Devin Carter is the Big East Player of the Year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Devin Carter is the Big East Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just don't think it should go to someone on the best team. Sanogo was better than Kolek last year. He should have won. Newton wins on assists, but some of that is down to his excellent teammates. Carter had the better year.
No issue with who was chosen although as a Husky I favor Newton. But I think your reasoning is a bit flawed. The statistics of very good players, on very good teams, are typically weaker than normal. A player is more likely to "share the wealth" on a good team, whereas on a weaker team, dominating is a necessity. Ergo better numbers on a weak team.

Reaction Score
UConn has 5 players scoring in double digits. PC has 2. Tristen has more assists of course. Make of that what you will. People might look strictly at stats but don't watch the games, I don't know. But if you watch the game, Tristen Newton is steering the Wagon. Clearly there is a difference when a team plays the way UConn plays vs. a team with two key players.

Reaction Score
Tristen will win when it counts, NBA draft.
Carter is a projected first round pick while Tristen is projected to be undrafted right now, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if he's able to pick the right situation

Reaction Score
Carter is great. I have no problem with it. Wish he transferred to UConn when Cooley left.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. Carter scored a lot of points because his usage was through the roof. People keep saying he dragged his team this year - yeah he dragged them to the NIT. Congrats?

What a terrible endorsement for the league that the POY will be playing in the NIT rather than the PG who will be a 1 seed in the NCAAT.

This conference can't get out of it's own way with dumb stuff like this. Providence is 19-12. Tristen is going to be first team all-American and his own conference doesn't recognize him.
The other power basketball conferences selected their POYs and guess where their teams finished in the standings. There is a reason they go hand in hand. Results matter.

caw

Reaction Score
Personally I would have put Carter third behind Newton and Baylor. Coin flip between the two

Reaction Score
Was curious so did some research

Not counting the weird 20-21 season, the BE hasn't had a POY outside of the top 3 teams in 8 years

Hasn't had a POY outside of the top 5 since 2000

Providence finished 6th this year

2023 - Kolek (#1)
2022 - Gillespie (#2)
2021 - Weird year so I won't count it but Gillespie (#1), Robinson-Earl (#1), Mamukelashvili (#4)
2020 - Myles Powell (#1)
2019 - Markus Howard (#2)
2018 - Brunson (#2)
2017 - Josh Hart (#1)
2016 - Kris Dunn (#4)
2015 - Dunn (#4), Arcidiacono (#1)
2014 - McDermott (#2)
2013 - Otto Porter (#1)
2012 - Jae Crowder (#2)
2011 - Ben Hansbrough (#2)
2010 - Wes Johnson (#1)
2009 - Thabeet (#3) and DeJuan Blair (#2)
Got tired of typing them all out but everyone was top 3 until 2000 (Troy Murphy on Notre Dame, #7)

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why the Big East headquarters are in Providence?? Why would they pick a third-tier poverty city like that? Seems odd to me. Also obviously will lead to bias towards Providence College. We see that in reffing and awards (I know it was a vote but I’m guessing some voters suck up to the conference). The headquarters should be in a neutral city or a relevant city. New York would make sense. Heck, even Hartford would be better.

Reaction Score
No not about you being upset a a misspelling, it was about the award itself. Like I said, Tristen absolutely deserved the award. So did Carter. Both for different reasons. It's splitting hairs one way or another. If it went to an a more undeserving player over Tristen I would be bitching too. I think you need to look at numbers that Dauster pulled on Carters adjusted On/off time. They tell the story with him.
Dauster may be more annoying than Donny.

Reaction Score
This is pretty annoying. The Big East conference for the actual teams was basically a 16 game schedule. A guy whose team went 14-2 and has already been named first team All America by a reputable source lost player of the year to a guy whose team went 6-10 and who won’t be named first team All America by any major source.

Reaction Score
The other power basketball conferences selected their POYs and guess where their teams finished in the standings. There is a reason they go hand in hand. Results matter.
This makes sense. I love Carter’s game and think he’s probably the best player in the league, but it is bad from a marketing standpoint. Newton averaged close to 20ppg at ECU and he’s a way better player now. He may have scored 25ppg at PC this year. I guess him missing out on POY is more of a travesty than I was thinking.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why the Big East headquarters are in Providence?? Why would they pick a third-tier poverty city like that? Seems odd to me. Also obviously will lead to bias towards Providence College. We see that in reffing and awards (I know it was a vote but I’m guessing some voters suck up to the conference). The headquarters should be in a neutral city or a relevant city. New York would make sense. Heck, even Hartford would be better.
You’re thinking under the Dave Gavitt days. Big East Headquarters have been in NYC for almost 10 years (3rd Avenue)

Reaction Score
I just don't think it should go to someone on the best team. Sanogo was better than Kolek last year. He should have won. Newton wins on assists, but some of that is down to his excellent teammates. Carter had the better year.

Newton
GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Carter
GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

If it was just because Carter averaged more points, I would call foul. But Carter's FG% and 3pt% were far superior to Newton's, which to me is what justifies him being picked over Newton. He wasn't just racking up points because the rest of his team sucked, it was because he was really good and more efficient than Newton.

Reaction Score
If it was just because Carter averaged more points, I would call foul. But Carter's FG% and 3pt% were far superior to Newton's, which to me is what justifies him being picked over Newton. He wasn't just racking up points because the rest of his team sucked, it was because he was really good and more efficient than Newton.
KenPom ranks players based on efficiency. As of today:

Big East Conference
all-kenpom.com

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am not too up in arms about this at all. Devin is great player and earned this award and deserved it. I can say the exact same thing for Newton, Scheierman, and Kolek as well.

Here's hoping Newton and Karaban respond like Kevin Freeman and Kemba Walker did to their snubs.
Right. Put downs of Carter are ridiculous. He is really good and wasn’t a voter.

Reaction Score
Who cares? It's an individual award. He's as good as Newton offensively and much better defensively. The only point in Newton's favor is the rebounding. But I can see them saying Carter had the best season. Team success shouldn't be a major factor. You can argue that PC being as good as it was despite losing Hopkins is a pretty major endorsement for Carter.
The thing is, Providence wasn’t really that good without Hopkins. I like Carter fine, but Newton deserved this. I can’t wait to see him play with a chip on his shoulder now.

Reaction Score
If you applied this same sort of criteria to last year, Sanogo is POY: 17.2 pts, 7.7 rbs, 64% shooting in 26 minutes.

Kolek: 12.9 pts, 7.5 assists, 47% shooting, 32 minutes.

Clearly, we're talking about 2 entirely different sets of criteria for judging POY.

Purely on being a better player, Sanogo blows Kolek out of the water.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just remember Jethro Tull beat out Metallica's "And Justice For All" for best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock album of the year.

Jimmer Fredette beat out Kemba for NPOY.
Jameer Nelson beat out Emeka for NPOY.

Carter is the Gerrit Cole award winner. Nice stats on a middling team whose individual statistical achievements had zero impact on winning championships.

Reaction Score
Shame on the BE coaches that get to cast their votes. Honestly, it just comes across as sour grapes and even though I love BE basketball, it’s clear we may be too big for the small time BE pond. This kinda BS doesn’t happen in a P5 conference, but seems to consistently happen to UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom