DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Morrow is just a real tough/awkward matchup. She's undersized but extremely physical. I still think ONO is great defensively, it's just a two team sport. sometimes you have to give credit to the other team, and its star player. I think ONO will be better next time they play.

I agree with everyone that the complexion of the game kind of changed when Dorka went to the bench but I do think it was because she was in foul trouble. She's one of the better facilitators on the team and makes pretty good decisions. I still wanted her to post more against a smaller Depaul team, and there was one short range jumper she shot where I feel she should've just went all the way but thats nitpicking.

I just love that Caroline has turned into the "I got this" player. She made so many plays in the forth. I even loved the unselfish pass to Azzi for 3 when she went on her run.

I'm happy for Azzi and glad her and CW are back. I thought both pretty much looked like themselves.

I guess the biggest issue was careless turnovers and fouls. I did think Azzi and CD got beat one on one a couple times but thats a credit to the Depaul guards. Their guards are seniors and straight buckets. I could see them being a tough out in the tourney.

There were a lot of 1 big lineups, which is probably why AE only got 8 minutes. I'm not sure if its because of the matchup or the mad science has begun with the minutes distribution. Honestly looking at the boxscore, I actually like the minutes for each player. Maybe you cut Nika's minutes to 20-25. I dont know how Geno is going to find 25-30 for Paige.
While it is great to see others step up to the state in her absence, let’s not forget who we are talking about: the reigning POY. It‘s not a case of having to find 25-30 minutes for Paige, but finding ways to limit her time to 25-30 minutes per game, once she‘s 100%. One way that can happen is Caroline & Azzi fly & continue to play as they did last nite.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What in the world is going on with Edwards? The biggest mystery of Connecticut basketball. Ever....
I have made the suggestion that Aaliyah’s summer away from UConn with the Canadian national team hurt her development as a basketball player. She missed much of the off-season strength and conditioning work with Andrea Hudy and she really didn’t get much of an opportunity to play practice or real games as the last player on Canada’s 12 player roster.

I think Aaliyah has been playing catch-up ever since. My hope is that she salvages something this season and she works incredibly hard this off-season, coming back ready to contribute next season.

Reaction Score
I think the most important take away from this game is overcoming the 9 point half time deficit. This game showed to us (and possibly to the team as well) that they can overcome adversity. They didn't completely fall apart and got back in the game.

No, it wasn't a the mythical "perfect" performance obviously but they took a hit to the chops and came out on top. A game that should really help with their confidence moving forward. If they can build on this, they will be a tough out moving forward.

Reaction Score
In some ways, Morrow reminded me of a super-sized version of Nikka. Pushes every time she either defends or takes ball to basket. By the rules, fouls every play but knows the refs won't call them.
Yea...Nika is rough.

Reaction Score
name another team that's not ranked, that has five legit scorers starting? When Depaul is on their game they can beat almost anybody......I took that game as one of the few tests UConn will get in the BE this season and it was needed.......
A&M demolished that team by 20. They look good because they play in the Big East, in the Sec they would be an under 500 team. Again people inflating the Big East, but when Uconn plays another legit ranked opponent will go back to square one.

Reaction Score
Interesting to note, Caroline scored 10 of our final 14 points, all coming in the last 4 minutes. All of her scores came while we were trailing, except for her game winner. Talk about clutch with the ability to handle pressure situations.

The other 4 points were a pair of nice CW layups after Caroline had given us the lead.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No...she didn't. And Heidel (sp?) was moving on both charge calls. Wasn't even close.
It is not illegal to be moving when guarding a player, otherwise it would be impossible to play defense. A player can move backwards or sideways as long as they beat the offensive player to the spot and square up. In the plays you refer to, the players, imo, did not get there in time and were not squared up. I agree they should not have been called a charge.

Reaction Score
I have made the suggestion that Aaliyah’s summer away from UConn with the Canadian national team hurt her development as a basketball player. She missed much of the off-season strength and conditioning work with Andrea Hudy and she really didn’t get much of an opportunity to play practice or real games as the last player on Canada’s 12 player roster.

I think Aaliyah has been playing catch-up ever since. My hope is that she salvages something this season and she works incredibly hard this off-season, coming back ready to contribute next season.
I'm pretty sure she was working her butt off playing for Canada, whether she started or played or not. If she played like she is now, that's why she didn't see the floor for Canada.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This seemed like a game which was a shame not to be televised. I even checked out the WatchESPN app to see if it were available there. Was following along on the Warren Nolan scoreboard and it was thrilling to see the lead oscillate back and forth between the teams.
UConn games that are not carried by ESPN/CBS Sports are usually available on Fox Sports website. As long as your internet provider carries FS1 you'll have access to the Games. FOX Sports News, Scores, Schedules, Odds, Shows, Streams & Videos | FOX Sports I've found the games aren't listed until right before scheduled tip off time.

Reaction Score
Good point on the clock, and you may be right about the Chicago High School refs, they would be pretty familiar and accepting of Murrow's game - regardless, we can admire a player who knows where she needs to be, how to get there, and how to stay there.
Referees: Joseph Vaszily, Billy Smith, Katie Lukanich…Vaszily has been at multiple final fours. This was not a group of high school refs.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Nika is a good player but we have a lot of good players. She started the season at number 8 or 9 in the rotation. When we are healthy that's probably where she ends up. We just have too much talent to rely on Nika for more PT than any other player today. She played more minutes today than anyone. My concern is what happens when we play top competition? Her game inevitably is less impactful. And I'm not liking how she handled the offense today. Too much time screwing around 35 feet from the basket, picking up her dribble, not doing much to create good shots. When she tries to drive to the basket God help us. Least likely player on the court to create a scoring opportunity on the drive. Shooting .389 for 2 and .250 from 3 so far and 3.9 points a game. Is that helping us? I'd rather have Paige, Azzi, Caroline, CW and Evina. That makes Nika injury depth. Why do I even have to say it? She's a good player on a team of great players.
Geno would disagree with you. He says the team plays better when Nika is on the floor. But, I guess you know better than he does.

Reaction Score
I'm sure her minutes are being monitored after a long injury layoff.
Had to laugh on this (not laughing at you) the comment hit my funny bone, you're probably right like Nika's minutes were supposed to be monitored/limited. How many minutes did Nika (was it Nika?) play on her first game back?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure she was working her butt off playing for Canada, whether she started or played or not. If she played like she is now, that's why she didn't see the floor for Canada.
Different kind of work with a national team made up largely of professionals versus a college team. I doubt Aaliyah spent anywhere near as much time on strength and conditioning or developing individual skills as she would have at UConn. Getting ready for the Olympics involves setting up a rotation and spending a lot of time getting those players to work together effectively.

I suspect it became clear early on that Aaliyah was not going to be a primary contributor for Canada. As a result, I also suspect that she spent more time watching than doing.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Doesn't the clock stop upon a made bucket in the last two minutes or something like that? Brain fog ...
I think it may be the last minute. But it is play on and not a time out. The opposing player must quickly come and pick up the ball and then has 5 seconds to inbound. In this game the ref under the basket signaled time out right away as the basket was made. The refs met at the scorers table. The announcers were confused as to what they could be doing. That sure looks like a homer move.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I definitely prefer Nika starting over Evina. Nika tends to push the ball up court quickly while Evina dribbles the ball up court looking to set up the half court offense. Both are hesitant to take shots, but Nika less so in crunch time. Nika plays the game more freely, while Evina thinks more on the court leading to her hesitancy. Evina has more overall talent then Nika, but doesn't have the confidence to just play the game. Instead she seems to thinking too much. Afraid to make a mistake and doesn't ever attempt to take over a game when its needed.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious! You would have Caroline, our best player to date, demoted to coming off the bench? When Paige gets back (and healthy) we will have the ability to start different players depending on who we play. But for me, my starting lineup would always include Paige, Caroline, Azzi, Liv and Dorka. Geno on the other hand will most likely start Christyn for either Azzi or Dorka. No way Caroline goes to the bench!
Geno likes Nika getting the team started. We can't deny the team just runs more smoothly when she's in there. Like I said I have no idea why that's the case which is why I'm not a hall of fame coach, but we have two seasons worth of evidence now. Last year the team seemed to really get its act together after Nika was inserted into the lineup in January, and we saw it again two weeks ago when she came back from her injury. Maybe that's all a big coincidence, but why mess with something that seems to work well? Once Paige is back he could go back to last year's lineup for the most part except for Evina who could be replaced by Caroline or Dorka or Azzi or whomever the matchup calls for.

Reaction Score
It is not illegal to be moving when guarding a player, otherwise it would be impossible to play defense. A player can move backwards or sideways as long as they beat the offensive player to the spot and square up. In the plays you refer to, the players, imo, did not get there in time and were not squared up. I agree they should not have been called a charge.
True, but you can't be leaning in because that's not legal guarding position. Thanks for clarifying that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it may be the last minute. But it is play on and not a time out. The opposing player must quickly come and pick up the ball and then has 5 seconds to inbound. In this game the ref under the basket signaled time out right away as the basket was made. The refs met at the scorers table. The announcers were confused as to what they could be doing. That sure looks like a homer move.
I agree. I think it’s up to the shot clock operator to stop the clock until the ball is inbounded. Unless the shot clock continued to run after Caroline’s made shot, there was no reason for the refs to stop the game.

You can look at this from the other side as well. Let’s say there was 5-10 seconds left on the clock after Caroline’s basket. Without any time outs, DePaul would want to get the ball in play immediately to one of their guards in order to push the ball up the court for a shot before UConn set their defense.

By stopping play, the refs also allow the defense to get set up as well. All’s well that ends well, I guess…;)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I agree. I think it’s up to the shot clock operator to stop the clock until the ball is inbounded. Unless the shot clock continued to run after Caroline’s made shot, there was no reason for the refs to stop the game.

You can look at this from the other side as well. Let’s say there was 5-10 seconds left on the clock after Caroline’s basket. Without any time outs, DePaul would want to get the ball in play immediately to one of their guards in order to push the ball up the court for a shot before UConn set their defense.

By stopping play, the refs also allow the defense to get set up as well. All’s well that ends well, I guess…;)
Gotcha. Makes sense and now I remember! I just figured they wanted to get the clock stoppage correct, similar to if there's < 1 sec left, it tells them what can be allowed from a last "sec" shot.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Agreed. We've got to look at, and deal with her for the next 4 years. :( Think for a moment how good and dynamic she's going to be as a junior. She's a double now EVERY GAME!! If Bruno can find some support players to surround her with, DePaul will become a top ten team for sure, because they won't lose that many games. SHE is the type of player you can build a team around because she brings it EVERY game. You see what she did against us, 30 points, 14 rebounds. :eek:

She knows how to get to the free throw line, and she makes her FT, she's NOT afraid of contact under the basket, she has a nose for the ball, she's everywhere on the court. She's the type of player that YOU KNOW what you're going to get from her night in and night out.
All she has to do is stay healthy. I think we could use a clone of her for sure.

We heard about her from afar. Now we've seen her up close. Some like her, some don't. You think she could play for SC, Texas, Louisville, Maryland, ND, LSU, Tennessee or any other top 10 program? That's a rhetorical question. :) Of course she could. I knew she had a lot of points last night, but I was surprised to see that she had 30. I said this before and I'll say it again here, there are a lot of WCBB players that play 4 years and NEVER score 30 points in a game. She did it effortlessly in the flow of the game. She's going to get bigger, stronger and more mature (savy) as she grows. She's only 18. What's she going to look/play like when she's 20? :eek: Bruno has truly found a diamond in the rough in Morrow. She'll be a household name and an ALL-American for sure by the end of next year if she can keep up this pace.
Just think Carnac, they will have to deal with Caroline and Azzi for the next four years and they will be surrounded by really good support players, at least one of them great.

Reaction Score
Playing defense requires much more energy than playing offense.
Playing normal UCONN offense requires much more energy than playing our current defense.

These are hard times at the mill and I'm proud of the players' effort. But these are hard times ...

Reaction Score
Geno would disagree with you. He says the team plays better when Nika is on the floor. But, I guess you know better than he does.
He SAYS a lot of things. The key is to watch what he does. He was saying the same thing about Muhl during the latter part of last season. And what were her minutes starting this season before her injury? I don't buy that it was a continuation of last year's sprained ankle, she was fine in the preseason. I would say watch what her minutes become once Bueckers, Fudd, and Williams are all available prior to the tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom