DePaul Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

DePaul Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was a great lead-in for the ND game! Tough, fast pace, close till the end, young kids Samuelson & Collier got valuable time in, Saniya did well, our vets played like vets! Too fast paced for Natalie to get first action!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many layups has Morgan missed tonight, then fouls a DePaul player. Not one of her best efforts, but she has contributed. Morgan has scored 14 points so far with 9 Rebounds. Shouldn't be too hard on her. :)

It started in the NC game last season. If she would start hitting more of her close in shots and free throws, she would average 20 points or more. In spite of the misses, she still manages to score in double figures. I believe she will get better.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sadly some people like to bask under storm clouds. They seem to get more enjoyment from finding fault. It was a teriffic game. We need more quality opponents.

Why do people not understand that comments made in the middle of action in a game thread are going to represent what is happening at the time? You folks with crystal balls could've unveiled the end result prior to the game and saved most of those posts you don't like from occurring.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Curious little stat - Depaul came into the game shooting .472 overall and .298 from three. And tonight they shot worse overall at .413 by .059, but shot the three much better at .448 a full .150 better.

Impressive and fun game to watch - Uconn hasn't seen anything like it since Dayton, and may not see anything like it again this year. Not surprisingly they were not quite ready for what was coming their way, but I thought they played quite well in the first half and much better in the second.
Stewart was fabulous, Moriah was pretty great (ending one assist and one point short of a double double) and Collier was good early but faded and Lou was blah early, but very impressive later.
Kia Morgan and Chong played OK
I thought Gabby showed her youth, as this was the first game she has played in that was 'competitive' and she didn't look very comfortable.

Very interesting that Lou as soon as she entered in the fourth quarter became the trigger on all out of bounds plays in the back court - a lot of faith showed by the coaches in her passing and composure. Stewart was uncharacteristically shaky when she was making those passes under duress.

I hope for Depaul that Bruno can bottle this spirit and call it forth the rest of the year - they probably will not hit quite so well from three again, but the energy and movement on both ends of the floor were great and very disruptive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
DePaul hit 13 treys by 7 different players. It's tough to guard all of them.

I like this stat:

Shooting percentages by half

DePaul 48.3 then 35.3

UConn 52.9 then 47.1

The Blue Demons had the bigger drop-off.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Why do people not understand that comments made in the middle of action in a game thread are going to represent what is happening at the time? You folks with crystal balls could've unveiled the end result prior to the game and saved most of those posts you don't like from occurring.

One or two,then OK.
Non stop , game after game. That's a different story.

Fortunately our team has more poise than some of our fans ;)

Reaction Score
Did I hear the announcer say that KLS has been dealing with a finger injury?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One or two,then OK.
Non stop , game after game. That's a different story.

I think you're mistaken if you believe the comments in today's game thread, most of which were accurately pointing out why DePaul was in the game the whole night, are similar to those in other game threads where UConn normally rolls.

Reaction Score
DePaul hit 13 treys by 7 different players. It's tough to guard all of them.

I like this stat:

Shooting percentages by half

DePaul 48.3 then 35.3

UConn 52.9 then 47.1

The Blue Demons had the bigger drop-off.

Because they couldn't maintain 'the pace'. LaChina had a thing about 'the pace'.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think you're mistaken if you believe the comments in today's game thread, most of which were accurately pointing out why DePaul was in the game the whole night, are similar to those in other game threads where UConn normally rolls.

Looks about 90% negative comments to me. I may be mistaken about THAT. Could be as high as 95%.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
A post-game quote from Stewart about the first half would seem to back a lot of what was mentioned here.

"We were playing like our heads were cut off," Stewart said.

It's always help to use "Out of context" quotes. She means they were rushing and good defenses will do that. Geno will LOVE this game as a teaching experience. If you look at the complete post game comments especially by Geno he gives Depaul a lot more credit than having any negative take on the way his team played.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Looks about 90% negative comments to me. I may be mistaken about THAT. Could be as high as 95%.

Putting aside what construes a negative comment, I assume that's going to be the reaction when a team that has won 90 of 91 and had a MOV of 43 coming in struggles for most of the game. UConn was getting beat in the effort and hustle department for the majority of the game. Certainly, DePaul deserves lots of credit, but that doesn't mean it can't be pointed out that UConn wasn't upping their intensity for quite a while.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
You know exactly what she means how?

Read the entire postgame story. I can't put in on here verbatim. It's against the rules. And so are comments that concentrate on "Posting about posting" so I guess I'll stop now.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Did I hear the announcer say that KLS has been dealing with a finger injury?
Yes.
She had black tape around two fingers on her shooting hand(right hand), I believe.
Although her shooting hasnt been on target prior to tonight, it hasnt affected her overall game.

Reaction Score
Yes.
She had black tape around two fingers on her shooting hand(right hand), I believe.
Although her shooting hasnt been on target prior to tonight, it hasnt affected her overall game.

It's too bad we can't really know why Geno didn't put in KLS in 2nd half until late. Nearly every one of his players were driving into traffic or just dribbling too much and/or rushing their shots. Lou has shown she is a tremendous passer and a very heady player. That's the type of game I'd think you'd want her the most.

The only thing I can think - is that he was scared she'd get busted on defense. I don't see her that bad at all on defense. I guess he saw something in the 1sthalf he hated and maybe in practices too.

I just think as others have note too, she has surprised me and how good of a passer she seems to be. But again I've only seen a few games. Even when she came in, she looked to make quick passes and passes cross court were on the button etc - they seem decisive and accurate and not poor decisions.

Anyways, just wow - we have so many answers. DePaul played great and did outhustle us. I still never thought they were much of a threat to beat us. They were hitting 25-plus footers. Good luck with that for an entire game.

***Next time we play them if we do-- would like to see us try to run them out of the gym unless they show this season their 3pt shooting they put on us is for real. If their 3's are that good, they are a helluva team.

I know what Geno said at the end, but frankly if thye aren't shooting that accurate from 3 which the prior stats showed and we hit several of our layups - we'd run them off the court imo.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
***Next time we play them if we do-- would like to see us try to run them out of the gym unless they show this season their 3pt shooting they put on us is for real.

Play em next year in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
-No matter how well conditioned our kids are, Bruno's 5 in/5 out non-stop pressing strategy was sheer genius- and absolutely exhausting. Sure, we made lots of mistakes, but our kids were warriors who doggedly fought through the fatigue and chaos of Bruno's unique game plan- one not even Geno anticipated. I did find it a little surprising that we didn't try to take back control of the tempo by using clock on the offensive end, but instead we often responded by matching their frenetic pace, going just as fast. We are a team that likes to run, but this got out of hand.

-The last time a team shot threes like that against UConn was Dayton, last year (7-10 in 1st half). But not even Dayton was heaving from such incredible distance- many of those shots last night came from 25+ feet, easy. If I were coach and the other team wanted to shoot from 25+ feet, I'd say go ahead, knock yourself out. They were 'bad' shots that, lucky for them, went in. Fortunately, just like vs. Dayton, the 2nd half was different.

-Interesting how Geno's buddy Foster tried to take the air out of the ball and slow the game down using the entire shot clock, while buddy Bruno (with a deep bench) played at 100 mph, all the time. In the end neither succeeded, but Bruno's strategy sure as hell was entertaining.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Putting aside what construes a negative comment, I assume that's going to be the reaction when a team that has won 90 of 91 and had a MOV of 43 coming in struggles for most of the game. UConn was getting beat in the effort and hustle department for the majority of the game. Certainly, DePaul deserves lots of credit, but that doesn't mean it can't be pointed out that UConn wasn't upping their intensity for quite a while.
UCONN's intensity was fine. In fact it was intensity that led to rushing and rushing led too trying to do too much too quickly. In every game it takes a moment to assess what an opponent is attempting to throw at you. Then one chooses how to counter punch. During much of the first half DePaul was making shots and that let them set up their defensive pressure on the inbound and in the backcourt. When we rebounded the ball we moved more freely to the forecourt. At times, however, we were attempting to take unacceptably risky passes that were too long or into heavy coverage.

Of more concern was experienced players like Moriah and Nurse crossing the mid court line at the corners into trapping schemes. They needed to push farther into the forecourt and other players needed to move to spaces. The problem with the k etching in game threads is there little if any effort to gain insight into the whys and potential counter responses. Without that it is simply angst driven whining and not very enjoyable.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes.
It was mentioned previously, also.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The bottom line. DePaul shot lights out from trey. If they don't do that and shot their average which I believe is around 30% UConn wins by over 20 and its not much of a game. The way UConn did last nite showed that even under duress and chaos they find a way to win. Katie Lou is picking up very fast on college ball and Katie Lou and Collier both have shown signs of stepping up against high quality teams. Last nite both freshman showed they can perform like veterans under pressure, which shows how good they will be next season. Before this season is over with Collier Gabby Butler and Tuck we have a rebounding machine which sits well for this season and next. One other point. As great as DePaul played we won big. That shows me that its gonna take a lot more then what DePaul did last nite to beat this UConn team. Think about it. As good a DePaul played they lost at home by double digits. How much better do you have to play to beat UConn???????

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The bottom line. DePaul shot lights out from trey. If they don't do that and shot their average which I believe is around 30% UConn wins by over 20 and its not much of a game. The way UConn did last nite showed that even under duress and chaos they find a way to win. Katie Lou is picking up very fast on college ball and Katie Lou and Collier both have shown signs of stepping up against high quality teams. Last nite both freshman showed they can perform like veterans under pressure, which shows how good they will be next season. Before this season is over with Collier Gabby Butler and Tuck we have a rebounding machine which sits well for this season and next. One other point. As great as DePaul played we won big. That shows me that its gonna take a lot more then what DePaul did last nite to beat this UConn team. Think about it. As good a DePaul played they lost at home by double digits. How much better do you have to play to beat UConn???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom