Devin Robinson | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Devin Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does robinson even fill a need for us? As 99 stated, he's not even a small ball 4. It would really make no sense for him to come here and not get tick, when he could go to indiana and play much more. Swift would be interesting energy guy who probably understands he isn't good enough to start right away.
He's a top 20 player, do you honestly think he wouldn't get any tick here??? Drives me nuts when our fans talk about top recruits and whether there is enough room for them. When Kentucky is stockpiling similar talents every single year I've never once heard one of their fans wonder if there is playing time for them. If Robinson comes here he will play a ton.

Reaction Score
He's a top 20 player, do you honestly think he wouldn't get any tick here??? Drives me nuts when our fans talk about top recruits and whether there is enough room for them. When Kentucky is stockpiling similar talents every single year I've never once heard one of their fans wonder if there is playing time for them. If Robinson comes here he will play a ton.

^Bingo

Reaction Score
Does robinson even fill a need for us? As 99 stated, he's not even a small ball 4. It would really make no sense for him to come here and not get tick, when he could go to indiana and play much more. Swift would be interesting energy guy who probably understands he isn't good enough to start right away.

He looks like a potential stretch 4 to me from his high school highlight videos. With Cassell in the fold, we're adding two 1/2 combos in Purvis and Sam, a 2/3 in Hamilton, and a 4/5 in Lubin. I think our biggest remaining recruiting need is a 3/4 - a guy who can provide some steady offense and play inside on D. DRob would seem to be a great fit.

Reaction Score
only so many minutes to be had there, if Boat returns then Boat and Purvis are guaranteed starters in the backcourt. if he doesn't Cassell could possibly be good enought to start right off the bat due to his skills and advanced age, then who knows if Samuel progresses to the point where he starts or commands alot of minutes. I'm sure we'll see Omar spending some time @ the 2 probably starting as early as this season but going forward we're gonna have alot of talent at the guard and wing spots, if Robinson only wants to play the 3 spot, then there is going to be a minutes crunch. The whole 3/4 dilemma that these recruits have is dumb imo, its not like we're asking DeAndre to play like a bully on the block, he's doing alot of his work from the perimeter and shooting fadeaways and turnarounds in the post, stuff that he would do as a 3 in the NBA.
I don't think there is anyway Boat comes back. He's ready to be paid (in his mind). If he comes back ill be shocked, but very happy. I don't think Cassell or Samuel would keep Robinson out of he lineup. Can't keep a top 20 guy sitting on the bench for them. They seem to be good players but not in same category as Robinson. You can shuffle the lineup to make it work.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyway Boat comes back. He's ready to be paid (in his mind). If he comes back ill be shocked, but very happy. I don't think Cassell or Samuel would keep Robinson out of he lineup. Can't keep a top 20 guy sitting on the bench for them. They seem to be good players but not in same category as Robinson. You can shuffle the lineup to make it work.

They could keep him out of the lineup in the sense that they play completely different positions and have nothing to do with one another. It would be great to sign Devin Robinson, but there will definitely be competition for playing time and he will be one of several fighting for time. Daniel Hamilton is a higher ranked player of about the same size and who is called a 2/3, but who will be more likely to be finding time in the 3/4 spots, IMHO. I hope we get Devin, but I am feeling much better after signing Sam. He was a bigger need. At this point, there is no need or room for Chicken Little reactions...we have a really good class signed and whatever we get from here on out is gravy.

Reaction Score

Depends on Purvis and his ability to play point. We had to put Austrie/Garrison out there before MW coming back, despite them being the ninth/tenth best players on that team.

Reaction Score
I hate to bring up his name but if we lose out on Robinson do you think Kasongo is the backup plan? Seems pretty obvious he wants to be a Husky, especially after him retweeting Cassell and tweeting him congrats today.
I claim to have no inside information but believe that for whatever reason UConn is no longer recruiting Kasongo. It may be that the people around Kasongo sufficiently pissed off the UConn staff enough that they moved on. Oregon may also feel frustrated. I wouldn't be surprised to see the kid prep for a year.

Reaction Score

I've seen 2 recruiting interviews from earlier this year where he stated that he saw himself as a 3 or a stretch 4 (which he said he was working on) and was said college coaches were recruiting him to play those positions in college.

Scout and VerbalCommits has him listed as 190 pounds, ESPN and Rivals 180 pounds.

DeAndre Daniels was listed 180 pounds per Rivals, 190 per ESPN, 195 per Scout.

Indiana has three 4* wings from 2013, 2014 recruiting classes. Another one from their 2012 class. They have quite a few highly rated PF/Cs. I don't see how Robinson would get playing time at Indiana and not at UConn. If DeAndre declares that 3/4 spot is perfect for Robinson.

Reaction Score
How is he going to play a ton if he's not okay playing down low? That's what I'm getting at. There are no heavy minutes for him 1-3. And I'm not even sure he's better than a sophomore facey @ the 4. It just seems unrealistic. He could back up hamilton if he wants

Reaction Score

Indiana is loaded with multiple top 100 guys at the 3. A lot of them. less playing time there.

Reaction Score
How is he going to play a ton if he's not okay playing down low? That's what I'm getting at. There are no heavy minutes for him 1-3. And I'm not even sure he's better than a sophomore facey @ the 4. It just seems unrealistic. He could back up hamilton if he wants

I don't see Daniels posting up.

Ollie has gone with smaller lineups. Out of need? Who knows?

You could have Hamilton, Purvis, Calhoun and Robinson share the 2-3-4 spots, with Purvis sliding over to PG for 10 mins per game, and Facey taking 10-15 at PF, 10-15 at C, and you'd still be able to guarantee the 4 wings at least 25 minutes each at those 3 positions.

pj

Reaction Score
1) He's so good he'll play a ton. He's just too good to sit. If he's only capable at the 3 in the beginning, he can play 3 and "stretch 4" against small teams who are effectively playing a 3 at the 4. There are a lot of those in college.

2) He has to learn to play both forward positions. It's tough for skinny guys like Devin and DeAndre to develop into capable 4s, that's why it took DeAndre 2 years, but the payoff if they do is huge, for both player and team. It enables the player to play basketball, anywhere on the court, including near the basket, so even if the player is an NBA "3" he can go make plays inside when the situation calls for it. A tall player who isn't willing to bang inside ends up a liability, because the reality is that nerve conduction proceeds at a fixed velocity, so taller players react slower. A 6'8" guy is at a competitive disadvantage on the perimeter and his height only partially compensates out there. But if he can play both inside and outside, his versatility makes him undefendable: he can take smaller players inside and use his strength, height, and skills there, or take bigger players outside and then he doesn't have the quickness disadvantage. DeAndre made the investment in rounding out his game and he'll be a first round pick, maybe a lottery pick, after this year. Devin should do the same. He's taller than DeAndre and stronger coming in. He has every physical gift to become a lottery pick, and if he's not a "I don't do windows" sort of prima donna and puts in the work to diversify his game then he will be a lottery pick.

I'm sure that's what honest coaches are telling him too.

Reaction Score
If IU has 3 or 4 kids already in the fold for '13 and '14 then we gotta be the team to beat for Robinson. It's CLEAR as day. Here's hoping he commits during or right after his visit.

Reaction Score

If Samuel and/or Cassell prove capable as PG starters and Purvis looks better as a secondary ballhandler ala BG, then they absolutely can affect Robinson's minutes because that would push guys down one position. I definitely want Robinson, but he's gotta be open to being a 3/4 in order to maximize his minutes. That's what I like about our current team and what we have going forward in the immediate future, we have a bunch of guys who are flexible enought to play multiple positions and allow KO to mix and match. Not saying they're comparable talents, but Giffey would not have been able to play the minutes he did last year if he wasn't willing to put in work at the 4 and even the 5 in certain situations last year since Omar was getting about 30mpg @ the 3.

Reaction Score
If IU has 3 or 4 kids already in the fold for '13 and '14 then we gotta be the team to beat for Robinson. It's CLEAR as day. Here's hoping he commits during or right after his visit.

Florida has fewer swingmen than UConn. They've got like one kid ahead of him at the 3, and he'll be a junior. Billy D. has a huge need for Devin Robinson. Robinson is in Florida this weekend.

If you subscribe to the theory that playing time is the #1 factor when choosing a school, then Florida has the advantage.

Reaction Score
Every year we see guys with Robinson's build come into the college game. They all say they want to play the 3 and they were recruited to play the 3. And then they get to college and realize that unless they can handle the ball like a guard, they have no shot at getting heavy minutes on the perimeter. Cleveland Melvin decommits from Uconn because he wanted to play the 3. Guess what position he plays at DePaul? Harkless played the 4. Roscoe played the 4. DeAndre plays the 4. I'll bet you anything that wherever Devin Robinson goes to college, he'll be used (probably quite effectively) as a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
Florida has fewer swingmen than UConn. They've got like one kid ahead of him at the 3, and he'll be a junior. Billy D. has a huge need for Devin Robinson. Robinson is in Florida this weekend.

If you subscribe to the theory that playing time is the #1 factor when choosing a school, then Florida has the advantage.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. Florida is making a push for Robinson with Indiana looming, but PT may be an issue.

Reaction Score
Every year we see guys with Robinson's build come into the college game. They all say they want to play the 3 and they were recruited to play the 3. And then they get to college and realize that unless they can handle the ball like a guard, they have no shot at getting heavy minutes on the perimeter. Cleveland Melvin decommits from Uconn because he wanted to play the 3. Guess what position he plays at DePaul? Harkless played the 4. Roscoe played the 4. DeAndre plays the 4. I'll bet you anything that wherever Devin Robinson goes to college, he'll be used (probably quite effectively) as a stretch 4.

Harkless and Melvin would have been filling it up for the national champions. Glad we got Roscoe Smith instead of them--especially after Harkless's handlers ripped the program prior to the championship year.

Reaction Score
Harkless and Melvin would have been filling it up for the national champions. Glad we got Roscoe Smith instead of them--especially after Harkless's handlers ripped the program prior to the championship year.
The Roscoe transfer still stings. Would love to have had him for this season.

Reaction Score
Roscoe may have cut into Daniels' minutes last year, so who knows if he would have gone off the way he did late last season.

Considering how much more upside DeAndre, I'm fine with how things worked out.

Reaction Score
I don't see Daniels posting up.

Ollie has gone with smaller lineups. Out of need? Who knows?

You could have Hamilton, Purvis, Calhoun and Robinson share the 2-3-4 spots, with Purvis sliding over to PG for 10 mins per game, and Facey taking 10-15 at PF, 10-15 at C, and you'd still be able to guarantee the 4 wings at least 25 minutes each at those 3 positions.
I'm not drinking the robinson koolaid. his ranking is based on long term pro potential, if he develops a floor game. He also hasn't really played a lot of comp, unlike dham. Would love a commit, but I liken him to daniels who saw minimal pt as a freshman... And was a 5*. it sounds like some of you would be more excited for a robinson commit then what we got with cassell. He'd be a complete luxury seeing as calhoun can slide to the 3.

Reaction Score
I'm not drinking the robinson koolaid. his ranking is based on long term pro potential, if he develops a floor game. He also hasn't really played a lot of comp, unlike dham. Would love a commit, but I liken him to daniels who saw minimal pt as a freshman... And was a 5*. it sounds like some of you would be more excited for a robinson commit then what we got with cassell. He'd be a complete luxury seeing as calhoun can slide to the 3.

You quoted my post. I never said anything about being more or less excited about one recruit over the other. I'm just countering the notion that UConn somehow has a lot of depth. It doesn't. If Daniels and Boatright leave this year, UConn is one injury away from Leon Tolksdorf playing significant minutes--and I like Leon. I just think it's possible to upgrade.

Cassell/Samuel/Purvis
Calhoun/Purvis/Hamilton
Hamilton/Calhoun
Facey/Lubin/Tolksdorf
Nolan/Facey/Brimah

You don't see the gap there at the 3/4?

Reaction Score
I definitely think we need another 3/4 for depth purposes which is why the reports of UConn not recruiting Robinson anymore are baffling to me.

Reaction Score
??
Who are you talking to? Me? You quoted my post. I never said anything about being more or less excited about one recruit over the other. I'm just countering the notion that UConn somehow has a lot of depth. It doesn't. If Daniels and Boatright leave this year, UConn is one injury away from Leon Tolksdorf playing significant minutes--and I like Leon. I just think it's possible to upgrade.
Cassell/Samuel/Purvis
Purvis/Calhoun/Hamilton
Hamilton/Calhoun
Facey/Lubin/Tolksdorf
Nolan/Facey/Brimah

You don't see the gap there at the 3/4?
Totally agree, injuries are a big part of the game. I said robinson would be a nice commit upstater. but he doesn't usurp any of those guys other than Leon. IMO having that much depth is a luxury. I wouldn't lose my if we don't get this highly touted kid as a back up, we could just get a guy with one year of eligibility left.

Reaction Score

You're comparing Robinson to Daniels as if that's a bad thing. Sure, Daniels struggled as a freshman but he followed that up with 12 ppg as a sophomore and I'm betting 15+ as a junior. What's so bad about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom