick Baumgardner ✔ @nickbaumgardner
Brian Kelly right in his DC's face: "What the duck _ _ are you doing?"
11:12 PM - 17 Sep 2016
147 147 Retweets 192 192 likes

I'm sure Diaco is thrilled he no longer holds that DC position. Kelly's got to be a pain to work for.

Reaction Score

No. Just do what was successful in 2nd half at Navy. no huddle, roll out Sherriffs, more counters, and short, quick hitting passes.

Reaction Score
During last night's game with Michigan St.

Nick Baumgardner ✔ @nickbaumgardner
Brian Kelly right in his DC's face: "What the duck _ _ are you doing?"
11:12 PM - 17 Sep 2016
147 147 Retweets 192 192 likes

I'm sure Diaco is thrilled he no longer holds that DC position. Kelly's got to be a pain to work for.

Well if you watched that defensive scheme all game and you were the HC, he was lucky that's all he heard.

Reaction Score

I am sorry you feel I am part of the problem! I would like to think I am a Uconn supporter ,however at this time I would rather not sit through theses kind of games ! I went to the Maine game and may go to the Cuse game, but I ask friends and co-workers to join me and they laugh! Our company offered an outing where they would pay for the tickets! Cancelled lack of interest!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am sorry you feel I am part of the problem! I would like to think I am a Uconn supporter ,however at this time I would rather not sit through theses kind of games ! I went to the Maine game and may go to the Cuse game, but I ask friends and co-workers to join me and they laugh! Our company offered an outing where they would pay for the tickets! Cancelled lack of interest!

You do know that you can end sentences with something other than an exclamation point?

Reaction Score

Is Diaco's job to win games? Yes it is. You're fooling yourself if you don't think putting out a product that makes people want to go to games isn't important. The idea that the weather is impediment to a more open passing attack is silly.

Reaction Score
You know there is a middle ground between run and shoot and 7 1st half passes? Unfortunately our coach only realizes this when the team is down 3 scores on the road it seems.

They better have something up their sleeve next week. SU will grind out 1st downs with their horizontal passing game and our D will wear out late if that is the case.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No one is happy with the offense, I would love to open it up, but my original point was that it is not Diaco's job to run a scheme he believes will lead to failure so people can be entertained. His job is to win games, period.
There is a wide spectrum of possible outcomes between what we run now and the abject failure you predict if he changes. You can still be productive despite our limitations and Diaco chooses not to. This is objectively awful football to watch. Fans supporting no matter what is the most unrealistic expectation. We clearly don't have that so instead of implying there's something wrong with fans when we need all we can get - how about playing just moderately interesting football to start winning people back? I'm not looking for unrealistic, I'm talking baseline vanilla Edsall as something to strive for. Is that unrealistic to expect? It shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
Is Diaco's job to win games? Yes it is. You're fooling yourself if you don't think putting out a product that makes people want to go to games isn't important. The idea that the weather is impediment to a more open passing attack is silly.

Using weather as the main reason why we can't run a high octane spread is so lame. Last I checked, Utah, Idaho, and Maryland aren't exactly warm. I don't see teams like Boise, Utah, Byu, and Maryland running spread with major issues. That and the fact running up the middle on first downs haven't exactly been working.

People that think it's not coach's responsibility to put an entertaining team on the field totally don't understand entertainment. Sports are entertainment last I checked. We are not exactly fighting for survival here. Diaco is anti-entertainment. We been lucky we been winning. We could just as easily be 0-3 vs. 2-1 or 3-0 right now. His margin of error is slim to none. On top of it, it is pretty boring even for die hard UConn football fans.

Reaction Score
I feel like the offense was much more aggressive in year 1/2 of Diaco

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not only is it not entertaining, this allergic reaction to scoring points is just bad football strategy. He's damn lucky to be 2-1 instead of 0-3. Scoring the bare minimum of points literally leaves no margin for error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom