Diaco is starting to rub me the wrong way | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diaco is starting to rub me the wrong way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone agree Diaco is earning the respect and praise from these recruits parents as well? I would imagine the final decision is the kids, but it can't hurt that if a parent hears these things from a coach it would certainly have a positive influence in the decision making procesS?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like Diaco. I think he was the best possible (as in people who'd take the job) choice for the program. (And now the inevitable but....)

But...I get the sense that he thinks the program is a wreck and that the results on the field are going to reveal that to the world. Now that I have no idea if that is an accurate assessment of his opinion, and if so, whether it is an accurate assessment of the state of the program, but it is the feeling that I get. Of course, he could be a media savvy guy who is hedging his bets or setting himself up as a savior.

I think the program was a much bigger train wreck then we even understood the past three seasons.

It's going to take time to fix and Diaco seems to be the right guy to do it... but it's not going to be one spring and summer to wash away the last administration.

Reaction Score
None of this love crap you two

I'd be willing to line up in a 3 point stance against each other and charge BY'ers $10 to watch. All proceeds go towards purchasing tix to future UConn games to worthy recipients.

Reaction Score
Sorry Cody, you had your hard ass approach with GDL. He spit on his players, insulted their manhood, told them they were worthless. Demoralized them. Had the parents wanting to pull them out of school. How'd that style work out for you? I'll take the KO and BD approach anytime. This team has bonded in a way I can't remember seeing, other than after the stabbing death of Jazz. They're ready for battle and ready to win. Bet on it. Take the points.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
The caution flag by Diaco is there, he knows what is coming. When he talks at the Middlesex Chamber breakfast, the knows that a fracture is coming. He's talking about the foundations and the coming pressure..

Here's to hoping that the groundwork pulls them together enough that they bend but don't break under the coming adversity... 7 days and hours until kickoff!

Reaction Score
@Carl Spackler , I've gone into houses to take firearms from convicted felons. I can assure I'm neither naive or easily spooked. I just felt terrible for that gentlemen and what he must have felt in his final moments and for his family knowing what he went through. I did not watch the video. In my dream I was trying to hammer nails into the mask mans head to send a stronger message fwiw.

That is just a different level of awful. Now back to football.

Reaction Score
I'd be willing to line up in a 3 point stance against each other and charge BY'ers $10 to watch. All proceeds go towards purchasing tix to future UConn games to worthy recipients.
That would be awesome. I'm 6' and 245lbs.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

That sounds like Diaco's version of, "we don't chase championships, championships chase us."

Yes, they are receiving a free ride and their mission is to be champions in the game of life.

Reaction Score
Sorry Cody, you had your hard ass approach with GDL. He spit on his players, insulted their manhood, told them they were worthless. Demoralized them. Had the parents wanting to pull them out of school. How'd that style work out for you? I'll take the KO and BD approach anytime. This team has bonded in a way I can't remember seeing, other than after the stabbing death of Jazz. They're ready for battle and ready to win. Bet on it. Take the points.
Hold on one minute here. I never said I wanted a demoralizing coach. I've had that in my own experience and it sucked. I'm just sayin I want more "fire" and less "lovey dovey" stuff.
You're taking what I said completely the wrong way. I hope I'm more clear now

Reaction Score
I don't really care if Diaco is in their faces or patting them on the back, just get the Huskies into a bowl game this year, get them in the mix for a conference championship next year and knocking on the door of the final top 25 the year after that. I think all these motivational speeches will calm down once he gets his nose dirty as a head coach. Right now he isn't just trying to sell the system to the players he's trying to sell the program to everyone. Once he has a track record of winning he won't have to sell as hard.
What? You mean all this is not going to happen this year ? Fire his ass right now. :D

Reaction Score
Hold on one minute here. I never said I wanted a demoralizing coach. I've had that in my own experience and it sucked. I'm just sayin I want more "fire" and less "lovey dovey" stuff.
I think the "fire" is there at practice with the players and the "lovey dovey" stuff is just for public consumption to show the parents and fans he cares - which I think he really does.

Reaction Score

How can you say Diaco hasn't shown any fire? To me, he has shown passion, enthusiasm, the drive to be great, the drive to want to win, all of this to me again embodies the fire that you may speak of. He's got more energy than 98% of the roster. If he was allowed to he'd probably suit up and hit the field still. I think your comments about wanting more fire etc., will soon be a total joke (to me they already are).

Reaction Score
"It’s not about winning and losing games. That mission and a job well done on that mission of cultivating and developing young men is what drives me personally and it has been for some time"

You want to help college kids become better people, that's cool. But what I want, as a season ticket holder and Alumnus, is wins. I want to see heads rolling. I want to see other teams come into our house and leave wishing they never came.

Make these young men into great people. Fine but I honestly dont care. They will grow up one way or another. We all have.

Show me winning football and save the hippie crap for your Kumbaya circles.
Give me some Mike Ditka fire, give me some Gruden stares. For the love of God, give us hard nosed football not tree hugging.

Just sayin.

--C
shut up, please before you start to sound more stupid and ignorant than you already are

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I suspect that coach Diaco believes that "cultivating and developing" young men leads to wins. I am sure he understands that if his team does not win he does not get to the chance to accomplish his mission.
Save the cultivating young minds for the Yale - Harvard crowd. I want royal kicking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My doctor would say you're obese.

In his defense, he's got like 14 cellphones in his pockets at that weight.

He is also lighter than what Cochrane played at last year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Cody 1
IDC BY repliers 0

I think most BYers here too young to remember IDC.

Reaction Score
In his defense, he's got like 14 cellphones in his pockets at that weight.

He is also lighter than what Cochrane played at last year.

Comes in at 212 and plays more than 245 his RS soph year. Find that hard to believe. I'm probably wrong, but that just sounds crazy.

Reaction Score
Obese is a strong word. Yeah I got some extra but I'd much rather be 245 than 175. Military had me at 205.
All this damn tailgating had gotten to me ;-)

Reaction Score
Rats. I had 7:05 pm on August 29 in the "Most Premature Criticism of Our First-Year Head Coach" Pool.
At least it's only a week before the start of the season. Do you remember the KO criticism before he was even hired?

Last edited:

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
There was a reason why Diaco wanted the railings in the Burton re-painted in red, and why he says this stuff too- its to rebuild the program and the football culture here at UConn. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom