Devin Carter is the Big East Player of the Year | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Devin Carter is the Big East Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you applied this same sort of criteria to last year, Sanogo is POY: 17.2 pts, 7.7 rbs, 64% shooting in 26 minutes.

Kolek: 12.9 pts, 7.5 assists, 47% shooting, 32 minutes.

Clearly, we're talking about 2 entirely different sets of criteria for judging POY.

Purely on being a better player, Sanogo blows Kolek out of the water.
And yes. Sanogo should have been player of the year. He was the best player and it wasn’t close. This year, it’s at least close. Which is why nobody should be upset.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why the Big East headquarters are in Providence?? Why would they pick a third-tier poverty city like that? Seems odd to me. Also obviously will lead to bias towards Providence College. We see that in reffing and awards (I know it was a vote but I’m guessing some voters suck up to the conference). The headquarters should be in a neutral city or a relevant city. New York would make sense. Heck, even Hartford would be better.
Read some of the posts after that poster erroneously posted about the Big East HQ being in Providence. It's in NYC.

Reaction Score
KenPom ranks players based on efficiency. As of today:

Big East Conference
all-kenpom.com

He does, but the POTY ranks are designed to simulate how real people vote for these awards. So it's heavily "highest usage on best team on good efficiency". Carter is 5th because Providence is quite mediocre.

But that does show how far the voters deviated from normal voting habits on this one.

Reaction Score
If you applied this same sort of criteria to last year, Sanogo is POY: 17.2 pts, 7.7 rbs, 64% shooting in 26 minutes.

Clearly, we're talking about 2 entirely different sets of criteria for judging POY.

I don't disagree with anything you said. But just based on this year, I think Carter is justified.

Reaction Score

Yep and other major conferences don't make NIT players their conference player of the year. It's even more curious they would do it when there's a historic team that's so much better than everyone else.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He's good, but his stats are elevated because he plays on a two horse team

I'm sure he'd trade MVP for a ring. Maybe even a tournament appearance

Reaction Score
Im surprised they couldn’t find someone on DePaul or Georgetown to give the award to. Great year but team is poor. Did I miss carters AA nomination ?

Coaches in this conf have a petty streak… can’t give the overwhelming best team too many awards

Reaction Score
Carter is a projected first round pick while Tristen is projected to be undrafted right now, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if he's able to pick the right situation
If it based on draft status Castle should get the award

Reaction Score
First off, Congrats to Carter. He's a h*ll of a player. Setting aside the fact that he plays for a team that had few offensive weapons that finished .500 (10-10) in conference play, he put up better numbers than Tristen in just about all statistical categories. But the numbers don't tell the whole story.

So what would these stats look like if they swapped teams? Based on the fact that Tristen put up 31 and 27 in two of our worst played games where he tried to keep his team in the game, both losses against KU and Creighton respectively, one can only wonder what type of numbers would he have put up if he had to carry the load on a nightly basis. Granted teams would game plan to slow him down, but there's little doubt that his scoring would be up and his assists down. Conversely, if Carter led UConn with all its weapons, his points would be down and his assists would be up.

Offensively both guards make some unbelievable shots from all over the court. Carter is one of the best at attacking the basket, while Tristen is amazing with his midrange traffic shots and some ridiculously deep 3s he knocks down on regular basis.

Defensively, Tristen uses his size and length to keep defenders in check while Carter is a relentless pest causing havoc, averaging an impressive 1 block per game from the guard position. The eye test tells me both guards are worthy of POY honors. It's not like Carters numbers are overwhelmingly better than Newton's and for all the reasons I pointed out, those numbers would likely be reversed if they swapped teams.

So you can make a solid case for either player winning BE POY, but where I believe the coaches messed this up is not taking into account the fact Tristen's impact (think about the number of big shots he's made late in so many games) on the best team in the conference and possibly the nation that will be representing the BE in the NCAAs while Carter will likely be leading his team to the NIT. This is just terrible optics and a missed opportunity for the BE brand at the national level. Though there's so many facets to UConn that will impress on the big stage where I'm sure we'll hear the announcers and analysts point out that Newton had a strong case for BE POY, was chosen BE POY by the sports writers, plus he'll likely have some recognition on the national stage, making the this look ridiculous.

What I think was the deciding factor for these coaches is when they looked at what player stood out for their respective team when they played against them, Carter was the player for PC, while Newton was one of many weapons on UConn. When PC won or at least competed, there's no doubt that Carter was the reason why. When they competed against UConn, it was Spencer or Clingan or Karaban or Newton or Castle or more likely some combination of those players who stood out.

I don't think they got it right, but I understand why that happened.

Reaction Score
I don't care how good Carter is (this wasn't Durant or Beasley) he plays for the 6th best team in the conference in a year where UConn blew everyone else out in conference.

Tristen deserves the award and Scheierman deserves to finish ahead of Carter too.
Are people really convinced that Newton is UConn’s player of the year? I’m not, and I think that’s why Newton didn’t win. And if a non-UConn player was going to win, Carter is a perfectly good choice. Kolek not only missed a few games at the end of the year but went on a shooting slump during it. And I’d take Carter over Scheierman.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just remember Jethro Tull beat out Metallica's "And Justice For All" for best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock album of the year.

Jimmer Fredette beat out Kemba for NPOY.
Jameer Nelson beat out Emeka for NPOY.

Carter is the Gerrit Cole award winner. Nice stats on a middling team whose individual statistical achievements had zero impact on winning championships.
Cmon. Your last example doesn’t fit with your others . Cole was objectively the best pitcher and he performed with crap run support. Fergie Jenkins might be the most heroic pitcher in history routinely huge win totals for a AA team. At least baseball awards have some level of sense recognizing individual performance. Plenty of batting champs play on bad teams. Cole would never win MVP last year which is a different thing.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's really this.

When we have an outstanding player, but our team is mediocre, they give it to the leader of the best team.

When we have an outstanding team, they don't give it to our leader, but instead to someone on a mediocre team.
Mediocre is generous. I would've used the word trash

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It should be easy to understand that you can put up bigger stats on a bad team than you can on a good and balanced team. That doesn't in any sense make you a better player.

Reaction Score
It should be easy to understand that you can put up bigger stats on a bad team than you can on a good and balanced team. That doesn't in any sense make you a better player.
Right. You can also lead a team and run the offense to perfection and not score or notch an assist. Especially when the team makes half a dozen passes to get the best look. The old adage, making your teammates better. That settles it. Tristen Newton POY. On to the BE Tourney!

Reaction Score
And yes. Sanogo should have been player of the year. He was the best player and it wasn’t close. This year, it’s at least close. Which is why nobody should be upset.
Right on the last part, but it's the divergence in criteria that catches our attention. And this isn't the first time this has happened to a UConn player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Right on the last part, but it's the divergence in criteria that catches our attention. And this isn't the first time this has happened to a UConn player.
Normally I'd be on board with the "Big East is sticking it to UConn", but we had two first team guys, unanimous freshman, coach of the year and it seems they have embraced that they will go as far as UConn takes them.

Reaction Score
I wonder how close the vote was. I'm sure Hurley voted for Carter. He can't hide his love for him.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm OK with Carter winning it. More fuel for the fire.

I would also be OK with Carter winning a lifetime achievement award for worst hair in Big East history.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hey @chindiesel, instead of a stupid emoji how about you don’t understand the basis for a Cy Young. You obviously don’t. So a guy who is 17-7 with a 3.8 era on a WS champ should get it because 3 other pitchers on his team had 14 wins and they had the best reliever in the league. Got it. :confused:

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Look at today. Six players between 10 and 13 points. Balance. Some guy scoring 22 while everyone else stinks doesn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom