Diaco is starting to rub me the wrong way | The Boneyard

Diaco is starting to rub me the wrong way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"It’s not about winning and losing games. That mission and a job well done on that mission of cultivating and developing young men is what drives me personally and it has been for some time"

You want to help college kids become better people, that's cool. But what I want, as a season ticket holder and Alumnus, is wins. I want to see heads rolling. I want to see other teams come into our house and leave wishing they never came.

Make these young men into great people. Fine but I honestly dont care. They will grow up one way or another. We all have.

Show me winning football and save the hippie crap for your Kumbaya circles.
Give me some Mike Ditka fire, give me some Gruden stares. For the love of God, give us hard nosed football not tree hugging.

Just sayin.

--C

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure he'll toss and turn all night tonight knowing that...
Well you can go join his hippie circles and pass the spliff. I'll be waiting for a blind sided sack with the ball spitting out picked up for 6 our way.

Reaction Score
Yeah, um let's see him coach a game before we decry his lack of winning. All talk is cheap. He is being paid handsomely to win. It is what all coaches get paid to do. He sounds a lot like Kevin Ollie. He is developing young men and winning.

Reaction Score
Yeah, um let's see him coach a game before we decry his lack of winning. All talk is cheap. He is being paid handsomely to win. It is what all coaches get paid to do. He sounds a lot like Kevin Ollie. He is developing young men and winning.
Roger that. But this is a violent sport. I do want to see these young men become great people but as a season ticket holder I want entertainment and wins.

I do need to give him a few games, but if he is doling out hugs and kisses at the end of the game to someone who hurts their finger I'll have an aneurism.

Reaction Score
"It’s not about winning and losing games. That mission and a job well done on that mission of cultivating and developing young men is what drives me personally and it has been for some time"
You want to help college kids become better people, that's cool. But what I want, as a season ticket holder and Alumnus, is wins. I want to see heads rolling. I want to see other teams come into our house and leave wishing they never came.

Make these young men into great people. Fine but I honestly dont care. They will grow up one way or another. We all have.

Give me some Mike Ditka fire, give me some Gruden stares. For the love of God, give us hard nosed football not tree hugging.

Just sayin.

--C

I suspect that coach Diaco believes that "cultivating and developing" young men leads to wins. I am sure he understands that if his team does not win he does not get to the chance to accomplish his mission.

Reaction Score
Hey Cody,
Seems to me, IMHO, you might have a point if it's December and we're 2 & 9 going into the SMU....you need to back off until you see results. He is in this to WIN baby..... He has already started winning and that's in the locker room and weight room and personal accomplishments that each of the DEVELOPING PLAYERS are achieving. He is developing a winning program...ask the 18 players who have left already and by last count...the 14 new recruits, (so far) salivating to get into the program in 2015. So, being an alumnus like you...don't * on the program. This guy is going to go down as one of the great coaches of our time by the time all is said and done. Sit back and enjoy the process and ride. By the time he's done, it's going to be a beautiful cruise.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well you can go join his hippie circles and pass the spliff. I'll be waiting for a blind sided sack with the ball spitting out picked up for 6 our way.
He has yet been given the opportunity to show you that. In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with show how he is talking. The more parents hear it, the more agreeable to letting (urging) their child to go to UConn.

Reaction Score
You're putting the cart before the horse.

He has to clear out the culture of crap that he-who-shall-not-be-named introduced into our football program before he can start pushing for 8 or 9 or 10 win seasons. It's a long term plan.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're putting the cart before the horse.

He has to clear out the culture of crap that he-who-shall-not-be-named introduced into our football program before he can start pushing for 8 or 9 or 10 win seasons. It's a long term plan.
Yeah, it took Harry Potter 7 books and 8 Movies!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Gotta love UCONN fans. First, we get all emotional about a friggin' press conference. Now, we're losing our minds over a throw-away quote (that, incidentally, parents of the kids being recruited by UCONN will LOVE). I'm not looking forward to the "Fire Diaco" threads after our first inside draw play.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Gotta love UCONN fans. First, we get all emotional about a friggin' press conference. Now, we're losing our minds over a throw-away quote (that, incidentally, parents of the kids being recruited by UCONN will LOVE). I'm not looking forward to the "Fire Diaco" after our first inside draw play.
Freescooter probably has that thread chambered already.

Reaction Score
Even Palatine is wating for the first game to be played before talking hot seat (I say that with Peace and Love, Peace and Love)

Reaction Score

My thoughts exactly. Job number 1: change the culture. With a new mindset positive growth along with strength/conditioning gains Diaco is setting this program up to do just that, WIN.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Just sayin.

--C

Yeah. ANd that Ollie guy. He needs to be fired too. He won't win with this attitude.

"Basketball is second to me. I want them to be better people once they leave Storrs campus. If I did that, forget about the wins and losses, national championship, all that stuff. I think I've done my job," he said. This sentiment is about having a bigger goal than just winning a title, making money, or beating your competitors. Ollie's focus was on making his players champions of life--pushing them to become better people.

Reaction Score

That sounds like Diaco's version of, "we don't chase championships, championships chase us."

Reaction Score

Just sayin.

--C

"Coach speak" ... that is all.

I get what you're saying about Ditka ... but don't forget that his big mouth basically got him fired after the Ricky Williams trade. Ditka totally got played on that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom