Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Tell you what: If McAllister does not RS and exhausts his non-forfeited eligibility, and it comes to pass in 2018 (his would be RS senior year) that this board laments, "If UConn had McAllister, they'd be in a New Years Six Bowl game. McAllister and only McAllister could possibly [make whatever play]," then I'll back down on my opinions and eat crow. Just between you, me, and the rest of the Boneyard though, I ain't holding my breath for that day to dawn.

Way to put up a non-quantifiable metric to prove your point. There is nothing to gain by playing him this year. We have enough corners on the roster. He rewarded DeBerry with a scholly this year. Let the kid play in last year of college ball. You say who cares about 2018. I say who cares about 2014?

I honestly cannot believe that people see value in playing him this year versus maintaining eligibility in 2018. This season is lost.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Way to put up a non-quantifiable metric to prove your point. There is nothing to gain by playing him this year. We have enough corners on the roster. He rewarded DeBerry with a scholly this year. Let the kid play in last year of college ball. You say who cares about 2018. I say who cares about 2014?

I honestly cannot believe that people see value in playing him this year versus maintaining eligibility in 2018. This season is lost.

Thanks, I try hard. ;)

UConn doesn't exactly lose anything either...and I care about 2014. If UConn remains in the AAC or the AAC isn't on a higher level than the rest of the so called Group of 5, the program is not long for this world. You better believe I still care about 2014.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not sure you comprehended the other words in my post. UConn has it's fair share of issues now. They don't need to borrow worries from tomorrow.

There are new players coming in next year (and presumably the year after...and the year after that...), but they won't be in Storrs until February at the absolute earliest. Be that as it may, these games (and more generally, these seasons) are not played in a vacuum. Players get hurt, players retire, can't hack it academically (at real schools), whathaveyou. With new players coming in and going out, there are far many more unanswerable questions about 4-5 years out than there are right now. I don't think it makes a whole h3ll of a lot of sense to project a single specific undeveloped 18 year old as the solution to a problem 4 seasons from now.

Tell you what: If McAllister does not RS and exhausts his non-forfeited eligibility, and it comes to pass in 2018 (his would be RS senior year) that this board laments, "If UConn had McAllister, they'd be in a New Years Six Bowl game. McAllister and only McAllister could possibly [make whatever play]," then I'll back down on my opinions and eat crow. Just between you, me, and the rest of the Boneyard though, I ain't holding my breath for that day to dawn.

Yes that's the standard for valuing a player's 5th season over 5 games in a lost season when he hasn't played the position in his life.

Why does anyone redshirt anyone if that is the standard. Oh wait I know. In general 22-23 year olds are better at football than 18 years olds.

How do we get the least value out of McCallister's career? Play him for 5 games in a lost season when he is 'remedial' and throw away his opportunity for a fifth season.

Reaction Score
Sorry...

MattSchonvisky 12:09pm via Twitter Web Client
"Brice McAllister is going to play in the games, we don't have any other option and we don't want any other option. CB is his best position"

What does this mean? That CB is the only option or playing him is the only option? And if he's remedial and is going to put him in as a true frosh, why not put in redshirt frosh who are remedial? It's impossible to decipher.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks, I try hard. ;)

UConn doesn't exactly lose anything either...and I care about 2014. If UConn remains in the AAC or the AAC isn't on a higher level than the rest of the so called Group of 5, the program is not long for this world. You better believe I still care about 2014.

You think they can do something on 2014 on the football field that changes their conference affiliation... and a player who may make a difference is a true freshman who has never played an extremely difficult position?

No wonder some people don't see how crazy some of what Diaco says and does is...

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco is a smart guy. How do I know this? Because, Brian Kelly brought him to Cincinnati and then to ND. And say what you want about Kelly, and he is a ruthless bastard, but he does not suffer fools.

This year is a pass. Diaco knows that. Next year the clock starts ticking and in year three he is held fully accountable. He is setting the table to get everything he can ready for '15 and '16. Red shirt you say? Diaco doesn't start winning in a meaningful way by'16 he won't be around to enjoy those red shirts.

Delorenzo is gone after this season. He either told Diaco he wasn't coming back for his 5th year or Diaco told him.

And I guarantee that Diaco is hunting long and hard for a JUCO or 5th year transfer QB......that can run.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that BD is continuing to evaluate the youth, to see what he has to work with moving forward. These aren't the kids he targeted as recruits, so if he can move them through the program to open up a scholarship a year early, he's not going to red-shirt anyone. You can't replicate game speed in practice. He has to evaluate the players he believes can help the program moving forward. He has to put them in game situations. The seasons a wash anyway. Let's give these kids experience at game speed and see what they can do. If they can't play, he'll recruit "his" players, while those recruited by the past regime matriculate or leave the program early. At this point what do we have to lose. I just want them to compete. I think we took a step forward last week. As the o-line continues to grow and improve, I think Newsome and Johnson give us the best chance to win. It's not a knock on Max or Josh, but they don't have the game speed the true freshmen have. In all honesty, I think most of us saw this youth movement coming. It's probably a year sooner then we expected, but I'm ok with it as long as the process leads to future program success in recruiting and on the field.

I don't agree with that. If that were the case, the recruits that Diaco did pull in that are true freshmen wouldn't be playing, and that's not the case. I don't think that's a consideration at all, regarding players that he didn't recruit.

I think there are maybe only 2 or 3 players tops that are true frosh, that still have red shirt options, and with 5 games to go, and our depth chart, it's possible we won't have a single player red-shirt eligibile by end of season.

I think it's pretty clear, that Diaco, didn't have much respect for the condition he found the vast majority of the incumbent players at UCONN. Those that have adapted and overcame, the plan for player development that Diaco brought along, are still here and playing, and those that didn't, aren't. The plan that Diaco has for player development is a very good one. Through this first season, the plan he has for developing a team and style of play, seems muddy, but doesn't mean, that it's bad - just probably a plan that is designed to take longer than a single season. As for the players, some are still here, but not playing, some gone completely, since Diaco arrived, and at this point, he's simply playing pretty much everybody that's left on the roster, that they 've evaluated for each position.

The only real head scratcher for me that is ongoing, other than the game time decision making, is the QB rotation. I still don't get it, although I think I have an idea, and it's probably pretty simple, if I'm on the right track. I really think that Diaco wants to see Boyle be able to play, and run the offense, but the kid is not performing well enough to justify keeping him in the game, and I think that Boyle does have the capability to be a run threat too. It could be as simple as Boyle just isn't playing well enough - although many around here don't want to accept that. That's about the only thing that makes sense to me.

I just want to see us compete at the same level this weekend at home against UCF, that we did last week on the road against ECU. We can't play to the level of our opponent, and UCF, while good - is not a top 25 team.

If we can do that, it's a huge step in development of the team, and not just players.

Reaction Score
LOL. The question is, if not McAllister - then who?

There are enough CB's on the roster to cover for the remaining 5 games. Williams, Summers, Hadley, Green, DeBerry and a few other walkons.

Playing McAllister now just defies common sense.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You think they can do something on 2014 on the football field that changes their conference affiliation... and a player who may make a difference is a true freshman who has never played an extremely difficult position?

No wonder some people don't see how crazy some of what Diaco says and does is...
No. I think an entertaining product draws eyeballs to TV screens and bodies to stadiums. It is important to illustrate that this team has not given up. It was painful to follow this program last year because most of them did. Regardless of outcome, a team that is fully invested is far more entertaining than the alternative. Winning should soon follow.

And regarding a true freshman who has never played the position, that's not true. McAllister played defensive back at Suffield and BC was trying to recruit him to play safety before he recommitted to UConn after Former "Coach" Pasqualoni was S__tcanned. I would apologize for giving the coaches and athletes the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think my opinions are out of line in the least.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No. I think an entertaining product draws eyeballs to TV screens and bodies to stadiums. It is important to illustrate that this team has not given up. It was painful to follow this program last year because most of them did. Regardless of outcome, a team that is fully invested is far more entertaining than the alternative. Winning should soon follow.

And regarding a true freshman who has never played the position, that's not true. McAllister played defensive back at Suffield and BC was trying to recruit him to play safety before he recommitted to UConn after Former "Coach" Pasqualoni was S__tcanned. I would apologize for giving the coaches and athletes the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think my opinions are out of line in the least.

How does this move make them more entertaining? Or draw a single set of eyeballs?

The same people that were at the Memphis game will be at the remaining games. Everyone else stopped playing attention a month ago.

Reaction Score
There are enough CB's on the roster to cover for the remaining 5 games. Williams, Summers, Hadley, Green, DeBerry and a few other walkons.

Not really, Jimmy, not when you start to really pay attention to coach, and try to get an understanding of how this guy operates.

I posted something before, and for the record, by "condition he found the players" in that post, I do not mean solely physical conditioning, that's only a very small, and actually insignificant part of it. Diaco has a plan for "development of a complete player" and it's probably called exactly that in reality however he presents it to the players, and his boss, on paper (or digitally these days).

The plan for development of the complete player. Physical conditioning/skill is only one part of it. It's pretty obvious what he's doing regarding individual player development, and who's going to make it to the playing field, when you look into the guy's background along the way in his coaching path.

McAllister is probably doing well as a freshmen, in all of those things that go into the "development of the complete player", and that's why he's going to be on the depth chart.

Now - when ti comes to questioning - "development of a complete team" and establishing a style of play and an offensive and defensive base structure and game planning? I'm loaded with questions. But I really don't have any questions about how Diaco is going about choosing players to put on his roster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not really, Jimmy, not when you start to really pay attention to coach, and try to get an understanding of how this guy operates.

I posted something before, and for the record, by "condition he found the players" in that post, I do not mean solely physical conditioning, that's only a very small, and actually insignificant part of it. Diaco has a plan for "development of a complete player" and it's probably called exactly that in reality however he presents it to the players, and his boss, on paper (or digitally these days).

The plan for development of the complete player. Physical conditioning/skill is only one part of it. It's pretty obvious what he's doing regarding individual player development, and who's going to make it to the playing field, when you look into the guy's background along the way in his coaching path.

McAllister is probably doing well as a freshmen, in all of those things that go into the "development of the complete player", and that's why he's going to be on the depth chart.

Now - when ti comes to questioning - "development of a complete team" and establishing a style of play and an offensive and defensive base structure and game planning? I'm loaded with questions. But I really don't have any questions about how Diaco is going about choosing players to put on his roster.

He's on the depth chart because Jones got hurt. He wouldn't have been otherwise.

So one rational conclusion is that: He thinks McAllister makes a difference in winning and losing over those other players AND whatever marginal wins McAllister is worth have more value than his 5th season.

Can't really comment on the first piece beyond he was described as 'remedial' and no player on the roster to date has been worth a marginal win this season - unless you want to claim Foxx was against Stony Brook.

A second rational conclusion I guess would be that he doesn't think McAllister can play and it doesn't much matter.

It's odd to hope it's the second conclusion is the reason he's going to play because the first conclusion is scary if that is his thought process.

Reaction Score
this move makes sense... I just feel for Marriner... had and still have high hopes for this kid... He's still in the same boat as Newsome and Johnson in terms of eligibility....

With injuries and up and down performances you need at least 3 RB's at all times. Marriner will get his shot. A lot can happen in 4 years.

Reaction Score
He's on the depth chart because Jones got hurt. He wouldn't have been otherwise.

So one rational conclusion is that: He thinks McAllister makes a difference in winning and losing over those other players AND whatever marginal wins McAllister is worth have more value than his 5th season.

Can't really comment on the first piece beyond he was described as 'remedial' and no player on the roster to date has been worth a marginal win this season - unless you want to claim Foxx was against Stony Brook.

A second rational conclusion I guess would be that he doesn't think McAllister can play and it doesn't much matter.

It's odd to hope it's the second conclusion is the reason he's going to play because the first conclusion is scary if that is his thought process.

I honestly think that Diaco thinks of himself, and believes himself to be an educator. A teacher. He simply uses the language of a academic to describe the qualities, characteristics, performances, level, etc....of his players. I don't expect lots of people to understand the things I wrote here, but I think you, whaler can probably grasp what I'm talking about, even if youd on't agree. I think the guy has a very detailed and highly structured plan about how players are going to be expected to behave, perform, evaluate, and improve as individuals, as students, as athletes and community members. Where a certain player/individual is regarding that plan, is going to be a huge part in determining how they fit into an active team roster. I honestly have no problem with any individual personnel decision making, as far as who's on the game day rosters and not.

My questions, all come, with how he goes about using those players to develop game plans and tactics/strategy to win.

Husky25

Reaction Score
How does this move make them more entertaining? Or draw a single set of eyeballs?

The same people that were at the Memphis game will be at the remaining games. Everyone else stopped playing attention a month ago.

Figures you would spin it in that direction, seeing as that's not what I wrote, meant, or even implied. I said, "It is important to illustrate that this team has not given up. It was painful to follow this program last year because most of them did. Regardless of outcome, a team that is fully invested is far more entertaining than the alternative. Winning should soon follow."

UConn can lay the foundation of a winning football team in 2014. They can show buy-in, commitment, foster a positive environment, develop and mature. That alone is more entertaining and should eventually lead to wins. Wins will bring the casual fan to games, but you can't jump directly to it.

I have been struggling with my weight most of my adult life (The accounting profession lends itself neatly to a sedentary lifestyle), but I am in the process of losing a fair amount of lbs. and reshaping my outer self. Sometimes I get discouraged when I've had a stagnate (or worse) week. So the constant reminder is that it took years to put the weight on. It's not going to come off all at once.

Same thing goes with this football program. Past actions over the last 3+ years have set this program back at least a decade, They can't get all that back within 7 games. Not with the material Diaco has to work with. I don't think it was fair for Diaco to classify McAllister as remedial, but if he is next man up, at what level are the players behind him on the depth chart? The best way to keep his players on plan is to demonstrate he is committed to his own plan (Whatever that may be). To hold McAllister back merely because he is a freshman is ludicrous. UConn doesn't have a full 2015 recruiting class, and we're sitting here debating 2018.:rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Figures you would spin it in that direction, seeing as that's not what I wrote, meant, or even implied. I said, "It is important to illustrate that this team has not given up. It was painful to follow this program last year because most of them did. Regardless of outcome, a team that is fully invested is far more entertaining than the alternative. Winning should soon follow."

UConn can lay the foundation of a winning football team in 2014. They can show buy-in, commitment, foster a positive environment, develop and mature. That alone is more entertaining and should eventually lead to wins. Wins will bring the casual fan to games, but you can't jump directly to it.

I have been struggling with my weight most of my adult life (The accounting profession lends itself neatly to a sedentary lifestyle), but I am in the process of losing a fair amount of lbs. and reshaping my outer self. Sometimes I get discouraged when I've had a stagnate (or worse) week. So the constant reminder is that it took years to put the weight on. It's not going to come off all at once.

Same thing goes with this football program. Past actions over the last 3+ years have set this program back at least a decade, They can't get all that back within 7 games. Not with the material Diaco has to work with. I don't think it was fair for Diaco to classify McAllister as remedial, but if he is next man up, at what level are the players behind him on the depth chart? The best way to keep his players on plan is to demonstrate he is committed to his own plan (Whatever that may be). To hold McAllister back merely because he is a freshman is ludicrous. UConn doesn't have a full 2015 recruiting class, and we're sitting here debating 2018.:rolleyes:

It's not ludicrous to hold McAllister back because he's a freshman.

It's ludicrous to stop holding him back in game 8 when you are 1-6 and he's 'remedial'.

If you didn't want to say the move impacts eyeballs or interest... um you are the one who conflated the two concepts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I honestly think that Diaco thinks of himself, and believes himself to be an educator. A teacher. He simply uses the language of a academic to describe the qualities, characteristics, performances, level, etc....of his players. I don't expect lots of people to understand the things I wrote here, but I think you, whaler can probably grasp what I'm talking about, even if youd on't agree. I think the guy has a very detailed and highly structured plan about how players are going to be expected to behave, perform, evaluate, and improve as individuals, as students, as athletes and community members. Where a certain player/individual is regarding that plan, is going to be a huge part in determining how they fit into an active team roster. I honestly have no problem with any individual personnel decision making, as far as who's on the game day rosters and not.

My questions, all come, with how he goes about using those players to develop game plans and tactics/strategy to win.

Carl he is playing because Jones got hurt.

All of that might be true - I don't much care how he sees himself. I just would like to see some consistent logic applied to decisions.

Specifically decisions where you weigh risk/reward in game and decisions where you balance what you do today with what the future ROI is.

This feels EXACTLY like Boyle. There hasn't be any need to play him to date instead it's a wasted year and he's somehow regressing in games.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's not ludicrous to hold McAllister back because he's a freshman.

It's ludicrous to stop holding him back in game 8 when you are 1-6 and he's 'remedial'.

If you didn't want to say the move impacts eyeballs or interest... um you are the one who conflated the two concepts.

"Merely," was an important word in my statement that you conveniently left out. Again. Not surprised.

I did not conflate anything. I never said anything about this one move or it's direct impact on eyeballs or interest. I said 2014 is the groundwork for (hopefully) future success. I said a team that buys in is more entertaining. Given the make up of the current roster, Diaco doesn't have the luxury to consider the make up of the roster in McAllister's potential RS senior season. It should not enter into decisions made in 2014.

Again. If McAllister finds his way on to the 2-deep with "remedial" skills, what are the skill level of those players behind him?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Merely," was an important word in my statement that you conveniently left out. Again. Not surprised.

I did not conflate anything. I never said anything about this one move or it's direct impact on eyeballs or interest. I said 2014 is the groundwork for (hopefully) future success. I said a team that buys in is more entertaining. Given the make up of the current roster, Diaco doesn't have the luxury to consider the make up of the roster in McAllister's potential RS senior season. It should not enter into decisions made in 2014.

Again. If McAllister finds his way on to the 2-deep with "remedial" skills, what are the skill level of those players behind him?

Well we totally disagree. If he doesn't help you win in 2014 why give up his 2018 season.

It's really the exact opposite. Diaco has every ability to think about 2018. He has a pass on his 2014 record. He won't have one in 2018.

I'm not sure why the team would stop buying in if he didn't use McAllister. They didn't stop buying in the first seven games he didn't play. So that doesn't seem like much of an argument.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Unless those CBs aren't available.

It really is entertaining watching some of the posters on here with half information trying to figure out what Diaco is saying. Here is what I think (okay...now I am one of the posters..lol)...we are VERY thin at CB....and while BD openly admits that McAllister is not ready to play, he has to field a team and it isn't going to be a walk on. I think there are more injuries in the secondary than we know and BD is letting us know that while BM is green, he is going to have to play.

And...redshirting is such a crapshoot, I don't think this needs to be a part of the equation. There is so much natural attrition with these kids, it's hard to be concerned with who will be on your roster 3-4 years down the road. Red shirting is a nice to have...not a must have. If the choice is play a walk on or burn a red shirt..you gotta burn it.

Reaction Score

Jimmy - "Who cares about 2014?". I do. And I can't believe a true fan like you are Is willing to throw it away. To respond to someone's earlier statement, I believe that a record of 3 - 9 is better than 2 and 10. And guess what, if we get to 3 and 9, maybe we have a chance at 4 and 6 which, in my book, is even better. Of course we are in this for the long run but if we sacrifice the short run, it just might be that the long run will be worse. I could go on but the point is, DON'T QUIT

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Jimmy - "Who cares about 2014?". I do. And I can't believe a true fan like you are Is willing to throw it away. To respond to someone's earlier statement, I believe that a record of 3 - 9 is better than 2 and 10. And guess what, if we get to 3 and 9, maybe we have a chance at 4 and 6 which, in my book, is even better. Of course we are in this for the long run but if we sacrifice the short run, it just might be that the long run will be worse. I could go on but the point is, DON'T QUIT

I agree with this post 100%...if we believe that McAllister at CB is the difference between winning and losing.

I think the issue that Jimmy and Whaler have with the possible decision is the fact that McAllister was not previously described as a player that was ready to play the position at this level yet, much less be the difference between winning and losing. I agree that 3-9 is better than 2-10. I agree that 2014 is STILL important. But I also hope that our coaching staff avoids "panic" decisions that may not improve our situation short-term while taking away from us long-term...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why is the choice between playing for 2014 and 2018? Maybe him playing helps set up 2015. Diaco seems to be trying to walk a line between winning now and setting up to win next year... To mixed results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom