Depaul UConn our mid term exam starts tonite | The Boneyard

Depaul UConn our mid term exam starts tonite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well tonite we start a month of what I call Murders Row. A brutal schedule. A reality check for our young Huskies and a growing up time for them too...that might go for some of our fans too. These games will also be a test for our endurance as we play really tuff games where we cant let up and must stay out of foul trouble. Endurance as far as we have alot of tuff games in a very short period of time and our starters will see alot of that time. So this is going to be a really big test to show where we are.

Another point in every one of these games our opponents realize for the first time in along time they have a chance of winning. The will carry a different attitude into the game. The probability may not be there but the realization of I think we can will be there.

So our mid term exam begins tonite. A lot of questions will be answered over the next week or so. Consistency Chemistry and Cohesiveness will be at the forefront. I like our quickness to prevail. A lesson over the next week or so will be containing some very good guards. Tonite we must keep Depaul away from the basket. We didnt do that against Chatty in the first half but we did it in the second half. I like our chances alot tonite IF we stay outta foul trouble.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure, the games will be VERY competitive, exciting and hopefully injury free. No more blowouts but lots of hard fought possessions and scores. And as you pointed out Tony, we will see the team and players grow and improve in front of our eyes.

Reaction Score
Well tonite we start a month of what I call Murders Row. A brutal schedule. A reality check for our young Huskies and a growing up time for them too...that might go for some of our fans too. These games will also be a test for our endurance as we play really tuff games where we cant let up and must stay out of foul trouble. Endurance as far as we have alot of tuff games in a very short period of time and our starters will see alot of that time. So this is going to be a really big test to show where we are.

Another point in every one of these games our opponents realize for the first time in along time they have a chance of winning. The will carry a different attitude into the game. The probability may not be there but the realization of I think we can will be there.

So our mid term exam begins tonite. A lot of questions will be answered over the next week or so. Consistency Chemistry and Cohesiveness will be at the forefront. I like our quickness to prevail. A lesson over the next week or so will be containing some very good guards. Tonite we must keep Depaul away from the basket. We didnt do that against Chatty in the first half but we did it in the second half. I like our chances alot tonite IF we stay outta foul trouble.
I agree with your optimism. When you look at our scores against Baylor and how well our young players are doing, I feel comfortable that we definitely have the edge.

Reaction Score
A lesson over the next week or so will be containing some very good guards. Tonite we must keep Depaul away from the basket. .

I am worried more about keeping them away from the 3pt arc. Every team we have played so far has gotten uncontested 3 pt jump shots off against us virtually anytime they wanted. The lesser teams did not make them, but against a team like Depaul that can really shoot the ball, it could be a real problem.

Reaction Score
I don'

I don't think it is so much, keeping Depaul away from the basket, as it is defend the "three point shot." More than half of their shots are from three.

Reaction Score

Right, no foul trouble!

HGN

Reaction Score

Yes , our mid-term exams start tonight...........I will settle for a grade of "B". Not a perfect game , but a Win. A few things we need to clean up. But overall not bad considering it is a tough test.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will take our best 5 over their best 5 in every game between now and the end of December. My concern is injuries and foul trouble. The Huskies are really limited off the bench. Tonight, if Danger can't go, that makes it that much more of a challenge.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with your optimism. When you look at our scores against Baylor and how well our young players are doing, I feel comfortable that we definitely have the edge.

IF.........we can put all of our chess pieces on the board to begin the game, I would agree. I'm talking about Crystal & Gabby, neither of whom are 100% healthy right now, and are questionable. :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
IF....we can put all of our chess pieces on the board to begin the game, I would agree. I'm talking about Crystal & Gabby, neither of whom are 100% healthy right now, and are questionable. :eek:

Based on what? If Crystal passes final protocol, a little rust. Gabby has so much energy she rides a bike when taking a break. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don'
I don't think it is so much, keeping Depaul away from the basket, as it is defend the "three point shot." More than half of their shots are from three.

1 and done must be the thought the UConn players must keep in mind on the floor tonight. Rebound missed shots, and start fast breaks down the court putting DePaul on it's heels.
That's how you get easy layups, or get their guards and forwards in foul trouble, and get to the free throw line.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Based on what?

Gabby is having issues with her legs. We got a shot of her riding a stationary bike during the Chatty game. Players don't ride bikes during a game if all is well. Gabby addressed it during a post game interview. We all know Crystal is in concussion protocol. She can't do anything until she is released medically.

Neither are guaranteed to play tonight. At this time, we don't know Gabby's condition. It may allow her to play, it may not. If they both play, we're in great shape, if Crystal can't go, and Gabby is limited due to her leg issues, UConn will be short handed (Butler, Lawlor and two freshmen) and may find themselves unable to keep up with the Blue Demons score wise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am worried more about keeping them away from the 3pt arc. Every team we have played so far has gotten uncontested 3 pt jump shots off against us virtually anytime they wanted. The lesser teams did not make them, but against a team like Depaul that can really shoot the ball, it could be a real problem.

Geno has said , recently, that he wanted to push teams out to shoot the 3. Obviously , he was not being specif about opponents.
But if he is playing percentages --even with DePaul that MAY be the right approach--if and only if Uconn controls the boards..

Reaction Score
All signs (FWIW) point to Gabby having a hammy: tightness while playing (hence the cycling), pain in the butt area (she reported that after the game). Alas, the only remedy for that, if it is that, is rest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
During this stretch of difficult competition I expect they may lose a game or two; I'll be interested in seeing how these young players respond: 1) sharpen their focus and steel their resolve to improve, or 2) have their confidence shaken and regress a bit until it is regained. Regardless, they are a terrific group of young women that are a pleasure to follow.

Carnac

Reaction Score
All signs (FWIW) point to Gabby having a hammy: tightness will playing (hence the cycling), pain in the butt area (she reported that after the game). Alas, the only remedy for that, if it is that, is rest.

I'm rubbing both of my rabbit's feet hoping they both play (and play well) tonight.

Reaction Score
During this stretch of difficult competition I expect they may lose a game or two; I'll be interested in seeing how these young players respond: 1) sharpen their focus and steel their resolve to improve, or 2) have their confidence shaken and regress a bit until it is regained. Regardless, they are a terrific group of young women that are a pleasure to follow.
Yes, you're quite right...they may have to endure a loss or two, especially a possibility at ND. What's important to note is how utterly unimportant such a contingency might be for this young, reloading team so early in the season. What we know for certain is Geno-coached teams are far more battle-hardened and tougher to beat when March rolls around...a long way off. I want them to win every game, of course, but I'd put very little stock in a potential loss at this point. Undefeated seasons in basketball remain a true rarity, but only fans of this program have the luxury to realistically dream of them! The only thing of which I am certain is that any team that manages to defeat them now will positively dread the possibility of facing them again in March...or April!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
All signs (FWIW) point to Gabby having a hammy: tightness while playing (hence the cycling), pain in the butt area (she reported that after the game). Alas, the only remedy for that, if it is that, is rest.
I'm rubbing both of my rabbit's feet hoping they both play (and play well) tonight.

Tip-off at 7:00 p.m. Let's see who takes the court. Fingers crossed.
:):) (One each, Gabby and Crystal)

Reaction Score
I like what I see so far with the girls and their style of play is definitely different this year. I find this team to be more versatile at different positions and playing outside of their comfort zone and being successful. Looking at the paper comparison UCONN's number are better. Though DePaul shoots the 3, their 3FG% is .386 where UCONN is .418. UCONN FG% is .490 to DePauls FG% is .441. DePaul gets into foul trouble more and has more turnovers. UCONN will have to do a better job at rebounding with those percentages very close with 1 game apart and be successful at the charity stripe. DePaul lost to Baylor by 32 points and UCONN beat Baylor by 11. If they play sloppy free right from the start I think we can see a UCONN win!! :)

Reaction Score
I like what I see so far with the girls and their style of play is definitely different this year. I find this team to be more versatile at different positions and playing outside of their comfort zone and being successful. Looking at the paper comparison UCONN's number are better. Though DePaul shoots the 3, their 3FG% is .386 where UCONN is .418. UCONN FG% is .490 to DePauls FG% is .441. DePaul gets into foul trouble more and has more turnovers. UCONN will have to do a better job at rebounding with those percentages very close with 1 game apart and be successful at the charity stripe. DePaul lost to Baylor by 32 points and UCONN beat Baylor by 11. If they play sloppy free right from the start I think we can see a UCONN win!! :)
Interesting stats in your post....When Depaul got crushed by Baylor they got out rebounded 55-24. UCONN also got out rebounded against DePaul but by a much smaller margin, i think it was 10. DePaul A/T is almost identical to UCONNs so they do a nice job of moving the ball and taking care of it. Against the Cuse , DePaul shot an astounding 19-39 from 3 point range. That largely explains how they beat such a good team. It could happen to us but my sense is that we'll not let them get in position to beat us from three -land given that they don't have a big inside presence.
All in all ,UCONN is most vulnerable to teams that have a big inside presence, shoot well from the perimeter and take care of the ball. DePaul is not quite that team so I expect we'll be happy with the outcome.

Reaction Score
Interesting stats in your post....When Depaul got crushed by Baylor they got out rebounded 55-24. UCONN also got out rebounded against DePaul but by a much smaller margin, i think it was 10. DePaul A/T is almost identical to UCONNs so they do a nice job of moving the ball and taking care of it. Against the Cuse , DePaul shot an astounding 19-39 from 3 point range. That largely explains how they beat such a good team. It could happen to us but my sense is that we'll not let them get in position to beat us from three -land given that they don't have a big inside presence.
All in all ,UCONN is most vulnerable to teams that have a big inside presence, shoot well from the perimeter and take care of the ball. DePaul is not quite that team so I expect we'll be happy with the outcome.
I went for overall on both teams to date. Need more time to go more in depth, like retirement...lol I too think we will be happy with outcome :)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You have to be willing to give up something.
In the Baylor game the help, doubling down, even tripling was effective
Against DePaul, that's a recipe for disaster.

i expect more straight one-on-one with aggressive switching and limited help inside

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Against the Cuse , DePaul shot an astounding 19-39 from 3 point range. That largely explains how they beat such a good team. It could happen to us but my sense is that we'll not let them get in position to beat us from three -land given that they don't have a big inside presence.

So UConn gets to pick on someone their own size. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score

It worked!!!!! I was extremely happy to see that Crystal and Gabby were available tonight, and that they played well. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score

Did anybody see this coming? I thought we had a very good chance at beating DePaul, but a complete blowout was not my my radar. Total domination by the Huskies. A shock to the Blue Demons and WCBB. When UConn turns in performances like this, it makes players, coaches and fans reconsider their earlier thoughts about the their perceived diminished potency of UConn's team this season.

So far, the Huskies are getting straight A's on their first quarter tests. A 37 point first quarter would scare the hell out of any team. A quarter like that makes players and coaches on the opposing bench have difficulty keeping their mouths closed. They watch in "awe" not believing what they're seeing. A quarter like that says two things: 1. Our shots are falling tonight, we're in sync and we're all riding fresh horses. 2. It's going to be a long night for you no matter what you try to do. The Huskies were making it look easy, and were having fun. Kia was playing out of her mind. She was in a zone.

I know teams don't give up until the buzzer sounds, but when you look up at the scoreboard, and you're down 31 points after the fist 10 minutes, not only are you in awe that you're down by that big of a margin, but that your missed shots are going back the other way for fast break lay ups, you know this "ain't" your night. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom