Diaco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
So you would rather he run a run and shoot offense with his terrible o line and average QB and so you can be entertained while you watch them get blown out and he gets fired?

if you dont realize there is something between a run and shoot offense and the slow bleed that is our offense then you may be the problem. yes he is winning games and we are in a position to win all 3 games we have played this season but as many have pointed out this is entertainment and the casual fan needs to be drawn in and given a reason to stay. i am a season ticket holder and consider myself a die hard fan but unfortunately there are not 40k of those within driving range of the rent that we can count on to sit through this abomination for "fun". I was unable to attend on Saturday because i had a wedding i had to go to so i gave my tickets to a co worker. he is a huge sports fan and has a son (12yrs old) who he said by half time was asking to leave because "this game is boring, why dont they score more touchdowns?" people need to realize we aren't Nebraska and for now we must also be an entertainment entity.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You either support the program or you don't. His job is to win football games with the players he has. If he wins every game 3-0 so be it, he did his job.

Your stance is not uncommon and frankly probably in the majority, but unfortunately that stance is why we are where we are.
I would rather go 9-3 winning 13-10 than going 3-9 and losing 41-31...
I am in the minority. Most fans want the excitement of high octane offense regardless of seasonal outcome.

Reaction Score
I would rather go 9-3 winning 13-10 than going 3-9 and losing 41-31...
I am in the minority. Most fans want the excitement of high octane offense regardless of seasonal outcome.
I'm not sure those are the only alternatives though. Especially when the first 3 games are Maine Navy & Viginia. I get the idea of hanging around and hoping to win in the 4th quarter and it makes sense against better teams but if you can't score against some bad defenses it's a problem

Reaction Score
I'm not sure those are the only alternatives though. Especially when the first 3 games are Maine Navy & Viginia. I get the idea of hanging around and hoping to win in the 4th quarter and it makes sense against better teams but if you can't score against some bad defenses it's a problem

Am I the only one getting tired of people pretending that we didn't score 24 and 24 points our first two games, having left points on the board both times?

Look, I have been plenty critical of this offense but it's not anything like we've played three straight 13-10 games. Our first two games suffered from a lot, but points wasn't one of them.

People really need to grow up some.

Reaction Score
if you dont realize there is something between a run and shoot offense and the slow bleed that is our offense then you may be the problem. yes he is winning games and we are in a position to win all 3 games we have played this season but as many have pointed out this is entertainment and the casual fan needs to be drawn in and given a reason to stay. i am a season ticket holder and consider myself a die hard fan but unfortunately there are not 40k of those within driving range of the rent that we can count on to sit through this abomination for "fun". I was unable to attend on Saturday because i had a wedding i had to go to so i gave my tickets to a co worker. he is a huge sports fan and has a son (12yrs old) who he said by half time was asking to leave because "this game is boring, why dont they score more touchdowns?" people need to realize we aren't Nebraska and for now we must also be an entertainment entity.
the run and shoot comment was hyperbole, but Diaco is not coaching to entertain 12 year olds. Nothing more needs to be said on that subject.

Reaction Score
The offense managed a paltry 17 against Navy. The other score came on a fumble recovery. And sorry if I don't get all excited that we put up 24 on a mediocre FCS team. Jeez I hate to put it so bluntly but our offense stinks. And 13 vs Virginia was just sad. Trying to say scoring is t a problem when we put up those numbers against that competition is just strange.

The other problem is that for a guy who stresses protection of the football at all costs even points, we have this ugly tendency to turn it over in scoring territory. Did it in the Maine game and it went 75 yards the other way and did it twice against Virginia. Once with the int in the endzone and ice with the Newsome fumble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you guys thing that running is boring? Is that it? Because, as a guy who watched a couple of tailbacks go for over 300 in a game while at KU, I don't think it is. What's boring is a run game that doesn't succeed. Some of that is play calling and some of it is execution. But striving to run a balanced, pro-style offense isn't a bad thing. UConn calls plenty of pass plays, unfortunately, many are turned into runs by the OL or Shireffs. More of those passes could be downfield as well, not bombs, but intermediate range, with fewer WR screens.

What I think the offense needs most is a better execution and a better run blocking scheme. It isn't working. Pull the guards and run sweeps, do something different. I guarantee that Newsome breaking a long run will be plenty exciting. Johnson crushing a safety at the end of a 10 yard run is exciting. They need to score more, but I don't think they need to go to a spread offense to do that, nor should they.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one getting tired of people pretending that we didn't score 24 and 24 points our first two games, having left points on the board both times?

Look, I have been plenty critical of this offense but it's not anything like we've played three straight 13-10 games. Our first two games suffered from a lot, but points wasn't one of them.

Not sure getting 24 on Maine is some great feat at home given they gave up 45 to Toledo who probably took the foot off the gas leading 38 to 3 end of 3rd qtr. The 24 against Navy had 7 from the defense.
Highest scoring team of 128 in FBS is 65 per game, 99 teams score 24 per game (not just per some games), UConn is 108th at 20.3 per game. ESPN has something they call "offensive efficiency", not really sure how calculated but sure sounds like some type of judgement on how effective your offense is per play/game. Highest is 98.1 median is 48.2, UConn is 111th at 24.9.
Playing against 2 teams with no victories as yet and a team that gave up 14 to a team that only scored 3 against Wake Forest (UConn only scored 17 on offense vs Navy to Tulane's 14) having the 108th best scoring team is weak.
Perhaps these posters who should "grow up" in your estimate are in fact grown up and see the offense as it is related to overall FBS football which is - very poor.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If only we started each possession 7 yards closer to the end zone.

This thread needed a shout out to the punt return game.

Reaction Score
Not sure getting 24 on Maine is some great feat at home given they gave up 45 to Toledo who probably took the foot off the gas leading 38 to 3 end of 3rd qtr. The 24 against Navy had 7 from the defense.
Highest scoring team of 128 in FBS is 65 per game, 99 teams score 24 per game (not just per some games), UConn is 108th at 20.3 per game. ESPN has something they call "offensive efficiency", not really sure how calculated but sure sounds like some type of judgement on how effective your offense is per play/game. Highest is 98.1 median is 48.2, UConn is 111th at 24.9.
Playing against 2 teams with no victories as yet and a team that gave up 14 to a team that only scored 3 against Wake Forest (UConn only scored 17 on offense vs Navy to Tulane's 14) having the 108th best scoring team is weak.
Perhaps these posters who should "grow up" in your estimate are in fact grown up and see the offense as it is related to overall FBS football which is - very poor.

No, the offense has been very poor and I have been very frustrated by it. I have said as much repeatedly. But our scoring is up over where it was the last two years, and it's not anything like we've been unable to score at all. Which, if you listen to some of the whining, you wouldn't know.

Reaction Score
Last year we were something like 120th in scoring. Biz wants to throw a parade because we've climbed all the way to 108th.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Last year we were something like 120th in scoring. Biz wants to throw a parade because we've climbed all the way to 108th.

Serious question - you believe the attendance numbers would grow for UConn FB if we are 3-9 and average 31 a game and they wont grow if we are 9-3 averaging 13 points a game?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think seeing someone break off a long run is as/more exciting than a long passing play.

Reaction Score
Serious answer is that winning is the most important thing. But it is more than just winning. But, and I might not explain this well, but given the situation we are in conference wise and the ugly football we have played over the past 5-6 years there is a perception that UConn football is terrible. And being 108 or whatever in scoring, almost losing to Maine the keystone Kops finish against Navy all sort of feed into that narrative. We could score 60 points per game and if we are 3-9 nobody shows up. 9-3 with everyone 13-10 games it is solid but 9-3 with wide open exciting games is better. And it depends on who the 9 and who the 3 are to some extent too. 9-3 with no "good wins" P5 or ranked teams is less good than 9-3 with only a non conference win over Maine . 13-10 over Houston is a very different narrative than 13-10 over Virginia. One is an offensive failure the other is a titanic defensive performance. Much of this is about narrative and right now the narrative is that UConn is a bad team in a weak league. I guess the bottom line is that scoring is one factor but wins and who those wins are against are also factors.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
We could be Texas Tech and be second highest scoring offense and go 7-6. That sounds fun.

I agree the offense is a problem but HIGH OCTANE FLING it around doesn't guarantee fans or victories.

Reaction Score

Well 24 versus Maine isn't impressive . And we had a defensive score against NAVY. So the offense is averaging 18 a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom