Dez practice 4 notes | The Boneyard

Dez practice 4 notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Dez is killing it. Great stuff especially OL info. Nice to hear about Jimmy Bennett but it's really tough to rely on him with his history. Bocheloh is good enough to move Paull to guard. To some degree they are set and can concentrate on jelling.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Oh that Dez, giving us a little tease on the QBs and saying that more is coming....! I know it's spring, it's early... but I'm hopeful this team will be a lot more well rounded this season.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were hopeful every spring and people laughed. Low and behold they were world champs.

If we don't have the next Dan O or better in the group of QB's we have right now I say we never will. We are way, way over due.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were hopeful every spring and people laughed. Low and behold they were world champs.

If we don't have the next Dan O or better in the group of QB's we have right now I say we never will. We are way, way over due.

When did Tampa win a world series?

Reaction Score
Dez does a great job of coverage,. I think. I'm hopeful on the quarterback situation this year, too for the first time since 2006. I also hope that we get more consistent kicking from say 40-45 yards. That was my one beef with Dave Teggart. He could hit from 52 and miss from 41. He left a fair number of points on the field from that length. And missing a 40 yard field goa can be pretty devistating to an offense. Glad to hear the oline seems to be working out well.

Reaction Score
it sounds like Shakim Phillips is legitimate. maybe i'm overly optimistic, but i think we'll have a very good WR corps this year. between Phillips, and Michael Smith i think we have a good duo. Nick Williams will make some big plays, and i think we have a lot of solid options with Tebucky, Abrams and Davis. Griffin has ranged from solid to terrific at TE. all the tools Whitmer will need for 3000 yards.

Reaction Score
Dez does a great job of coverage,. I think. I'm hopeful on the quarterback situation this year, too for the first time since 2006. I also hope that we get more consistent kicking from say 40-45 yards. That was my one beef with Dave Teggart. He could hit from 52 and miss from 41. He left a fair number of points on the field from that length. And missing a 40 yard field goa can be pretty devistating to an offense. Glad to hear the oline seems to be working out well.

it seemed like he had the most trouble with 35-40 kicks from the hash marks. never missed straight and long, put occasionally shanked from the wide angle shots. at least the hash marks are closer in the NFL so he should be awesome at that level

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
it sounds like Shakim Phillips is legitimate. maybe i'm overly optimistic, but i think we'll have a very good WR corps this year. between Phillips, and Michael Smith i think we have a good duo. Nick Williams will make some big plays, and i think we have a lot of solid options with Tebucky, Abrams and Davis. Griffin has ranged from solid to terrific at TE. all the tools Whitmer will need for 3000 yards.

and don't forget mcneal will be here this summer for added depth.

Reaction Score
Ok so they lost the World Series to the Phillies in 2008 For them thats winning. My point was "hope springs eternal" duckin' killjoys. (grin)

Reaction Score
If whoever replaces Teggart can be-- just as good--- from any of the distances and angles. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I heard from a reliable source (# of players) that Dez is seriously over-hyping Cochran and that he hasn't looked good at all... Don't mean to be negative, just reporting what i hear. Saying Nebrich at this point last year looked a lot better.

Reaction Score
I heard from a reliable source (# of players) that Dez is seriously over-hyping Cochran and that he hasn't looked good at all... Don't mean to be negative, just reporting what i hear. Saying Nebrich at this point last year looked a lot better.
. Be careful with the truth here lots of sensitive people,maybe candy coat it a little more. Lmfao!

Reaction Score
I was very, very impressed with Jimmy Bennett at the spring game last year. On one play he disengaged from a DE to pick up a blitzing LB and stopped him dead in his tracks. If it wasn't for the injuries he'd prolly been our best OT this side of Will Beatty. I wonder if he'd be in consideration for a 6th year of eligibility.

Reaction Score

Des is definitely a big time hyper (last year, he thought Johnny McEntee's accuracy and pocket awareness were off the charts)...

That being said, Nebrich's strong spring and rumors of winning the starting spot won him the awesome reward of...a blown redshirt. Now he's in the no man's land of either winning the job straight up over Whitmer, or being too good to redshirt, and essentially being one of those QB's who only ends up playing one or two years as the starter.

If Casey isn't quite ready, I'm fine with that - redshirt the kid and lets play tomorrow.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't think Dez is about hyping...I think it's just tough to judge these kids in spring practice. Ever since Dez said how good Difton looked, I realized that following spring football too close is somewhat pointless.

But....I still look for his updates because I am starved for football....lol. I just don't take them that serious.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't think Dez is about hyping...I think it's just tough to judge these kids in spring practice. Ever since Dez said how good Difton looked, I realized that following spring football too close is somewhat pointless.

But....I still look for his updates because I am starved for football....lol. I just don't take them that serious.
Exactly. :)

Reaction Score

Man.....great post!!!!!!

That should really help bring the team together.

Honest to god, if you are really a UCONN board why would you post somthing like that on a public message board?

Reaction Score
I think we all are starved for real info and Dez provides some of that. But to expect him to provide assessments of who is winning the position battles is not realistic and is also not his role. He's giving his opinion on how players look to him, but he doesn't know what play was being run and how well each player executed his role. That's something the coaches are making notes on so they can have some empirical data to make decisions later. I don't look to Dez to give me a score on who's winning the positions but rather who's playing what positions(reporting) and did he think they looked good in the role(opinion). Then obviously, what do the coaches have to say about what they saw(reporting). Dez seems to take both roles seriously but to give his opinion any strong weight or to hold him to misjudgments is a mistake because he doesn't know what the coaches are thinking unless they share that and that's what will matter. I just appreciate that he has the access and can provide some insight into what is happening.

Reaction Score
I think we all are starved for real info and Dez provides some of that. But to expect him to provide assessments of who is winning the position battles is not realistic and is also not his role. He's giving his opinion on how players look to him, but he doesn't know what play was being run and how well each player executed his role. That's something the coaches are making notes on so they can have some empirical data to make decisions later. I don't look to Dez to give me a score on who's winning the positions but rather who's playing what positions(reporting) and did he think they looked good in the role(opinion). Then obviously, what do the coaches have to say about what they saw(reporting). Dez seems to take both roles seriously but to give his opinion any strong weight or to hold him to misjudgments is a mistake because he doesn't know what the coaches are thinking unless they share that and that's what will matter. I just appreciate that he has the access and can provide some insight into what is happening.

This is exactly right. Read his opinions for entertainment, be thrilled that he's talking Husky football during the offseason, but give his player evaluations whatever weight they have earned in your eyes over time. But no reason to be critical of his opinions -- just take them for what they are.

Reaction Score
Why do coaches get paid to coach, because they're good at it!
Why do scouts get paid to scout, because they're good at it!
Why do players get scholarships to play, because they're good at it!
Why do reporters get paid to report, because they're good at it!

Why would you ask a reporter to scout a player, and ask if he should be starting as if he's a coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom